This isn't a thread complaining about my beloved device. I do not wish to return it and it has lived up to my expectations rather well. Coming from an iPhone 4s, it was like being beaten with love. However, I have been having one or two issues with Facebook and contacts.

I have around 1200 friends on Facebook because I mainly use it for promotional purposes. The problem with this is that these all sync to my phone once I login to the app. As you can imagine, that process is a long and slow one. What's worse is that whenever I go to compose a message, all these contacts appear. Call it OCD but I find this highly irritating. As well as this, any new contacts I make are duplicated. One saved to sim and the other to the actual device. So here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to stop my phone from syncing all my Facebook friends to my contacts? I'm aware you can choose which contacts are displayed through the settings menu but this actually doesn't remove them. They still remain when you go to compose an sms. I want the syncing to stop completely. I don't want them in my contacts at all. However, I still want the ability to receive FB messages through my hub. Is this possible? 1200 slows my device and is just a pain.

2. How do I stop new contact entries from duplicating? I don't use gmail/outlook so that bug doesn't apply to me.

Thanks guys.
    Any help is appreciates.
    04-24-13 06:01 AM
    Yes. Sort of. You can turn sources off in the Contacts app. However, a number of posters have complained that they don't stay off. I assume this is a bug that will be fixed.

Anyway, open Contacts. Swipe down from the top, tap Settings, turn off the switch for those contact sources you don't wish to see.
    04-24-13 06:16 AM
    If you switch them off from contacts I think it does work, but if you have the find friends options off within fb app it won't work.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 06:24 AM
    Yes. Sort of. You can turn sources off in the Contacts app. However, a number of posters have complained that they don't stay off. I assume this is a bug that will be fixed.

Anyway, open Contacts. Swipe down from the top, tap Settings, turn off the switch for those contact sources you don't wish to see.
    Apologies, I probably should have explained this part a little clearer. That option I have tried. To my dislike, that setting only hides those contacts. It still keeps them on your device. Which means the 1200 or so friends are still slowly (very slowly) loaded into my contacts and still cause an issue when composing an SMS. That setting also doesn't stop the composing a text issue where the FB contacts are displayed. Also, that option has the tendency to resort back to default when the phone is restarted. It's like covering up a nuclear bomb blast, yet the fumes still impact me and in reality, the huge crater is still there.

I could always use the web FB app but this doesn't allow me to IM FB friends through the hub. I hope this cleared up my issue a little more.

@radlink14: The find friends option doesn't stop the syncing either. I'm fairly sure that isn't it's function.
    mtbdave likes this.
    04-24-13 06:26 AM
    2. How do I stop new contact entries from duplicating? I don't use gmail/outlook so that bug doesn't apply to me.
    In regard to Facebook, your best option (for now pending an update) may be to delete the Facebook account and log into Facebook via the browser. The other choice is to live with it as is until OS update.

NEW CONTACT ENTRIES:
    -- Does this mean everytime you enter a New Contact they show in duplicate????
    -- Can you look at a pair of duplicate contacts and determine their "Links"?????
    (open each contact then click "Links" at the bottom)

I'm not sure why you would have duplicates but the "Links" should tell you.
    04-24-13 06:29 AM
    [QUOTE=duckduke;8369134]
    2. How do I stop new contact entries from duplicating? I don't use gmail/outlook so that bug doesn't apply to me.QUOTE]

In regard to Facebook, your best option (for now pending an update) may be to delete the Facebook account and log into Facebook via the browser. The other choice is to live with it as it.

NEW CONTACT ENTRIES:
    -- Does this mean everytime you enter a New Contact they show in duplicate????
    -- Can you look at a pair of duplicate contacts and determine their "Links"?????
    (open each contact then click "Links" at the bottom)

I'm not sure why you would have duplicates but the "Links" should tell you.
    Yeah, it's starting to seem like using the web app may be my only option. It's a little annoying, considering one of the main reasons I was attracted to the hub was it's ability to merge all my IMs. As for the duplicate entries, it seems fairly random. Sometimes one is for SIM and the other is for local. Then sometimes I have the contact already link and it just creates a new, identical entry.

