The phone app was also written in air.
    04-19-13 09:46 PM
    Point of all of this is, blackberry: Take responsibility and fix your device as soon as possible. People like me have spent hundreds on your product and we deserve better. Peace.
    Well said
    04-19-13 09:47 PM
    Open the settings, it was written in air and looks very familiar. Open the hub, looks identical to the pb messages app, even down to the color schemes. Open the calculator, other than the missing % key, looks pretty familiar. Go to the apps pages, don't see anything like the pb?
    I'm sure they're visually familiar, yes. But I'm also pretty much certain most of that, if not all of it, had to be rewritten, especially since only the Settings app remains in Adobe AIR, while practically everything on the PlayBook is in AIR. Phone app might be AIR as well (though gestures seem to work in it, it's just very slow), but there was no phone app on the PlayBook in the first place.
    04-19-13 09:49 PM
    Have mine since Feb 17th with no issues! Never owned an I phone. Loved the I pod but once I woke up to the Apple I tunes scam I bailed on all things apple.

Posted via CB10
    Davidro1 and der_mit like this.
    04-19-13 09:49 PM
    Point of all of this is, blackberry: Take responsibility and fix your device as soon as possible. People like me have spent hundreds on your product and we deserve better. Peace.
    I have felt that RIM have actually resolved a lot off niggles and issues in a short space of time. They take a lot on board and listen to the communities.

I have never encountered random rebooting issues. The only real issue I have is every so often the device has difficulty shutting the wifi connection down if I drive away from my house. It's happened twice and a simple reboot fixed it. But never had a random reboot and I have had this phone since pretty much UK launch, I was a few days off it.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 09:55 PM
    Never had a issue here

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 09:55 PM
    I'm sure they're visually familiar, yes. But I'm also pretty much certain most of that, if not all of it, had to be rewritten, especially since only the Settings app remains in Adobe AIR, while practically everything on the PlayBook is in AIR. Phone app might be AIR as well (though gestures seem to work in it, it's just very slow), but there was no phone app on the PlayBook in the first place.
    So besides the physical similarities and visual similarities, and that the both use the same basic os, they are quiet different

All 3 playbooks I personally own are more stable though.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-19-13 09:56 PM
    You're taking your own experiences out of context. Not everyone has issues with their z10s. Mine has not restarted once. As for that black screen I think its the same thing I encountered the phone gets stuck in lock. I just press the power button and choose lock from the options and then I just unlocked my phone like usual and it works fine.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 10:03 PM
    So besides the physical similarities and visual similarities, and that the both use the same basic os, they are quiet different

All 3 playbooks I personally own are more stable though.
    The same "basic OS" would be a lot more meaningful if this weren't a microkernel, but because it's a microkernel, that "basic OS" only makes up a tiny portion of everything. All the drivers, core components, memory management, and so on are all separate, and likely had to be modified for the Z10's hardware as well (or optimized from lessons learned on the PlayBook).

My PlayBook has probably been slightly more stable as well however, but a hell of a lot more sluggish. And when something does go wrong, it doesn't take my Z10 4 minutes to reboot
    04-19-13 10:04 PM
    I disagree. There's nothing really "new" about the smartphone industry. They added software features, but the technology has been around forever now. Elementary issues that are known to the Z10 now simply should not happen. It's like purchasing a TV and automatically turns off, nobody cares that it is the first Toshiba GK3948, don't sell me a TV with issues PERIOD.
    There's nothing "new" about the car industry either and cars get recalled all the time for defects. Your argument doesn't hold water.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 10:16 PM
    Is comparing the PlayBook to the Z10 like comparing iPod to the iPhone?

Even though they are based on the same code, I'm pretty sure there are much more features and code on the phone version to worry about.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 10:17 PM
    First of kanye likes blackberrys.Secondly at least be original with a user name jeez.

You come looking for help??.But go on some useless ramble.Do you want help?? This aint the way to go about it.Many dont have these issues you talk of.Im from UK we have first batch of Z10s mines been working fine ever since I turned it on feb 2nd.

Many have transfered from your iphone/android and are very happy with the switch and have no issues.If you are having issues with your phone look aroudn the forum ask for help attention seeking titles will get you answered and pretty much flamed.Im just cool right now so i'll keep it calm this time.

If no one has answers then clearer something is wrong with your handset on an OS level might need upgrading or just in general defect model take your complaint to the shop there's no answers here.Many have not had problems and by looks of post all complaints coming from america side.I dont know what your carriers do to phones with their ''testing'' over there blocking settings,bloatware and such but its messed up alot of Z10s for some of you.I suggest you look for some information if nothing found take your complaint to phone shop and your networks.

Im out.
    Attacking his username huh? real smooth....
    Donvald likes this.
    04-19-13 10:20 PM
    my Z10 works fine....canadian carrier since release day....
    04-19-13 10:20 PM
    Is comparing the PlayBook to the Z10 like comparing iPod to the iPhone?

Even though they are based on the same code, I'm pretty sure there are much more features and code on the phone version to worry about.

Posted via CB10
    I'd say it's an even bigger difference than that. The iPhone effectively builds upon the code of the iPod Touch (or vice versa, the iPod Touch uses dumbed-down iPhone software, whichever way you want to look at it), while the Z10 took the PlayBook's microkernel, some visual cues, and threw everything else out the window. Might be a little oversimplified, but that's the best I can put it.
    04-19-13 10:21 PM
    The same "basic OS" would be a lot more meaningful if this weren't a microkernel, but because it's a microkernel, that "basic OS" only makes up a tiny portion of everything. All the drivers, core components, memory management, and so on are all separate, and likely had to be modified for the Z10's hardware as well (or optimized from lessons learned on the PlayBook).

