1. Open settings
    2. Tap Display
    3. Turn off 'Allow Gestures when Locked'

space

Sorry for yet another battery thread, but this is for every Z10 owner that may have missed this tip. For the many that report abysmal 6 hour-ish battery life, this tip should help substantially. That was my Z10 too. Many have posted this tip in other thread replies, but without many follow ups.

Is this a Bug? Yeah, seems like it. I don't think we should have to turn this defining feature off, but until OTA update addresses this, I will deal with it.

So to all disappointed Z10 owners, have you tried this yet? Post a your before and after!

02-16-13 01:50 AM
    What abt ur before and after?
    02-16-13 01:55 AM
    If you disable the gestures you will no longer be able to swipe it awake. You will then instead have to hit the top button then swipe. More steps is annoying.
    02-16-13 01:57 AM
    And how exactly is this supposed to help? I've been off charge since 810 am Friday... it's 3am sat with 13% left... that's almost 19 hours and my swipe to unlock is set to on...

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-16-13 02:00 AM
    I found thus made very little difference to me.

Open active frames and bad signal are the killer on my phone.

Zanzizi and Djlatino like this.
    02-16-13 02:05 AM
    I'm not doubting you but I would like to know how it saves battery life
    02-16-13 02:06 AM
    And how exactly is this supposed to help? I've been off charge since 810 am Friday... it's 3am sat with 13% left... that's almost 19 hours and my swipe to unlock is set to on...

I'm glad for you... believe me!!

But for those of us CURSED with a battery from the defective batches, every little thing we can do to cut back on battery drain will extend OUR battery life a little bit longer than the 4.5 hours that WE get on a full charge.

I've swapped my Z10 for a new one once already and so far no improvement in battery life; however, I'm giving it a week or more as apparently the device can take a while to 'learn' the battery profile. If nothing improves during that time (as it did not on my previous Z10) then I will be taking this one back as well. And I will keep doing so until I get one that works as well as yours.

So with respect, your experience is not our experience, so don't rag on the OP for posting the useful tip that he did.

Cheers
    00stryder, Novaone and G-bone like this.
    02-16-13 02:13 AM
    I've been lucky I guess. After the first full over night charge I took my phone off the charger around 4:30am and didn't plug it back in until 6pm that night and I had a little less than a quarter of the battery life left. This was also my first full day with it so I was probably playing with it more than I will once I've had it a while.
    I try not to leave many frames open, I've dimmed my screen a bit more than the default and I don't use LTE just HSPA+ I get the same if not better battery life than I did from my 9790.
    now, If I'm at home using bluetooth for bridge and wifi thats a whole other story, the battery will drain quicker.
    Johnnyboy5 and Novaone like this.
    02-16-13 02:26 AM
    I like I said in my opinion it did not help me (much) but i might be one of of the lucky users. I get around 12 hours out of it.

With swipe to unlock off I get an extra hour. The strangest thing is when I'm at work and on wifi all day I still get 12 hours its like the checking for data really kills Z10's

Novaone likes this.
    02-16-13 02:43 AM
    Joeybee & Remus really you can't see how this trade off might be good for some Z10 owners? I am glad your Zs are fine.

Yeah the lock button is an extra step. Maybe you didn't catch that I would prefer to keep this on, but for now I prefer longer times between charges.
    ex. If your Z10 was off charge at 7:40 am and by 11:30 am its sitting at 63% without really even using it since your in class, thats not good. Then hit 40% around 1 pm with some browsing and BBM... That is pretty bad.

Emu - How would this help the battery?
    The capacitive bezel needs to have small voltage applied to create an electrostatic field, always ready to detect a finger for the unlock gesture. Now this should be no big deal, but it does consume some energy. The other thing is the screen/digitizer seems to also have a voltage applied too, as I can unlock the phone without actually touching the bottom bezel [I just tried, screen swipe works too].

If the gestures are off and the display is black, no voltage is applied to charge the screen/digitizer or the bottom bezel and create a electrostatic field. The lock button is a [simple] switch by comparison. Saves some energy. But, also I feel this is a bug, and should be fixable. That is my thinking about this. Does not affect all of us either.. :/
    02-16-13 03:06 AM
    I found this didn't help very much. but a tip i would suggest:

when done looking at your z10, hit the top button to put it to sleep (turn screen off) instead of letting the screen display when you're not looking at it.
    Stewartj1 and Zanzizi like this.
    02-16-13 08:45 AM
    Unless you are already getting 16+hours.. I would recommend trying this for about two days before you knock it.

Honest. Give it a fair shot guys and post back!

when done looking at your z10, hit the top button to put it to sleep (turn screen off) instead of letting the screen display when you're not looking at it.
    Agree dude, locking instead of the timeout will benefit your battery.
    rizaru_rin likes this.
    02-17-13 12:48 AM

But for those of us CURSED with a battery from the defective batches, every little thing we can do to cut back on battery drain will extend OUR battery life a little bit longer than the 4.5 hours that WE get on a full charge.

I've swapped my Z10 for a new one once already and so far no improvement in battery life; however, I'm giving it a week or more as apparently the device can take a while to 'learn' the battery profile. If nothing improves during that time (as it did not on my previous Z10) then I will be taking this one back as well. And I will keep doing so until I get one that works as well as yours.

