Benjamin, right now all the processors are going through a major shift due to new payment industry st

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 07:53 PM
    It's not going to take off, so don't worry, you're nightmare scenario of Apple having another successful release won't come to fruition for this reason.

Posted via CB10
    Wow... must be hard to stay humble when you're omniscient.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 07:57 PM
    In the USA all the processors and card companies are going through a major shift. New standards require smart chops in all the cards starting in 2014 as well as higher encryption rates. I just recently bought a new terminal for my business because mine was a dinosaur and I. NFC certainly could become a major player here, especially if the younger generation gets into it and since major changes are already happening. Supply and demand.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 07:58 PM
    I've been quite surprised by this thread (I know, I ought to be used to these sorts of arguments by now....)

Why I am so surprised? Because some contributors seem to be so incredibly parochial.

In some parts of the world NFC payment has been standard in big city coffee shops and cafes for years.

NFC is very common in Istanbul (Turkey), and most people make their NFC payments via their smartphones (historically most smartphones in Turkey have not had NFC chips built in - so you get a chip on what seems like a slip of greaseproof paper, that is inserted between the battery and the outer case). NFC payments certainly makes queues move a lot faster

The most common credit card in the UK (Barclaycard) has had an NFC chip in it for nearly three years now. UK now has c. 250,000 NFC enabled pay-points

You can also pay by NFC in Charles de Gaulle airport (Paris, France), and high end shops in Dubai (UAE), and on some London (England) buses, etc, etc

Just because something is not yet embedded in the US, it does not mean that the rest of the world is not adopting it as standard

My only issue with NFC in the UK is that my carrier (EE UK) will only enable NFC Payments on a BlackBerry if you also have a Barclaycard credit card (and I dislike Barclaycard intensely!) - if you have a Samsung phone, you can have NFC payment functionality from EE that is not linked to a specific credit card provider
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 12-15-13 at 09:42 PM.
    12-15-13 09:25 PM
    NFC is pretty much the norm right now? Really? So the majority of purchases are made with NFC rather than swiping cards? Really? I mean, is that really what you mean. It's the norm, so it must happen the majority of times, right? So all those people I see swiping credit cards are actually using NFC on their phones, right?

I thought not.

Posted via CB10
    NFC is quite widespread in Canada. Most gas stations, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, some grocery stores, etc. offer it. Just because the US isn't as NFC oriented doesn't mean other places aren't. The technology is available in many places here, but not everyone takes advantage of it. Now is the time when more people are going to be.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 09:28 PM
    I thought you were going to pay with the Make app

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 10:14 PM
    Wow... must be hard to stay humble when you're omniscient.

Posted via CB10
    Too hard. So I don't bother.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 10:19 PM
    I've been quite surprised by this thread (I know, I ought to be used to these sorts of arguments by now....)

Why I am so surprised? Because some contributors seem to be so incredibly parochial.

In some parts of the world NFC payment has been standard in big city coffee shops and cafes for years.

NFC is very common in Istanbul (Turkey), and most people make their NFC payments via their smartphones (historically most smartphones in Turkey have not had NFC chips built in - so you get a chip on what seems like a slip of greaseproof paper, that is inserted between the battery and the outer case). NFC payments certainly makes queues move a lot faster

The most common credit card in the UK (Barclaycard) has had an NFC chip in it for nearly three years now. UK now has c. 250,000 NFC enabled pay-points

You can also pay by NFC in Charles de Gaulle airport (Paris, France), and high end shops in Dubai (UAE), and on some London (England) buses, etc, etc

Just because something is not yet embedded in the US, it does not mean that the rest of the world is not adopting it as standard

My only issue with NFC in the UK is that my carrier (EE UK) will only enable NFC Payments on a BlackBerry if you also have a Barclaycard credit card (and I dislike Barclaycard intensely!) - if you have a Samsung phone, you can have NFC payment functionality from EE that is not linked to a specific credit card provider
    NFC will not be the standard payment method in one year. The poster who said that was wrong. I am right. All this jibber jabber is irrelevant and does not detract from the correct point that I've made.

It's the standard for paying for coffee in Turkey? Wow. It can be used in one airport in France? Unbelievable. OMG, I can pay for some buses in one city in the UK by NFC??? Well color me convinced. NFC won't only be the dominant payment method on earth in a year. It will be the ONLY method. That poster just have been right when he said NFC will be the norm payment standard in just one little year.

