I have just upgraded from a 9320 to a Z10 and to be honest using the keyboard is driving me insane. What with constantly hitting the wrong letter and then accidentally hitting send instead of the delete key when using BBM when trying to spell the word I actually want is no fun!!

The swipe to spell check is also annoying me ( can it be switched off )?

Swiping up to close an app is annoying as I keep swiping and often absolutely nothing happens.

My friends are thinking I have suddenly gone dyslexic. Is there a cure or should I send it back ?
    01-20-14 06:40 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

I suggest updating to the latest OS available (10.2 using Sachesi or if you're bold, 10.2.1 using leaks) and getting used to it!

Pretty much everybody has a rough time when they go touchscreen for the first time, but give it a week.

You'll be typing like a pro soon enough.

PS: I used to have a 9780. I don't look back.
    01-20-14 06:44 PM
    Once you get used to it, and more importantly the phone learns your style of typing you'll find you can type gibberish, yet the keyboard will turn it into wonderful, readable English.

Z10 In action here!
    01-20-14 06:53 PM
    You need a few weeks for sure. You will most likely have the opposite view then. Play with keyboard input settings. Download a typing game. I went through the exact same thing and now I can't turn back.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 06:56 PM
    I went from 9900 to z10 and within 4 days I was faster on my Z. Practice and patience and heat-mapping.

Tapped out on Halle (Black)Berry aka Z10STL100-3 running 10.2.0.1803
    xBURK likes this.
    01-20-14 07:11 PM
    Yup. The phone automatically adjusts to your typing. It just takes a few

Posted via CB from my LE
    xBURK likes this.
    01-20-14 07:11 PM
    I have just upgraded from a 9320 to a Z10 and to be honest using the keyboard is driving me insane. What with constantly hitting the wrong letter and then accidentally hitting send instead of the delete key when using BBM when trying to spell the word I actually want is no fun!!

The swipe to spell check is also annoying me ( can it be switched off )?

Swiping up to close an app is annoying as I keep swiping and often absolutely nothing happens.

My friends are thinking I have suddenly gone dyslexic. Is there a cure or should I send it back ?
    Once you get used to it it's the best touch screen experience out there. Maybe a q10 is the better option for you with physical keys. The swiping is a completely new concept so it will take some getting used to

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    01-20-14 09:01 PM
    This is my first touch screen since the storm I was a qwerty keyboard guy for a while , but since getting this Z10 I haven't looked back, it took me a few weeks to really get the hang of this touch keyboard but I'm really liking it more and more as time goes on.

My amazing BB Z10 - OS 1925
    01-20-14 09:10 PM
    I don't really have trouble with typing. But what really drives me nuts is when I spell something right and it gets changed to a different word x_x
    01-20-14 09:16 PM
    That's why I don't get touchscreens except the playbook lol

Q10 with 10.2.1.1925 Leak Installed
    01-20-14 09:18 PM
    And you didn't notice it!

Proudly posted by an Essex Lad with Z10
    01-20-14 09:18 PM
    I don't really have trouble with typing. But what really drives me nuts is when I spell something right and it gets changed to a different word x_x
    Exactly what you typed should be in white over the top of the space bar, while the auto corrected word should be in green over the middle of the space bar. Remember this and flick the word you want instead of hitting space every time and you'll be fine once you get used to it. It's new, it's different, it works once you allow yourself to learn it.

Posted via CB10
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    01-20-14 09:25 PM
    if u press the space bar after u had already spelled the correct word, if u press the backspace/delete twice it will restore your correctly spelled word for you, just a FYI
    p1800nut likes this.
    01-20-14 09:45 PM
    Exactly what you typed should be in white over the top of the space bar, while the auto corrected word should be in green over the middle of the space bar. Remember this and flick the word you want instead of hitting space every time and you'll be fine once you get used to it. It's new, it's different, it works once you allow yourself to learn it.

