Hi guys,
    This may have already been asked, but does the new Z10 have BIS (blackberry internet service) and is it unlimited? I currently use this feature on my 9780 when connected to my playbook for surfing/email when out and about. The beauty of this being free and unlimited internet use. I think I read somewhere that the Z10 does not have this??? Looking forward to the new phone being released in Australia (God knows when as my carrier, Vodafone, cannot tell me).
    Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    Wayne
    03-04-13 04:03 AM
    Z10 works over a standard data plan, so no need for BIS plans

Posted via CB10
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    03-04-13 04:08 AM
    Thanks for your speedy reply but here in oz most data plans are only 1.5-2gb. Why risk going over that and paying extra when the carriers give unlimited use thru BIS? Does this make sense?
    03-04-13 04:15 AM
    It makes sense but the z10 handset doesn't support BIS.
    I only assume the carriers had some say in this...

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 04:23 AM
    Those tight bastards!!!!
    Thanks again for your help Bert

But isn't that what the blackberry symbol is at the top right of screen?
    03-04-13 04:31 AM
    Yeah, not sure about that to be honest... it was one of the first things I noticed when I booted mine up for grabs first time! All I know is, no BIS support on the Z10

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 04:40 AM
    The Z10 is compatible with BIS but also can be used with a regular data plan. So for example if you upgrade from a android phone you can use your old data plan with it its not necessary to switch to a BIS plan. Unless like me in Canada with Bell you must have a BIS plan.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4067838) and atlac like this.
    03-04-13 04:43 AM
    Android??? F*** that!! I'm blackberry thru and thru!!!
    But thanks for your replies, Sweet, that's what I wanted to hear!
    03-04-13 04:51 AM
    BIS as we have come to know it is definitely not there anymore. I am on Telstra in Australia, and got my Z10 about a week after it was released in the UK, and no one I have talked to at Telstra had any idea what it was, and I actually had to argue with a rep that yes, I did have a BlackBerry that needed a micro SIM.

Regardless, I left my BIS data plan active just to see if I could still use it, disabled 4G just in case, but still no luck, I was still charged for data usage. The BlackBerry logo is still there, and it is still BIS, but it no longer means unlimited email/web browsing even on a BIS plan. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a data connection strictly for BBM. It's possible that BBM data is still unlimited, but I doubt that as well. Also, since the email accounts are set up on the phone itself, it no longer has the BIS push email, but relies on the mail servers themselves for push.

Another thing to note is BIS was quite visible. Especially from Australia, if I looked up my IP, it was always some North American IP, but if I dropped onto 2G or tethered to my computer, it was an Australia IP, so there was some sort of bouncing going on. This has never happened on my Z10, it's always on an Australian IP range.

BIS is one thing I really do miss, especially unlimited data for my PlayBook, and I wish I didn't have to lose it. That being said, I had mine cancelled last week, as it obviously wasn't doing anything for me anymore, so no use paying extra for it. I still have a BlackBerry symbol, so it obviously isn't related as it used to be.

I hope that clears something up.
    03-04-13 04:53 AM
    To clear things up. In the past you had to have a BIS data plan to use a blackberry phone (BBM Facebook email etc) now with the new BB 10 phones that is not necessary. You can use a regular data plan its the carriers that decide if they want to offer you BIS plans or not. Most carriers will choose to offer non BIS plans as they make more money that way.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 05:04 AM
    Thanks. Xiaclo, I am on Vodafone in Oz, but was speaking to a Telstra rep today who is also dying to get his hands on the Z10 and he said that their plans had unlimited BIS as well. Whether or not it is with included with the new Z10 is yet to be seen, time will tell I guess but disappointing if it is lost. As you say hopefully this will be rectified asap. I am extremely jealous of you having one already, my plan with Vodafone expires next month so hopefully they will have it in stock by then. A mate of mine told me today that Harvey Norman are taking pre-orders so will have to check it out. Also the bloke at Telstra said that problems with connectivity may occur with overseas models but obviously you have not had any problems? I noticed that topbuy.com.au are selling for $689 + delivery but I think that it is imported?
    03-04-13 05:08 AM
    Thanks skibnik, will wait and see what Vodafone/Telstra can offer when they are finally released, hopefully sooner rather than later but with Vodafone losing market share at a rapid rate maybe they will offer it to help keep existing customers happy?
    03-04-13 05:10 AM
    By the way guys are you happy with the new phone?
    03-04-13 05:13 AM
    Voda isn't getting the Z10 in Australia.
    03-04-13 05:18 AM
    How do you know this? I have been asking them a few times now and while they are unsure of when they definitely didn't say they weren't. If thats the case then Telstra here I come
    03-04-13 05:22 AM
    On the whole, yes, a few niggles, used to older BBOSs, but over coming updates and getting used to it, it will get easier and better!