Also, appreciate the help you guys are giving
    04-24-13 06:33 AM
    Apologies, I probably should have explained this part a little clearer. That option I have tried. To my dislike, that setting only hides those contacts. It still keeps them on your device. Which means the 1200 or so friends are still slowly (very slowly) loaded into my contacts and still cause an issue when composing an SMS. That setting also doesn't stop the composing a text issue where the FB contacts are displayed. Also, that option has the tendency to resort back to default when the phone is restarted. It's like covering up a nuclear bomb blast, yet the fumes still impact me and in reality, the huge crater is still there.

I could always use the web FB app but this doesn't allow me to IM FB friends through the hub. I hope this cleared up my issue a little more.

@radlink14: The find friends option doesn't stop the syncing either. I'm fairly sure that isn't it's function.
    I have the leaked 10.1 OS so apologies if it's like this in 10.0 but I can't remember how I did things under the last OS. Some of what I can do and some bugs may have been worked out for you in the new release.

I have Facebook turned off in Contacts. ( I have about 600 FB contacts ) I do have some of my contacts linked so their Facebook pic and info show up on the regular contact list. If I check contacts under SMS, only my regular contact list is shown (no Facebook) If I start to type a Facebook-only name, nothing is shown.
    Going to the Hub, if I hit 'compose' I am given a choice of what, including Facebook, (as well as BBM, PIN, and my email accounts) If I choose Facebook, ALL my Facebook contacts populate, and I can then IM them from within the Hub (Facebook doesnt open)

As I said, maybe this is how is works under 10.0, but I can't remember.
    Regex likes this.
    04-24-13 06:43 AM
    I have the leaked 10.1 OS so apologies if it's like this in 10.0 but I can't remember how I did things under the last OS. Some of what I can do and some bugs may have been worked out for you in the new release.

I have Facebook turned off in Contacts. ( I have about 600 FB contacts ) I do have some of my contacts linked so their Facebook pic and info show up on the regular contact list. If I check contacts under SMS, only my regular contact list is shown (no Facebook) If I start to type a Facebook-only name, nothing is shown.
    Going to the Hub, if I hit 'compose' I am given a choice of what, including Facebook, (as well as BBM, PIN, and my email accounts) If I choose Facebook, ALL my Facebook contacts populate, and I can then IM them from within the Hub (Facebook doesnt open)

As I said, maybe this is how is works under 10.0, but I can't remember.
    This has gave me a little bit of hope. Hopefully 10.1 resolved my issue. Do you find that the 600 contacts slows down your phone still because even though it's not visible, it's still saved locally? I do like how with your version, they don't appear when composing an SMS or in your contacts, unless you select the option to compose a Facebook IM via the hub. That's a little bit of relief to know a fix is potentially on it's way for me.
    04-24-13 06:47 AM
    I don't think it's random ......

-Enter at least 2 New Contacts (Jimmy Bobby & Rocky Balboa)
    -Now check both of their "Links"

Report back ......... this will help us help you.
    04-24-13 06:50 AM
    I don't think it's random ......

-Enter at least 2 New Contacts (Jimmy Bobby & Rocky Balboa)
    -Now check both of their "Links"

Report back ......... this will help us help you.
    One is SIM and one is contacts. Is there no way to automatically merge these two upon entry, instead of having to manually go through each one? Or without having to use something like contact x?
    04-24-13 06:55 AM
    One is SIM and one is contacts. Is there no way to automatically merge these two upon entry, instead of having to manually go through each one? Or without having to use something like contact x?
    Since you are not sync'ing with an email contact account (Outlook/Yahoo/Gmail).... each time you add a contact it should show as 1 contact that has 2 "Links"
    -- Local
    -- SIM

There is no way to change this because there is no way to set a default contact account. All contacts (by default) have the "Links" = Local and SIM.
    There is also no way to manage this while you ADD a New Contact.

It sounds like you are getting both "Links" but they are showing up as 2 contacts ...... each with one "Link".
    You can easily combine them:
    -- open 1 of the duplicates (Local)
    -- click "Links" at the bottom
    -- now click "Add Link"
    -- now scroll through your contacts to find the other duplicate
    -- select it and Save
    You should now have the 2 duplicates combined as one.

NOTE: Another option would be to simply delete all of the SIM contacts and then all of your contacts would simply be saved on your device/Local (and not SIM + device/Local). You would first want to determine where all of your contacts were initially saved on your phone (SIM or Local) in order to decide where you want maintain them going forward (SIM or Local).

