Played with my first z10 today, family friend who has always had blackberries was complaining she couldn't find whatsapp in the app store.

I finally found the settings and checked the version number and she was still on 10.0, so we did an OTA update and downloaded 10.2, and then downloaded WhatsApp.

She has had this fone since March and was really underwhelmed by it and is thinking is buying an iPhone. There were no obvious nags about downloading an update so I wonder how many others are still on 10.0. She's pretty tech savvy as well so maybe they are still lots of users on the original release?

I really enjoyed using it though, pity I've just ordered a Chinese dual sim andriod fone to replace my s3 and curve and a pity BB don't make dual sim fones.

Sent via my S3 and tapatalk
    01-04-14 08:23 AM
    Played with my first z10 today, family friend who has always had blackberries was complaining she couldn't find whatsapp in the app store.

I finally found the settings and checked the version number and she was still on 10.0, so we did an OTA update and downloaded 10.2, and then downloaded WhatsApp.

She has had this fone since March and was really underwhelmed by it and is thinking is buying an iPhone. There were no obvious nags about downloading an update so I wonder how many others are still on 10.0. She's pretty tech savvy as well so maybe they are still lots of users on the original release?

It's good you updated it because there are a variety of flaws on 10.0 including in some cases serious security vulnerabilities.

What is her carrier? Usually the carrier is the one that pushes OS update notifications.
    01-04-14 08:39 AM
    I am sure u introduced her to CB forums too? She is lucky to have had ur assistance.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    01-04-14 09:56 AM
    Tech savvy? No. She couldn't even check for updates to the OS.

Does being tech savvy these days mean you are a pro at pushing the home button on an iPhone?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-04-14 10:14 AM
    What region and carrier is your friend using? I'm assuming you guys went into a store front to use the Demo though? If she could check out 10.2.1 she would have been all over it.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 12:33 PM
    Sadly there are probably more on 10.0. On my device I get a brief notification about a software update and I do the update. However, I know several people who put it off and then forget about it. Or they don't think they are capable of doing it so don't bother. Frustrates the heck out of me.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    01-04-14 02:24 PM
    She's on UK and Vodafone. And by tech savvy I mean she can operate a smartphone and update it if tells her too. She's a very typical blackberry user, had them for the last 7 or 8 years on corporate deals and has been working freelance for the last 3.

As for crackberry she couldn't give a toss for Internet forums, she uses her fone and that's it, has no interest in how or why it works, wouldn't ever in a 100 years sideload anything, it's purely a business tool that either works or doesn't.

And she sees apps etc on her partners andriod fone and friends iPhone and thinks 'I'd like that' she will check BB world out but nowhere else.

01-04-14 03:59 PM
    She's on UK and Vodafone. And by tech savvy I mean she can operate a smartphone and update it if tells her too. She's a very typical blackberry user, had them for the last 7 or 8 years on corporate deals and has been working freelance for the last 3.

As for crackberry she couldn't give a toss for Internet forums, she uses her fone and that's it, has no interest in how or why it works, wouldn't ever in a 100 years sideload anything, it's purely a business tool that either works or doesn't.

And she sees apps etc on her partners andriod fone and friends iPhone and thinks 'I'd like that' she will check BB world out but nowhere else.

There are undoubtedly a lot of users like this. And we often suffer from a perspective problem here because you will never hear directly from that kind of user on Crackberry (only anecdotal accounts from people who know them), so a lot of people here seem to assume that they don't exist.

I would guess there are probably 5x more of that kind of user than the typically Crackberry member.
    01-04-14 06:55 PM
    There are undoubtedly a lot of users like this. And we often suffer from a perspective problem here because you will never hear directly from that kind of user on Crackberry (only anecdotal accounts from people who know them), so a lot of people here seem to assume that they don't exist.

I would guess there are probably 5x more of that kind of user than the typically Crackberry member.
    Try 100x.

Sent from my white hot Z10 Rocking Leaked 10.2
    PFman and Pete The Penguin like this.
    01-04-14 09:37 PM
    It's good you updated it because there are a variety of flaws on 10.0 including in some cases serious security vulnerabilities.
    Could you please elaborate on these "Serious security vulnerabilities" as I'm unfamiliar with them.
    01-04-14 10:41 PM
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it, being able to operate a smartphone and updating it when it tells you to push "Update" does not make you tech savvy.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 01:08 AM
    Could you please elaborate on these "Serious security vulnerabilities" as I'm unfamiliar with them.

