I love the new BB10 front, but the back of the device scares me. I feel everything about this phone has to be beautiful and down to they key. But the back on the L-Series looks very bland and doesn't have that blackberry-esque look. It has a playbook look but thats kind of old. Does anyone know whether this is not the final build? http://n4bb.com/wp-content/uploads/2...l-series-1.jpg

What do you guys think?
    11-20-12 11:08 AM
    I don't really know what you mean by either 'doesn't have that blackberry look' or that the back of the playbook is 'old'.

The back of the L-series is almost certainly going to be flat, because that makes it the thinnest. There just isn't a whole lot you can do with that other than make it feel good to hold, which I think the PB material does do. Compare it to the back of the iPhone 5. There just isn't much you can do with a flat surface.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-20-12 11:16 AM
    I agree. When the Playbook first came out, I thought the back looked amazing. Later on, slowly, it felt outdated and there should be a better design. Unless the entire L-series model that we've seen is scrapped for new hardware, I don't believe it'll change.
    mrmartis likes this.
    11-20-12 11:35 AM
    Not clear on why this is an issue. Are we saying it should have a different texture or material? Personally, I think it has a nice, clean look.
    meganVee likes this.
    11-20-12 11:49 AM
    I don't think this will be the final outer shell though. RIM still has time to change the entire body, or they may have changed it already but are not disclosing it. This L series device is prototype anyways. The current design is stylish and underrated; something close to RIM philosophy.
    mrmartis likes this.
    11-20-12 11:55 AM
    its fine for my taste....they could have put the camera somewhere else to make it less like an iphone though
    anon(3310921), BB12MX and mrmartis like this.
    11-20-12 11:57 AM
    Don't be surprised by a surprise (or two, or three) on January 30th. I think it's highly unlikely that RIM is allowing so many "final" hardware designs to be out in the wild - including the CEO flashing it at a Lakers game. This, the L-Series we've seen so much of, is an "evaluation unit". Look around the camera on the back; it looks unfinished. Look at the border between the top of the glass and the "case" on the front, it looks unfinished. Just like we've seen they can pop a case on the internals for the Dev B, don't be shocked that what you're seeing over and over and over again these past few weeks is also just a case.

Apple sent out private investigators, police forces, and an army of lawyers when the actual, real, unreleased iPhone 4 went missing in a bar. Although I don't think RIM would go that far, I also don't think they're freely handing out and displaying final hardware either with a big announcement of a January 30 reveal around the corner. It makes no sense, or at least very little sense.
    meganVee likes this.
    11-20-12 12:00 PM
    How can a flat black rectangle look 'dated' ? I seriously can't understand that. Here's a couple of other backs of recent high-profile phones: A comparison of iPhone 5, Note 2, Galaxy 3 and Lumia 920 and the Nexus 4. What are these people doing that is so much better, or less 'dated' ? They are flat surfaces that are the same colour as the phone. They have a camera sticking out. That's it. That's all there is to them.

Also, is it worth mentioning that if the back isn't to your taste you will definitely be able to get a case or an alternative battery door ?

Because y'know... you will.
    legin111, gokulesh and meganVee like this.
    11-20-12 12:25 PM
    If you think the back looks bland - put a case on it.

Like others here, I don't understand the issue with the back either. It's the "back". Big deal. There is no phone out there that stands out to me just because of its awesome back.
    Masahiro likes this.
    11-20-12 02:40 PM
    I'm really hoping this evaluation unit isn't the exact same thing as the final version. And I'm holding onto that hope because Thorsten Heins wouldn't have been using it at a Lakers game if it wasn't
    Barljo likes this.
    11-20-12 05:25 PM
    If you think the back looks bland - put a case on it.

Like others here, I don't understand the issue with the back either. It's the "back". Big deal. There is no phone out there that stands out to me just because of its awesome back.
    Bold 9000.
    11-20-12 06:30 PM
    I think it looks fine. People are going to find every little thing to nit pick about. We should be thankful we are getting an awesome phone that will do everything we want it to do and out perform most, if not all phones on the market today, and seriously we are going to gripe about the way the back of the phone looks? Please
    Last edited by DJM626; 12-08-12 at 09:55 PM.
    gokulesh and meganVee like this.
    11-21-12 08:37 AM
    Bold 9000.
    Agreed. The faux leather was superb and is constantly missed.
    11-21-12 10:34 AM
    I love the playbook back look, and the texture too
    11-21-12 10:51 AM
    Hey,

I'm not saying this phone's OS won't be awesome. I'm not saying the look isn't great, all I am saying is in order for RIM to succeed BB10 has to hit four pillars: Hardware, Software, App Ecosystem, and Marketing. So far we know software is out of this world, App ecosystem with their targeted approach is not bad, pretty amazing for a first gen OS. Marketing is still yet to be determined because they haven't fully started marketing it. Although, hardware in terms of specs is going to be amazing, truly amazing. The other aspect of hardware is design and how revolutionary and appealing it is. The Bold 9900 is one of the nicest designed phones on the market, its got a very elegant and sophisticated look from the front to the back. For all the people who say the back isn't important, I don't believe thats true. Everything needs to be amazing, and the reason why is RIM has to make up for the lack on other things they can't control like app ecosystem by things they can control.

The back is still part of the experience of the phone, Google Image Result for http://wondrouspics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/iPhone-5-vs-Galaxy-S3-back.jpg check the S3 and iPhone 5 look great front and back. (More the s3 than iPhone).

The back is part of the marketing, when I am sitting in a food court or at the library and have my phone on the table face down, when people walk by, it should capture their eye and they should be amazed. This happens to me and a lot of people with the S3 and the iPhone in the library, I took note one day. But my dev alpha back didn't muster the same vow factor, which is the same back as the leaked pics of the L-series.

