Went into my local Starbucks today and freaked out the barista. Pulled out my Z10 on Rogers with the CIBC mobile payment and tapped to pay. She was giving me the what the heck are you doing look then her till said payment approved.
    Priceless.
    Try that with an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Just looked at the Cibc mobile app. Where is the NFC mobile payment section? It's not listed at BlackBerry World as being able to do that. Just regular online banking features.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 11:10 AM
    We're neighbour then? I'm on 5th world country.

Posted via CB10
    Sweet

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055 O2 UK
    12-15-13 11:24 AM
    Just looked at the Cibc mobile app. Where is the NFC mobile payment section? It's not listed at BlackBerry World as being able to do that. Just regular online banking features.
    It's a different app, more information here:

https://www.cibc.com/m/features/mobile-payment.html

It does require a particular SIM from Rogers.
    12-15-13 11:27 AM
    What about this MAKE App I see on BlackBerry World.. has anyone tried it? I guess this one uses bar codes, no NFC right?

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 11:37 AM
    What about this MAKE App I see on BlackBerry World.. has anyone tried it? I guess this one uses bar codes, no NFC right?

Posted via CB10
    MAKE works fine but, yes, it is a Bar Code based app. I've now used it a number of times.
    12-15-13 12:06 PM
    Or an Android! Oh wait...
    Nope sorry that was 100% Canadian made BlackBerry, secure and efficiency at its best!

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    12-15-13 12:08 PM
    Really? In one year from right now NFC is going to be the preferred method of payment? Really? As in you actually believe this? Okay....

No, you're wrong.

Posted via CB10
    Hey stay tuned guys, Benjamin is going to predict how to stop world hunger and the National debt next..................

bradu1, mujahid 10 and canuckvoip like this.
    12-15-13 12:10 PM
    Went into my local Starbucks today and freaked out the barista. Pulled out my Z10 on Rogers with the CIBC mobile payment and tapped to pay. She was giving me the what the heck are you doing look then her till said payment approved.
    Priceless.
    Try that with an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Is the CIBC mobile payment a paid service? That would suck because I don't want to get 1% cut every time I have to pay with my phone. On the other hand with AMEX card I got 2% back...
    12-15-13 12:15 PM
    This is NFC payment, right?
    I think Android has NFC, too. But maybe the payment method is not so common, that's why the Barista freaks out.

I live in third world country, I think NFC Payment might take much much longer here.
    I live in a third world country too but here NFC is getting popular with micro payments. BlackBerry is not doing anything to capitalise it here.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 12:20 PM
    Can anyone confirm this works with Z30? App isn't available for it, buy side loading the Z10 bar should work fine though right?

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 12:34 PM
    NFC is awesome. I always try and use it with my credit cards when the amount is under 50. Though, deployment is not widespread yet. Which is surprising considering both my major credit cards have had them for years. There's been numerous times where I've tapped and the till person goes "oh that doesn't work yet." So now I always look closely at their machines first.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 12:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    In Blackberry world search "MAKE" an app for paying at Starbucks 269 reviews with five star rating includes several different methods of paying at Starbucks.
    12-15-13 12:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    I downloaded it but I can't use it as it is not supported by Starbucks here in Malaysia.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 12:55 PM
    Love it!!!
    12-15-13 12:59 PM
    I use to develop new payment channels for banks & credit card companies and I know that this NFC will be very popular due to its trends of using paypass & wave from Visa & Mastercard.

It now boils down to how the payment networks take advantage of this. Here in my country, we are beginning to use the stored value card as a means of payment in a variety of merchants & thus moving away from traditionally paying for transportation costs like bus fares & train fares.

