Just by chance, my partner called me tonight and he sounded "different"- a LOT different. Crystal clear, I could hear the wind noise in the car, the traffic, truck engines and car horns sounded like I was actually THERE in the car. He noticed the HD icon above my name. I looked and saw it as well. We both have Z10's on T-mobile. We've had our Z10's since launch day in March, this is the first encounter with HD calls. Any others out there experience this- or give me more insight on this technology like why did it happen, will it be a "common" technology soon? Thanks!
    06-08-13 08:55 PM
    I don't know if it's a common thing but I have encountered this recently as well. Even yesterday, I made a call from the basement of a shopping mall and it had the small speech bubble with HD. Pretty good I'd say!

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    06-08-13 09:04 PM
    It may be Voice over LTE, the next generation voice call. Currently voices are run through circuit switch (including the HSDPA), on LTE, it's packet data network. I think in a year or two, most phones will run VoLTE with 3G as backup and 2G is going to retirement.
    06-08-13 09:08 PM
    Really? Haven't noticed that on my phone. Maybe because so far I'm the only one using Z10 among people I know in the Philippines. LOL! But even so, I love how the voice of anyone on the other end of the line is always clear... what more if he or she is using also a Z10?!

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 09:14 PM
    Good to know!

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 09:15 PM
    Screenshot? I'm curious what to look for.

Posted via CB10 & Z10 abuser
    06-08-13 09:31 PM
    First experience with HD phonecall on Z10-- Wow!-img_00000876.png

Look for the HD icon.

It's odd the first time you get to hear the HD call, it's so crystal clear that you wish every call was that way.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 09:35 PM
    Really? Haven't noticed that on my phone. Maybe because so far I'm the only one using Z10 among people I know in the Philippines. LOL! But even so, I love how the voice of anyone on the other end of the line is always clear... what more if he or she is using also a Z10?!

Posted via CB10

I call anyone on the Rogers network with LTE capable phones and always get the HD symbol.

This is not specific to z10.

To the OP, I agree it sounds substantially better than a standard call.

Posted from my Z10 STL100-3 running 10.1.0.2354 on Rogers
    06-08-13 09:36 PM
    Is it only available if I make a call through LTE network?

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10
    06-08-13 09:39 PM
    Just by chance, my partner called me tonight and he sounded "different"- a LOT different. Crystal clear, I could hear the wind noise in the car, the traffic, truck engines and car horns sounded like I was actually THERE in the car. He noticed the HD icon above my name. I looked and saw it as well. We both have Z10's on T-mobile. We've had our Z10's since launch day in March, this is the first encounter with HD calls. Any others out there experience this- or give me more insight on this technology like why did it happen, will it be a "common" technology soon? Thanks!
    Noticed this about a week ago calling an iPhone 5 colleague from my z10. I know of only the z10 and iPhone 5 currently being HD voice compatible
    06-08-13 09:39 PM
    Two real live examples; non HD related but relevant.

1. My sister lives on the outskirts of town, I always dropped calls at her house! Now with the Z I have 3 bars! And never drop calls! So awesome.

2. Working on a oil platform with limited WiFi. Too many devices, with my 9900 and playbook I was left at times to scramble arond searching for a signal. Now with the Z10 I can stay in my room, "a virtual steel cage" and stay connected all the time. Wile watching other lose their connection to boot

Thanks to the Peratek company BlackBerry bought "they have fantastic antenna tech" BlackBerry has the best signal strength hands down IMO!!!
    An item of huge value yet under appreciated IMO.
    Posted via CB10u
    06-08-13 09:43 PM
    Unfortunately I can't post a screen shot because the call is over and it seems quite rare to reproduce. It was an "HD" icon on the right side, centered above the caller's name. Anyway, if you get an HD call, you WILL know it. You won't even have to look. It was the best sounding audio I have ever heard on a phone, whether landline or cellular. Pretty amazing. Volume was terrific as well. I don't think I would have had ANY problem hearing the call in a relatively noisy environment.
    It also pleased me that it was T-Mobile, the network that (supposedly) has the lesser high-tech coverage of the "big 4" here in the U.S.
    06-08-13 09:48 PM
    So you don't have to enable this feature? It just kicks in when two hd-capable phones connect via lte?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 09:58 PM
    I don't think it's over LTE. I noticed that on a HD call... it still falls down to HSPA. to make it "happen", you need to call someone on the same carrier with a HD call compatible phone (iPhone 5, z10 or Q10)

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:21 PM
    The only way I can describe it is it sounds almost like someone is right next to you talking in your ear as opposed to coming through a speaker on a phone. If you happen to get an HD call, you'll know it right away.

I don't think it's over LTE. I noticed that on a HD call... it still falls down to HSPA. to make it "happen", you need to call someone on the same carrier with a HD call compatible phone (iPhone 5, z10 or Q10)

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't even have to be on the same carrier. I (Z10 on Telus) was talking to my sister-in-law (iPhone 5 on Rogers) a while back and that call was HD.
    06-08-13 10:33 PM
    So the only hardware requirement seems to be LTE?

06-08-13 10:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, it's not over LTE, LTE isn't provisioned for voice, only data for now. Hence on a call, you will drop from LTE to H+
    06-08-13 10:41 PM
    Works great in bbm

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    06-08-13 10:42 PM
    So the only hardware requirement seems to be LTE?

Carrier's need to support it basically and the handset (different codec). Most of the recent handset will support it.
    06-08-13 10:46 PM
    I noticed the HD when I call a friend in Vancouver (I'm in Ottawa). We both have the Z10. The HD icon does not stay throughout the call. Maybe it is because of what someone said about different carrier. I'm on Telus, and he is on Bell. Can't say I've noticed any decrease in quality though. Our calls are always crystal clear. We both have commented on this clarity, on many occasions. It is what it is. Great calling feature. I love my Z10. We both do.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    06-08-13 11:29 PM
    Never get such like HD call on my Z10. But all I know if I make voice calls through BBM, the quality is truly outstanding. As OP said, I can even notice the environment surrounded of my opposite BBM voice calls.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 11:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    I actually turned my off LTE and have made calls with the HD showing and the clarity of the calls was definitely higher than non-HD calls.
    06-08-13 11:50 PM
    How does it look on the normal call screen? For ex: with the contacts name on top with mute,dialpad,and end call options. I've never experienced an HD call. Sorry if I confused anyone lol

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 12:19 AM
    That explains it! I noticed when talking with another Z10 owner that they seemed " in the middle of nowhere " no noise, but almost like they were in a tunnel. Have seen the "HD" icon, but didn't think anything of it.

I guess it's super clear, just seemed weird at first, sure I'll get used to it.

Posted via Naked BlackBerry Z10
    06-09-13 12:24 AM
    How does it look on the normal call screen? For ex: with the contacts name on top with mute,dialpad,and end call options. I've never experienced an HD call. Sorry if I confused anyone lol

Posted via CB10
    Check this thread out, there are some screenshots of what you're looking for! (post 13)

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-audio-769310/
    06-09-13 12:24 AM
78 123 ...