Last year, when I bought my Z10 (as soon as it came out), I was shocked by the behaviour of the sales rep who tried to block me from buying the phone, and soon started following the online articles, noting the constant BlackBerry is dead campaign. I'm sure most of us have followed this closely over the last year or so.

I have been typing 'bbm' and 'BlackBerry' into Google every single day for over six months now as a bit of an experiment/curiosity project. Again, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So, I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that there seems to be a turning of the tide going on. First, it was just a lack of hate articles in comparison to the weeks before. Then it was a stream of, shall we say, neutral articles and reviews. Now it seems that the BlackBerry is dead stuff is becoming far less frequent, and that we are actually beginning to get some qualified compliments about BlackBerry, and cautious comments about its potential future.

Any thoughts on whether this can be sustained? I always wondered how long it would be before the BlackBerry is dead thing become too old to keep chanting. Now I think we are entering a period in which the negative will begin to be replaced by far more positive stuff. I'm just crossing my fingers that the next three phones BlackBerry release are brilliant and troll proof. Either the specs must be brilliant, or the price must be set to make them the best devices in the world for their price range. Hopefully we have more good news to come...

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    01-15-14 06:08 PM
    Hey!

I'm so glad to hear that news articles, reviews, and search results in general are being less critical and at least neutral. I have this extreme preference for an article of any sort to be written with as little bias as possible. For example, if I were to write a report on BlackBerry, I would try to leave my bias for the phone out of my report; because I'd be trying to state objective facts about the company. But there is a way to state these facts in a civil or neutral way; and not using obviously-negative language and punctuation to show your true bias.

There is no way for a researcher, writer, or anyone to write anything that is totally free of bias; but it would be nice if I could read some factual BlackBerry articles written from as factual and neutral a perspective as possible.

I hope that this "turning of the tide," as you put it (a nice catchphrase, by the way!) holds up, at least so people can actually see that the platform is still worth checking out. If there are so many negative stories out there, it's nice to see that they might be balanced out by some neutral or positive ones.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 06:16 PM
    I like John Chen and his approach to the negativity; BlackBerry is focusing on the future, not it's recent past. Chen has been doing and saying the right things so far. Going back to the company's roots I think is a smart move; BlackBerry's belong in the hands of the important. Hopefully with more BB10 handsets in regulated markets like Wall Street the media will start publishing more positive articles.

Being a crackberry fan I think the market needs BlackBerry. Android and iOS are beginning to show their ages, especially compared to the fresh BB10 experience. I just wish more people would spend some time with the OS, especially once 10.2.1 is released!

I too would like to see more positive stories highlighted in the media - the blogging CES challenge that the Z30 won was good news! However, it's going to take time to win back the bloggers.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 06:45 PM