Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, but I'm reading posts and articles on Crackberry for a while.
    I own a Z10 since a couple of months (latest official OS, 10.2.0.429) and never had problems, but I now have one: I sometimes receive e-mail return receipts twice and one of them cannot be read or deleted. I tried restarting the hub and the phone (by pressing vol up and vol down) but it doesn't change anything. I also tried deleting the return receipt on my PC, but it only deletes one of the two on my phone and the one which stays cannot be read either.

My email address uses my own domain name, and the only thing that changed recently is my hosting service provider.

Do one of you have an idea of what I can do? I tried deleting the mail address from the settings of my phone and then adding it again, but the problem shows up again.

Thanks a lot

Kevin

PS : I hope there are not too many mistakes, I'm French !

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 03:39 AM
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, but I'm reading posts and articles on Crackberry for a while.
    I own a Z10 since a couple of months (latest official OS, 10.2.0.429) and never had problems, but I now have one: I sometimes receive e-mail return receipts twice and one of them cannot be read or deleted. I tried restarting the hub and the phone (by pressing vol up and vol down) but it doesn't change anything. I also tried deleting the return receipt on my PC, but it only deletes one of the two on my phone and the one which stays cannot be read either.

My email address uses my own domain name, and the only thing that changed recently is my hosting service provider.

Do one of you have an idea of what I can do? I tried deleting the mail address from the settings of my phone and then adding it again, but the problem shows up again.

So this is the email service provided by your web hosting provider?

What protocol are you using to connect? POP3, IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync?

Are you sure the copy on your phone is not a draft, or unfinished forwarded copy or something?
    12-22-13 05:57 AM
    The protocole is IMAP.
    The document is not a draft or something like that. I cannot open the return receipt (clicking on it has no effect) and I cannot delete it either (clicking on delete has no effect). I tried to forward the mail but it says it is impossible to show the message.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 06:12 AM
    And: on my PC, I only see one return receipt, not two.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 06:13 AM
    I wonder if you can do a SEARCH for those receipts. And then Press/hold and delete prior or Select ALL and then Delete? It sounds as if they are phantom and don't really exist.

Do you need the Receipts? Maybe turn that feature off for the moment?

Good luck,

And WELCOME to Crackberry and your English is fine.
    12-22-13 10:37 AM
    The message doesn't show up when doing a search, only the "real one" shows up.

That is true, I could stop this feature but it's a professional address and I need it for some emails at least (for example when sending an invoice)

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 11:03 AM
    Oh, another off-the-wall (crazy, if the idiom is not familiar) suggestion - you can try loading Ghost Commander (bb world, android port). Or appManager. Here's what I have captured but I don't know if it will work in your case

""I fixed my notifications by installing ghost commander from app world, then in the left pane chose apps, then found the downloads app, then chose "shortcuts" tapped the shortcut that appeared, launching the downloads app. From there I deleted the failed downloads and the notifications have stopped now. No need to uninstall any apps, unless they keep retrying the downloads even after deleting them manually.

Is it a download notification you are getting or some other app notification? The only ones I've had that have persisted are failed download ones, which I can fix using the method I described. Try launching the Android "Settings" app via Ghost Commander and see if you can find the app through the "Manage Applications" option there, to make sure it is definitely gone.

A slightly easier method: Get "Quick App Manager" from the App World, run it and it should show icons for all Android apps. Tap "Downloads" (icon is a green square with a white downward arrow) and then "Open". From there delete the failed downloads.

Luckily, there's a fairly simple solution: Go to App World and download "Quick App Manager". Open this app, and it will show you all the Android apps installed on your PB, including a system app called "Downloads". Tap the "Downloads" app icon and choose to load the app, and you should find a list of files, probably just the two PDFs you mentioned. Tick the boxes beside them and delete them (can't remember if the option appears automatically when you tick the boxes or if you have to swipe down from the top bezel after ticking the boxes). That should fix your problem. Afterwards, you can delete Quick App Manager if you want.
    "

Again, these may not work for your problem but you can try!
    12-22-13 11:39 AM
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, the first solution does not work and I can't find Quick app manager to test the second one.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 12:10 PM
    Since the protocol is IMAP and all your emails should be safely residing on the server, I would try deleting the account on the Blackberry, restarting the device, then re-adding the account back.

Sounds to me that something in the email database got corrupted, I would think that this would fix it since it should re-create the local database for that account.

Also I forget if this was added in 10.2 or 10.2.1, but if you have the feature that allows you to decide to "delete email only from Hub", be very careful with that feature. I'm not sure it works 100% reliably yet.
    12-23-13 01:28 AM
    I already tried to delete the account and re-add it back. It deletes the unreadable message(s), but it doesn't really solve the problem: two days later, the problem was back with another return receipt. I cannot delete, re-add and reconfigure the account every day...

I thought about doing a security wipe, but this would really be my last option...

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 02:43 AM
    I already tried to delete the account and re-add it back. It deletes the unreadable message(s), but it doesn't really solve the problem: two days later, the problem was back with another return receipt. I cannot delete, re-add and reconfigure the account every day...

I thought about doing a security wipe, but this would really be my last option...

Can you explain in detail what you mean by "return receipt"?

Are you using a "request return receipt" feature on one of your email clients?

BB10 does not support this, so I assume this is from one of your other email endpoints?

You realize that that feature is of limited usefulness, since many recipients (like me) refuse to send any sort of response to those anyway, right?
    12-23-13 03:07 AM
    I use this feature on my e-mail client on my PC. Many of my clients send those return receipts especially when sending invoices.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 03:32 AM
    I use this feature on my e-mail client on my PC. Many of my clients send those return receipts especially when sending invoices.

Yep you really have to have an agreement with specific recipients to use those, because for example, I consider it a privacy invasion for people to demand to know when I open or read an email.

It's possible that the HUB gets confused by the format of those emails because they could be formatted in way that may appear to be "strange" - ie the "FROM:" header is the recipient but the "Envelope sender" is the email server.

Does your email provider offer any sort of email filtering rules? One workaround you might try is setting up a rule to do something with those return receipts, like automatically move them to a folder not synchronized to the Blackberry.
    12-23-13 04:24 AM
    I have this same issue with a regular email. I got a duplicate message which cannot be deleted. Deleting the original message does not remove the 'ghost' message, which can't be opened, forwarded, or deleted. Haven't removed the Account yet but I think this is my next step.

Again, this is a regular email, not even a read receipt.

the duplicate only shows up in the hub, not my email.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 11:17 PM
    Hi Kevin,

here is a pretty easy solution. change your email from conversation to single message in the hub setting. then change back to conversation and the duplicates should go away. it takes about two minutes to rebuild the hub twice, still faster than a battery pull (which doesn't solve the problem anyway).

rj

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 11:21 PM
    Hi,

Thanks, the ghost messages have disappeared, but I doubt it will solve the "real" problem. I'll keep you informed if the problem comes up again.

Kevin

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-26-13 04:01 AM