My PlayBook has probably been slightly more stable as well however, but a hell of a lot more sluggish. And when something does go wrong, it doesn't take my Z10 4 minutes to reboot
    It's not a real thread until th kernel makes an appearance.

Seriously though, hold your z against your pb and see if you can spot the differences
    04-19-13 10:22 PM
    Seriously though, hold your z against your pb and see if you can spot the differences
    I know, the hardware design is similar, granted. But the majority of the issues I'm hearing are software-based, so personally I'm not too concerned about the hardware. In fact, I love the hardware.
    04-19-13 10:23 PM
    There's nothing "new" about the car industry either and cars get recalled all the time for defects. Your argument doesn't hold water.

Posted via CB10
    What?? Cars get recalled all the time.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-19-13 10:24 PM
    It makes no one feel better by telling me that it's ok to have issues because it's a first generation device and comparing it to the original iPhone. First of all, the iPhone was the first of its kind, it had no real competition and even with its issues, it was better better than everything else out there.

Secondly, it's 2013, and BlackBerry should know better than to release something that would (for thousands of customers) restart for no reason when there are countless numbers of people relying on the device to do business.

Yes it's ok if you have a first generation revolutionary device with problems, but IT IS NOT OKAY 6 years after similar level smartphones have been out.

I realize this is a BB fan site and I would love for my (second) Z10 to work flawlessly too, but it is simply not the case. Stop making excuses for a multi-billion dollar company and instead help those with problems push them to find out solutions or if not possible, then return people's money with ease.

I saved up $650 over months and I will not be happy with BS like random black screens or reboots.
    I am not making excuses for BB and I own no stock in the company.
    I do, however, work with software for a living and sorry but that is how it is. New releases = BUGS. Period and not avoidable.
    As for iPhone being released with no bugs, BS! iPhone has had it's share of bugs and fixes.
    Where do you get that it did not?
    If you are going to make a statement, be able to back it up. I will back up my statement if you like. What bug would you like me to list first? The iOS 6.1.2 one? I can go on if you want.
    It's not meant to justify the issues, it is merely a fact being stated.
    04-19-13 10:25 PM
    I know, the hardware design is similar, granted. But the majority of the issues I'm hearing are software-based, so personally I'm not too concerned about the hardware. In fact, I love the hardware.
    Similar or identical?
    04-19-13 10:25 PM
    I own an iPhone 5 and it's got major wifi connectivity problems, apps and web browser freeze all the time. I'm sick and tired of iOS and making the switch to Blackberry in a few weeks. I live in Canada and know quite a fe people who own the Z10. None have rebooting issues Still don't know if I will go for the Z or the Q yet...
    bobshine and Vorkosigan like this.
    04-19-13 10:26 PM
    Have your pb in landscape and a your z in portrait on top

Then hold them together and check out the profile
    Thought we are talking about the OS not the hardware

Posted using CB10 via BB10 on a BB Z10
    04-19-13 10:27 PM
    Umm. Mine has been issue free since I got it. Hmm...

Posted via CB10
    Why does that mattter? It's pretty well known that many are having reboot issues. No matter how many "mine has been issue free" posts there are, the fact will not change that the phone has a defect that is affecting many.
    curvezzz and JeepBB like this.
    04-19-13 10:27 PM
    It makes no one feel better by telling me that it's ok to have issues because it's a first generation device and comparing it to the original iPhone. First of all, the iPhone was the first of its kind, it had no real competition and even with its issues, it was better better than everything else out there.

Secondly, it's 2013, and BlackBerry should know better than to release something that would (for thousands of customers) restart for no reason when there are countless numbers of people relying on the device to do business.

Yes it's ok if you have a first generation revolutionary device with problems, but IT IS NOT OKAY 6 years after similar level smartphones have been out.

I realize this is a BB fan site and I would love for my (second) Z10 to work flawlessly too, but it is simply not the case. Stop making excuses for a multi-billion dollar company and instead help those with problems push them to find out solutions or if not possible, then return people's money with ease.

I saved up $650 over months and I will not be happy with BS like random black screens or reboots.
    No ****? Then how come it's ok for Apple to make a what ever generation the iPhone 5 is with battery life issues? How come u all little bitches bash BlackBerry and don't complain about iPhone or Samsung devices? Ffs why the hell don't you return it if you don't like it

Posted with mah Z10!
    04-19-13 10:28 PM
    Similar or identical?
    I wouldn't say identical, but then again I'm a man of details - stuff like the tapered edges, dimpled rear and different camera stand out to me. I can see why someone might think they look virtually the same though, and I think that was done on purpose. Seen the Samsung lineup lately? Everything looks exactly the same. In a similar fashion, BlackBerry is probably trying to re-establish a brand identity. Well, either that or their design department is being lazy... but I'm giving them the benefit of doubt
    04-19-13 10:30 PM
    Thought we are talking about the OS not the hardware

Posted using CB10 via BB10 on a BB Z10
    Guess you didnt get to my post about the software yet
    04-19-13 10:30 PM
395 12345 ...