Hi everyone!

I'm still waiting on AT&T to reveal something about the Z10 and hopefully this will happen soon. In the meantime, the delay has given me a bit of time to contemplate the type of case and/or protection for my future Z10.

I don't want to take any chances with my (future) Z10. I've found both the Transform Shell and Flip Shell very attractive but I'm a bit skeptical about the different kinds of protection they offer. What I really like about the Flip Shell is that it covers the screen while the device isn't in in use and dims the screen to save battery life. The only drawback, though, is that the device's screen is left uncovered while in use and while charging. I have a Convertible Case for my Playbook and so far leaving the screen uncovered while in use hasn't been a problem, but the Z10 would get much more use in various situations than my PB.

As for the Transform Shell, I like the overall look of the case. I believe the case itself comes with screen protectors, which is somewhat of a bonus (depending on the quality of the covers). So I have a few questions for current Z10 owners and would really appreciate the feedback!

How durable is the Z10's screen? Is it pretty scratch resistant? And what about the bezels? Are they also pretty scratch resistant (like paint chipping? My Torch had this problem)?

For those who have the Transform Shell, how do you like it? Do you use the provided screen protectors? Do they hinder the touch functionality or experience?

For those that have the Flip Shell, how do you like it? Do you find it a bit cumbersome to use the device with the case open? Do you have any kind of protection over the screen to prevent damage while in use?

Thank you so much for your help! I figured I may as well ask while I have the time! I truly appreciate your feedback!
    02-22-13 06:43 PM
    Have the transform and love it. Feels great, gives a bit more grip. Have not put the protector on yet. I don't like the idea of having to flip something open every time I use it.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    02-22-13 06:55 PM
    I use the Flip Shell and I like it. I found it a minor annoyance at first, but after 2 weeks now I don't even notice it's there as it seems such a natural part of the phone. I don't use an additional screen protector with it. If the shell is open it's "safely" in my hands....when I'm done the shell is closed and screen is protected from keys and coins and other would-be scratch hazards. Only thing I find odd about the flip case is that when closed it covers up the Notification LED completely......BlackBerry Blasphemy! Not sure why they wouldn't have put a small hole or clear section there to leave the LED visible. But overall, I would definitely recommend it. As for the screen, mine's had some inadvertent minor bumps and scrapes and has come out unscathed. Not about to intentionally test it out but it is definitely scratch resistant enough to withstand everyday (ab)use.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    02-22-13 07:00 PM
    I have the flip shell. It's growing on me. It is a nice feeling and nice looking case. The stand works well and offers 3 different positions to have the phone, and the magnet that puts the screen to sleep is very useful. At first I noticed that the cover would pop up slightly and sometimes the screen would turn on, and I read a thread in which someone said that that was draining their battery. From my experience, if you pull the cover tightly it will stay shut, but it's not the strongest closure. If it's just on a table or in your pocket it will stay closed no problem but maybe not if you're in a car for example. I usually just fold the cover back and hold it there with my fingers while typing and such, barely noticeable to me but some people find it to be bothering.

I have the leather pouch also which I use on days when I won't be texting/messaging constantly, and on days that I do I use the flip shell because it's much more convenient for constant use.

I had a gift card to the Source so I got the iShieldz screen protector. It has kind of a rubber feel to it because it is anti-scratch and military grade (it says), but after I got used to it I forget that it's on. I was going to go without the protector because my phone will always be in my pocket protected my the pouch or flip case but I had the gift card so figured what the heck. I am tempted by the transform just because I'd like to have just the shell on around the house, but then I put on a $3 clear shell I got off Ebay and I'm content for the time being. Maybe I'll get it later when it's on sale or something.

Depends what you want really. I like the shell with the cover, and I've gotten used to the cover when typing and making sure to close it tight. If you are more of a shell guy, get the Transform.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    02-22-13 07:04 PM
    Black transform shell, white Z10. Gives that "oreo" look which I love, plus the corners are black. Sleek.

Protection wise .. won't save your phone from a big drop - just be careful with it. It definitely helps with the corner protection, the back is nicely covered, and you can place your phone face down without the screen being touched. It comes with a great screen protector. Got mine on perfectly, can't even tell it's there.

The actual material feels nice and you can tell it's a quality product.

The only downside is that I wish it was a tighter fit. Don't get me wrong - it doesn't slide around or is loose or anything. But it's just easy to take off - I wish there was more of a "snap".

