Who's still on Verizon unlimited data? 💰💰💰

Data_theNew_Greed
    I gave up my unlimited to upgrade to my Z10 which I'm still using. No way I was going to pay $700+ for this phone but now I regret it. I'm so close to using 2gb each month where I connect to public WiFi every chance I get!

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 07:46 PM
    RE: unlimited data. Has anyone else received a letter from Verizon about getting the hatchet to it?

"These users are using data amounts well in excess of our largest plan size (100 GB). While the 100 GB plan is designed to be shared across multiple users, each line receiving notification to move to the new Verizon Plan is using well in excess of that on a single device."

Whew. I just hit 107GB for the first time. Normal usage is maybe 20GB/mo. Maybe I'll get in under the wire.

http://m.crackberry.com/verizon-expe...588.1469294762
    Last edited by RJanney; 07-23-16 at 11:17 PM.
    07-23-16 11:01 PM
    So I bought a Verizon Z30 with OS Version 10.2.1.2273 to primarily use as a modem and to have a non-work organizer.

Shoutouts to Email & Web Unlimited users!
    For us BlackBerry users, that's what it is, them calling it "Data" like we're filling a hard drive is ridiculous.. right?
    but what do I know? USA.NET was my first email provider with the motto "Free E-mail For Life" and became pay-only. Reminds me of NetZero.
    It disgusts me that 15 years later we still allow businesses to slowly corrupt our BlackBerries, but I didn't come here to rant.
    https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...tinued.565421/

This thread is both helpful and confusing. My "VZW over Tethering/MHS Entitlement" was faded out. It took hours finding out I need an older escreens bar and then the struggle to find a working link. I managed to find this on Google. It looks legit. I'd like a trusted opinion about whether this 340kb file is what I need. Maybe one of you know the owner of the file? Thanks in advance.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Nk...1naWpyQ00/edit

Have any of you tethering back on 10.2 since upgraded to 10.3? Are your prior escreen tether modifications lost?

My device is already trying to do a mandatory software update despite having automatic updates disabled. I'm aware after 10.3.1 you can't downgrade so to avoid 10.3.2 so I had to Security Wipe my device so it wouldn't try downloading every chance it got. I'd appreciate it if someone could me how to stop OTA updates from interfering while using this method as it even tries downloading when only on LTE. Can any autoloader or network settings prevent forced updates or checking? I already have another BB10 device on the latest software so I want a legacy BB10 version to experience the best of both worlds having 10.2 and 10.3.

My only leads for an escreens bar file had broken links

This is the escreen I use. Please let me know if the download does not work.

https://mega.co.nz/#!vgwRAQCa!9aase2...F4Iryt3j3Gj82U

Edited to include key.
    and this one linking to a post by "rafise" with a now broken bitcasa link

One can find the link to escreen in this thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...1055-a-877876/
    My specific needs require an actual Wi-Fi hotspot. So bluetooth or USB tethering won't cut it. I considered using usb or bt to tether a Windows netbook from which to transmit this Wi-Fi signal. A clever idea except for how impractical it is for my devices on the go. I bought the EasyTether Pro app on BlackBerry World for $10. It sometimes crashes, but can work in short durations on BT and USB tether. I once relied on the $30 Tether app on OS6 in the 3G days, but it has since shut down. I hope this is useful information for some of you.
    FastLane228 likes this.
    08-28-16 06:22 AM
    08-30-16 07:55 PM
    Any T-mobile customers successfully doing this? Until I can figure out how, a BB10 phone bridged to a playbook is our only internet.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 09:56 AM
    I'm also curious if any of you enabled tethering during 10.2 and had tethering still work after updating to 10.3.1. Anyone?

Right now my device memory is full of files so it has only 100mb of free space so the mandatory update isn't an issue for now. Still a danger if I ever free up enough space. Maybe I should keep my device pretty full to keep it from downloading and try an SD card for file storage? Not sure if that can avoid the update.

So currently I have some great news to share! Windows is usually known to not allow tethering via bluetooth like tablets to, however, I went into "Devices and Printers" where my paired Bluetooth devices are on my netbook laptop, and I managed to use the Internet Tethering via Bluetooth by right clicking my bluetooth paired BlackBerry and on the popup menu click "Connect using" > "Access point", then a network icon appeared and it's definitely using bluetooth. This is on Windows 7. Figuring this out is amazing in itself as everything I read suggested otherwise. I wasn't able to use Easytether's windows client to connect to non-easytether bluetooth, but I don't care because this is direct and much more stable. No regrets except paying $10 for an app that's way too unstable.

Next I'm going to take time to explain that despite being told APN was required on Tethering these days, my Z30 can still tether using the same Internet Tethering and Hotspot, after installing the new escreens bar. I used the SACHESI tool found on these forums. Sachesi 2.0.2 is best if your installing of the 2015 C++ Redistributable if you get DLL errors. The 2013 redistributable is the minimum requirement. I had issues with 2015, but maybe it's just me. Another tip is make sure you have BlackBerry Link installed because Sachesi relies on the drivers installed with that. Your device doesn't need to be in development mode nor have a password set for it to work. Once you have Sachesi opened, your phone should be recognized in the Device tab, next click the Install tab, first uncheck "Only install newer apps" then drag the older escreens bar linked by zaxin. Then the rest of the steps are as explained in the first post. Personally the only setting I had to change in escreens was turn VZW Entitlement to off (don't have escreens open until sim card is inserted because your changes likely won't work because it needs current carrier information so you would have to close and reopen). I restarted my device before or after changing the tethering, though this may not be necessary I did it to be safe.

