Hahaha nice! Someone should really add this feature in their top ten list of things an iPhone can't do...maybe we should do a video about it...

Posted via CB10
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    12-15-13 11:48 PM
    But Apple will call it is and act like it is new. IBeacon is blue tooth NY another name as well. Not suitable for transactions. Not secure at all

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 12:02 AM
    The approach apple seems to want to be taking will be a combination of ibeacon and Bluetooth for the payment system.

I had been roaming around with an NFC / Google wallet phone for a year and never used the NFC payment system. I'm finally using Google wallet thanks to the attached mastercard, classic style.

I do use passbook to pay all the time at Starbucks. There's not really any reason that NFC would be better than optical readers if the retailers are willing to take on the burden of attaching the QR code scanners.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Depending on whether you have a case or screen off, with nfc you don't have to open the case or remove it or turn on the screen. You don't have to jeopardize the screen against the optical reader. You just tap the rear non-fragile side of the phone and you are paid.
    12-16-13 12:15 AM
    How's the coverage there?

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely lousy. I sent an email complaint to my carrier which should arrive in 6 months.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055 O2 UK
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-16-13 12:28 AM
    Absolute baloney, sorry to be blunt. Android is also specially chosen too!

https://www.cibc.com/ca/features/mobile-payment.html
    So you use a new link and say my post is baloney. Rogers NFC was available in the BlackBerry Bold some time ago. Z10 recently and now Android. Show us some dates with your lunch meat next time.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 12:45 AM
    Depending on whether you have a case or screen off, with nfc you don't have to open the case or remove it or turn on the screen. You don't have to jeopardize the screen against the optical reader. You just tap the rear non-fragile side of the phone and you are paid.
    There's usually no physical contact at all with the optical reader. It's held a few cm away. It also has the side security advantage of being obvious to you when data can be read. That part isn't too much of a concern, admittedly, but in the US at least it seems like using QR codes and optical readers has a lot more momentum than NFC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    12-16-13 12:50 AM
    I wouldn't say "preferred", but I think it will definitely be popular. Isis seems to be off to a decent start. Google Wallet started slow but seems to be making progress lately, at least in the US.

The infrastructure is coming along. There are definitely many millions of terminals already deployed and pretty much any recent PoS can be upgraded easily.

The negative is that it takes coordination between many parties to make it work for a given customer at a given location. This is why BB's taps only work at a couple of merchants in Canada, or a particular combination of bank/phone network. I think that will start to go away as this becomes more standardized.

So I think if we look at this again in Dec 2014, NFC will be quite popular for payment. iBeacon, IMO, is useful for purposes other than actual payment.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    ibeacon will be used for targeted advertising

12-16-13 01:10 AM
    Absolute baloney, sorry to be blunt. Android is also specially chosen too!

https://www.cibc.com/ca/features/mobile-payment.html
    uhmmm, no you're wrong....again

12-16-13 01:13 AM
    I've been quite surprised by this thread (I know, I ought to be used to these sorts of arguments by now....)

Why I am so surprised? Because some contributors seem to be so incredibly parochial.

One participant in particular is just a pot-stirrer that does not deserve the effort of a response.
    12-16-13 01:14 AM
    One participant in particular is just a pot-stirrer that does not deserve the effort of a response.
    Someone said in another thread, "don't feed the monkey(s)" - so I'm hiding the peanuts
    12-16-13 01:27 AM
    uhmmm, no you're wrong....again

Read the website. galaxy s4 and III included. I think they run android.
    12-16-13 04:55 AM
    Went into my local Starbucks today and freaked out the barista. Pulled out my Z10 on Rogers with the CIBC mobile payment and tapped to pay. She was giving me the what the heck are you doing look then her till said payment approved.
    Priceless.
    Try that with an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    This is where I think BB has missed a huge opportunity, NFC payments. Make it simple and easy, and the masses will follow. It is the most under utilized function on any 7.0 or later BB....just my $.02
    12-16-13 07:09 AM
    Oh wow, it's widespread in Canada now? Well that seals it. I'm wrong. NFC will be THE NUMBER ONE payment method around the world in 12 short months.

WRONG.

