I wasn't even sure what the purpose of PIN was until I got a random message from 'RIM BlackBerry Indonesia' today, with a bunch of text in Indonesian or something.

I don't know how anyone would have got my PIN over there, and I don't know why, it the message really was from BlackBerry they would have sent me a message in a foreign language.

In any case, what really is the purpose of PIN if one can just use BBM? Do any of you actually use it?

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 06:36 PM
    I wasn't even sure what the purpose of PIN was until I got a random message from 'RIM BlackBerry Indonesia' today, with a bunch of text in Indonesian or something.

I don't know how anyone would have got my PIN over there, and I don't know why, it the message really was from BlackBerry they would have sent me a message in a foreign language.

In any case, what really is the purpose of PIN if one can just use BBM? Do any of you actually use it?

Posted via CB10
    I use it to message group admins or my bosses.
    08-06-13 06:41 PM
    I have never used them myself but I guess it's for messaging people on BlackBerry devices that are not on your BBM list.

BlackBerry for life. Kick'n it with my Z10.
    08-06-13 06:44 PM
    Is it a BB10 thing, or can we PIN anyone with a BlackBerry, including folks with older ones? I've just actually sent a message using it, and I can actually see its advantage now in a way. For longer messages, or messages that are more like emails, I see why I would use it...

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 06:57 PM
    No a BlackBerry thang_
    In the beginning BBM was more personable always set for close friends and family.
    The PIN was always there for the in personable stuff, such just office announcements, office meetings etc. In business your boss and colleagues would all have your PIN. But only your chosen colleages would be a BBM contact.
    Bosses don't care what you are listening to. Some don't care what you look like or interests either.

EDIT* - yes you can PIN anyone with a BlackBerry. I think at one time, if you knew their name, you could pin them without their personal info being disclosed.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DBones1021; 08-06-13 at 07:17 PM.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    08-06-13 06:58 PM
    Blackberry detractors often disguise their BlackBerry hatred with false enthusiasm. For instance, they'll write, "Why do we need PIN messaging when BBM is so much better? Get rid of it!" This is cleverly disguised BlackBerry hatred because it calls for the elimination of yet another unique and useful BlackBerry feature (i.e. advantage) with which the other platforms can't compete.

PIN messaging is good because it allows one BlackBerry user to message another BlackBerry user without the extra step of users having to invite/add/approve (and eventually maybe delete) each other on their respective BBM lists. (And no, sms is not "just as good," especially in the international realm; that's just more BlackBerry-hater rhetoric.)
    08-06-13 07:13 PM
    Blackberry detractors often disguise their BlackBerry hatred with false enthusiasm. For instance, they'll write, "Why do we need PIN messaging when BBM is so much better? Get rid of it!" This is cleverly disguised BlackBerry hatred because it calls for the elimination of yet another unique and useful BlackBerry feature (i.e. advantage) with which the other platforms can't compete.

PIN messaging is good because it allows one BlackBerry user to message another BlackBerry user without the extra step of users having to invite/add/approve (and eventually maybe delete) each other on their respective BBM lists. (And no, sms is not "just as good," especially in the international realm; that's just more BlackBerry-hater rhetoric.)

Amen!

Posted via CB10
    Karabo26 likes this.
    08-06-13 07:19 PM
    Geez...
    I forgot that because of the security of BlackBerry, the PIN messages could not be intercepted.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    08-06-13 07:48 PM
    In the beginning - and I mean eleven years ago beginning - before BBM and before Blackberries had phones -i used pin messaging to communicate with the rest of my 3 person IT department when our email server was down.

BBM, in fact, is just pin messaging with fancy stuff on top of it. It is still around because it is a tradition, and a really secure basic messaging protocol.

Posted via CB10
    David in Durham likes this.
    08-06-13 07:53 PM
    In the beginning - and I mean eleven years ago beginning - before BBM and before Blackberries had phones -i used pin messaging to communicate with the rest of my 3 person IT department when our email server was down.

BBM, in fact, is just pin messaging with fancy stuff on top of it. It is still around because it is a tradition, and a really secure basic messaging protocol.

Posted via CB10
    It's another useful option. BBM is great, but so is PIN messaging.
    08-06-13 07:54 PM
    We known that bbm is not compressed and it is not encrypted. This is why BlackBerry users do not need a BIS data plan. I was wondering if pin-to-pin messages are also not encrypted. I assume so but dies anyone know for sure?
    08-06-13 08:06 PM

Amen!
    08-06-13 08:30 PM
    I didn't know what pin messaging was so I did some research. There is an excellent article on the government of Canada website discussing how it works and when it can be used. It apparently is (or was) rapid as it bypasses some servers. It is encrypted. I use it believing it is quicker but can't say it's true. I use it solely with my spouse.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 08:40 PM
    I didn't know what pin messaging was so I did some research. There is an excellent article on the government of Canada website discussing how it works and when it can be used. It apparently is (or was) rapid as it bypasses some servers. It is encrypted. I use it believing it is quicker but can't say it's true. I use it solely with my spouse.

Posted via CB10
    Post a link to the website please.
    08-06-13 08:58 PM
    I love pin to pin thats what me and my circle of friends use to communicate. Pin to Pin is the only reason I stay with blackberry....

Posted via CB Q-10
    08-06-13 09:02 PM
    I assure you there is no disguised hatred within me for BlackBerry. I genuinely had never used it, and thought I'd ask. If you read my subsequent post, you will see that I tried PIN and then posted that I could see a use for it. I started the thread on a whim because I have got a PIN message from an unknown source, and hadn't really paid any attention to PIN before that. There may indeed be insidious forces out there, always looking to knock down BlackBerry (of course there are), but I am not one of them.

Posted via CB10
    moyjoy likes this.
    08-07-13 05:35 AM
    I always do where I can.. and only for special people..
    . Haha

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 05:48 AM
    We known that bbm is not compressed and it is not encrypted. This is why BlackBerry users do not need a BIS data plan. I was wondering if pin-to-pin messages are also not encrypted. I assume so but dies anyone know for sure?
    Are you sure BBM is not encrypted or compressed?? I believe it is prior to BB10 and the limit of 6MB seriously needs to be lifted!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 06:04 AM
    This is ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 07:07 AM
    This is ridiculous.
    Yet you fail to say why it's ridiculous. Don't be silly.
    08-07-13 08:05 AM
    I assure you there is no disguised hatred within me for BlackBerry. I genuinely had never used it, and thought I'd ask. If you read my subsequent post, you will see that I tried PIN and then posted that I could see a use for it. I started the thread on a whim because I have got a PIN message from an unknown source, and hadn't really paid any attention to PIN before that. There may indeed be insidious forces out there, always looking to knock down BlackBerry (of course there are), but I am not one of them.

Posted via CB10
    No, I didn't say you were being one of the haters. I was addressing preemptively that which most often is sure to follow in these "Why do we need PIN messaging" topics. There have been many, and the haters usually jump on board calling for PIN to PIN's elimination.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    08-07-13 08:09 AM
    Here is the bulletin from the government of Canada site. Interesting on reread - scrambled rather than encrypted even though it does have a high level of encryption.

http://www.cse-cst.gc.ca/its-sti/pub...sb57b-eng.html

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 01:04 PM
    Here is the link. I was not sure how to post to another reply do I just kept poking buttons!

http://www.cse-cst.gc.ca/its-sti/pub...sb57b-eng.html

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 01:06 PM
    I see the functionality behind it. But I've never used it and don't suspect I ever will in my life

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 02:50 PM