The Z30 gives off a Wireless N hotspot according to my Classic so that should be a nice signal for newer devices. My plan as of now is to carry two BlackBerry devices whenever I think I could benefit from a hotspot and tether my Classic for more efficient battery use.

This was a complete success. Personally I want to keep 10.2 so I can experience the old BB10 since my Classic has the latest. I'm still going to stand by for those of you that took the chance of upgrading. Advice to those of you getting an old BlackBerry 10 device with 10.2 to use on Verizon, fill your device storage and keep it full before inserting the sim card because mandatory update sets in almost instantly. The update size is 1.3GB and it's asking me to free up 3.2GB probably for the installation process. I'm being descriptive because the lack of information out there is why it took me even more hours to make the right conditions for tethering on 10.2 to work and hopefully last.
    09-01-16 11:41 PM
    Bump, in case the questions are buried.

Old_Mil asked if T-Mobile customers have been successful. I'm on Verizon, but can only assume it would on 10.2. I've heard 10.3.0 can too? Another user needs to answer if it's ever not possible.

My question was if anyone has enabled tethered then upgraded after. Does tethering ever disable such as simply updating or inserting sim cards again? I want to know if it's permanent once successful. I'm afraid to allow the mandatory update to happen so I will keep my device memory low until anything conclusive is mentioned. By searching the forum I found nothing describing a "before and after".

Thanks if any of you can answer.
    09-05-16 09:57 PM
    I started out enabling the tether capability on 10.2. Later using the advice in this thread, I manually updated to 10.3.0.908.

I'm currently still on 10.3.0.908, and everything is working well. To stop the mandatory update, I filled up my Z30's memory with apps and music with about 1gb of memory to spare. I also installed a 128gb SD card.

I once installed a T-Mobile sim card, but the tether function did not work. When I reinstalled the Verizon sim, I had to go through the escreens process again to enable tethering.

I'm very happy with the setup.

Posted via CB10
    SC9530 likes this.
    09-07-16 12:56 AM
    Good to hear from all the unlimited people, I'm using a LG V10 and my BlackBerry z10 as a backup, foxfi works good for tethering also if anybody picks up A Android device. And I haven't got any notice from Verizon, so far my data usage is around 20GB a month.

Data_theNew_Greed
    SC9530 likes this.
    09-21-16 02:29 PM
    I'm back with an update, after a literal update. I removed my sim card first to avoid the forced update and get 10.3.0 instead.

For my Z30 I used the proper autoloader exe which involves connecting to your PC through USB, the executable will reboot your device and the screen will stay back, after hitting enter it starts to flash the rom. The phone's notification light remained green and it took about 4 minutes about 10 minutes had passed by the time it had started up in the new operating system. I need to warn what is probably obvious. Updates, at least this kind done through the exe will essentially be a security wipe. All your calls, messages, apps, everything will be lost. To be safe I backed anything of value from the filesystem, checked most apps individually to save anything I could. I missed a few important things after the fact, but nothing my life depends on I guess.

So here is what else I learned in the process. 128gb SD cards are supported on the Z30, but ONLY on 10.3.0 because 10.2.1.2273 was the last version before support of large memory cards was supported. I should also mention the operating system I updated to, Release 10.3.0.908 OS 10.3.0.1418, doesn't immediately support it. It requires you to have access to BlackBerry's servers where your phone itself grabs a required driver from and enables this support. So now I got myself successfully on the same setup as zaxin with the 128gb sd card and manages to install the bar for escreens again. The mandatory update kicks in soon after you insert your sim card so I suggest filling it with trash data or files you won't ever be removing from the device otherwise it will throw you into 10.3.2 where tethering can't be redone. I thought it out before I did it so the process was mostly painless except having to reconfigure my entire phone. After updating it's basically a new phone again with no personal data or customized settings remaining. I mean *everything*. I had to pair all my bluetooth devices again too and add all my contacts and browser bookmarks so be warned if you do this.

The jump from 10.2 to 10.3 has different changes to the operating system like the newer icons. It's lacking the in depth emoji set sadly. "Voice Control", "Search", and "Games" are the 3 icons you lose in the update. So not a big deal, except I never got to check out if Games was just linking to the category in App World or was meant for something special like unreleased multiplayer options. Yes this is also the update that adds green to your calendar's theme and more. Your loading bar medal slims down and loses that purple to blue hue and instead is just blue. I also don't see the old stock wallpapers of 10.2. It's all different. Not complaining, just saying there will be some losses moving over so be ready and note what you want to retain to avoid confusion later. I haven't seen many in depth comparisons in my searches so I'm doing my best to point it out.

A note for past reference is I was switching between two BlackBerry phones, and each time I inserted my sim card back into my Z30 I had to go back and toggle the VZW entitlement back so I decided to try to stick with it and just tether my other BlackBerry to my Z30 to avoid the trouble.

I hope this experience is helpful to any of you thinking to have more of a hotspot setup. I plan for the Z30 to be my final phone until I leave Verizon.
    10-16-16 03:48 AM
    Can you use a sim card reader/ writer and software to change the pin code on the sim and then block any changes somehow?

Posted via CB10
    06-06-17 09:40 AM
586 ... 222324