Here's a direct comparison between the Z10, the 5, and the S3:

BlackBerry Z10 camera versus iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3

My judgement:

Picture 1: Z10 wins - Most natural colors.

Picture 2 (magnified): S3 wins - Most detail, but may be because of over-exposure.

Picture 3 (flowers): 5 wins - Z10 over saturated. S3 over-exposed again.

Picture 4 (water): Tie Z10 & 5 - S3 over-exposed.

Picture 5 (water magnified): Tie Z10 & 5 - S3 over-exposure cost resolution this time.

Picture 6 (buildings): S3 wins - Best shadow detail and most natural sky. Z10 has poor shadow detail.

Picture 7 (globes): 5 wins - Good depth of field. Z10 dark. S3 poor depth of field.

Picture 8 (concrete): 5 wins - Good detail and natural color. Z10 green. S3 soft.

Picture 9 (SF WEEKLY): Tie Z10 & 5 - 5 has more natural collors, but Z10 has more detail in sign. S3 washes out the background.

Picture 10 (Reading man): S3 wins - Best coat detail.

Picture 11 (Reading man magnified): Z10 wins. Higher contrast and more saturation provides more skin detail.

Picture 12 (hot): Z10 wins. Least halo effect. 5 has more detail though, but ultimately the fuzzyness of the lighted sign ruins the shot. S3 is awful.

Z10 wins: 1 - 4 - 5 - 9 - 11 - 12

5 wins: 3 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 8 - 9

S3 wins: 2 - 6 - 10

Conclusion: I could live with either the Z10 or the 5 - the S3 is simply terrible. Overall, I favor the less saturated colors of the 5, but the slightly higher contrast of the Z10 works better in diffused light. Surprise! The Z10 produced the best low-light photo with less washout of the illuminated sign, but the 5 had better detail.
    Yes, because unlike other reviewers out there this one knew how to enable night mode.
    01-23-14 10:18 AM
    Yes, because unlike other reviewers out there this one knew how to enable night mode.
    Night mode shutter speed is no better than any other mode and it is not a magic bullet that kills all problems in low light.

All of those comparisons were of still life, which pretty well every camera can do without any problems. It is the perfect scenario.

In real life folks, the Z10 camera blurs the hell out of anything that has the slightest movement to it, on every possible setting in every lighting condition . Period.

I have shots in a well lit room were faces are blurred because people were saying "cheese"... face mode, burst mode, normal, with flash, same thing unless everyone is unnaturally still for the entire time it takes for the focus to narrow in - which will take forever if there is the slightest movement of a face

Compare all the pictures of dead stuff you like, but don't think for a moment that it means anything when it comes to capturing the moments of our lives.

Magnificently composed using CB10 on my BB Z10!
    01-23-14 02:20 PM
    Here we go again...

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    01-23-14 06:49 PM
    I did not say that! I love the photos from my Z10...better than my partner's iFen 5s
    01-23-14 06:54 PM
    The Z10 camera is quite nice for what it does and I'm quite happy with it. The only camera which is better is the Nokia phone. Great pixel resolution and clearly the embedded software is topnotch. Not a fan of the iPhone camera, over rated and really not worth discussing as it is an unmemorable product. But remember, there is a group of people that takes great pride in taking overexposed selfies.

Posted via CB10
    So tell me, why exactly are people so happy with iPhones?
    Why do they always win the customer satisfaction ratings and why is the usual device an iPhone owner replaces his phone with, another iPhone?

If it wouldn't even be worth discussing and it's such an unmemorable product....
    Why do the facts completely contradict your statement?

It's not a bad camera in most conditions if you have the patience to work with it. Just firing off shot after shot though of course you're going to get a ****ty photo.

That said it's not the best I have seen.

Posted via CB10
    A well known meme would say it like that:
    Ain't nobody got time for that.

If I want to take endless minutes to get the right shot, I'd buy a DSLR where I can manually play with things like ISO, aperture and focus.

