Remember the samsung commercial when the two guys bumped there Galaxy S4's together to share music?(a feature nobody REALLY uses.lol) That was an NFC feature. Blackberry deserves credit for introducing it on a smartphone, but @KEVINNUGENT is right it is offerred on other platforms
    12-16-13 10:33 AM
    Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about @KEVINNUGENT is right. NFC is offered on pretty much any and every top tier android phone. But if you want to continue living in your bubble, cheers! I am sure life is a lot easier in there.
    read the topic, then run your mouth.... he's saying android had it at the same time as blackberry, which it didn't, blackberry had it before android
    12-16-13 10:33 AM
    Remember the samsung commercial when the two guys bumped there Galaxy S4's together to share music?(a feature nobody REALLY uses.lol) That was an NFC feature. Blackberry deserves credit for introducing it on a smartphone, but @KEVINNUGENT is right it is offerred on other platforms
    nobody said it wasn't offered on other platforms, your reading comprehension could use a little help
    12-16-13 10:34 AM
    So what major retailers are equipped with iBeacon. Most of them are already set up with NFC tap to pay. I have high hopes for BBM Money and hope that it's on John Chen's radar as a potential huuuuge, game changing moneymaker.
    Macy's. Don't get me wrong, I love NFC and I'd much rather it take off than the propretiary iBeacon, although Apple has a strong backing.
    12-16-13 10:36 AM
    nobody said it wasn't offered on other platforms, your reading comprehension could use a little help
    Not really. Yours could certainly be fine tuned though. He said:

Or an Android! Oh wait...
    and he even clarified so you understood that he was simply saying NFC is not exclusive to Blackberry. You're the only person not comprehending bud. He didn't one time say it was offered at the same time, you just created that ALL by your lonesome.
    12-16-13 10:39 AM
    youre right, Im confusing another thread, and for arguements sake, as far as NFC goes android was first to put it on a phone (galaxy s) about 3 mos before blackberry, BUT it could only read tags -no transactions
    12-16-13 10:48 AM
    Nfc rocks, can't wait till the TD app allows Nfc payment by phone. For now it's just tap and go with my card
    12-16-13 10:57 AM
    Just paid for coffee at Starbucks using the official Starbucks Android app on my white Z10. Barista didn't notice.
    randall2580 likes this.
    12-16-13 11:01 AM
    NFC is pretty much the norm right now? Really? So the majority of purchases are made with NFC rather than swiping cards? Really? I mean, is that really what you mean. It's the norm, so it must happen the majority of times, right? So all those people I see swiping credit cards are actually using NFC on their phones, right?

I thought not.

Posted via CB10
    Are you not aware of PayPass and Wave implemented by VISA and MasterCard? Those are tap by NFC systems and they are not going away. You seem to think NFC's future is dependent on adaptation by phones which it's not, and the technology is only going to grow,. The major card companies didn't invest in all those terminals for it to be a passing fad. NFC is the future and mobile platform use is going to expand.
    12-16-13 11:46 AM
    youre right, Im confusing another thread, and for arguements sake, as far as NFC goes android was first to put it on a phone (galaxy s) about 3 mos before blackberry, BUT it could only read tags -no transactions
    Oh thanks for the clarification. I actually thought Blackberry was first. Well, its an awesome feature, and a good addition to the features offered by BB10. Thanks.
    12-16-13 11:51 AM
    Try that with an iPhone.

This statement right here, this attitude, this idea that hey, look at this one feature that the iPhone doesn't have, is a perfect synopsis on why the iPhone continues to grow while the BlackBerry will soon be sold for parts.

The company doesn't get it, they never did, and it appears most BlackBerry fans are in the dark as well.
    12-16-13 12:01 PM
    Nice simple NFC reference: NFC World • Near field communication (NFC) news and analysis

NFC is starting to mature nicely on smartphones. As long as the buy in for businesses is in line, it will continue to grow.
    12-16-13 12:10 PM
    Just paid for coffee at Starbucks using the official Starbucks Android app on my white Z10. Barista didn't notice.
    I've been using the MAKE app from BBworld. Works fine. For those interested, Make is NOT android.
    12-16-13 12:13 PM
    WRONG. He said a year from now it will be the preferred method of payment. Stop trying to defind wild and unsubstantiated lunical statements.

