TL;DR - Abandon hope, ye who read past here.

I make no apologies for this post: It is long, because my Z10 saga has been long(er than I hoped it would), however, it also has (for now - I reserve the right to edit) a happy ending. If you are struggling with a Z10 - I sincerely hope this post might help you out. I am glad I persevered with mine:

I have owned a BlackBerry Z10 (STL100-2, UK simfree) for 2 weeks. It is a great phone and I really enjoy using it. Phone calls are clear, the display is amazing, it's compact, and as a handheld computer, it is slick, stable and possessed of a devastatingly effective operating system.

I switched to BlackBerry after 5 years and 2 handsets with Android, in search of a more stable, more businesslike device. At the time of posting, the boot time on my Z10 is 1730hrs on 2 September an uptime of over three days. My previous, Android phone would never survive a day without rebooting either of its own accord or manually after a frustrating 5 minutes or so of blank home screens and error messages. To re-iterate, my particular Z10 is a great phone.

However, it has not always been this way. I bought it sim-free for 280, with a free BB flipcase, from Expansys UK a great deal. It came with BB OS 10 v10.0.x, and when I ran the initial setup, the phone updated itself to v10.1 (via FOTA). The performance seemed OK for the first few days, and lo-and-behold, 2 days later, I was notified of another FOTA update. The phone updated itself to v10.1.0.4181, and the problems started. The battery life, which was already mediocre, became poor, dropping off to 10-20% early evening after a day of light use from about 8am. I tried various things, disabling lock screen gestures, changing the network type from 4G to 3G, running the battery flat and recharging it whilst switched off overnight, but with no improvement. Then I started getting '504' errors in the browser, where it would tell me it couldn't find a proxy server (I don't use a proxy server, neither does my provider). Only a reboot would fix this, disconnecting/reconnecting to the 3G network didn't work. I think the problem was in the network layer.

A few days later, I installed leaked OS v10.2.0.1443, by the numbers, using the autoloader. I was annoyed to be doing this, as 'grey' firmware (and its consequences) is exactly why I moved away from Android. 10.2 seemed good, but the problems started after a few days. Battery life was still garbage, and now I had problems with media cards. Unfortunately, my existing 16GB SanDisk card went South around the same time, so I'm not 100% on exactly which problem came first. Any time I put any SD card into mass storage mode, the OS told me it had been encrypted on another BB10 device. I've never owned another BB device, and never encrypted a media card by any means. Gmail sync also became super-flaky at this point. No matter how I configured it - all elements manually - calendar sync never worked I'd see lockscreen notifications (oh, those amazing lockscreen notifications...) but calendar items were missing from the hub and Calendar app.

Sick of this, and seriously regretting moving to a leaked OS, and to be honest, a little rueful of my move to BlackBerry, I used BB Link for Windows to 'Reload Device Software' using the software build online.

This took a few attempts, but finally worked properly. After restoring, I went through the setup again, and then updated the OS using the 'Software Update' function in settings. Back to v10.1.0.4181 again, but this time not via FOTA.

The phone seemed OK at first, but then I started to see the dreaded 'spontaneous reboot' problem - the phone would reboot 10+ times in the course of a day, usually triggered by an event like (argh) an incoming phone call.

As a last resort, I security-wiped the device.

Eureka! I now have the phone described in the first paragraph. A stable, reliable, slick, smartphone. Battery life is great, especially given the tiny size of the battery. 45% remaining after a day's light use say 20-40min of phone calls, 30m of 3G browsing, and maybe another 2 hrs of general app use is typical. Gmail sync also appears to work perfectly, having set it up from the nice, simple 'email, calendar and contacts' wizard under accounts.

Please discuss. From the number of threads on here (and I get how small a % of BB10 owners ever have cause to post) there are clearly some people struggling with their Z10. I also think most Z10 buyers are not looking for a 'leak'-type experience, but rather a reliable device out of the box. If someone had told me to use Link (a horrible application in itself) to wipe the device and achieve this, I'd have been all over it right away, like a cheap suit.
    09-05-13 04:34 PM
    God that's a long post. I liked the Dante reference! Umm I didn't read the whole thing lol. Waaay too long lol. But I caught the gist of it

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-05-13 04:56 PM
    God that's a long post. I liked the Dante reference! Umm I didn't read the whole thing lol. Waaay too long lol. But I caught the gist of it
    Yeah, TL;DR: 1 Utility: 0
    09-05-13 05:03 PM
    Yeah, it seems like there is a certain amount of tinkering needed.

That being said, I do enjoy installing leaked software, and playing around with it.

I enjoyed my previous phone which was "rooted" by default and it ran like so out of the box.

I'm on leak 10.2.1323 and it's been working fantastic. I have pretty decent battery life (it was awful in earlier leaks) and everything seems to work.

I'm actually really enjoying it now. I just hope it keeps going like this for a while, and I don't have a hankering to install another leaked OS for a while, and ruin the whole thing.

Posted from the Shield Helicarrier
    09-05-13 05:08 PM
    Yeah, it seems like there is a certain amount of tinkering needed.

That being said, I do enjoy installing leaked software, and playing around with it.

I enjoyed my previous phone which was "rooted" by default and it ran like so out of the box.

I'm on leak 10.2.1323 and it's been working fantastic. I have pretty decent battery life (it was awful in earlier leaks) and everything seems to work...I just hope it keeps going like this for a while, and I don't have a hankering to install another leaked OS for a while, and ruin the whole thing.
    Yeah, and increasingly, I think the fiddling is inevitable. A modern smartphone is basically a Linux-based computer which happens to have a cellphone transceiver built in. I remember trying to get earlier versions of Ubuntu Linux to work properly on my PC - what a nightmare. Unless you want the navigation hell and horribly restricted interface and config of an IOS device, this is how it will be.

Surely with the in-house hardware, BBRY could mitigate this effect?
    09-05-13 05:19 PM
    I have 3 Z10's and 4 Playbooks with over 30 backups. Never had any issues. Maybe I'm just lucky but I think Link is great, easy to use. Have also restored over 10 times. No issues there either. I do have a powerful pc which probably helps. Quad core HP from 2008 with 6GB ram and an SSD running my os.

Trusted Member
    09-05-13 06:00 PM
    I have 3 Z10's and 4 Playbooks with over 30 backups. Never had any issues. Maybe I'm just lucky but I think Link is great, easy to use. Have also restored over 10 times. No issues there either. I do have a powerful pc which probably helps. Quad core HP from 2008 with 6GB ram and an SSD running my os.
    As I say, I'm a total BBRY newbie. I came to the platform hoping it would be better than the next best (I don't include IOS, as it has such a small smartphone market share globally and is so restrictive) and have not been disappointed.

My comment on Link was maybe a cheap shot - I've used plenty of other OEM's sync apps, and they are all generally pretty bad, UI-wise. I'm running Link on a 2002 (!) Lenovo Thinkpad with a 2GHz Core2Duo and 2GB of RAM. It's certainly not a modern machine, but it's OK with WinXP on a 10K RPM disk, and it's faster than my broadband (8Mbit over copper) when using Linux. I'd drop Windows in a heartbeat if it wasn't for sync apps.
    09-05-13 06:19 PM
    I guess that laptop is from year 2006, not 2002.
    Too powerful for that age

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 06:27 PM
    I guess that laptop is from year 2006, not 2002.
    Too powerful for that age
    You are dead right - just checked
    09-05-13 06:34 PM
    It's seems my original Dr. StrangeHeins was deleted. I guess the mods don't get satire.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 01:34 PM