It also provides the 'flip' feature which could be useful .. I don't see myself ever using it though (maybe just to show it off).

9/10.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    02-22-13 07:20 PM
    Blackberry has been using durable, scratch resistant screens in recent times: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tector-751084/

I have the transform shell and it is great. Put on a screen protector too. Awesome for getting a good grip while holding the phone. Awesome for a stand when watching at a desk. Awesome for a stand while looking in bed.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    02-22-13 07:32 PM
    I just got the transform shell today. It's great. The case feels nice and the sides are not covered up which makes it easier to perform side gestures. The stand function is nice ad well.

I had the flip shell case at first, but I found the flap too disruptive to use comfortably. Not to mention the LED gets covered up.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    02-22-13 07:48 PM
    I have the flip shell, and aside from it being open while charging, I like it a lot. I kind of wish it had a transparancy or cut-out over the LED, though.

Don't worry about the bezels chipping, they're solid plastic and not painted
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    02-22-13 07:56 PM
    I use the Flip Shell and I like it. I found it a minor annoyance at first, but after 2 weeks now I don't even notice it's there as it seems such a natural part of the phone. I don't use an additional screen protector with it. If the shell is open it's "safely" in my hands....when I'm done the shell is closed and screen is protected from keys and coins and other would-be scratch hazards. Only thing I find odd about the flip case is that when closed it covers up the Notification LED completely......BlackBerry Blasphemy! Not sure why they wouldn't have put a small hole or clear section there to leave the LED visible. But overall, I would definitely recommend it. As for the screen, mine's had some inadvertent minor bumps and scrapes and has come out unscathed. Not about to intentionally test it out but it is definitely scratch resistant enough to withstand everyday (ab)use.
    Why don't you just create a hole for the LED?
    02-22-13 08:05 PM
    Well I am lucky enough to use both cases. I purchased the flip case on release day and used it for about two weeks or so. I really liked it. Loved how it felt, the way I held it the flip part pushed the outside of the phone closer to my thumb which allowed for much easier one handed typing. I had no screen protector on the phone for the first week and found no scratches or scuffs when I put my Tru protection screen protector one week after purchase. (which doesn't hinder the touch at all, doesn't cover the full front but I released you don't need to go all the way out to swipe).

Then the transformer case came in at Crackberry in black so I ordered two (one for my brother) I put it on and instantly fell in love. It made the phone lighter and felt amazing in the hand. Typing is easy both ways one or two handed. Although I do fell that the transformer case does lack a little bit of protection on the sides, the corners do have a much thicker hard rubber. I didn't use the screen protector that came with the case as I already had one installed.

The one thing I could say bad about the flip case is. Although the cover is great for turning the screen off and on I felt that if I used it and bent it the way it was intended to for videos sometimes the cover wouldn't sit flush with the screen then it would not turn off or would turn on when in a loose pocket.

With the transformer case you have to use the power button so usually once it's off its off.

Hope this helps in some way.
    Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    02-22-13 08:12 PM
    the other advantage of the transform is that on the sides in the middle of the phone there are soft ridges that give a bit of grip near the back of the phone....its subtle but prevents slipping out of your hands. The case is actually made of 2 types of material..one harder and the insides and bare edges a softer grippy rubber. Very nice detail.
    02-22-13 08:15 PM
    I tried the transform in-store and i didn't like it, it felt odd. Now i've got an OtterBox Defender and that's taken some getting used to.
    02-22-13 08:27 PM
    The transform shell has the advantage of being able to slide into the soon to be released media dock. The flip case will have to be removed in order to do that.
    02-22-13 08:27 PM
    I've got both since I picked up the flip shell for my wife and the transform for myself.

One of my biggest pet peeves with the flip is that when it's open, the phone feels awkward to hold. The second is that the material gets dirty fast. I can only speak for the white version though. Being white I do expect it to show some dirt but after spending one day in my jeans it was quite discolored. Lastly the flip cover doesn't stay closed very well, especially when it has been held open for a while.

End result is that both work well but I personally like the transform better. The one thing about the transform that I didn't like too much is that when it's used as a stand, the actual phone is touching the surface. Not a huge deal I suppose but I would prefer that there was some sort of protection. Other than that I've been happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 08:37 PM
    I originally ordered the Flip Shell but did not like how it felt in the hand when opened. After a while in your hand being opened, it doesn't close unless facing down, ordered the Transform 2 days in and never looked back, it doesn't change the feel in hand really, it just rocks.
    02-22-13 08:53 PM
    I use the transform shell and love it. It fits tightly and gives a minimal of protection. Of course it's not gonna protect from huge drops but the ridge that the case has on the side makes it easy to get a good grip on the phone. I first used the I Shield screen protector but took it off after a day cause I hated the rubbery look. I put on the screen protector that came with the transformer shell and boy... you don't notice its there! Feels like the screen is naked

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 09:13 PM
    With crackberry's prices and the promo during the all nighter pre Canadian launch event I ended up getting both.