NOTE: You can also combine duplicates created by BBM and other social media duplicate "Links". But ..... use your Local or SIM contact to open first and then choose the social media duplicate to combine/merge/Link with it.

Hope this helps!!
    Regex likes this.
    04-24-13 07:07 AM
    This is a problem for me as well. I Don't really understand why a new contact is stored on SIM and local. I would prefer my entries to be all on SIM for the ease of transferring phones and keeping contacts. The links just confuses me.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 07:13 AM
    They handled this situation well in the PlayBook where you could control contact syncing by account. I wish they would have carried that over to BB10 instead of assuming you want all accounts to present the contacts it has then try to hide them in the Contacts app.

I assume this it one of the several things the classic BBs do better that will eventually make their way to BB10.
    04-24-13 07:19 AM
    This is a problem for me as well. I Don't really understand why a new contact is stored on SIM and local. I would prefer my entries to be all on SIM for the ease of transferring phones and keeping contacts. The links just confuses me.

Posted via CB10
    I agree 100%. Most or at least many here don't have a clue this is happening.

If you also sync with an email they will save 3 places:
    1- Local
    2- SIM
    3- Email account
    If you sync 2 email accounts ... add another one for a total of 4 places..... and there is no way to manage this on the front end. You have to do it on the back.

ONE ADVANTAGE --- if all of your contacts were initially stored/Links 'Local'...... you can look at the SIM contacts at any time to determine the New Contacts you've added since you started using your device.

I have commented in the Betazone on this issue, in the Z10 survey at the Betazone, and a number of places here on this issue. I think the reason this is not more of an issue is because to many don't even know it's happening and/or don't understand it. Anyway.... it can be managed if you understand it.
    04-24-13 07:21 AM
    They handled this situation well in the PlayBook where you could control contact syncing by account. I wish they would have carried that over to BB10 instead of assuming you want all accounts to present the contacts it has then try to hide them in the Contacts app.

I assume this it one of the several things the classic BBs do better that will eventually make their way to BB10.

That would be perfect. It's just a little frustrating being swarmed with hundreds of unwanted contacts, just so you can use the FB app or use the hub for your IMing.
    Does anyone know if 10.1 will bring such improvements?
    04-24-13 07:59 AM
    That would be perfect. It's just a little frustrating being swarmed with hundreds of unwanted contacts, just so you can use the FB app or use the hub for your IMing.
    Does anyone know if 10.1 will bring such improvements?
    The dev and leaked10.1 versions that are out now (and are not final) do NOT allow you to set a default contact account.

I don't know about managing the contact account Links while adding a New Contact or editing an existing contact. I don't have to much hope at this point since you can't even set a default contact account ....... but.... we haven't seen the final 10.1. We'll see.

I would hope that an OS update in the next few months will correct/improve some of this even if it's not the initial 10.1.
    04-24-13 08:13 AM
    The 10.1 version that is out now (and is not final) does NOT allow you to set a default contact account.

I don't know about managing the contact account Links while adding a New Contact or editing an existing contact. I don't have to much hope at this point since you can't even set a default contact account ....... but.... we haven't seen the final 10.1. We'll see.
    That's disappointing. I suppose all I can do is wait and see. There doesn't seem to be too many people complaining about the forced Facebook contacts sync, so I'm a little bit worried that it wont be too high up on the priority list for them.
    04-24-13 08:20 AM
    When adding a new contact, I go to Contacts, then click on the account (ie: Gmail or Outlook), then I click ADD....that way it only adds to that particular account
    04-24-13 10:02 AM
    When adding a new contact, I go to Contacts, then click on the account (ie: Gmail or Outlook), then I click ADD....that way it only adds to that particular account
    It may very well work for you .......... it does not work for me.

I just went to contacts >> gmail >> ....... I added Joe Blow. Then I saved and opened Joe Blow to find the following Links:
    1-- Local
    2-- SIM
    3-- Live.com
    4-- Gmail.com

I tried it again by going to contacts >> Live and adding John Blow .......... same result ........... 4 Links.
    04-24-13 11:19 AM
    I just started having a problem a couple of hours ago with Facebook & Contacts app where it inexplicably linked the wrong FB account to the wrong people in contacts. Annoyingly all of these contacts were already linked to the correct FB account. Once you go into linked accounts it has strangely managed to link itself to someone else. Unlinking them and then trying to link the correct person doesnt work as all of my FB contacts that I would want to link with contacts in my phone book arent showing up.

