"Upgrade" to 5c....me thinks NOT.

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    I'm afraid to the uneducated uninitiated masses it is an upgrade!
    Sheep follow other sheep, nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 05:34 AM
    . How's the compatibility of apps between iPhone and ipad ??

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    If it's a universal app it will scale at native resolution on both devices. If developed for iPad only it will not run on the iPhone. If developed for iPhone only it will scale up 2x to fit the iPad or run at 1x in a window.
    03-31-14 08:17 AM
    Sadly I see a lot of old BlackBerry users still leaving today even with BB10. It's not that BB10 is bad but "everyone has iPhones now" is the reason I hear a lot.

Hard to stop that. The only people other than die hard BlackBerry fans that have stayed with BlackBerry are the qwerty die hards. My sister is one, has to have a qwerty or she would have got an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    03-31-14 08:25 AM
    Pfftt.. more like downgraded lol
    Exactly what I was thinking, if it was a 5s then maybe it's just about on par with a Z10 but a 5c is almost certainly a downgrade.
    03-31-14 08:31 AM
    Exactly what I was thinking, if it was a 5s then maybe it's just about on par with a Z10 but a 5c is almost certainly a downgrade.
    You can't be serious.
    03-31-14 09:14 AM
    Not sure what you are referring too.

Hardware - might can argue a few points if you want. Like the Z10 Screen more, but the 5C camera gets better test marks...

Software - I'd say that BB10 is superior, but maybe a little more complicated. Especially when you add in the difference in gestures and what they do in some apps, and what they do different in others.

Ecosystem - There is no comparison to the official BlackBerry and Apple ecosystem. Unofficially the Android ecosystem is a BIG boost, but sadly it is unofficial, it isn't as easy to use and it doesn't fully work.

Simple truth is the Hardware and Software don't mean nearly as much as the Ecosystem does. The fact that many of us here can figure out how to load Android apps doesn't negate the FACT that Carriers are limited to the OFFICIAL features - because unofficial features can disappear or be locked out with one update. And the natural question in most peoples mind is, if I have to get apps from Android.... why don't I just buy and Android device? Some here will say the BlackBerry is a better Android than Android... but that is a fan-boy saying that doesn't account for all the apps Android Apps that BlackBerry devices can't run. My Z10 with the official Verizon update is not playing as friendly with Android apps as it did before.... but I just haven't had the time or desire to install one of the new leaks.
    Troy Tiscareno and drewood66 like this.
    03-31-14 09:36 AM
    That's not an upgrade lol. (In my not-so-humble opinion)
    03-31-14 09:49 AM
    Meh, frankly I'm kinda tired of seeing these posts. If she feels the iPhone is the better choice because she can't be bothered putting in time to learn something different or new, well then that's her prerogative. Me.....never had one issue with any BlackBerry I've ever owned unless it was self inflicted.
    Somewhat agreed. People will switch platforms all the time. I think the main point of the posts however is to highlight the reasons WHY people are switching. In that sense I do find the posts interesting.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    03-31-14 09:58 AM
    No phone "just works"! All phones have their own pros and cons, it boils down to adoption and whether or not you're ok with flews found.
    That's actually not true. I was an exclusive BB user and picked up the iPhone 5S last October and it "just worked". It was intuitive and required no learning unlike the Z10 and Q10. I actually felt that the iPhone was a far more natural and easier transition for me than BB10 was. My kids who had both switched from BB to iPhones (iPhone 5) also said that they were impressed at how iPhone "just worked".
    JWWDUKE likes this.
    03-31-14 10:57 AM
    The delay. Yes, it exists and yes, it's annoying.
    The Z10 still has that camera delay?
    03-31-14 11:05 AM
    She holds it wrong /jk
    MADBRADNYC and drewood66 like this.
    03-31-14 11:34 AM
    Not sure what you are referring too.

Hardware - might can argue a few points if you want. Like the Z10 Screen more, but the 5C camera gets better test marks...

Software - I'd say that BB10 is superior, but maybe a little more complicated. Especially when you add in the difference in gestures and what they do in some apps, and what they do different in others.

Ecosystem - There is no comparison to the official BlackBerry and Apple ecosystem. Unofficially the Android ecosystem is a BIG boost, but sadly it is unofficial, it isn't as easy to use and it doesn't fully work.

