First off, I just wanted to say I have no problems with the BB10, despite lack of apps (I don't believe in side loading), and text messaging is slow (despite some of you may say its a carrier issue).

I loaded a bunch of songs into my BB Z10 and when I play some of them via auxiliary wire to my car the sound quality is horrible. I know its not the song file thats corrupted because when I plug my headphones into my Z10 the sound is crystal clear. The problem isn't with the auxilary wire either because my friend put his nexus 4 (using my auxiliary) and the sound works perfectly. I think there is an issue with BB Z10 and Auxillary wire.

If anyone else experiences this let me know. (Some songs are okay, but songs with a lot of BASS is horrible).
    04-09-13 04:41 PM
    Not sure what the problem would be. I use mine in the car the exact same way and it sounds normal?
    04-09-13 04:47 PM
    Not sure but have you tried turning on headphone audio boost or putting the volume up on the Z10 to see if that helps?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 04:59 PM
    Works fine for me too

Posted with BlackBerry Z10
    04-09-13 05:01 PM
    I tried everything its the bb

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 05:01 PM
    Do you have a case on your phone that might not be letting the aux cable plug all the way into the device? Happened to me with one pair of head phones because the plug was just oddly shaped enough.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 05:05 PM
    Maybe you should take it back to the store where you bought it and see if they can provide you with another Z10 if they cannot fix it.

I tried everything its the bb

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Have you tried leaving the volume, say 3/4 up? And then just change car's stereo volume.
    04-09-13 05:13 PM
    Tried all are bad

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 05:19 PM
    I'm not defending but I don't really understand. The headphone jack is an output. Headphones work fine, as you stated, yet connecting to the aux in your car doesn't. The output from the jack has not changed as it's a constant and simply registers the fact that a device is plugged in. So I'm guessing it's either the wire, the recieving jack, the levels of each device, or the file format. I really don't know the answer at all but I can't really see how the phone itself could be corrupting the signal for one outlet, yet not another.
    blkitr and R Field like this.
    04-09-13 05:39 PM
    I've found this to be an issue too, although only when my z10 is charging whilst being plugged in to the auxiliary cable. Certain headphones also have a strange buzzing sound in the background. As with the OP I've tried the headphones and auxiliary with several phones (my old Torch, a Galaxy S3 and a HTC Desire) and they all worked fine, it's just the z10 that had this problem.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 05:46 PM
    Try a ground loop isolator. I had to use this in my car with a SiriusXM radio while no other media player I owned had a problem.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 05:53 PM
    It's probably because you're amplifying the sound too much. It's like if you zoom too much in a photo and it becomes pixely. I could be wrong though.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 05:55 PM
    Weird, I use my Z10 in my car with an aux cable all the time, and it works exactly the same way the Nexus 4 it replaced did. If headphones are working fine with it, how can the issue possibly be the phone? Maybe the jack isn't going in all the way or something. That's really odd :S
    04-09-13 05:57 PM
    I'm not defending but I don't really understand. The headphone jack is an output. Headphones work fine, as you stated, yet connecting to the aux in your car doesn't. The output from the jack has not changed as it's a constant and simply registers the fact that a device is plugged in. So I'm guessing it's either the wire, the recieving jack, the levels of each device, or the file format. I really don't know the answer at all but I can't really see how the phone itself could be corrupting the signal for one outlet, yet not another.
    Theoretically, if the Z10's AUX output line drivers are weak/mismatched, then there will be transmission line issues. In other words, we cannot rule out the Z10 completely. The loading from the headphones are most likely different than the loading of the AUX cable + car's receiver, so the headphone's loading might be within "spec" requirements, the AUX Cable + Car Receiver might NOT be. I haven't looked at the datasheet for the Z10's AUX jack, but it might very well be different than the Nexus 4 which seems capable of driving his AUX+Car setup.
    04-09-13 05:58 PM
    Most likely had the volume up too high on the Z10 and overdrove the line level input of the car head unit. Or, because the Z10 has a 3 section jack for the microphone, the car connector is a 2 section plug. That may not work well. There should be a breakout adapter to split the input and output from the Z10.
    04-09-13 06:00 PM
    First off, I just wanted to say I have no problems with the BB10, despite lack of apps (I don't believe in side loading), and text messaging is slow (despite some of you may say its a carrier issue).