Both used equally as much. Flip gets more use if it is thrown in the pocket and transform if it's around the desk etc...

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 09:19 PM
    Great reviews from all. seems like the winner if ya wanna call it that is Transform shell. Of course it's all personal preference but it's nice to have some real life tests to fall back on. I have been juggling this case issue for a week. Thanks for the info. I think I've made my choice.

CB10 App, Z10
    02-22-13 10:34 PM
    I'm using the Blackberry microfiber sleeve. I love it! I like the protection it gives my Z10. Mine is red and looks very sleek. It also has a slit to put in a credit card or drivers license.

Not a huge fan of the transform case, the corners are too bulky for my liking. Takes away from the phone. Also the stand option is not worth the black line through the back.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 10:40 PM
    I'm not a big fan of the Transform or the Flip. They're ok but their styling is not my cup o' tea.
    I need more protection for my Z10 in my line of work, though. I do demolition and my phones get pretty beaten in daily work. Got myself an Otterbox for it. The Otterbox makes the Z10 a little harder to get used to as the case itself hinders the touch screen gestures slightly. There is also a small issue with the clip holder for it as the magnet is a bit weak and doesn't put the phone into sleep mode when holstered. Those are pretty much the only caveats I have about this case and they have been rendered moot as the case itself has saved my Z10 from a few potentially destructive falls already. It may make the phone look bulkier but that's a small price to pay for having a phone that doesn't mind being dropped.
    02-22-13 10:57 PM
    This thread is an example of CrackBerry is the best BlackBerry site, bar none! You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great responses!

Before I started this thread, I was heavily leaning towards the Flip Shell case, but after reading all of these thorough, real life reviews, I'm pretty settled on the Transform Shell. I liked the look of the Flip, but the Transform seems more practical and at the end of the day, I need my phone to be safe and usable, and it seems the Transform is able to strike a balance between both.

Thanks again everyone! I hope this thread helps out anyone else out there on the fence.
    02-22-13 11:05 PM
    im going to throw a wrench into the mix and name the casemate tough case cuz thats what i have on the way for my white z10
    it offers some rubber shock protection and a hard cover/shell on the outside
    I have a speck candyshell on my iphone 4s currently and just took it off to switch sims the other day and the phone looks brand new still (i do have a front/back cheapo plastic screen protector on it as well) but it doesnt look like speck has any for the z10

i would still use a screen protector and i recommend u buy a few cheap plastic ones on ebay not the ones for $20 a pop (i almost came close to getting a spigen one for my iphone but chose not to...)
    timing wise i want a screen protector asap as i still have the plastic that it comes with on the screen (but this plastic is thin and not cut properly) so i got a pack from clarivue.com (its in BC so it'll come faster to me in Alberta than ebay ones i believe) and it should include 2 i believe. Coupon for 10% off is "ten2013"
    but i plan on ordering a few from ebay soon for when i wanna change it out cuz they will inevitably get scratched by something
    02-22-13 11:07 PM
    I also ended up with both. Bought the flip first and found like others that when I hold it open, it is not that comfortable to type with. However, it has an awesome professional look.

But then I bought the transform and love it. The screen protector that comes with it is top notch---just have to be really careful installing so as not to get dust under it... (i guess like any protector)--but crystal clear and good to swipe on. Also fits screen perfectly.

The transform case adds a great look to the phone especially if you pick a contrasting colour.

Only issue I really have, it would love the transform case with phone to fit into the leather holster. That way could carry phone easily and also have magnet from holster control the phone.

I'm going to try stretching the leather holster and see if it can be adapted to work... worst case, have to get new holster....
    02-23-13 07:21 AM
    Can't you buy both and return the one you don't like?
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    02-23-13 11:39 AM
    Flip case for me.

As a professional in a suit most of the time, I find the flip offers great protection AND the magnetic feature makes for quick work out of 'turning' the unit off. Just close the flap.

Protection wise it looks ok.

Style looks very sophisticated.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 11:57 AM
31 12