Simple truth is the Hardware and Software don't mean nearly as much as the Ecosystem does. The fact that many of us here can figure out how to load Android apps doesn't negate the FACT that Carriers are limited to the OFFICIAL features - because unofficial features can disappear or be locked out with one update. And the natural question in most peoples mind is, if I have to get apps from Android.... why don't I just buy and Android device? Some here will say the BlackBerry is a better Android than Android... but that is a fan-boy saying that doesn't account for all the apps Android Apps that BlackBerry devices can't run. My Z10 with the official Verizon update is not playing as friendly with Android apps as it did before.... but I just haven't had the time or desire to install one of the new leaks.
    You seemed to have gone off on a tangent there with the app comments. It's not all about apps. There are many apps in BlackBerry App World and features built into the OS which other mobile OS's require separate apps for. This tight and slick integration and ease of use and elegant presentation is what can make the overall experience a "Better Android than Android". It's not that people focus on Android Apps on their BB10 phones. They appreciate the option and many of them shout it through the rooftops because they want others to see that the app gap has been largely reduced by this ability. You don't have to figure out how to load Android apps since 10.2.1. You don't even need Snap or any app store. You can just search for the app in the browser and you'll be sure to get some results linking to the apk's. Of course Snap, Amazon App Store and 1Mobile Market are better ways to get your app fix but those are not difficult to install and except for Snap are just a download away from the phone's web browser. A user doesn't have to remember what different gestures do what in any apps. The apps function like any other apps on any other smartphone just that they have the potential to be slicker and much more elegant when they are native BB10 apps. A simple comparison is the ease at which BlackBerry world downloads and installs multiple apps in the background while you can still do other things within the app vs trying to do the same thing on Google Play Store and Amazon App Store. The in app multi-tasking and the presentation seems a bit less polished in comparison to BB10. It's the little nuances like these which BB10 fans have grown accustomed to which give many of us a feeling of satisfaction when using our favourite OS that also makes us cringe when we have to do some of the same things on any other current mobile OS today. Yes the others are catching up but many of us would feel sad to know that this intuitive and sleek way of interacting with a mobile device and getting things done goes the way of the dodo...and not because of its lack of merit at all. It really is arguably the best in many areas. Not perfect but BlackBerry has gotten much more right than they have gotten wrong. The sales and popularity don't reflect that at all however. People who don't take the time to actually use and experience the devices and give them a fair chance will hardly understand because they really don't know any better. There's nothing wrong with the BB 10 series phones' cameras, they take excellent pictures. Look in the BlackBerry Photography or Life Through A BlackBerry Lens BBM channels and take a look. The camera on my Z10 captures many fine details and can provide very good depth of field and macro shots and has some nice manual focusing options as well. Compared to the other offerings the way the file system is laid out and accessible is much cleaner and simpler. No confusing OS folders and DCIM and other stuff to go through like on Android to find a file you want to share with someone. All the messy stuff is neatly hidden from the user. The keyboard well, that's a big thing! The browser usability and functionality is another big thing and I could go on and on. Built in home cloud once I install BB LINK software on my desktop. That's a big thing. I can go on and on. I can long press any song that I'm currently listening to and share that via any means available on the phone. I don't need to know what folder it's stored in. Try doing that on a Stock Galaxy S4 - which is one of the top selling phones. So we know why we love BB10 and we want it to continue to survive and evolve.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 03-31-14 at 12:38 PM.
    03-31-14 12:22 PM
    You seemed to have gone off on a tangent there with the app comments. It's not all about apps. There are many apps in BlackBerry App World and features built into the OS which other mobile OS's require separate apps for. This tight and slick integration and ease of use and elegant presentation is what can make the overall experience a "Better Android than Android". It's not that people focus on Android Apps on their BB10 phones. They appreciate the option and many of them shout it through the rooftops because they want others to see that the app gap has been largely reduced by this ability. You don't have to figure out how to load Android apps since 10.2.1. You don't even need Snap or any app store. You can just search for the app in the browser and you'll be sure to get some results linking to the apk's. Of course Snap, Amazon App Store and 1Mobile Market are better ways to get your app fix but those are not difficult to install and except for Snap are just a download away from the phone's web browser. A user doesn't have to remember what different gestures do what in any apps. The apps function like any other apps on any other smartphone just that they have the potential to be slicker and much more elegant when they are native BB10 apps. A simple comparison is the ease at which BlackBerry world downloads and installs multiple apps in the background while you can still do other things within the app vs trying to do the same thing on Google Play Store and Amazon App Store. The in app multi-tasking and the presentation seems a bit less polished in comparison to BB10. It's the little nuances like these which BB10 fans have grown accustomed to which give many of us a feeling of satisfaction when using our favourite OS that also makes us cringe when we have to do some of the same things on any other current mobile OS today. Yes the others are catching up but many of us would feel sad to know that this intuitive and sleek way of interacting with a mobile device and getting things done goes the way of the dodo...and not because of its lack of merit at all. It really is arguably the best in many areas. Not perfect but BlackBerry has gotten much more right than they have gotten wrong. The sales and popularity don't reflect that at all however. People who don't take the time to actually use and experience the devices and give them a fair chance will hardly understand because they really don't know any better. There's nothing wrong with the BB 10 series phones' cameras, they take excellent pictures. Look in the BlackBerry Photography or Life Through A BlackBerry Lens BBM channels and take a look. The camera on my Z10 captures many fine details and can provide very good depth of field and macro shots and has some nice manual focusing options as well. Compared to the other offerings the way the file system is laid out and accessible is much cleaner and simpler. No confusing OS folders and DCIM and other stuff to go through like on Android to find a file you want to share with someone. All the messy stuff is neatly hidden from the user. The keyboard well, that's a big thing! The browser usability and functionality is another big thing and I could go on and on. Built in home cloud once I install BB LINK software on my desktop. That's a big thing. I can go on and on. I can long press any song that I'm currently listening to and share that via any means available on the phone. I don't need to know what folder it's stored in. Try doing that on a Stock Galaxy S4 - which is one of the top selling phones. So we know why we love BB10 and we want it to continue to survive and evolve.