Granted it is very nice, I am not gonna lie, I like it a lot but I am a fanboy and from an unbias approach and speaking to various people, I hope this isn't the final device. And I hope the NBA theory that Heinz wouldn't bring the BB10 device in public to be true. I would love to see the same something a little more elegant. But like I said id buy it regardless, this is just for the masses who we wont to jump back to blackberry. By your posts, I know some feel the same.
    11-21-12 11:09 AM
    You are right about the back being part of the experience of the phone, but if you ignore the evaluation stickers just think how the L-series will look, you have the camera being quite discreetly placed in the corner without the lump you get on some phones and then the rest of it is an understated black except for that distinctive bb logo that will be easily recognisable from a distance rather than any needless gaudiness.
    crackcookie likes this.
    11-21-12 02:01 PM
    I love the new BB10 front, but the back of the device scares me. I feel everything about this phone has to be beautiful and down to they key. But the back on the L-Series looks very bland and doesn't have that blackberry-esque look. It has a playbook look but thats kind of old. Does anyone know whether this is not the final build? http://n4bb.com/wp-content/uploads/2...l-series-1.jpg

What do you guys think?
    People like you are annoying, whenever there is no news, you make up bad news.

I remember last year, when the Bold was coming out, people complained about the back not looking good enough or something lame like that, it had kevlar patters or something lamer. 1. Who really looks at the back of their phone, the design means almost nothing except something to get scratched up or covered by a case. 2. It isn't a functionality problem, unlike the iphone which actually slips out of your hand, the BB has always been made as a practical phone. Unless the back of the phone cuts into you, or something annoying, please refrain from making a topic to complain about nothing, instead, just go on facebok and complain about the cold weather like everyone else does.
    DJM626 likes this.
    11-22-12 04:21 AM

What do you guys think?
    I am sorry for the lame question,but what model is the second unit with the keyboard?Looks like bold 9900...or...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-22-12 04:28 AM
    I am sorry for the lame question,but what model is the second unit with the keyboard?Looks like bold 9900...or...

Bold 9700, I'd say.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    11-22-12 04:45 AM
    Bold 9700, I'd say.

I was hopping it might be a keyboard bb10 unit....I really want something like this....has anyone real pic with that kind of bb10 phone?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-22-12 05:31 AM
    People like you are annoying, whenever there is no news, you make up bad news.

I remember last year, when the Bold was coming out, people complained about the back not looking good enough or something lame like that, it had kevlar patters or something lamer. 1. Who really looks at the back of their phone, the design means almost nothing except something to get scratched up or covered by a case. 2. It isn't a functionality problem, unlike the iphone which actually slips out of your hand, the BB has always been made as a practical phone. Unless the back of the phone cuts into you, or something annoying, please refrain from making a topic to complain about nothing, instead, just go on facebok and complain about the cold weather like everyone else does.
    Hey I am sorry to offend you, but you know what constructive criticism is good for the company well before the launch. I criticized the icons as being ugly and so did many of us, and RIM went and changed it. Sometimes, a company is so focused on one thing that its not their fault if they miss something or make a mistake (im not saying that RIM made a mistake). Its good for us on crackberry and similar forums to speak openly about things we think are potentially concerning. If we bring this to other peoples attention and many people agree, then RIM who looks over these forums will wonder whether its right or should be changed. If my opinion doesn't represent the majority, then its fine I will deal with my issue and learn to overcome it. But, being silent does no one any good. And all I am trying to do is help the company and my favorite brand. Its not complaining when you start a forum and people give their opinion that is the point of these forums. If you feel so strongly against complaints don't read the comment.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. ~ Voltaire
    11-22-12 04:04 PM
    I look at it this way- If someone is going to gripe and complain about every little thing right down to the very last detail, there would be NO phones being built, and we would be using paper cups and strings as means of communication. Can't please all of the people all of the time. There is only so much you can do with a black cover on a phone. I would complain over functionality and other things, but the back of a phone cover is just that, a phone cover. Unless it somehow affects the functionality of the phone, I am not going to worry about it
    11-22-12 04:49 PM
    Hey I am sorry to offend you, but you know what constructive criticism is good for the company well before the launch. I criticized the icons as being ugly and so did many of us, and RIM went and changed it. Sometimes, a company is so focused on one thing that its not their fault if they miss something or make a mistake (im not saying that RIM made a mistake). Its good for us on crackberry and similar forums to speak openly about things we think are potentially concerning. If we bring this to other peoples attention and many people agree, then RIM who looks over these forums will wonder whether its right or should be changed. If my opinion doesn't represent the majority, then its fine I will deal with my issue and learn to overcome it.
    The arrogance of the idea that they changed the icons in response to a few people disliking the previous ones is just silly, it is the kind of thing that was always going to get tweaked during the development process for the simple reason that it is readily changed without any significant knock-on effect on overall stability.

As far as the back of the device, it seems to me that they have got a great balance of form and function, there is the comfortable grip to it, the nice and distinctive logo and the lack of materials that would readily scratch, crack or break and I am glad that it is something that won't be changed prior to launch.
    meganVee likes this.
    11-23-12 06:15 AM
    The device is not sexy at the moment.
    11-26-12 06:05 AM
    While I don't find it ugly, by any means, something needs to be done to "break" the long stretch of blandness which is obviously dominating the rear because the BB logo is not enough. A simple aluminum strip (like the 9900 rear) would go a long way. I'm still not convinced the rear of the devices we've been seeing is final. The material might be, but I'm hoping there's that little touch that makes it look great.
    mithrazor likes this.
    11-26-12 12:45 PM
46 12