So with respect, your experience is not our experience, so don't rag on the OP for posting the useful tip that he did.

Cheers
    How did you end up swapping your device. I am with Telus and I noticed sometimes my battery lasts only 4 hours... 4 HOURS! ugh it pisses me off
    Novaone likes this.
    02-17-13 01:06 AM
    so is this a battery issue most likely or a device issue? I tried this method but after a half a day I had to switch back to "allow gestures" because I use it so much. I would say that my battery life is affecting the productivity of my phone. it is plugged in ALOT
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-17-13 03:54 AM
    Lowering my screen brightness from default to minimum meant that I extended my phone use from 15 hours to about 24 hours.
    Stewartj1, Zanzizi and b320 like this.
    02-17-13 05:14 AM
    This tip seems to work for me very well. I used to get 6 hour-battery. But it lasts a full day for me now after turning off the gesture. Hope this bug will be fixed soon.
    QERNB and Novaone like this.
    02-17-13 02:49 PM
    I may not agree with the crucifying responses but I agree this is not really practical
    02-17-13 08:31 PM
    I did this on 2/5 after playing with mine for a few hours and seeing high power drains. It has definitely added extra battery life...and where it really makes a difference is in the standby time, which makes a lot of sense since the screen is never really "off" if the swipe-to-wake feature is active.
    Novaone likes this.
    02-17-13 08:44 PM
    I may not agree with the crucifying responses but I agree this is not really practical
    Not really practical? It takes one second longer to unlock with gestures off...and even if you do it 100 times in one day, that's one a half minutes / day. What's so impractical about that to get another 6+ hours of battery? Can't have everything in life...
    Zanzizi, QERNB, vwracing and 1 others like this.
    02-17-13 08:50 PM
    Thanks for the tip, I was wondering what that feature was all about.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 09:07 PM
    Not really practical? It takes one second longer to unlock with gestures off...and even if you do it 100 times in one day, that's one a half minutes / day. What's so impractical about that to get another 6+ hours of battery? Can't have everything in life...
    Another six hours of additional battery life if the gestures are disabled when locked? Are you joking or just wrong?

If you are referring to the OP's post he said "For the many that report abysmal 6 hour-ish battery life". He does NOT say that it will get another 6+ hours of battery.

As a side note, I am not sure where the "For the many that report abysmal 6 hour-ish battery life" claim is coming from anyway. As someone who comes on this site clearly more often then the OP I am seeing a general 12 hour claim. I am also among these people with 12 hours battery.
    02-18-13 01:38 AM

Here's the Protip:
    There are no 'defective batches'.We heard that story with the 9900 and some of us swapped batteries a billion times with no avail. I for one went through 3 Bold 9900 devices just looking for decent battery life.

bottom line is the poor battery life is most likely down to radio issues...i'm sure you'll find that many of those with excellent battery life have their devices connected to Wifi most of the day, have few BBM contacts, don't belong to any BB Groups and live and work in areas with excellent signal quality.
    Zanzizi, imz and kevinnugent like this.
    02-18-13 01:43 AM
    I found this didn't help very much. but a tip i would suggest:

I agree also. The 9930 screen is the same way and I've been locking my screen with the top button for a year and much quicker than the OP's steps with the same results. Locking the screen with the top button removes all current from the screen. When you need the phone, just push the button again and the screen is active. Still though, for those that were unaware the top button would perform the same function, the OP had a good tip for those that need it, but just use the button now.
    02-18-13 01:48 AM
    I agree also. The 9930 screen is the same way and I've been locking my screen with the top button for a year and much quicker than the OP's steps with the same results. Locking the screen with the top button removes all current from the screen. Still though, for those that were unaware the top button would perform the same function, the OP had a good tip for those that need it, but just use the button now.
    Its not the same result as a 9930, it couldn't be - it doesn't have bezels.

On the z10 default settings when you press the top button the phone screen turns black. It can then be awoken by swiping up from the bottom bezel, without even touching the top button again.

Once the no gestures when locked feature is enabled when you press the top button and the phone goes black, you have to press the top button again and then swipe up. Instead of just swiping up.

In effect, the bezel sensors are turned off when the screen is black by using this "tip"
    02-18-13 01:54 AM
    Here's the Protip:
    There are no 'defective batches'.We heard that story with the 9900 and some of us swapped batteries a billion times with no avail. I for one went through 3 Bold 9900 devices just looking for decent battery life.

bottom line is the poor battery life is most likely down to radio issues...i'm sure you'll find that many of those with excellent battery life have their devices connected to Wifi most of the day, have few BBM contacts, don't belong to any BB Groups and live and work in areas with excellent signal quality.
    That may be true with some, but not all. Rarely use wifi as I'm in the field a lot, I have a number of BBM contacts,most work related ,and in three groups, 5 email accts, talk on Skype twice a day for an average of 30mins per call, 5 days a week, field calls and data all day at work, a little browsing and a lot on my task-list and calendar, BT is on all day as I'm bridged all day as well, and lastly Gtalk is on all day. Having said that, while at work, I do have good wifi and cell signal, but from 18:30 to 23:00 I'm at home using my phone and in a fringe area with very bad reception. By bedtime I'm usually around 25%. That's 16hrs with most of it power use.
    02-18-13 02:05 AM
64 123