Under normal circumstances, most people don't want to do that, which means that my phone has to be fairly quick, especially when other phones are far better in regards of focus speeds, or the time it takes to make another photo.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 08:33 PM
    I had just posted a photo comparison between Nokia's newest ultra budget friendly arrival against the Z10.
    Z10 will be in threat in the camera zone, should an update on NOKIA corrects on it's shortfall...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-rocks-897006/
    01-25-14 11:01 PM
    I had just posted a photo comparison between Nokia's newest ultra budget friendly arrival against the Z10.
    Z10 will be in threat in the camera zone, should an update on NOKIA corrects on it's shortfall...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-rocks-897006/
    I saw that post. And you do realize you are comparing what was a high end phone to an ultra budget phone with a camera unchanged from its predecessor (the 521) which was released the same time frame as the Z10? So it's really a comparison between the Z10 camera and the 521 camera. And let me repeat: you're comparing cameras of what was a high end phone and what was/is a low end phone. Does that make sense? Try comparing the Z10 camera to a Lumia 925/928. That way it won't be apples and oranges.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photo Channel
    01-25-14 11:15 PM
    Lumia 92x have their limitations as well...

In this case, i would much prefer the natural darkness of the sky, and street lighting in the background captured by HTC.

And this is captured with another user's Lumia 920,

While mine with the Z10,
    Everyone says that Z10 camera is bad but...-img_00000047.jpg
    Everyone says that Z10 camera is bad but...-img_00000042_7.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Everyone says that Z10 camera is bad but...-img_00000047.jpg  
    01-26-14 12:25 AM
    Absolutely no problem with the camera!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 01:24 AM
    Everyone says that Z10 camera is bad but...-img_20140126_085158_hdr.jpg
    Everyone says that Z10 camera is bad but...-img_20140126_085442.jpg
    BlackBerry Z30 no editing

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 02:16 AM
    I'm pretty satisfied with the camera. It takes amazing still life photos and it is a good document scanner. The only problem I have with it is that it focuses slow and keeps refocusing.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 02:18 AM
    Z10 camera is poor!

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 05:27 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140126_085158_hdr.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	241763
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140126_085442.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	241764
    BlackBerry Z30 no editing

Posted via CB10
    You do realize you are taking those in ideal lighting conditions: outdoors, it appears to be overcast with no direct sunlight. Any smartphone camera can take good pictures. Take that inside or when the lighting conditions aren't ideal and see the results.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photo Channel
    01-26-14 05:37 AM
    So tell me, why exactly are people so happy with iPhones?
    Why do they always win the customer satisfaction ratings and why is the usual device an iPhone owner replaces his phone with, another iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    Well, you might not be trolling, so I will try to answer that. The reason is that a lot of people are self-satisfied, uninformed, ignoramuses. Apple and the media tell them they should be satisfied with their product, until next year, when it comes the tricky time of persuading them their year-old phone is no longer so great. So far they have been succesful every time, and everone goes out and buys a new product, barely different from the last, while the rest of the world looks on and facepalms.
    01-26-14 09:05 AM
    Well, you might not be trolling, so I will try to answer that. The reason is that a lot of people are self-satisfied, uninformed, ignoramuses. Apple and the media tell them they should be satisfied with their product, until next year, when it comes the tricky time of persuading them their year-old phone is no longer so great. So far they have been succesful every time, and everone goes out and buys a new product, barely different from the last, while the rest of the world looks on and facepalms.
    Or...maybe because the iPhone camera is actually quite good? But you also said they're the same thing time after time. Let's take a look at the recent iPhones.

The 4 was a tremendous jump from the 3Gs. I don't think anyone will argue that.

The 4s wasn't a huge jump, keeping the same frame, but added a dual core processor (up from a single core), a much improved camera, Siri, and it also fixed the reception problem.

The 5 was also a large jump from the 4s. Completely redesigned body, larger screen, better camera, more RAM, and much improved chipset.

The 5s was a decently sized jump. The 64 bit processor was a huge jump and the camera is vastly improved. It also added a fingerprint reader as well as an OS change.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    01-26-14 09:14 AM
    I wouldn't say they are all uninformed, but their expectations are different. They expect less from a smartphone in terms of features and compatibility with a non Apple device. This doesn't make them morons, they just use their devices in a different way and for different things.
    01-26-14 09:18 AM
    For some reason, I've done a side by side comparison with an iPhone 4s, 5, and 5s, and I find that the Z10 camera is superior. The rear one at least. The colors are a lot more vibrant and there is more detail in normal conditions. I've taken many photos that confuses my iPhone pals because they can't take shots like those. And also I've compared the size of the photos and I find that an average iPhone 5 pic is around 300kbs and a Z10 one is around 1mb. I'm not as tech savvy as many people on Crackberry are, so I'm not exactly sure what this means, but it's just what I've noticed. Of course, in low light conditions, the Z10 gives me pictures that are dark, grainy, and just really terrible, and the front camera is nothing to boast about either.