No...

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 10:25 PM
    NFC is quite widespread in Canada. Most gas stations, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, some grocery stores, etc. offer it. Just because the US isn't as NFC oriented doesn't mean other places aren't. The technology is available in many places here, but not everyone takes advantage of it. Now is the time when more people are going to be.

Posted via CB10
    Oh wow, it's widespread in Canada now? Well that seals it. I'm wrong. NFC will be THE NUMBER ONE payment method around the world in 12 short months.

WRONG.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 10:26 PM
    I thought you were going to pay with the Make app

Posted via CB10
    Well I did pay with my MAKE app first but owed $0.78 so paid the difference with my phone and that freaked her out.
    The look on her face was priceless.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 10:29 PM
    So what major retailers are equipped with iBeacon. Most of them are already set up with NFC tap to pay. I have high hopes for BBM Money and hope that it's on John Chen's radar as a potential huuuuge, game changing moneymaker.
    The approach apple seems to want to be taking will be a combination of ibeacon and Bluetooth for the payment system.

I had been roaming around with an NFC / Google wallet phone for a year and never used the NFC payment system. I'm finally using Google wallet thanks to the attached mastercard, classic style.

I do use passbook to pay all the time at Starbucks. There's not really any reason that NFC would be better than optical readers if the retailers are willing to take on the burden of attaching the QR code scanners.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    12-15-13 10:30 PM
    How's the coverage there?

Posted via CB10
    The bandwidth available per person isn't bad.

Omnitech likes this.
    12-15-13 10:35 PM
    I live on Mississippi where we don't have indoor plumbing or electricity. How do you use the nFC at the coffee shop? See what I mean? We are too poor to afford capitalizing letters

Posted via CB10
    Aren't consonants free? Thought you just had to buy vowels...

The girl at Tim's looked at me weird when I said Tim Card and reached in the drive in window with my phone. Gave a look when it was approved.

I was lucky that terminal worked. First time I tried it inside that Tim's, it didn't work. Fortunately that lady had the Timmy Me app and thought the terminal just needed an upgrade.

It would be great if NFC worked on all carriers with Visa, MC and Interac Flash.

People are mentioning Apple and how they're behind the times. Let's be honest here. If Apple puts NFC in their phones, it will take off. It's been out there for a year or so on BlackBerry (the Rogers/CIBC NFC payment), yet hasn't taken off.

I for one am hoping they decide to do it soon.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 10:38 PM
    People are mentioning Apple and how they're behind the times. Let's be honest here. If Apple puts NFC in their phones, it will take off. It's been out there for a year or so on BlackBerry (the Rogers/CIBC NFC payment), yet hasn't taken off.
    Exactly. If Apple adopts it, it will become universally popular and revolutionary. Until the, not so much. Most credit/debit cards here in Australia now have chips in them. In fact my drivers license has one too. But there are very few terminals that are "touch and go" types. It hasn't really taken here. A lot of security concerns surfaced at the start and sort of kyboshed it.
    12-15-13 10:45 PM
    Aren't consonants free? Thought you just had to buy vowels...

The girl at Tim's looked at me weird when I said Tim Card and reached in the drive in window with my phone. Gave a look when it was approved.

I was lucky that terminal worked. First time I tried it inside that Tim's, it didn't work. Fortunately that lady had the Timmy Me app and thought the terminal just needed an upgrade.

It would be great if NFC worked on all carriers with Visa, MC and Interac Flash.

I for one am hoping they decide to do it soon.

Posted via CB10
    The whole Rogers and CIBC and BlackBerry phones is a test. Rogers plan to roll it out to other cards but this way the bugs get worked out first.

In Canada at least, BlackBerry was the company chosen to make it safe and secure on the software side.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 10:49 PM
    The whole Rogers and CIBC and BlackBerry phones is a test. Rogers plan to roll it out to other cards but this way the bugs get worked out first.

In Canada at least, BlackBerry was the company chosen to make it safe and secure on the software side.