Posted via CB10
    The other poster mentioned that our access to android apps could easily be ended. I'm not qualified to say whether or not that is true, but it does seem like a reasonable statement. Were that to happen, BlackBerry 10 would suddenly become a lot less attractive to most of us.

Sure, I prefer the BlackBerry 10 phones, but to ignore the differences between the various operating systems would be remiss. Apple is currently the leader for good reason - they make a really good device that is basically trouble free and appeals to a wide range of people.

However, Android is eating into the lead Apple has for the very good reason that they are cheaper and their products are becoming very polished. Android is becoming a nice OS.

If we have come down to saying that BlackBerry is better because it is easier to share music, then I probably need to get rid of this phone. I didn't sign up with BlackBerry because they had great social apps and sharing of music. I signed up because it was a business class phone that had exemplary performance in the handling of emails, messaging, calendar, notes, and contact management. Unfortunately, all of those things have been, or are still experiencing problems since the Z10 was released.

And this is unfortunate.

So don't tell me that we need to try to do that on an S4; Samsung makes a great phone that does many things well - some better than our beloved BlackBerry.

I'm glad to see BlackBerry continually improving, but we have to face facts: 10.2.1 just made this phone comparable to other high end phones; it was not a quantum leap ahead of the competition.

I'm probably here until BlackBerry is back on top, or closes the doors for good, but I'm here with my eyes open.

Posted via CB10
    21stNow and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    03-31-14 01:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    ^^^Speaking of tangents...^^^
    03-31-14 01:32 PM
    Believe it or not, but there are people that are not destined to be BlackBerry users...

Posted via CB10
    lol...
    03-31-14 01:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Wall of text >_>

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    03-31-14 02:21 PM
    Her reason is because it couldn't do all the things an iPhone could do. Examples include:

She couldn't get text messages from iPhone users (I told her this would be an issue and tried to fix it for her but could only do so much since she lives halfway across the country).

She couldn't figure out how to sync it via bluetooth to her car.

Siri

Maps

The delay between "taking a picture" and actually having it take the picture.

---

I'm mostly pissed at Apple for hijacking people's phone with iMessage. I'm sure that was a huge paint point.

Bluetooth - I'm not sure. I wish she had just called me for help here.

Siri - yeah, the equivalent on BlackBerry sucks. I agree with her here. I hope the Intelligent Assistant is going to blow Siri out of the water but who knows.

Posted via my amazing Q10
    Ummmm....my GF has had an iPhone ranging from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5...so unless this text issue is only with the 5C/5S models I can assure you there is absolutely no need to "tweak" anything on the iPhone 5's end in order to send/receive text messages from non-iPhone phones. Trust me, my GF texts me all darn day long. The only difference is that emoji do not show up....well the vast majority of them do not. There is emoji app support for Android, but not for BB10 for some reason. Oh, and up until November of 2013, I was also able to send/receive text messages from my LG Spectrum 2.

Some iPhones have the "iMessage issue" with the iOS7 upgrade...and some do not. But, to my understanding, the issue is with not being able to send an iMessage as an iMessage; instead the iMessage is converted to an SMS text message. For those who do not understand this it is akin to BBM sending a BBM message as an SMS text message. So as far as pure SMS text messaging goes....I don't see the problem. The only issue I see on my part is that when my GF includes me a group message I have no idea who else is in the group as all I see are phone numbers + the corresponding message. To be frank, I have not felt the need to memorize the individual phone numbers of my contacts since about 2003...the beauty and bane of cell/smart phone ownership.