Posted via CB10
    So we've gone from one poster saying NFC will be "a common and preferred" method of payment, through normal, the norm, dominant to now THE NUMBER ONE. Your logical fallacy is Special Pleading. We have seen quite a few examples of how common NFC payments have become in some markets, and heard from quite a few people how this is their preferred method of payment.

Perhaps your emotional tie to this subject arises from the suggestion that Apple may be caught on the back foot. The truth is iBeacon will succeed or fail quite independently, and probably along side of, NFC payment. iBeacon has a lot to recommended it as a marketing tool. That alone will probably be enough to secure it a place at the cash register. But the suggested ease of payment with iBeacon compared to NFC "iBeacon, on the other hand, can broadcast up to 150 feet, which could allow for customers to simply leave their phones in their pockets and automatically pay as they walk out of the store." is enough to convince me to not install iBeacon applications that allow payment.
    12-16-13 07:33 AM
    NFC is pretty much the norm right now? Really? So the majority of purchases are made with NFC rather than swiping cards? Really? I mean, is that really what you mean. It's the norm, so it must happen the majority of times, right? So all those people I see swiping credit cards are actually using NFC on their phones, right?

I thought not.

Posted via CB10
    Stupidity at its best.

Posted via CB10
    Captain_Hilts likes this.
    12-16-13 07:38 AM
    Read the website. galaxy s4 and III included. I think they run android.
    and your still wrong
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-16-13 08:27 AM
    Oh no! An argument on the internet!

Given that we're on CB, isn't it more appropriate to discuss whether or not this capability could help Blackberry than whether or not it will morph at some indefinite point into the preferred method of payment for everyone?

It is unquestionably useful to be able to pay this way. But since it is not unique to Blackberry, and since rival hardware makers may implement their own competing systems, could it really help generate hardware sales for Waterloo? How? What differentiates it on BB10? What part of it, if any, might make an average Android or iOS user switch?

In other words, was that barista, from so many pages ago, freaked out enough to *buy* a Blackberry?
    12-16-13 08:50 AM
    I think calling people baristas when they're not here to defend themselves is utterly deplorable.

niss63 and Omnitech like this.
    12-16-13 08:59 AM
    In the USA we don't have NFC, was have NSA!!!!
    I've used my Canadian NFC credit card at several retailers in the US (Walgreens, Foot Locker, etc). It's definitely there.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-16-13 09:03 AM
    This is where I think BB has missed a huge opportunity, NFC payments. Make it simple and easy, and the masses will follow. It is the most under utilized function on any 7.0 or later BB....just my $.02
    Unfortunately, I think you are right. Now, when Apple starts putting NFC in their phone, then people will think it is the best thing ever and rally behind it calling Apple an "Innovative" company. Wait and see.
    12-16-13 09:15 AM
    Unfortunately, I think you are right. Now, when Apple starts putting NFC in their phone, then people will think it is the best thing ever and rally behind it calling Apple an "Innovative" company. Wait and see.
    Doing something in a way that will appeal to the masses is just as innovative as doing something for the first time. People don't give a crap who invents a process; they care only about whether or not they can understand how to do it, and whether or not the hardware they have *already bought* supports it.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-16-13 09:22 AM
    I think calling people baristas when they're not here to defend themselves is utterly deplorable.

Huh? I guess someone should call or better yet sue Starbucks for using that word. =0)
    12-16-13 09:22 AM
    Huh? I guess someone should call or better yet sue Starbucks for using that word. =0)
    I think so, in Welsh it means "fatherless son of a three legged she goat"

12-16-13 09:31 AM
    This thread has some wonderful information for those who can see probably a business opportunity to offer NFC compatible POS systems...
    12-16-13 09:34 AM
    Yeah - NFC rocks, especially if someone gets a hold of your credit card and goes on a blitz with under $50 transactions...

There is ZERO security on under $50 transactions with NFC. They should still make you enter a pin.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    12-16-13 10:20 AM
    and your still wrong
    Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about @KEVINNUGENT is right. NFC is offered on pretty much any and every top tier android phone. But if you want to continue living in your bubble, cheers! I am sure life is a lot easier in there.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-16-13 10:24 AM
272 ... 34567 ...