I think the z10 camera is pretty good. It captures natural light better than the iPhone IMO. I find that the iPhone auto adjust the white balance which make the images warmer. Natural light is blue hue. I rather take the shot in natural then add warmth if needed. Similar to my dSLR. Some shots look great in a natural setting. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 07:47 AM
    Are we comparing these shots on their respective devices, or on the same computer which is independent of any of the devices?

Shots always tend to look good on the device you're taking it with, assuming you're in focus and the shot is clear. It isn't until you view it on an independent machine where you find out the true quality of the photos.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    scorepion and knighty2112 like this.
    01-22-14 07:51 AM
    And also I've compared the size of the photos and I find that an average iPhone 5 pic is around 300kbs and a Z10 one is around 1mb.
    Posted via CB10
    Something is wrong here. Are you actually looking at the original? On my iPhone 4 that would be about 1.5-1.7 MB. Your pic size should more like one of the compressed options iOS offers when mailing a pic; I just checked one of my pics and if sent as "Large" is about 350 MB.
    01-22-14 07:55 AM
    My Z10 takes much better pictures than my wife's iphone 5. I love to compare pictures and tease her...

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 08:03 AM
    I believe the MB file size is completely irrelevant, it's the picture size and DPI that's important.
    01-22-14 08:04 AM
    Let's also remember that even professional photographers manipulate their shots in their post production work. The image or view we see after taking a shot is just the view that the person who developed the software for the phone/camera thinks is best (from their viewpoint). With a little work and effort with a photo editing suit (and it doesn't have to be mega expensive like Adobe either) then even a photo that may initialy look poor can still be manipulated to look stunning.

If you just want to point and shoot with no further photo editing done then more often than not your photos won't look great, regardless of phone or camera.

Z10 In action here!
    01-22-14 08:04 AM
    If you have good lighting and non moving objects the camera is fine. If the lighting is dim at all the Z10 camera is really poor.
    01-22-14 08:24 AM
    For some reason, I've done a side by side comparison with an iPhone 4s, 5, and 5s, and I find that the Z10 camera is superior. The rear one at least. The colors are a lot more vibrant and there is more detail in normal conditions. I've taken many photos that confuses my iPhone pals because they can't take shots like those. And also I've compared the size of the photos and I find that an average iPhone 5 pic is around 300kbs and a Z10 one is around 1mb. I'm not as tech savvy as many people on Crackberry are, so I'm not exactly sure what this means, but it's just what I've noticed. Of course, in low light conditions, the Z10 gives me pictures that are dark, grainy, and just really terrible, and the front camera is nothing to boast about either.

I'm not sure if it's just me with a really good camera, because I've been told that my Z10 is something of an abnormality because it's also incredibly glitchy. But for me, the camera isn't a problem at all, I'm quite satisfied. Not sure why people are complaining.

Posted via CB10
    Um, who said the Z10 camera was bad? I've heard that its not as good at as certain competitors or its average, but I have never heard that it has a bad camera.
    01-22-14 09:09 AM
    My impression is that the Z10 camera is neither good or bad, it's average. I have a Nokia 808 and the Z10 camera is not even near the quality you get from the 808, it's another league. However, comparing the Z10 camera with Nokia 808 is not really fair as it is the top camera of all phones. Also, the camera of the Galaxy S4 is substantially better than the Z10. The Z10 is on par with the rest of the group of high to middle end phones I think.

If I would classify the negatives of the camera it would be.

Colors are often washed out and dull
    Sharpness of photos is often not that good
    The photos are often grainy

That said, the same problems are also valid for the majority of the phones out there. After using Nokia 808 you also become spoiled.
    01-22-14 09:35 AM
    My wife uses my z10 over her s3 anyday than makes me send her the pics after on BBM. She refuses to use hers for camera as many comparisons have shown mine has better pics.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    01-22-14 10:36 AM
    The hardware is great, but the camera software is absolutely awful, especially when compared to the software on my wife's HTC One Mini.

Still life photos on the Z10 are fine. Add even the slightest bit of movement and the pictures become blurred garbage.

The focus algorithm is trash - takes way too long and has too narrow a field, which often makes the edges of a picture blurry.

Time Shift - excellent, I get to choose between this blurry face or that one!

Again, the hardware is fine and the software is what causes people to complain. I hope BlackBerry replaces it with what HTC uses.

Magnificently composed using CB10 on my BB Z10!
    01-22-14 10:48 AM
    I find the Z10 camera 100% better than the iphone. Anytime my friends try to take pictures on their iphone, doesn't look half as good as the Z10 quality. The iphones cant even take pictures at night time properly with the flash (haven't seen pictures taken with the 5s but the 5 and lower all come out blurry)
    my wife was a concert a while back with 2 of her friends and they have IPhones and she was the only one to get pictures with her Z10 and then had to send them to her friends because their phones couldnt get any.
    01-22-14 10:53 AM
    Everyone says that Z10 camera is bad but...-img_00001295_edit_edit.jpg
    Everyone says that Z10 camera is bad but...-img_00002281_edit.jpg

Proudly Z10 owner !
    Mr.Monty, CMcRob and Javid Gozalov like this.
    01-22-14 10:54 AM
    I find that in good lighting conditions the Z10 has a perfectly acceptable camera but when u start to compare it to the iphone5 or 5s I don't think people are going to take you serious. If I can remember from another thread, there is a website that professionals compares cameras and the Z10's was ranked like 13th. If it was really that good I think we would've seen that mentioned in the many Z10 reviews out there.

