This is a review on the Blackberry Z10. The purpose of this post is to share my experience and journey as a new BB user. I will share what I like/dislike about the phone, also troubles I will come across and how/if I over come them. Please remember I have actually only use this phone for 24 hours and this would be my first technology product review. This post will not focus on information from the technology perspective.

Introduction

Background about myself, this is my 2nd BB the pervious BB was the BB 8900 used from 2008-09. I have used the iPhone 4 and the Galaxy 2 between the 8900 and the Z10. I actually loved the 8900 for the basic functions such as emails, loud speaker, extremely strong battery life and the keyboard. I switched to the iPhone due to the screen size and the apps. I used the iPhone for a year, because I switched phone company so I got a S2 from T-Mobile.

After 2 years of using my S2, small problems started to come up. I used MacBook and iPad also I am a Apple stock holder, so my first reaction was to buy the 5s. But I felt like I have to give BB one last try, and in the bottom of my hear I still miss my 8900, so I purchased the Z10. I actually bought the Z10 back in November, but there were problems with the limited apps. I sideloaded Google Map and Skype, Google Map I couldn't sign in and Skype just didn't work. By the way I am currently in Shanghai so Maps and Skype is important to me, I left the Z10 in the box and decided to sell it. I actually started a post about it.

However after a month, I found out about leak so I actually got it installed and surprisingly I got some of the apps I want from 1 mobile market. "Side note it won't work if you try to do it on parallels, I found out the hard way by spending about 12 hours on it, and it only took 30mins when I used my friends PC laptop." After I got Leak installed and got the Sim cut, my Z10 was officially commissioned.

Things I like so far.

Volume Keys

First 24 hours Z10 review from a BB new user-img_7694.jpg

The volume up/down keys allow me to skip or go to pervious song. I am sure most users know about this trick, but when I found out I was amazed by it. Without going into the music apps makes listening to music much more enjoyable.

Z10 Keyboard

The Blackberry keyboard is amazing. I like the Samsung Swype a lot, however the BB keyboard is better. What I like most is it helps limit a lot of typos compare to Swype, well for me at least I am sure someone can use Swype without any typo.

My one complain would be I wish they would make it easier to predict "?" after you start the sentence with "when" or other similar words. Just a small complain but I love the Keyboard overall.

1Mobile Market

First 24 hours Z10 review from a BB new user-img_7690.jpg

If you got a Z10, you must get this app. It is easy and give you all the apps you want from Andriod. Pocket, Shazam, Skpye, Google Map are some of the must have for me. You don't need to connect to your computer just download the apps directly onto your phone.

Speaker

The speaker is pretty good, I don't think is as loud as the 8900 but definitely much louder than an iPhone.

Battery

It is 930pm and I been using on and off since 7am. The battery level is around 20%, modern usage today with 2-3 hours of music, maybe an hour of reading and also some messaging. Nothing to brag, but I am completely happy with a smart phone battery that last me 18+hours. Also the recharging speed is excellent.

Things I dislike so far.

BlackBerry World

First 24 hours Z10 review from a BB new user-img_7689.jpg

Well besides the limited apps, the biggest dislike I found so found are the download speed of the BBW, I don't know why it is taking an hour+ to download one app(Currently downloading at this moment), while 1mobile market only takes a minute. I only used BBW for short amount of time, so I will review this once again in a week or so.

Rotation Lag

First 24 hours Z10 review from a BB new user-img_7696.jpg

On some of the apps from 1mobile there is a noticeable lag when I try to get it to rotate. Probably 4-6 seconds, not as smooth as I want, maybe later patches would help solve this problem.

Google Map

The biggest complain I got is that I can't sign in to Google map.

First 24 hours Z10 review from a BB new user-img_7692.jpg

If someone know how to fix this please let me know, I try to find the solution online but didn't have any luck. I travel quite often, and it is important to me to save some of the visit spots before I go to a new location.

So far I am content with the Z10, I know there is a growing pain so hopefully I grow into loving it. I will update my experience with this phone in a week. This review is by no mean educating the public, as I am a new user with limited knowledge about Blackberry or any technology related products. I just want to share my experience for someone that wants to know how a new BB user is experiencing the Z10 product, also I hope someone will comment on some of the troubles I run into and provide me some helpful information.
    02-03-14 07:44 AM
    Very nice and thorough review and welcome to CB!
    Nothing should take an hour to download from BBW not even a movie. There is something wrong with your install or your wifi.
    02-03-14 08:19 AM
    Yes I agree it must be some type of lag/bug with my BBW, since 1Mobile worked fine. I will give an update on the BBW next time, I am sure I will download more apps the in future.
    02-03-14 08:30 AM
    I searched the Apk Manager in BlackBerry world- no luck. How do download it?
    02-07-14 10:06 PM
    You can sign in to Google maps by installing either Google account or Service package apk. There are threads regarding this, you may search in this forum.
    By the way, nice preview OP.
    02-07-14 11:44 PM
    Your download speed can be most attributed to your carrier.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    02-08-14 12:50 AM
    Your download speed can be most attributed to your carrier.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    As I mentioned I was on Wifi and 1mobile didn't have problem downloading apps at all, I was using both at the same time. The problem with BBW was it got stuck for a really long time, but once it started to download the program was fine.
    02-11-14 11:05 AM
    You can sign in to Google maps by installing either Google account or Service package apk. There are threads regarding this, you may search in this forum.
    By the way, nice preview OP.
    Thanks I will try it out, I need to sign into google, especially when I start to travel again. I will do another update in a few days. My home internet been down lately.
    02-11-14 11:06 AM
    Try using waze instead of Google maps, if it has your city. It runs really well
    02-11-14 11:53 AM