Finally someone honest enough to at least declare Blackberry Z10 a winner vs the iPhone:

iPhone 5 vs The New Blackberry Z10 - Soldier's Tech Battlefield

Geeoff, Nels, x1123 and 6 others like this.
    09-30-13 04:23 PM
    Very nice review.... unfortunately few people watched it.... and already outdated *cry* thanks for sharing!

Posted via CB10
    gng11 likes this.
    09-30-13 04:29 PM
    Very nice review.... unfortunately few people watched it.... and already outdated *cry* thanks for sharing!

Posted via CB10
    Yes well indeed outdated by tech standards, but at the very least a relief to know there are some good reviewers out there who play it fair.
    09-30-13 04:33 PM
    True!

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 01:03 AM
    Finally someone honest enough to at least declare Blackberry Z10 a winner vs the iPhone:

iPhone 5 vs The New Blackberry Z10 - Soldier's Tech Battlefield

Great clip, but out of curiosity, are you saying that any review which isn't slanted towards BlackBerry is dishonest?
    rottonj, Donvald, devin266 and 1 others like this.
    10-01-13 07:23 AM
    This is an old review. Let's wait for the Z30 vs the 5S

Sent from my Motorola Startac
    10-01-13 08:33 AM
    Great clip, but out of curiosity, are you saying that any review which isn't slanted towards BlackBerry is dishonest?
    A good portion of them are simply because BB10 doesn't have "an app for that." Or there'll be some obscure proprietary function on the competitor that gets played up to the max but any neat proprietary feature on BB10 just gets an honorable mention and treated as ancillary at best.
    10-01-13 12:00 PM
    It's a shame the BlackBerry themselves don't make marketing on this wonderful product to inform the world about the great featurings of it, instead, people, do it much better with this type of videos.

Posted via CB10
    devin266 likes this.
    10-01-13 12:42 PM
    So it's outdated. Obvious from the start. As an example, the iPhone took better pictures, but he liked the BB picture software. Now iPhone has passed BB in software, so the iPhone kills the BB as a camera.

He thinks the iPhone is sexier. Yet he gives it to the BB because he 'thinks' it will be more rugged. Doesn't test it, doesn't do a drop test and watch the battery door pop open, he just 'thinks' it's tougher. Worthless.

He says the iPhone screen is better yet gives it to BB because it has 'more features'. That's laughable. I would love to see that in a store. "Yes mam, the iphone has a better, brighter, screen, but the BB has more features".

Just an awful review. The iPhone is sexier, better screen, takes better pictures, but he chooses the BB. And you think this review is fair? High quality? Ha.
    10-01-13 12:58 PM
    My take on it was that you could tell (between the desktop behind him and a couple of comments at the end) that he is at very least a Mac user and most likely an iPhone user but he looked at both devices, compared the specs, gave his opinion and gave equal time to the key differences. It came off as a balanced review and I would be far more likely to watch more of his reviews since he was being as fair as he could and not slanting it one way or the other.

I understand that it comes down to personal preferance but as an example, I have a difficult time taking a review of a BBRY product by Molly Wood at face value.. The do the torture tests of devices on always on and give passes to some products for flaws that they would definitely gie a fail to for other products and in a misguided attempt to make the tests 'fair' and 'uniform' they don't do things that most consumers would do.

case in point, the torture test of the Q10.. dropped it on the floor and then spilled massage oil on it (plausible) then wiped it off but didn't even take the battery door off or the battery out and clean/wipe down the inside of the phone. Understandable, not every phone has a removable back/battery but if it does, you have to assume that the majority of people would take it apart as far as they could (within reason) to make sure it's clean/dry.

I've gotten off course but it's nice to see that there are some reviewers out there still who will leave their preferances at the door when reviewing a product.
    clickitykeys and gng11 like this.
    10-01-13 01:05 PM
    So it's outdated. Obvious from the start. As an example, the iPhone took better pictures, but he liked the BB picture software. Now iPhone has passed BB in software, so the iPhone kills the BB as a camera.