SIRI has come a long way and I am very impressed with it. If you know how to use SIRI properly, it can save you a lot of time. SIRI would be the only reason I would get an iPhone at this point, by the way.

As for Bluetooth...how many people actually use Bluetooth? To be more specific, how many people under the age of 45? A handful, perhaps. I know an obscene number of you CrackBerry users are going to raise your hands, but there is no way to prove it. To add: as with iMessage, many iPhones have/had an issue with Bluetooth connectivity.

Almost every person I have seen that has brushed off BlackBerry is because they can't be bothered to learn something different

Posted via Z10
    Why should they? Unless someone actually owns BlackBerry stock[s], I don't understand why anyone gives a rat's behind. It's no skin off my back and I do not understand why you think it is off yours. I have never bought a phone, or any product for that matter, because it allowed me to fit in with the Joneses. Hence why I purchased an LG Spectrum 2 and not say a Note or Galaxy or One or ... To date, I have only seen one other BB10 device in the wild, and it was another Z10. I did not run up to him to commiserate over our BB10 "Brotherhood" or some lame quack like that. Then again, I am well into adulthood and this guy was even older than I. I don't care and I would guess that he doesn't, either.

I'm really surprised that so many of you can figure out a BlackBerry but couldn't do the same with an iPhone. My last phone was an iphone 5 and I will most likely go back when the next one drops. Both phones work extremely well for what they are designed for. I own apple everything except for this phone and I love how it all works together and syncs without me actually having to do anything. That allows more time for me to do things I enjoy. Other than having a physical keyboard I haven't found how BlackBerry is better than an iPhone. App support for us is almost non existant. So really there is just email since bbm is cross-platform now. Oh, and we have a company that may not make it. Are either phones bad? No, except to all the haters.

Posted via CB10
    I also own an "Apple everything-but-iPhone" and one reason why I stick with BlackBerry is at how easy it "natively" connects with, say, my MacBook Pro. Yes, I was able to transfer music files between any of my Android handsets and my Mac, there were some work-arounds. But, iTunes does not play nice with Android.

As long as I can send myself emails and/or use DropBox, for me personally it is a non-issue.
    03-31-14 02:29 PM
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

That annoying delay is the camera locking focus and metering (setting exposure) before activating the shutter, and then snapping, processing, and saving the image.

It means the camera is slow, compared to the iOS and many Android Flagship cameras that do the same thing much faster.

If the shutter is fast and the camera is focused it can still take a clear picture even with some movement. Other cameras display this all the time (HTC and Apple phones are impressive for this because of their fast focus and shutter speeds). However, if the camera isn't in focus and metering hasn't been done, it will do that before it takes the picture.

All cameras do this, but all cameras do not do this at the same speed. Some are faster (iPhone), and some are slower (Z10). This isn't some new BB feature. The camera has always done this; they didn't insert this in a patch... Otherwise everyone's pictures would be out of focus as the camera would have been snapping almost all of their pictures before properly focusing and setting the exposure, Lol. Sometimes the Auto-Focus is fast (i.e. in ideal lighting; outside on a sunny day with the subject being at an ideal distance and little to no movement in the background) and this isn't needed when the shutter is pressed. Sometimes the camera is not focused (dubious or low light, lots of movement, etc.) or exposure is not set, so the phone will do this and then take the picture after the shutter is pressed. Many people equate this to shutter lag...

The Z10 is a Galaxy S3/HTC One X-era device so it's a pretty bad recommendation for anyone who can get a 5C or 5S at this point - if the camera is important to them.. That's my opinion. That being said, the Z30 uses practically the same optics and camera software as an updated Z10, so even the upgrade doesn't help them there...

If they value the camera on their phones and use it a lot, all BB10 devices are a bad recommendation because the camera on the iPhone will be a start and obvious difference in both speed and picture quality compared to Blackberry's devices. Few devices focus as fast as the iPhone (HTC's One devices, maybe) for photography, and even fewer have a shutter as fast as that device.