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 05:36 AM
    http://www.zdnet.com/au/vodafone-no-...10-7000010597/

I recently switched from a Voda plan to Telstra PrePaid and haven't looked back. Far better experience!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-04-13 05:41 AM
    Thanks for the info mjdimer, I have been with vodafone since '95 and have been pretty happy with them, especially on price. So does telstra give you unlimited BIS? How is your coverage with them? Where are you located (roughly)? I am in Sydney western suburbs.
    03-04-13 06:00 AM
    Sorry but am unclear, does it mean bbm will work on normal 3G or wifi ?

If so does mean old bb phones bbm will work too on wifi ?
    03-04-13 07:39 AM
    Yes, yes and yes it always did*.

*At least in the UK, countries may have restrictions they set.
    03-04-13 07:54 AM
    nooo, in India we have to subscribe for bbm services cannot use on normal internet or wifi for the earlier BB's
    03-04-13 09:20 AM
    I use an unlimited BlackBerry plan in Canada. Works just fine with the Z10. My carrier refuses to let me use LTE though just because they can. Either way, I get unlimited data and 16Mbits down so I can't complain.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 10:52 AM
    so in a way they are doing it so that you can loose you unlimited plan?
    03-04-13 11:20 AM
    I use an unlimited BlackBerry plan in Canada. Works just fine with the Z10. My carrier refuses to let me use LTE though just because they can. Either way, I get unlimited data and 16Mbits down so I can't complain.

Posted via CB10
    Are you on Rogers?
    03-04-13 11:32 AM
    Thanks. Xiaclo, I am on Vodafone in Oz, but was speaking to a Telstra rep today who is also dying to get his hands on the Z10 and he said that their plans had unlimited BIS as well. Whether or not it is with included with the new Z10 is yet to be seen, time will tell I guess but disappointing if it is lost. As you say hopefully this will be rectified asap. I am extremely jealous of you having one already, my plan with Vodafone expires next month so hopefully they will have it in stock by then. A mate of mine told me today that Harvey Norman are taking pre-orders so will have to check it out. Also the bloke at Telstra said that problems with connectivity may occur with overseas models but obviously you have not had any problems? I noticed that topbuy.com.au are selling for $689 + delivery but I think that it is imported?
    I was very careful to get a model that had the Oz LTE bands. If you are ordering one from overseas, any of the UK models will do, but the Canada/US models will have the wrong LTE bands, so you won't get 4G if you're with Telstra or Optus. 3G will still work though. I ended up paying about $850 for mine, so it was definitely a premium to have it early, but I absolutely love it. The browser in particular is amazingly fast, even with 4G disabled.

I wouldn't be hopeful for the Z10 on Voda though, they have already made a statement they weren't going to launch with Telstra/Optus, although unlocked would work. Vodafone no-go on BlackBerry 10 | ZDNet

Overall, I love my Z10, although the battery life tends to be a bit of an issue, I can kill 30% during my morning commute on the bus if I'm browsing and such. If you do use it heavily like I do, I recommend a second battery, and the inline charger is really nice. The latest update is supposed to fix bedside mode issues as well as battery life, so I'm hoping when I finally get that installed, it'll help out. The flow experience does take some getting used to, but after a week or so, get stuff done faster than my 9900, which was fairly impressive. I find the predictive text of the keyboard to be more of a gimmick than helpful, although it's nice to have for one-handed typing or complicated words, but most of the time, two handed typing is just faster. That being said, the default auto-correct that ends up on the space bar is quite accurate, and after using it for a while and learning to trust it, it works quite well, certainly better than any Android or iOS keyboard I've tried. Again, I can now type faster on my Z10 than my 9900, which is quite a feat, even if it does mean that I have to look at the keyboard now. I have a few minor software gripes, like multiple-select of messages is needlessly hard at the moment, and the ability for developers to background apps. Also, a few key apps I would use like Skype and Kindle are still missing.

As much as I love to point out flaws though, they are few and far between. The OS is amazingly polished, and the built-in apps are great. I find myself bragging about simple things like how easy it is to set the timer, or the unit convertor in the calculator (same as the PlayBook calculator). The GPS is also quite nice. After the iOS5 map fiasco, I was worried about the Z10 using Tom Tom, but for me it's been amazing. The GPS locks within a few seconds, the route planning is fast, and even rerouting in turn-by-turn after you take a wrong turn happens within about 5 seconds. Remember is way better than notes + todo ever was, the photo editing app is a nice touch, I don't like filters, but I have used the cropping features a few times.

There is way too many features to list, but after using it for about 3 weeks now, I can't see myself using any other phone. The only word I can use to describe it is "polished". The amount of detail put into the default apps, and the cascades framework is amazing. It's nice to see apps being able to integrate so closely to the OS, with notifications in the hub (Twitter, LinkedIn), extra tabs in the file manager (Box, DropBox), hijacking the volume control overlay (several music apps). I'm really excited to see how fast this platform develops.

Anyway, I think that's enough ranting out of me. Honestly, if you have any doubts about getting a Z10, don't. This phone can't be shown to you, you have to get rid of your old phone and force yourself to use it for a week. I try showing it to people, but they just don't get my enthusiasm about it, I think you have to use it to get it. Some things take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it's so natural.
    03-04-13 12:51 PM
27 12