He thinks the iPhone is sexier. Yet he gives it to the BB because he 'thinks' it will be more rugged. Doesn't test it, doesn't do a drop test and watch the battery door pop open, he just 'thinks' it's tougher. Worthless.

He says the iPhone screen is better yet gives it to BB because it has 'more features'. That's laughable. I would love to see that in a store. "Yes mam, the iphone has a better, brighter, screen, but the BB has more features".

Just an awful review. The iPhone is sexier, better screen, takes better pictures, but he chooses the BB. And you think this review is fair? High quality? Ha.
    You've just proven the point... reviews are subjective.. While you find the iPhone to be sexier, I think it absurd to have a cell phone with a glass back... If you drop the Z10, yes.. the battery door may pop off (easily fixable) and on the chance that it get's scratched or banged up at all you can replace it. If you drop your iPhone and you get a crack/rough edge on it you could potentially injure yourself until general wear and tear smooths out the defect.

If you want to make a point about the drop test, you might have more traction comparing the fact that you can crack an iPhone's screen and still use it where as with the Z10, if you have any appreciable crack in the screen the digitizer is rendered useless because the two are combined. Easily replaceable on the Z10 and I can only assume equally so on the iPhone but I digress.

Also, some of those better features are a removeable battery (how many times have you seen people with phones of any description looking for a charger..) you can opt to have a second battery to swap out. More importantly, a hot swapable Micro SD card. you can instantly increase the storage capacity of your phone without having to spend several hundred more dollars on the next larger model.

There are a lot of aspects about the iPhone that are miles ahead of BBRY like the availability of apps and the established user base.. The whole apple ecosystem with AirPlay and AirDrop and the whole host of other intertwined services that make a lot of things just easier to do but at the end of the day it is still a personal preferance and they are still both closed systems with everyone trying to get people to come over to their sandbox because it's better..

Welcome to CrackBerry, enjoy your stay!
    Last edited by paper_monkey; 10-01-13 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Spelling never was my strong suit...
    Nharzhool likes this.
    10-01-13 01:15 PM

I second that. I'll get my popcorn ready.

Post via CB Z10
    10-01-13 01:21 PM
    I'd tend to rank the Z10 with 10.0 leagues below the Z10 with leaked 10.2

So I can't really blame the negative early reviews. It's a different phone now.
    10-01-13 01:23 PM
    It is such a fresh breath of air to see someone actually talking sense in a review. However, the market proves otherwise where majority of consumers are just following the trend, where the idea of "ohh he is using an android, ahhh she is using an iOS... then times those statements by 100000000" which resulted in a "brainwashed + mind controlled" situation where consumers are just doing what others are currently doing and not even willing to TRY BlackBerry 10 devices.

For example, I had seen a customer who complained about the swipe gestures where he needed to swipe from the bottom to the top part of the phone and was not convenient at all and it was bad for his hand. How can it be like this? It should be the same as other smartphones.....*sigh*.... In the end, the customer had traded in his Z10 for a S4....

Anyhow, personally I do think the BlackBerry 10 devices are not bad but the sad part is, as everyone is saying, BlackBerry is not focusing enough on marketing and it is true. BUT... I think instead of creating billboard ads or any attempts on traditional or modern marketing channels, BlackBerry Classes should be provided to consumers or so called "prosumer" to educate them the features and functions of the new BlackBerry 10 devices.

I think BlackBerry will be surprised on despite their effort to push the new OS platform and new devices to market since..... 2012... There aren't a handful of people know how to navigate BlackBerry 10 devices..... *Gosh I am getting depressing. Anyhow, it's just my personal point of view and sorry for any grammatical error in this reply. Thank you.*
    10-01-13 01:54 PM
    To be clear, this review is by far one of the fairest and fewest of them all out there that at least attempts to be balanced. I hear ya, and I agree but this guy doesn't go to ramble about how Blackberry used to be king etc.

All other "reviews" already have a pre-judgement and assumption that Blackberry is dead, and therefore skip them and steers consumers to the iPhone or Galaxy. Even some reviews started off by CNET staff tend to begin with "With the company now in limbo, it is hard to see if the phone will be continued to be supported", etc. etc.etc. I know there is at least one CNET editor who doesn't do that so thank goodness decent reporters exist.