Posted via CB10
    "Lunical"? What?
    Settle down dude. I predict you'll end up being wrong, but that's just my (and others) opinions.
    12-16-13 12:17 PM
    Try that with an iPhone.

This statement right here, this attitude, this idea that hey, look at this one feature that the iPhone doesn't have, is a perfect synopsis on why the iPhone continues to grow while the BlackBerry will soon be sold for parts.

The company doesn't get it, they never did, and it appears most BlackBerry fans are in the dark as well.
    Bwahahahahaha! "One feature"... You mean like Miracast? Or Wifi direct? Or screen sharing? Or BBM Channels? Bwahahahahaha... >sucks in breath<
    :>)
    Oh yeah... 5" screen? Stereo speakers? 4 mics?
    Bwahahahahaha!!! You're killing me man... stop it!!!!!!
    :>)

EDIT... Ahahahahaha!!! What about a REAL file system?
    EDIT Again... Oh yeah... USBOTG?
    Bwahahahahaha!!!!
    :>p
    dusdal likes this.
    12-16-13 12:21 PM
    Huh? I guess someone should call or better yet sue Starbucks for using that word. =0)
    Whoosh
    12-16-13 12:24 PM
    Whoosh
    Yup that's what I thought, lol.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055 O2 UK
    12-16-13 12:40 PM
    One participant in particular is just a pot-stirrer that does not deserve the effort of a response.
    Damn it...now why did you have to go and post this? I was even going to call out a thread crapper here (not named Benjamin.)
    12-16-13 12:48 PM
    Please explain the process for me. I loaded the Tim Hortons app onto my Z10. I assume I have to go and buy a Timmys card for $25 or something. Then I enter the card number and hidden PIN number.
    So I have a card loaded with $25 on my phone.

So if i go and buy a donut, I just tap the back of my phone to some tap n go terminal? Does my Timmys app have to be open? Do I have to enter some code?
    12-16-13 01:25 PM
    ibeacon will be the HD DVD of mobile payments.
    J Morehouse likes this.
    12-16-13 01:36 PM
    Please explain the process for me. I loaded the Tim Hortons app onto my Z10. I assume I have to go and buy a Timmys card for $25 or something. Then I enter the card number and hidden PIN number.
    So I have a card loaded with $25 on my phone.

So if i go and buy a donut, I just tap the back of my phone to some tap n go terminal? Does my Timmys app have to be open? Do I have to enter some code?
    Just bought a coffee and Chicken Panini... as simple as having the app open and the Tims Card page selected. Told the cashier I was paying with a Tims Card, she pointed to the pay terminal. I selected Pay Now and tapped the top corner of the phone on the pad. Transaction done, balance debited. No need to connect to WIFI or run data, that's for updating. As long as there is a balance on the phone, it works.

Actually pretty slick.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 02:03 PM
    I'd be surprised if ibeacon is for point of sale. BT LE doesn't use a password IIRC. I can't see the banks buying into it as a POS system.

What ibeacon is supposed to do is track the shopper around the store.

I'd like to pay by credit card and have the receipt go to phone via NFC. Probably never happen.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 02:15 PM
    On a related note, if Apple doesn't get on board with NFC, they're idiots. A year from now this will be a common and preferred method of payment.
    from PocketLint 18 Sept 2013:

Let's put this into a scenario: Say you own an iPhone 5S and you're walking by a Starbucks that has a beacon. When you enter that beacon's zone, the beacon will transmit special promotions, coupons, recommendations, etc, to your iPhone 5S via the Starbucks app. Beacons will also accept payments, so you can pay for a Starbucks coffee without having to bump or tap your phone against anything.

Apple believes their answer is better and will be more widely adopted. Time will tell.

Apple's iBeacons explained: What it is and why it matters - Pocket-lint
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-16-13 02:27 PM
    >sucks in breath<
    LOL! I lost it right there.

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip likes this.
    12-16-13 05:27 PM
    WOW, this Benjamin guy is getting so defensive, it's pretty hilarious... I am just commenting here so I can quickly jump back in here because it's quite funny and entertaining, lol. :-D
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-16-13 05:35 PM
272 ... 45678 ...