I believe certain Telco's and of course phone manufacturers like BlackBerry can take the lead in this to create a new market for themselves.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 01:05 PM
    Make works awesome. I use it.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 01:33 PM
    It's a different app, more information here:

https://www.cibc.com/m/features/mobile-payment.html

It does require a particular SIM from Rogers.
    Crap unavailable for z30

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 01:52 PM
    what makes you so sure you are right? just writing you're wrong does not make You Right. NFC on debit and credit cards are pretty much the norm right now and with it being added to almost all phones, well then I would have to think the other person is Right and You are Wrong.
    NFC is pretty much the norm right now? Really? So the majority of purchases are made with NFC rather than swiping cards? Really? I mean, is that really what you mean. It's the norm, so it must happen the majority of times, right? So all those people I see swiping credit cards are actually using NFC on their phones, right?

I thought not.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 01:57 PM
    Yup, there aren't many places I can't pay with NFC technology of some kind. I don't have any equipped credit or debit cards because without being able to turn them off the security model sucks. My smartphone I can turn off.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, ok, so since, accorindg to you, "there aren't many places [you] can't pay with NFC technology of some kind," it's the norm, as is said in the post with which you agreed?

So, it's "the norm" now? That's funny because pretty much everyone I see using a credit card swipes it. Except a few bozos at Starbucks.

So tell me again how it's "the norm" right now. Because you agreeded with that silliness.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 02:00 PM
    I wouldn't say "preferred", but I think it will definitely be popular. Isis seems to be off to a decent start. Google Wallet started slow but seems to be making progress lately, at least in the US.

The infrastructure is coming along. There are definitely many millions of terminals already deployed and pretty much any recent PoS can be upgraded easily.

The negative is that it takes coordination between many parties to make it work for a given customer at a given location. This is why BB's taps only work at a couple of merchants in Canada, or a particular combination of bank/phone network. I think that will start to go away as this becomes more standardized.

So I think if we look at this again in Dec 2014, NFC will be quite popular for payment. iBeacon, IMO, is useful for purposes other than actual payment.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Right. It will be more "popular". Far far far from the norm.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-15-13 02:01 PM
    NFC is pretty much the norm right now? Really? So the majority of purchases are made with NFC rather than swiping cards? Really? I mean, is that really what you mean. It's the norm, so it must happen the majority of times, right? So all those people I see swiping credit cards are actually using NFC on their phones, right?

I thought not.

Posted via CB10
    The fact that you keep going back to swiping shows that your point of view is very US centric. I haven't paid by swiping in a couple of years. Chip and PIN have all but replaced swiping every where I go, except the US. NFC tap and pay is growing very fast. I can even buy groceries that way.

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 and mujahid 10 like this.
    12-15-13 02:02 PM
    Nope sorry that was 100% Canadian made BlackBerry, secure and efficiency at its best!

My point was this is not exclusive to Blackberry. Don't get so riled up about it.
    Fidel Mercado and Saiga like this.
    12-15-13 02:55 PM
    The fact that you keep going back to swiping shows that your point of view is very US centric. I haven't paid by swiping in a couple of years. Chip and PIN have all but replaced swiping every where I go, except the US. NFC tap and pay is growing very fast. I can even buy groceries that way.

Posted via CB10
    My point of view is that NFC will not be the norm for payment in a year. That is my only point. Others are falling all over themselves to tell me I'm wrong, yet my only point was that it was pure idiocy to think that NFC will be THE NORM for payments in a year.

So I ask you, do you believe that NFC will be the predominant method of payment in one year. If you do not, then you agree with my original point.

Thank you for your agreement and ceasation of pointless argumentative posts when, in the end, you know what I know: that I'm right.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 03:45 PM

I thought not.

Posted via CB10
    He didn't say that it's the "norm" Re method of payment. He said having it on credit cards is the "norm", which is true, most cards now have the nfc chip. There's a good chance it will become the "norm".

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-15-13 04:00 PM
    So is this app side loaded or something? I can't seem to find it in blackberry world.. or maybe because I'm with Fido? Wonder if it's restricted completely to rogers. This exclusive sheet is bs.

Posted via CB10 on the Z10
    12-15-13 04:07 PM
272 1234 ...