Posted via CB10
    My god before I got to your post I was like "...oh geez. Here comes the BB circle jerking. I'm just waiting for the 'The Z10 camera is better than the Canon 1Dx' and the 'I have a Nikon D4 and the Z10 is better.'"

I have a Z10. The camera is NOT good. You won't really notice the deficiencies in the camera until you hit lower light environments. I took the same picture indoors with my camera (Z10), the HTC One (which was a busted one with the purple haze issue), a Galaxy Note 3, and a iPhone 5S.

The Z10 was easily the worst out of those phones. By a long shot. I believe in this test, the Galaxy Note 3 won out, followed closely by the iPhone. Both of them had somewhat grainy photos but you could see quite a few details. The HTC One was quite a bit behind due to the purple haze effect (this is a bug though) but you can see quite a bit of details too. Then limping into last place was the Z10. It was grainy and you couldn't make out most of the details because the photo came out extremely dark. Don't take my word for it though. Just grab a friend's iPhone, get a low lit situation (like imagine a fancier restaurant) and take pictures with both cameras.

The Z10 camera though is pretty good in well light situations. Pictures will be on par with all the others if the situation is well lit. I have absolutely no complaint about the quality in brightly lit areas.
    Rello likes this.
    01-22-14 11:17 AM
    I totally agree with u. In great lighting, it's a pretty good camera. I'm no expert by any by means but I wad impressed by the pics I got.

In low light though, the pics leave you saying "wtf" lol. I can't take anyone who really feels like it's camera is better than ip5 serious. Where are the reviews to say it? It's a good camera. I would never say it was terrible. That's over exaggerating

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 06:06 PM
    For me, I thought the problem was the operator! I am able to take better snapshots with my old Bold even though the specs aren't as good. Possibly the software...makes me feel better.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 06:17 PM
    I don't take lots of pictures, but I'm always amazed with the quality of the picture my Z10 takes!

Postes via CB10 on my Z10
    01-22-14 06:20 PM
    The z10 camera is terrible. That's right. A good camera works well in all conditions and lighting to constantly produce decent to good photos. The z10s camera is not serviceable in med to low light conditions. As much as I hate to admit it, the iPhone camera I'd much better.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 07:14 PM
    Z10's camera is not bad, and it's not perfect either.
    The major minus to me is the full control of the camera.
    I can't adjust ISO.
    I can't control on it's resolution.
    And for me, who is terribly poor @ touch screen control, really needs a dedicated camera button for the camera focus function like STORM2 and 9860.
    01-23-14 12:48 AM
    I believe the MB file size is completely irrelevant, it's the picture size and DPI that's important.
    JPEG uses lossy compression so if a file size is small for a high resolution then it must affect overall picture quality.
    01-23-14 02:32 AM
    Video recording is better on my 4s. Way better. Sound quality and video. Pics I'm OK with tho
    01-23-14 03:26 AM
    The z10 camera is terrible. That's right. A good camera works well in all conditions and lighting to constantly produce decent to good photos. The z10s camera is not serviceable in med to low light conditions. As much as I hate to admit it, the iPhone camera I'd much better.

Posted via CB10
    Are you getting the same results using the night mode?
    scorepion likes this.
    01-23-14 04:04 AM
    It's not a bad camera in most conditions if you have the patience to work with it. Just firing off shot after shot though of course you're going to get a ****ty photo.

That said it's not the best I have seen.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 07:55 AM
    Are you getting the same results using the night mode?
    Exactly. Or no flash in low light. You just have to try different settings. I get pretty good shots in low light. Unless I get in a hurry.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 08:33 AM
    Here's a direct comparison between the Z10, the 5, and the S3:

BlackBerry Z10 camera versus iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3

My judgement:

Picture 1: Z10 wins - Most natural colors.

Picture 2 (magnified): S3 wins - Most detail, but may be because of over-exposure.

Picture 3 (flowers): 5 wins - Z10 over saturated. S3 over-exposed again.

Picture 4 (water): Tie Z10 & 5 - S3 over-exposed.

Picture 5 (water magnified): Tie Z10 & 5 - S3 over-exposure cost resolution this time.

Picture 6 (buildings): S3 wins - Best shadow detail and most natural sky. Z10 has poor shadow detail.

Picture 7 (globes): 5 wins - Good depth of field. Z10 dark. S3 poor depth of field.

Picture 8 (concrete): 5 wins - Good detail and natural color. Z10 green. S3 soft.

Picture 9 (SF WEEKLY): Tie Z10 & 5 - 5 has more natural collors, but Z10 has more detail in sign. S3 washes out the background.

Picture 10 (Reading man): S3 wins - Best coat detail.

Picture 11 (Reading man magnified): Z10 wins. Higher contrast and more saturation provides more skin detail.

Picture 12 (hot): Z10 wins. Least halo effect. 5 has more detail though, but ultimately the fuzzyness of the lighted sign ruins the shot. S3 is awful.

Z10 wins: 1 - 4 - 5 - 9 - 11 - 12

5 wins: 3 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 8 - 9

S3 wins: 2 - 6 - 10

Conclusion: I could live with either the Z10 or the 5 - the S3 is simply terrible. Overall, I favor the less saturated colors of the 5, but the slightly higher contrast of the Z10 works better in diffused light. Surprise! The Z10 produced the best low-light photo with less washout of the illuminated sign, but the 5 had better detail.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    01-23-14 09:31 AM
112 1234 ...