Will BlackBerry ever give us the opportunity to back up our BB10 devices wirelessly, as on the older and CHEAPER BlackBerry Curve 9320?

Heck you can do this with an iPhone 5S....why not ours?

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    11-26-14 02:19 PM
    Yeah, that would be cool. It would increase the amount of times I back up my phone (which is 0).

It would also be cool if a backup didn't render the device unusable.

Unfortunately, Link is and has been a horrendous piece of trash since release, so I don't see that happening anytime soon, not even in 1 or 2 years, unless we somehow gain a significant boost in userbase for them to care.
    Dave1001 and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    11-26-14 02:39 PM
    Look up an app on bb10 app store called "Ultimate Back Up".

It can automatically back up your phone to a cloud storage, as well as to your computer listed in the BlackBerry file manager.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 03:48 PM
    Yeah, that would be cool. It would increase the amount of times I back up my phone (which is 0).

It would also be cool if a backup didn't render the device unusable.

Unfortunately, Link is and has been a horrendous piece of trash since release, so I don't see that happening anytime soon, not even in 1 or 2 years, unless we somehow gain a significant boost in userbase for them to care.
    Left to you if you don't want to back up your device. I'm not willing to take that chance personally...

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 07:34 PM
    They should bring back the original BlackBerry Protect. When I had the z10, I really missed the old BB Protect.
    11-28-14 01:22 PM
    They should bring back the original BlackBerry Protect. When I had the z10, I really missed the old BB Protect.
    Yes, one would think that today, with the cost of the new B10 devices, compared to an $80.00 BlackBerry Curve 9320, that you could have at least the same type of proven backup system.

We're going backwards with that feature. Now you need to go home to your computer and plug the damn thing in. That's a poor excuse for innovation, I think.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 02:03 PM
    difference is to backup old devices it was like a couple MB and that didn't make a diff on data plans, i as the moment stands would not be able to back up 10gb over the air(my Z10/30 backups were that big due to apps etc etc.)
    rhitdoph likes this.
    11-28-14 02:28 PM
    difference is to backup old devices it was like a couple MB and that didn't make a diff on data plans, i as the moment stands would not be able to back up 10gb over the air(my Z10/30 backups were that big due to apps etc etc.)
    ^^ This.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 02:35 PM
    So that's what you meant? I thought you wanted to back up to your PC via the same WiFi network.

They could implement a basic back up on Protect containing settings, contacts, calendar entries, synced accounts (basically everything except your media, apps, and third party app data) as it'd have a reasonable size.

That would be fantastic for me. Both would be.
    11-28-14 02:45 PM
    So that's what you meant? I thought you wanted to back up to your PC via the same WiFi network.

They could implement a basic back up on Protect containing settings, contacts, calendar entries, synced accounts (basically everything except your media, apps, and third party app data) as it'd have a reasonable size.

That would be fantastic for me. Both would be.
    All that I would prefer having backed up would be my "TEXT MESSAGES" like BlackBerry protect did on old BlackBerry phones. Everything else is synced to the cloud one way or the other.

Contacts - Outlook.com
    Calendar - Outlook.com
    Remember - Outlook.com
    Usage pro - built in backup option
    Password keeper - BBID

Anything else is negligible for me.

Posted via my White.Leopard
    southlander likes this.
    11-28-14 02:49 PM
    All that I would prefer having backed up would be my "TEXT MESSAGES" like BlackBerry protect did on old BlackBerry phones. Everything else is synced to the cloud one way or the other.
    For text messages I use SMS Backup app. It's good for transferring messages between BB10 and Android too. Just like you, I have no local contacts, calendars or email accounts. Everything is online and I can change the phone I use 5 times a day, if I want to. All I need to do is to adjust some system settings and to touch some apps here and there. I don't even have installed BlackBerry Link on my computer. Just never had to use it. All my pictures and documents are on SD card. If the phone dies for some reason, I lose nothing. Important things I upload to Dropbox.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    11-28-14 04:19 PM
    The thing that matters most to me is my Word Sub lexicon, and that, unfortunately, has never been able to be backed up anywhere except on Link.
    11-28-14 04:27 PM
    It would be really nice if a selective backup to a cloud is offered. SMS, BBM chat history, bookmarks and history, learnt words, Contacts, phone settings etc.. that shouldn't be much of big data size to worry about backing up online

BBMC
    11-28-14 04:33 PM
    Fire chest...works great.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 04:41 PM

Contacts - Outlook.com
    Calendar - Outlook.com
    Remember - Outlook.com
    Password keeper - BBID

Hi, I use Outlook too, and I did not know that we can share the Remember app notes through Outlook.

Care to share how you sync Remember through Outlook?

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 05:12 PM
    Hi, I use Outlook too, and I did not know that we can share the Remember app notes through Outlook.