Like most operating systems, from time to time a bug is discovered that could be exploited to compromise the security of the system.

BlackBerry 10 OS had a few of these in the past, pretty low number compared to much of the competition but they did exist.

Some 10.0.x.x OS versions were immune to most of them, ie the Verizon 10.0 build had a lot of patches back-ported into it so it wasn't vulnerable to most of them.

But some of the early 10.0 versions did have such bugs which were later patched. If a person stays up to date with their carriers latest recommended release, it's not a problem.
    01-05-14 03:26 AM
    Honestly, I think an iPhone would be perfect for her. She clearly has no interest in delving to any sort of depths to see how great BB10 is. By the sounds of it, she is definitely not the least bit "tech savvy" and can't be swayed in her ways.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 03:44 AM
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it, being able to operate a smartphone and updating it when it tells you to push "Update" does not make you tech savvy.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, she could be quite comfortable with computers/phones/tablets and their related end user apps/software, thus being "tech savvy," without caring to know about OS or hardware internal workings if the device she is using. IOW, tech savvy covers a lot of areas and doesn't just mean knowing your device, inside and out.

Posted via CB10
    Donvald likes this.
    01-05-14 04:09 AM
    Actually, she could be quite comfortable with computers/phones/tablets and their related end user apps/software, thus being "tech savvy," without caring to know about OS or hardware internal workings if the device she is using. IOW, tech savvy covers a lot of areas and doesn't just mean knowing your device, inside and out.

You have a promising career ahead of you as a politician.
    niss63 likes this.
    01-05-14 05:22 AM
    Most CrackBerry members are impatient enough to wait for an official OS notification. They'd jump immediately to a leak OS or check Sachesi every 30 minutes. Oh wait, that includes me

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    Thewaxedworm likes this.
    01-05-14 05:43 AM
    I guess we need to have tech savvy clearly defined atleast for CB purposes so we don't have arguments on what tech savvy is. Maybe a dictionary according to CB is required
    01-05-14 08:30 AM
    To be honest you should of got her running 10.2.1.1925 it is the most stable OS by far and you can downlloaad any android app you want without sideloading.

Tech savvy is not being able to update the phone if you get an update. 5 year old kids can do that. Tech savvy is looking at forums to try to make your phone perform better. Messing around with it trying to make it better is my form of tech savvy. Even that doesn't take too much brainpower.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-05-14 08:35 AM
    Ok by tech savvy I meant that in the past decade she's never asked me for any help.

I guess that makes bb10 a fail if a longterm blackberry os user has to ask for help for the first time?

I'm not looking for an argument but cb has a very small amount of users even when comparing to the small number of bb10 users. I was surprised she was on 10.0 and I have no idea where to find a leaked os or how to install it. She's now on 10.2 something and is happy....

In my house I'm the one updating my wife's fones. I check Every now and again, she doesn't care, which is a normal users lookout and it's not the same someone who reads these pages.

01-05-14 08:53 AM
    Honestly, this goes for other platforms as well. My mom never knows to update her S4 and I know other people whwo have NEVER updated their phones OS for the entire time they had the phone. BB10 certainly does a better job than BBOS did in notifying of an OS update.
    agarwal.apar and PatrickMJS like this.
    01-05-14 09:37 AM
    To be honest you should of got her running 10.2.1.1925 it is the most stable OS by far and you can downlloaad any android app you want without sideloading.

Posted via CB10
    calling a leak stable. chuckle.
    Omnitech likes this.
    01-05-14 09:45 AM
    I too have a Z10 on Vodafone and I received numerous update notifications. I am not sure what has happened in this case but I'm led to believe Vodafone have been pretty good at pushing the OS updates.

I do like forced updates like on PSN but I appreciate this is not as practical for mobile users.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 10:26 AM
    Tech savvy and OS 10.0?? Ehhh
    01-05-14 10:40 AM
    Tech savvy and OS 10.0?? Ehhh
    Nope lol.... I also don't believe she never had a notification for it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-05-14 11:00 AM
    She's had the phone since March. Most phone companies release updates for the phone. So assuming for the 10 months she has had her phone, blackberry did not have a single update, kind of shows she isn't tech savvy. Especially when you're noticing bugs and problems, first thing I'd do is look into updates. In my opinion, that doesn't even make you tech savvy. I'd say "familiar with technology to a certain degree"

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 11:06 AM
53 123