I'm not sure if it's just me with a really good camera, because I've been told that my Z10 is something of an abnormality because it's also incredibly glitchy. But for me, the camera isn't a problem at all, I'm quite satisfied. Not sure why people are complaining.

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 camera is outstanding and is right up there with other similar devices. It's a huge step up from the cameras I've used on my BBOS devices.

Tech radar did a video comparison of the Z10 vs iPhone 5 cameras. Watch it and judge for yourselves:

Keith H. Posted via CB10 on Z10.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-26-14 09:19 AM
    To me, your post only reinforces mine. I will post a photo taken with my z10 here, in an effort to keep the thread on-topic.Everyone says that Z10 camera is bad but...-img_00000007.jpg

Settings were point and click.
    Attached Thumbnails Everyone says that Z10 camera is bad but...-img_00000005.jpg  
    Last edited by BBFunGuy; 01-26-14 at 10:16 AM.
    01-26-14 09:22 AM
    To me, your post only reinforces mine. I will post a photo taken with my z10 here, in an effort to keep the thread on-topic.
    Who are you talking to? Quotes would have been helpful

kthhrrsn likes this.
    01-26-14 09:28 AM
    My wife has an iPhone 5 and she admits the z10 has produced better pictures. I am surprised by how nice the pictures are.

Posted via CB10
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    01-26-14 09:29 AM
    Everyone says that Z10 camera is bad but...-img_20140126_132905.jpg

Posted from Z10 with 10.2.1.1925 leak. Pwnage apparatus!
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    01-26-14 09:30 AM
    From the figures you have provided it would imply that the iPhone 5 uses a higher data compression ratio thus giving smaller file sizes. The downside of this of course is that quality will suffer. I'm still using a Torch 9810 which has a 5 megapixel camera and I find the picture quality excellent when shooting outside. Inside in low light using the flash I find that the pictures can be a bit on the blurry side. I need to check out the various settings on the camera to try and improve this as I use auto most of the time. My file sizes tend to be just over 1 MB.
    The 9810 was probably the better camera for quality that I've used on any BB phone, then the Z10 / Z30, and the 9900 is the worst (and really bad even for business use).

I wish the camera quality was better on the BB10 phones (I'm still on 10.2) especially in indoor and low light. Outdoors its as good as the rest. I find that the iPhone camera is more forgiving, has fewer contrast issues, and can still show details that washout in some situations.

I don't think BB needs to improve the camera quality much, but lower / indoor light improvement, focus speed / better auto focus would move it to average / above average a little, and would no longer be a negative in the feature comparison column.
    01-26-14 09:32 AM
    Who are you talking to? Quotes would have been helpful

My guess is that nobody else will struggle.
    01-26-14 10:12 AM
    If you have good lighting and non moving objects the camera is fine. If the lighting is dim at all the Z10 camera is really poor.
    Agreed but can you name a phone camera which is good at this everytime. Z10 takes good pictures in low light if you brace it and keep it still. There are plenty of blurry iPhone and Android photos too. There is no algorithm developed yet which understand exactly the type of pictures being take and adjusts all the setting accordingly. Over the year I have had plenty of point and shoot cameras demonstrate significant differences in their abilities in low light and frame rate capture.

Need some POW? Follow POW on BBM channels C004634C3 and find all the big snow spots.
    Ed YANG likes this.
    01-26-14 10:41 AM
    Well...being a semi-photographer, the take here is that these are phones and not cameras. The Z10 does shoot a good picture. Most of these phones nowadays if you hold them still. What you end up with, while it may look really cool on your phone, it won't translate anywhere else. That's certainly debatable. If your "photography" world revolves around cell phones and social websites, is there really a "camera" debate? Better colors? Better focus? Don't worry...buy a camera. or get a photo processor with a lot of bells and whistles. Is there really a debate about which throwaway camera is the best?

Posted via CB10
    scorepion likes this.
    01-26-14 10:58 AM
112 12345