Posted via CB10
    Absolute baloney, sorry to be blunt. Android is also specially chosen too!

https://www.cibc.com/ca/features/mobile-payment.html
    12-15-13 10:54 PM
    Even CanadianTire has paypass now, maybe a 100years after they put the paypass in their card but now my local stores are equipped to handle their own cards (I do enjoy the irony of that lol)

If CanadianTire can bring the technology to tap their card in their store....eventually I cant see how this wont be the preferred method sooner or later. People would rather not be hassled carrying more plastic cards than they have to, atleast I wouldnt want to be bothered with different credit cards in my wallet.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-15-13 10:55 PM
    Really? In one year from right now NFC is going to be the preferred method of payment? Really? As in you actually believe this? Okay....

No, you're wrong.

Posted via CB10
    Google have made modifications to their implementation of NFC as US carriers refuse to support Google Wallet.

http://www.androidauthority.com/andr...at-nfc-313166/
    Last edited by CJH_; 12-15-13 at 11:12 PM.
    12-15-13 11:01 PM
    Nfc could also be used for many different actions such as a transportation pass or door opener for buildings and...
    i believe in near future Nfc payment will replace old method's of payment .
    keep in mind Nfc is not very new technology and the first smartphone with Nfc released almost 3years ago(google nexus s)

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 11:02 PM
    Oh wow, it's widespread in Canada now? Well that seals it. I'm wrong. NFC will be THE NUMBER ONE payment method around the world in 12 short months.

WRONG.

Posted via CB10
    WRONG.

Where did I say or imply that it would be the NUMBER ONE payment method around the world in twelve short months? I was telling you that it is widely available in Canada and just because the country in which you live isn't as NFC capable doesn't mean other countries are lacking, as well. The United States is just one country on the planet.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-15-13 11:03 PM
    I was at a Home Depot the other day and their chip readers weren't working... the attendant told me to swipe my card. I'd almost forgot how, stripe in or out?

It's also amusing when I host my California friends up here in the summer and we're out at a restaraunt. I pay the bill at the table with the wireless Point of Sale unit and they are impressed every time. :P

Tap & Pay is everywhere here as well, hopefully they get the smartphone end of it more integrated.

Cheers,
    If that card reader doesn't have a cable, I'm not using it.

Ever heard of card cloning over WiFi?
    12-15-13 11:07 PM

WRONG.

Posted via CB10
    Now your just being totally ****** like. Why insult Canada because it has something that America doesn't yet. You seem to be totally outnumbered in being wrong so suck it up, man up and stop being so rude to everyone. They are telling you total fact and your calling them blatant liars or making fun of them.

So what if it becomes the norm, is your world over if it does?

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    12-15-13 11:08 PM
    I think the way to make NFC used by more people is if more banks, carriers, and businesses make apps for it. CIBC has said they will be release their mobile payment app for other carriers, as well. This is exactly what will make it more popular in Canada. The infrastructure is pretty much there now. Marketing will help, as well.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 11:15 PM
    They have something called iBeacon which is already been taking off for them.
    NFC hardware is in place everywhere you can "tap to pay" which for me is just about everywhere... and iBeacon is exactly nowhere (unless you count Apple stores which I don't set foot in more than once every two years). If Apple can get enough retailers to care and then also get consumers to care more power to 'em... but a lot of retailers see Apple as a threat, not a long-term 'partner'... NFC payments are being advocated by banks, individual retailers, etc. I think retailers won't want to give Apple (or google for that matter) power over the payment stream... NFC is vendor neutral pretty much and I personally like it that way.

...and most credit card terminals have NFC built in, even if a given retailer isn't using it. If your credit card has a chip in it, it's probably possible for that card to use NFC, but your bank has to enable it.

Here's bank making an iPhone case that adds their own NFC chip to an iPhone:

http://www.nfcworld.com/2013/07/03/3...ts-nationwide/
    southlander and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    12-15-13 11:42 PM
    NFC hardware is in place everywhere you can "tap to pay" which for me is just about everywhere... and iBeacon is exactly nowhere (unless you count Apple stores which I don't set foot in more than once every two years). If Apple can get enough retailers to care and then also get consumers to care more power to 'em.
    I notice our stores seem to have Tap-to-pay terminals that aren't actually hooked up. (I tried this at Macy's, only to be told it doesn't work).

12-15-13 11:43 PM
272 ... 23456 ...