I feel a bit conned by both my carried and BB. Nobody told me about BlackBerry 10s lack of 'bis compression' when I signed up to this 2 year deal. I only have 1GB of data per month on my plan and I can already see, 7 days in, it's just not going to be enough for me, without costing an exorbitant of money. My carrier clearly keeping quiet about this hoping i'd pass my limit and they'd get their �6 per 250MB.

Sending 3-4 photo attachments in an email racks up to around 8-9MB easily! On my old Curve it would have been hardly anything.

This is supposed to be a business phone, I should not really have to be worried about overspending on data every time I sent an email.

Then again, I thought maybe it was the app I was using that was maybe not totally accurate. How do you measure your data and unless you have unlimited data, aren't you concerned about the rise in cost?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 05:52 AM
    I feel a bit conned by both my carried and BB. Nobody told me about BlackBerry 10s lack of 'bis compression' when I signed up to this 2 year deal. I only have 1GB of data per month on my plan and I can already see, 7 days in, it's just not going to be enough for me, without costing an exorbitant of money. My carrier clearly keeping quiet about this hoping i'd pass my limit and they'd get their �6 per 250MB.

Sending 3-4 photo attachments in an email racks up to around 8-9MB easily! On my old Curve it would have been hardly anything.

This is supposed to be a business phone, I should not really have to be worried about overspending on data every time I sent an email.

Then again, I thought maybe it was the app I was using that was maybe not totally accurate. How do you measure your data and unless you have unlimited data, aren't you concerned about the rise in cost?

Posted via CB10
    Before I got my first bb10 device (z10 on Canada launch day) I knew that the data compression of BIS was gone so I upgraded my plan to have 8 gigs so I was prepared. Maybe you should of read something about the phone before you purchased it as I know for a fact this has been talked about on the front page of CrackBerry and in the forums more than enough. Sorry you didn't educate yourself before a big purchase, good luck on a solution.

Posted using Z30 via CB10
    11-08-13 06:01 AM
    All the info was there but you just didnt research it. I have a 750mb plan and I have no issues. Try BBM for pictures if possible. They are still compressed. Look into apps that are using your data. I had to get rid of dropbox because it was killing my data and one other app that updates all the time. I hope you arent still paying for BIS considering you arent using it. Try sending you pics in a zip file. Zip file option is built into the OS.
    11-08-13 06:32 AM
    I have 1g of data and believe it or not I average 100mbs per month. I'm on wifi whenever poss. Everything is turned onto manual sync...but I'm one of those strange old fashioned breed that don't join everything up and have everything syncing. Email for instance set on manual will still push emails to your phone. Look is security, diagnostics and turn that off....its using your data sending info to BB.

On my data I use email, BBM. On wifi I use websites, Twitter etc.

In short, go through the phone and look at all your settings

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 06:45 AM
    That smells like some backhanded tactics to me, all the info was NOT there pre-purchase of phone, to the extent that it's not reasonable for the average person to know how much data a website or app uses on a phone.

Coming from an older BlackBerry device, where compression has been used since forever, a reasonable person would not expect to see a TENFOLD increase in data usage charges when upgrading to a newer model. Without this app I had to personally hunt down in Appworld, i'd be none the wiser. I expect millions and millions of smartphone users are overpaying for data, because it's not as easy to tell how much you're using compared to texts/minutes.

Also consider how easy it is and enticing the phone makes it to use data services due to its speed and bigger screen. All adds up to fat profits for tax-dodging phone carriers.

In hindsight, it would have been far more economical to buy a �150 android device, and a �15 per month unlimited everything sim-only deal. Right now, with this 4G enabled device, it feels like i'm driving a Ferrari that's been speed limited to 30mph.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 07:22 AM
    That smells like some backhanded tactics to me, all the info was NOT there pre-purchase of phone, to the extent that it's not reasonable for the average person to know how much data a website or app uses on a phone.

Coming from an older BlackBerry device, where compression has been used since forever, a reasonable person would not expect to see a TENFOLD increase in data usage charges when upgrading to a newer model. Without this app I had to personally hunt down in Appworld, i'd be none the wiser. I expect millions and millions of smartphone users are overpaying for data, because it's not as easy to tell how much you're using compared to texts/minutes.

Also consider how easy it is and enticing the phone makes it to use data services due to its speed and bigger screen. All adds up to fat profits for tax-dodging phone carriers.

In hindsight, it would have been far more economical to buy a �150 android device, and a �15 per month unlimited everything sim-only deal. Right now, with this 4G enabled device, it feels like i'm driving a Ferrari that's been speed limited to 30mph.

Posted via CB10
    Why didn't you buy the 15 per month unlimited everything for your BB10?

I have a 500MB prepaid plan and have no problem staying under.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 07:44 AM
    I have a 5g data plan and I don't think I've ever reached 500mb since I got the phone last March. I was into using 2 and 3g a month with the 9810, so I'm very happy with the Z10 performance. The only reason I haven't dropped to 1g data is because Bell charges a stupid price for 1g as opposed to the 5g plan.

I use wifi for any data transfer, use bbm or touch for pictures and big file transfer and use it to manage my small vender business including the mobile hot spot for my i-touch for square credit card transactions.
    Wish square would come to BlackBerry!

The advice to check your settings is good advice.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 08:01 AM
    Data usage on BlackBerry 10 spiking. Feel conned.-usage-20131108.jpg

I get by well enough. Since I work most of the day, I don't have time to fart around on the web, and when I do browse, it's mostly news and other text-heavy sites. Not much in the way of videos or large images. The rest of the time, I'm on WiFi at home.

The real contributor to my increased usage over my old Bold was LTE speed, a faster phone overall, and a better browser facilitating faster browsing, and thus, more usage in the same period of time.
    11-08-13 09:29 AM
    I have an 8 GB data plan and a couple of months ago I was quite upset when my quota ran out only after 10 days or so. As it turned out, I turned off sending data for Diagnostics and then location based adverts and information gathering on location (but not Location service itself) and my data usage went down significantly (3-4 GB / month).
    11-08-13 09:30 AM
    lol when I upgraded to my z10 i changed my plan from 500mb to 1gb thinking that'd be enough man was I wrong, I don't think I've gone one billing cycle without going over by double
    11-08-13 09:42 AM
    I have an 8 GB data plan and a couple of months ago I was quite upset when my quota ran out only after 10 days or so. As it turned out, I turned off sending data for Diagnostics and then location based adverts and information gathering on location (but not Location service itself) and my data usage went down significantly (3-4 GB / month).
    Where are these settings? Thanks in advance.
    11-08-13 09:53 AM
    Same with every phone and almost every carrier now.
    All I can say is use wifi whenever you can. Data is more like a emergency thing. And switch carriers, at least in NA, data is ridiculously expensive. We just have to live with it or don't use it.

I don't know if you're country has a carrier like this but I switched to a smaller carrier that has less reception but way better prices. If it works for you.
    11-08-13 09:58 AM
    Where are these settings? Thanks in advance.
    Security and Privacy - diagnostics

Location services
    11-08-13 10:13 AM
    My Z10 also ran through data like crazy - 2GB+/mo whereas with similar usage on my Nexus S I'd use 400-500MB tops.

I found magazine apps and facebook are bad for consumptions because they refesh so often and download pictures.

My solution was to buy a �15/mo unlimited data plan on 3 and have been very happy with this.
    11-08-13 10:28 AM
    Knew about this in Feb, when I upgraded. My carrier, Rogers, in Ontario, also informed me of it. They found me a business plan that increased me from 1 gb to 3 and saved me $10 a month. No complaints here.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 10:44 AM