I am not a developer or a mad scientist, I just decided to play with the e-screen a lil bit. I had some limited experience there from a couple of years back when I managed to make a Verizon Storm 1 work on Sprint (voice only). The e-screens are not for the casual user so if you do not know what you are doing , my advice for you will be to stay away

Here's how I removed all Hotspot/Tethering restricions from my Verizon Z10.

Here's a disclaimer : whatever you do to your phone from now on it is up to you, this is not a tutorial in any way shape or form, it is just a description of my experience with the e-screens, trying to remove carrier restrictions, I am not responsible in any way if you start messing with other settings in the e-screens. Do it at your own risk !!!

1.First of all, read this article very well : How to access the engineering (Help Me!) screen on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

2.Once you have unlocked your e-screen, go to General Radio. Look for option "QCT Modem DUN" and turn it on. I am not sure what this option does, I am still researching it , but with it off it will not work. Update : some Verizon users told me that it's working without this step, for others like myself this step is a must otherwise it's not working. Try and see if it works for you

3. Go down, look for "RNDIS IP Tethering". Click on it. First thing you do is modify the option on the bottom, "VZW over Tethering/MHS Enttitlement" to off. Second option you modify is "Enable IPv6 over MHS/Tether, and you modify that to "shared". I tried with dhcp but it did not work on my phone. Update : dhcp works too

4. restart your phone, battery pull recommended.

5. Test both USB/Bluetooth tethering and Hotspot

I will upload pics in a bit here, hope it works for you guys as it worked for me
    Attachment 149193
    Attachment 149194
    Last edited by ciprianmuresan; 04-08-13 at 06:44 PM.
    04-08-13 08:21 AM
    Before :
    Attachment 149188
    Attachment 149189
    Last edited by ciprianmuresan; 04-08-13 at 08:36 AM.
    wagnrb likes this.
    04-08-13 08:22 AM
    Are you sure eliminating restrictions is what you are looking to do? What if you eliminate the restriction and get a huge data bill for using data not in your current contract?

You may be eliminating the restriction, but you may not be eliminating the billing. During the early days of the PlayBook, a few Bell customers got hit with big bills by manually setting up the tethering info on their phones using wap.
    Benjamin Black likes this.
    04-08-13 08:35 AM
    After :
    Eliminating carrier tethering/hotspot restrictions using e-screens-img_00000075.png
    Eliminating carrier tethering/hotspot restrictions using e-screens-img_00000074.png

Posted via CB10
    tarbuthnot and wagnrb like this.
    04-08-13 08:37 AM
    Are you sure eliminating restrictions is what you are looking to do? What if you eliminate the restriction and get a huge data bill for using data not in your current contract?

You may be eliminating the restriction, but you may not be eliminating the billing. During the early days of the PlayBook, a few Bell customers got hit with big bills by manually setting up the tethering info on their phones using wap.
    Not sure yet, but so far this is the only solution for someone who has their Tethering/Hotspot blocked by the carrier and they don't want to pay extra . Until Tether.com or pDAnet or other apps show up in App World, this is the only way out so far. You are right, there are risks that we don't know yet but time will tell
    wagnrb likes this.
    04-08-13 08:41 AM
    Just tried this with AT&T and no success. May need to modify somethiung with the apn for this? Any thoughts?

Pritesh
    04-08-13 08:42 AM
    Just tried this with AT&T and no success. May need to modify somethiung with the apn for this? Any thoughts?

Pritesh
    Not sure, I do not have an AT&T phone to try. Mine is Verizon
    04-08-13 08:44 AM

This is tethering, yes your carrier might realize what you are doing and they might not like it. But you don't have to use it. You have the option to use it but you also have the option to turn it off. Before this, I only had one option

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 08:51 AM
    I'll volunteer, just need to know what settings (aside from what you've already stated) that we can change. Still couldn't override the apn, I tried to change it but it kept reverting to phone. I think that's going to be the biggest issue.

Hopefully someone else with a bit more knowledge of the AT&T Z10 can join and assist us here.

Pritesh
    04-08-13 08:53 AM
    I'll volunteer, just need to know what settings (aside from what you've already stated) that we can change. Still couldn't override the apn, I tried to change it but it kept reverting to phone. I think that's going to be the biggest issue.

Hopefully someone else with a bit more knowledge of the AT&T Z10 can join and assist us here.

Pritesh
    Post a screen capture of the RNDIS menu

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 08:57 AM
    Eliminating carrier tethering/hotspot restrictions using e-screens-img_00000017.png

Ignore the DHCP thing, that's not obviously the reason it didn't work. Even shared had no success.

Pritesh

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by siliconvalley785; 04-08-13 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Clarification
    04-08-13 09:07 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000017.png 
Views:	5508 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	149203

Ignore the DHCP thing, that's not obviously the reason it didn't work. Even shared had no success.

Pritesh

Posted via CB10
    Try changing the VZW over... option to off, then click back to get out of the sub menu then do a phone restart

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 09:12 AM
    Yea an ATT fix would be awesome.

Posted via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK)
    04-08-13 09:13 AM
    No effect. Still wants me to subscribe to a tethering plan .

Pritesh
    04-08-13 09:18 AM
    No effect. Still wants me to subscribe to a tethering plan .

Pritesh
    Have you completed step #2?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 09:22 AM
    Ah good old forum helping hand. Its good to see there are still people out there on this site to provide substantial work arounds. I feel like now a days due to the development of technology work arounds are hard to find. I am on AT&T and I will try to see given your instructions how to get this to work on att. A quick google search turned up the APN settings for AT&T but I will need to find the information directly relating to 4G LTE devices as I am guessing it would be different from the 3G devices.
    lactose and RJanney like this.
    04-08-13 09:24 AM
    I'll borrow a Z10 on att from a friend this week and I will try to figure it out. Like I said, my Z10 is on Verizon. My advice to you is don't mess with the escreens unless you know what you are doing

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 09:24 AM
    confirmed this method works for me on VZW.

Thanks!
    04-08-13 09:25 AM
    confirmed this method works for me on VZW.

Thanks!
    **** yeah, son!!! Who's yo daddy? Lmao! I am kidding, glad someone confirmed it

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 09:27 AM
    Got that enabled from the start.
    Eliminating carrier tethering/hotspot restrictions using e-screens-img_00000018.png

May be a bit delayed on responses, moving to another building for a bit. I'll monitor the thread remotely.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by siliconvalley785; 04-08-13 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Update
    04-08-13 09:31 AM
    More pics as proof that it works on VZ :
    Eliminating carrier tethering/hotspot restrictions using e-screens-img_00000077.png
    Eliminating carrier tethering/hotspot restrictions using e-screens-img_00000076.png

Posted via CB10
    k3cub likes this.
    04-08-13 09:35 AM
    Ok tried a few things and still not able to get it popping on AT&T I will work on it some more and report my findings. Big ups @ciprianmuresan
    04-08-13 09:39 AM
    I feel like I may be close as its been stuck on this screen looping for about 5 min. Eliminating carrier tethering/hotspot restrictions using e-screens-img_00000087.jpg
    uncle20john likes this.
    04-08-13 09:43 AM
    Thx got it

Posted via CB10....Z10
    04-08-13 09:47 AM
    I feel like I may be close as its been stuck on this screen looping for about 5 min. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000087.jpg 
Views:	2551 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	149220
    Did you do a battery pull after modifying the values?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 09:51 AM
586 123 ...