Optics and Camera software for BB devices are clearly not a first, second, or third priority...
    I can assure you that I know exactly what I'm talking about. Maybe you don't understand what I'm talking about and need further clarification but I certainly do. Most of what you said about the camera locking the focus before activating the shutter is the same thing I was referring to. I've had my Z10 since about June 2013 and it had OS 10.0 installed. At that time if I tapped the screen to take a photo the phone would take the photo as soon as possible - whether or not the white focus square turned green to indicate that the image was in focus. In a subsequent OS update BlackBerry changed the behaviour of the camera app to wait until the focus box turns green before the picture is taken, regardless of when you touch the screen. Sometimes this could take some seconds. It wasn't like that in 10.0 when I got my phone so don't tell me what I know. So that is the delay which I was referring to and I consider that to be a feature which is aimed to help users take better (less blurry) pics. There maybe other sources of delay and it's possible that the OP wasn't referring to the same "Automatic delay till focus" delay which I was referring to.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 04:27 PM
    That's actually not true. I was an exclusive BB user and picked up the iPhone 5S last October and it "just worked". It was intuitive and required no learning unlike the Z10 and Q10. I actually felt that the iPhone was a far more natural and easier transition for me than BB10 was. My kids who had both switched from BB to iPhones (iPhone 5) also said that they were impressed at how iPhone "just worked".
    Thanks for only speaking to a portion of my post (rolling eyes). You're delusional if you think any piece of hardware "just works"!

If that were the case why isn't everyone in the world just using an iPhone? I mean if it "just works" so flawlessly as you portray, then why such a huge surgence of Android in recent years?

I don't deny the evolution and great marketing of the iPhone but let's face it, it took 8 years for Apple to get where they are and people still believe BB10 is on par if not better from an OS standpoint. Watch the tied change if BlackBerry were to sign an app store deal for Google.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 05:39 PM
    Please don't say "upgraded", say CHANGED. I think Z10 is better then i5c
    03-31-14 05:40 PM
    Thanks for only speaking to a portion of my post (rolling eyes). You're delusional if you think any piece of hardware "just works"!

If that were the case why isn't everyone in the world just using an iPhone? I mean if it "just works" so flawlessly as you portray, then why such a huge surgence of Android in recent years?

I don't deny the evolution and great marketing of the iPhone but let's face it, it took 8 years for Apple to get where they are and people still believe BB10 is on par if not better from an OS standpoint. Watch the tied change if BlackBerry were to sign an app store deal for Google.

Posted via CB10
    I've heard so many times about the "tide changing" if only X that I'll believe it when I see it.

Furthermore, isn't it ironic that Blackberry -- the company that claims to be the guardian of all things secure and security could see a change in its fortunes from an app store deal with Google? Haven't BBRY fanboys consistently said that the Google app store is a completely unsecure environment where apps are freely loaded without any regard for legitimacy or security?!? Hmmm...if all BB becomes is an appendage of Android, what would the point be of a completely separate OS? Why not just develop Android devices with physical keyboard?
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-31-14 06:55 PM
    Her reason is because it couldn't do all the things an iPhone could do. Examples include:

She couldn't get text messages from iPhone users (I told her this would be an issue and tried to fix it for her but could only do so much since she lives halfway across the country).

She couldn't figure out how to sync it via bluetooth to her car.

Siri

Maps

The delay between "taking a picture" and actually having it take the picture.

---

I'm mostly pissed at Apple for hijacking people's phone with iMessage. I'm sure that was a huge paint point.

Bluetooth - I'm not sure. I wish she had just called me for help here.

Siri - yeah, the equivalent on BlackBerry sucks. I agree with her here. I hope the Intelligent Assistant is going to blow Siri out of the water but who knows.

Posted via my amazing Q10
    Re: Maps, She could use Snap to download Google Maps. Problem Solved.

Re: Siri, it's actually how you phrase your questions. And then there's the app SayIt. Hopefully Intelligent Assistant matches or exceed Siri.

The Auto mode in the Camera app is quite fast, actually faster than iPhone. If you put HDR mode on then yes, of course it's a delay.

Just show this video to your family member:
    03-31-14 07:36 PM
    Re: Maps, She could use Snap to download Google Maps. Problem Solved.
    Does it work on BB10?
    03-31-14 08:04 PM
    My buddy today had a great point about BlackBerry. They were doing this year's ahead of apple and Google. So they do know what they are doing.

I thought it was a interesting point and we'll taken.

Guess my device. "It has keys"
    03-31-14 08:08 PM
    Furthermore, isn't it ironic that Blackberry -- the company that claims to be the guardian of all things secure and security could see a change in its fortunes from an app store deal with Google? Haven't BBRY fanboys consistently said that the Google app store is a completely unsecure environment where apps are freely loaded without any regard for legitimacy or security?!? ..........
    Not so ironic maybe because most any exploration in an Android app is going to be aimed at the android O/S. Because the android app is running in an emulation mode in the Blackberry O/S there is little to no ability for any exploitation of the Z device. My understanding of the issue and not an expert opinion.
    03-31-14 08:09 PM
133 ... 23456