Posted via CB10
    Except if you type a word correctly, there won't be anything above the space bar to flick in
    01-20-14 09:46 PM
    Bruce,
    I've had my Z10 for nearly a month, and I still feel your pain; I picked up a Q10 the other day in the T-Mobile store, and I must say that I was tempted. So far, I don't find the keyboard dramatically better than the Lumia 521 I came from, though I do find it significantly better than than the Galaxy Nexus I had before that. And I completely agree with you that the "send" key is terribly placed--I'm continually hitting it by mistake and sending out disjointed texts. (But then again, I do have very large hands...and fat thumbs!)
    01-20-14 11:39 PM
    Exactly!

I used the Z10 for 2 months, I developed RSI constantly correcting my typing. Q10 solved all of that!
    01-21-14 04:44 AM
    Thumbs on the Z10 work, but you are on the hairy edge of them not working. However the z10 works so well for me that just playing with one at a phone kiosk was enough for me to stop waiting for the q10 and get the z10.

If I were to redesign the z10 keyboard, I would make the sense area for the return and space bar smaller. I would swap the numbers shift and the backspace key.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 04:45 AM
    Just type and don't worry about the gibberish. Once you have got that, typing is a breeze :-)

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 05:36 AM
    When I started I was rubbish with the BB10 keyboard. I am great now. The best bit of advice I got was "slow down and concentrate on taking advantage of the upward swipe words" also "Use left swipe delete if you get words wrong". I found I got faster that way.

Settings I recommend;
    - Switch predictions ON and select "In-Letter".
    - Switch OFF "Auto Correct With Space Bar".
    - Switch ON "Learn New Words".
    - Switch ON all spell checks.
    - Switch OFF all feedback, including turning feedback sound down to zero.

Also notice that if you are typing a long word, it is often auto-suggested, but if it isn't, you can swipe up a shorter one and then backdelete key gives you some more auto-suggested options.

Example;

I'm typing "Simplicity".
    Type "S"
    Type "i"
    Type "m"
    Swipe up "Simple" (this word auto-suggests because I type it frequently).
    Hit the backdelete key.
    Swipe up "Simplicity".
    ...of course what is auto-suggested will depend on what your BB10 has learned that you frequently type, so the speed goes up and the amount of key-presses is reduced all the while. At first I found it hard to resist the tempation to just hammer away on the keys, now I have learned the better way.

Have Fun
    p1800nut likes this.
    01-21-14 06:08 AM
    I used a 9300 and 9900 for about a year, and switching to the Z10 virtual keyboard was definitely a bit of an adjustment.

After getting used to it about a month later, it became the best keyboard ever. I don't even miss the physical keyboard anymore. I actually feel like I even type faster on this thing now.

It's really just a matter of adjustment.

BlackBerry Z10 / 10.2.0.1791
    01-21-14 07:21 AM
    Z10 keyboard is brilliant

I type things like "haueu how aoyu" and z10 makes it look like "hey how are you"

xD
    01-21-14 08:40 AM
    Just add my own voice. I was adamantly against touchscreens. I hated them and they hated me. But after persevering with the z10 I just love the typing. Yes, occasionally it gets it wrong or predicts something weird but I see it as my phone's personality and it is a regular in-joke. I have grown fond enough of the z10 to accept it's few foibles. Best phone I've had or even used.

Z10 | STL100-2 | 10.2.1.1925
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    01-21-14 08:44 AM
    It took me a few weks and I got much better. Now 8-9 months in I like still love the keyboard. For some reason I still can't seem to hit the space button when firing through an email or message. If I look down, I will see on the space bar typically what I have typed but with spaces between the words. MOst of the time its my personal helper. I also find the letter b between words as I am slightly off when trying to hit the space bar. It would be "thebdogbchasedbthebcar".
    I still find it my error, and the swipe method is very time saving.
    I came from the Bold♠torch♠Z10. I too was a physical keyboard guy.
    01-21-14 09:08 AM
    I went from a 8900 to 9810 then z10.. I will never go back to a qwerty keyboard on a phone..

akawarrior..
    01-21-14 09:35 AM
    Once you get used to it, and more importantly the phone learns your style of typing you'll find you can type gibberish, yet the keyboard will turn it into wonderful, readable English.

Z10 In action here!
    This!

Digicel Jamaica Official10.2.1.1925 release
    01-21-14 09:38 AM
37 12