Contacts app is also listing random phone numbers and bbm pins with no names attached to them which is very irritating. Its difficult to work out which person the contacts app has unattached these pins & phone numbers from. Annoying part is we are at least 2 weeks away from 10.1 which may or may not fix many of these known bugs with contacts app which has been around since launch.
    04-24-13 02:42 PM
    I'm sure I don't need to tell you ........ that does not sound good.

My advice is if you have a backup copy of contacts.... keep a safe copy somewhere and reload everything from scratch when 10.1 comes. Maybe something in the official 10.1 will help.

I actually have read 1 or 2 others here posting very similar (possibly identical) problems. I am really not sure what is causing it but it doesn't seem like any Social Media group should be able to over-ride or reconfigure any of of your contact data. It would seem that your contact data should rule and be the dominant data source.

Sorry to hear about the mess you have and hope it improves for you!
    04-24-13 03:13 PM
    I just started having a problem a couple of hours ago with Facebook & Contacts app where it inexplicably linked the wrong FB account to the wrong people in contacts. Annoyingly all of these contacts were already linked to the correct FB account. Once you go into linked accounts it has strangely managed to link itself to someone else. Unlinking them and then trying to link the correct person doesnt work as all of my FB contacts that I would want to link with contacts in my phone book arent showing up.

Contacts app is also listing random phone numbers and bbm pins with no names attached to them which is very irritating. Its difficult to work out which person the contacts app has unattached these pins & phone numbers from. Annoying part is we are at least 2 weeks away from 10.1 which may or may not fix many of these known bugs with contacts app which has been around since launch.
    I think I had the same problem as you before....after loading 10.1 (this was already after I had all the duplicate contacts), and syncing my contacts to the phone after the new leaked O/S, I tried texting a friend, however, I got a response under another contact's name...then i responded to that message under that new contact, and ANOTHER contact responded....at the end, I didn't know who the heck I was talking to about whatever what not....then I decided to do a hard reset on my phone, and set the phone up again from scratch....I went thru my Gmail account (on my computer) and went thru my 400+ contacts and deleted and straightened up my contacts there until it's perfect....I saved a file of that contact list JUST IN CASE....then after setting up my phone, I did NOT log into any social media....I do not store my contacts on my SIMS, so I went to SIMS Management and deleted ALL the contacts that were in there....then I allowed my one email address that had my contact list to be set up to sync my contacts....

now, whenever I want to store a new contact, I just MANUALLY write down the phone number (or memorize it), then MANUALLY goto Contacts, then select my Gmail account contact list, then once I'm in there, I click on ADD and add the new contact MANUALLY....that way it only saves in my Gmail account...I think the Facebook app is the culprit in the contact list problems...that is the reason why I do not use the native FB app for BB10...I downloaded xFacebook and use that instead (eventhough it doens't have notifications)....

as far as Twitter or LinkedIn contacts, I just went and unlinked them....and now, my contact list problem is solved...just no FB app running
    04-26-13 11:54 PM
    From what I can tell through ploughing through multiple forums, the contacts issue is just something I'm going to have to put up with.

Sadly, this means not using the native Facebook application. As for the duplicate entries for sim and local, I just wiped my device and now only the sim entries are there. Solved the issue for the current, not new contacts.

I hope 10.1 provides a solution. I mean, I doubt they will allow this to become an ongoing issue.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 06:49 AM
    Omg this is so annoying. Just got a z10 and all my Facebook contacts synced. I turned them off in contacts but if I compose a new text, it searches all my freaking Facebook contacts.
    04-30-13 05:52 PM
    Omg this is so annoying. Just got a z10 and all my Facebook contacts synced. I turned them off in contacts but if I compose a new text, it searches all my freaking Facebook contacts.
    Contacted the support team via Twitter and not much support was given. They just suggested typing more of their name when composing a text so the required contact reaches the top of the list. I know it doesn't exactly prevent any communication, it's just highly annoying.
    05-01-13 09:41 AM