For the other blogs: This is not what you call tech journalism. Journalism is a neutral and balanced subject. It is reporting and information. I am sure many have heard the quote "Don't judge a book by its cover" mantra. Sadly, most "reviewers" have already started off by saying the company is now dead, in limbo, uncertain, giving consumers fear of the products before they even get to talk about the product as a product, not about state of the company behind the product.

When you're reviewing a product, at least, please be impartial to your allegiances.

Former iPhone user since 3GS. Z10 FTW.
    Nharzhool likes this.
    10-01-13 08:05 PM
    It is such a fresh breath of air to see someone actually talking sense in a review. However, the market proves otherwise where majority of consumers are just following the trend, where the idea of "ohh he is using an android, ahhh she is using an iOS... then times those statements by 100000000" which resulted in a "brainwashed + mind controlled" situation where consumers are just doing what others are currently doing and not even willing to TRY BlackBerry 10 devices.

For example, I had seen a customer who complained about the swipe gestures where he needed to swipe from the bottom to the top part of the phone and was not convenient at all and it was bad for his hand. How can it be like this? It should be the same as other smartphones.....*sigh*.... In the end, the customer had traded in his Z10 for a S4....

Anyhow, personally I do think the BlackBerry 10 devices are not bad but the sad part is, as everyone is saying, BlackBerry is not focusing enough on marketing and it is true. BUT... I think instead of creating billboard ads or any attempts on traditional or modern marketing channels, BlackBerry Classes should be provided to consumers or so called "prosumer" to educate them the features and functions of the new BlackBerry 10 devices.

I think BlackBerry will be surprised on despite their effort to push the new OS platform and new devices to market since..... 2012... There aren't a handful of people know how to navigate BlackBerry 10 devices..... *Gosh I am getting depressing. Anyhow, it's just my personal point of view and sorry for any grammatical error in this reply. Thank you.*
    I had up to one year ago, called for the opening of Blackberry Retail stores and focusing on one single phone, I think these classes make up a great use of space to educate and inform customers how to use them. See this: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...stores-659063/
    John Ho likes this.
    10-01-13 08:09 PM

Do you still have a Startak that works? Loved that phone

medicdon
    10-01-13 09:28 PM
    For the fourth time, how can a phone be sexy. What am I missing?

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:35 PM
    Censored censored
    Last edited by WhiteSpir1t; 10-01-13 at 10:25 PM.
    Nharzhool likes this.
    10-01-13 09:37 PM
    Do you still have a Startak that works? Loved that phone

medicdon
    Haha it was a great phone to have back in high school. Lots of attention from the opposite sex. No apps, but still a good phone.

10-01-13 10:23 PM
    I second that. I'll get my popcorn ready.

Post via CB Z10
    So what's new about the Z30??? It's just a oversized blackberry Z10 with Q10specs and a bigger screen ...let the Z30 compete with the iPhone 5s they came out both at the same time

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 12:38 AM
    Finally some honesty in a Z10 vs iPhone 5 showdown-img_00000587.png

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    gng11 likes this.
    10-02-13 01:46 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000587.png 
Views:	1171 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	207049

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    What does it says? Actually nothing

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 01:52 AM
    What does it says? Actually nothing

Posted via CB10
    Oh COME ON... With a score of 7.8, the Z30 CLEARLY won that comparison with an overwleming margin of 0.2...

I have never been a big iPhone fan and perhaps it's just me but I have never found iOS overly intuitive but at the end of the day, the people will choose what they want and hopefully be happy with their choice (or like several people I know, pick the same device as their spouse so that they don't have to learn how to operate/problem solve 2 different devices...)
    10-02-13 08:53 AM
    What does any of it say today?!? Forget the Z30, that's a symptom. The "cause," and what we wait for, is the new ownership of BB. Little else is relevant but for the plans of new ownership and, for example, whether the Z30 will be the last BlackBerry phone mfd. (and perhaps whether that mfg has already ceased with the current inventories)--as it unquestionably appears. If so, this is all mental gymnastics.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 12:02 PM
42 12