Care to share how you sync Remember through Outlook?

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I simply add my outlook.com account and it syncs the tasks & memos to the remember app. Just that each time you create a note on remember, you'll have to manually select destination as outlook account.

11-28-14 05:36 PM
    All I want is a simple way to backup contacts without all this linking and without my Facebook and Bbm contacts. Just the phone numbers I added in. That's all.

Selective app data would be nice.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 01:42 AM
    BlackBerry still seems to be caught in some backward time warp.

Simple.

BlackBerry hates America!
    11-29-14 11:21 AM
    Like most any app it could have an "only over WiFi" toggle.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.1.1151
    11-29-14 11:25 AM

Contacts - Outlook.com
    Calendar - Outlook.com
    Remember - Outlook.com
    Password keeper - BBID

Agree. The backup should include an "exclude any synced data" option.

For me just texts. WiFi profiles. Settings would be nice.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.1.1151
    11-29-14 11:29 AM
    Like most any app it could have an "only over Wi-Fi" toggle.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.1.1151
    It's not the question of having a Wi-Fi toggle. The older or cheaper BlackBerry Curve 9320 backs up the device's information over Wi-Fi because that's the way it's designed. It backs up using BlackBerry Protect, which was done on an $80.00 Curve 9320, and cannot be done on a $700.00 Z10.

Truly laughable at this day and age.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 01:53 PM
    It's not the question of having a Wi-Fi toggle.
    I never said it was, in terms of capability. If you read the other persons post you'll see they are concerned about the size of the backup. On BlackBerry 10 even just backing up the OS, apps and settings you are talking about easily 1-2GB. Some folks don't have a lot of monthly data allowance. So I suggest a backup only over WiFi option IF there was to ever be backup capability to start with.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.1.1151
    11-29-14 08:17 PM
    It's not the question of having a Wi-Fi toggle. The older or cheaper BlackBerry Curve 9320 backs up the device's information over Wi-Fi because that's the way it's designed. It backs up using BlackBerry Protect, which was done on an $80.00 Curve 9320, and cannot be done on a $700.00 Z10.

Truly laughable at this day and age.

Posted via CB10
    The question isn't "why can't we back up without a cable?", it's "why isn't BlackBerry doing the essentials backup with Protect anymore with BB10?". I'm not sure why it's different for BB10, but yes - iOS can back up the essentials for free, and BBOS does as well. Me being me though, I hated that I couldn't back up my entire device with BBOS and Device Manager. With BB10 and Link, I can. So I'm quite fine with the trade off.

This is where BlackBerry could make some money same as Apple. Give X amount of data in a BlackBerry cloud for free, and charge everyone else that would like to have their whole device(s) backed up $40/year and up.

And for the rest of us who don't feel like paying to have all our data in any cloud service, we get to continue to plug in to a machine and back up with a cable, just like iOS.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 10:36 PM
    I never paid anything to backup my iPhone 5S over Wi-Fi. It holds the last four or five backups to the cloud, as well as through iTunes. Never ever cost me anything. Ever.

It is just plain ridiculous that you can backup a Curve 9320, as much as you want, through BlackBerry Protect, but you can't do the same on a BB10 device that cost $700.00.

We are not advancing here, but falling behind.

The same thing goes for BlackBerry Maps on BB10. Crap. I find there were more features in Blackberry Maps on OS7.1.....namely the feature "North Up " or "Track Up ". You have to turn the phone to constantly orient the damn thing as you turn on any road, on a BB10 device.

Not so on a device with 7.1......and they say the BB10 devices are much better....well, they missed the boat on those two things.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 11:37 PM
    I never paid anything to backup my iPhone 5S over Wi-Fi. It holds the last four or five backups to the cloud, as well as through iTunes. Never ever cost me anything. Ever.

It is just plain ridiculous that you can backup a Curve 9320, as much as you want, through BlackBerry Protect, but you can't do the same on a BB10 device that cost $700.00.

We are not advancing here, but falling behind.
    You cannot back up a BBOS as much as you want through Protect - only texts, bookmarks, contacts, calendar, tasks, memos, and a couple other things I can't remember. I can now back up my entire device, all 9GB, and restore with Link. Device Manager would only back up the device itself - no 3rd party apps, and it would skip some app settings here and there. Also, no wireless access nor remote file access with Device Manager as is the case with Link. So we lost granular settings backup/restore with Link, but we've gained quite a bit. Also worth pointing out is Link originally couldn't back up Android apps, and now has that ability as well as restore them, plus restore of all app data is now granular. So it's entirely within the realm of possibility that Settings could (and should) regain that function as well.

As for not paying for iCloud, sure - that's easily possible. My wife's iPhone is also backed up in iCloud for free, because she's using less than the allotted 5GB. She'd need to get a new plan for the next tier.
    11-30-14 12:17 AM
28 12