I loaded a bunch of songs into my BB Z10 and when I play some of them via auxiliary wire to my car the sound quality is horrible. I know its not the song file thats corrupted because when I plug my headphones into my Z10 the sound is crystal clear. The problem isn't with the auxilary wire either because my friend put his nexus 4 (using my auxiliary) and the sound works perfectly. I think there is an issue with BB Z10 and Auxillary wire.

If anyone else experiences this let me know. (Some songs are okay, but songs with a lot of BASS is horrible).
    Hmm... I use mine this way everyday and it sounds great.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 06:00 PM

AS a Sound Guy who works large events and concerts and have to trouble shoot live events and solve problems as quick as possible I'm going to go ahead and declare the problem is beyond the z10.. it is either the cable or the car unit... the reason I have drawn this conclusion is because you mention that headphones work crystal clear...... that means the audio file is fine, the codecs on the phone are fine, the digital to analogue converters are fine, and the analogue 1/8 inch output is fine, so the problem develops outside of the phone... maybe you are using a cable with a short, maybe you are using a cable with one leg.... or maybe there is a problem with the car unit.... but i can assure you based on your original post, it is not the phone...

Furthermore, songs with alot of bass sound horrible or AKA, distorted, because they are... You can not turn the volume on the z10 to maximum volume and expect to get clear sound on bass heavy songs... the car unit is set to receive a certain level, try turning the z10 to 50% volume and try again... You should use Bluetooth anyway where available while bluetooth to me has its flaws, to the regular consumer ear, it is the best sounding because the receiving unit sets the standards
    cjcampbell likes this.
    04-09-13 06:21 PM
    Are you charging your phone at the same time...? and when you have your friend test his phone...his is not charging...?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 06:36 PM
    You could try a different cable. I have various cell phones and I keep different aux cables in my car. Apparently each phone sounds differently with each cable. Sounds weird but it is the truth. The funny thing is my monster cables do not work well with my HTC with built in beats audio which is designed by monster. it works better with crappy aux cables. My iPhone 5 works better with the monster but has louder bass levels with the generic cable.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 06:56 PM
    Thanks for the replies CrackBerry Nation. I know in desperate times we unite as a community but the overwhelming responses have been touching. I thank each and every single one of you for your attempt to resolve my problem

My friend and I were NOT charging our phones. We simply wanted to play music. However my friend's Nexus 4 works fine. I will try to the auxillary tomorrow and provide an update. However, I must say I tried sticking the auxillary wire all the way in both the car (deck) and my phone.

Cheers mates.
    04-09-13 07:11 PM
    Theoretically, if the Z10's AUX output line drivers are weak/mismatched, then there will be transmission line issues. In other words, we cannot rule out the Z10 completely. The loading from the headphones are most likely different than the loading of the AUX cable + car's receiver, so the headphone's loading might be within "spec" requirements, the AUX Cable + Car Receiver might NOT be. I haven't looked at the datasheet for the Z10's AUX jack, but it might very well be different than the Nexus 4 which seems capable of driving his AUX+Car setup.
    On a related note, the Z10's audio codec chip is the Qualcomm WCD9310 which is used in the Samsung Galaxy S3 (LTE) per: Blackberry Z10 Smartphone Teardown : Board & Chip Shots and Images (Mobile Device Teardown) AND (drum roll please) the Nexus 4 (Nexus 4 Teardown - iFixit) which the OP mentioned doing a comparison with.

Since we can rule out the audio codec chip... (and ignore slight differences in PCB routing between the two PCB boards):
    Per iFixit's teardown of the Z10 (BlackBerry Z10 Teardown - iFixit), "the headphone jack, power switch, ambient light sensor, and earpiece speaker housing are built into a single assembly, held in place with some tough adhesive":
    http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net...MTRJBLvAA.huge

The Nexus 4 uses this part:
    http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net...WAJncEXcL.huge

I spent more than "too much" time searching for datasheets for these two parts... If we can get both datasheets, I am sure that a quick XOR of the specs would be revealing as to why the OP's current setup (aux cable to his car's rcvr) might work for the Nexus 4 and not the Z10.

If anyone can help with locating these datasheets, it would be awesome.

04-10-13 01:28 AM
    Same quality? Maybe your songs got low bitrate

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk 2
    04-10-13 01:32 AM
    OP. I had the same issue. Then I found out. It as the wire. Some of them interferes with audio through static. Just try to change your wire.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 03:24 AM