I have a limited data plan (Bell), so I don't use data much. I only turn it on when I need it. I would like to be able to leave my data services on all the time without the phone using it for things like email. Is it possible to set the phone so that I only use data when I use an app that requires it?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 10:42 PM
    I know that you can restrict things like BBWorld to not use data. I don't recall if there are other places you can put limits on data.

In 10.3.xxxx, you can set Notifications to alert you to data use and set up the Start-of-month for your allowance.
    09-11-14 12:00 AM
    I would like to be able to leave my data services on all the time without the phone using it for things like email. Is it possible to set the phone so that I only use data when I use an app that requires it?
    My data plan is only 100MB per month, and I can always live with this. I switch the data connection off over night but have it on all the day long. A BB10 device will always produce data traffic of some ten kB per hour, all around the clock and without you do something. This comes primarily by checking the internet connection (every five minutes), checking the configured mail and social accounts in the Hub and the automatic download of received mails including attachments. (The last thing can really be a damned waste of data volume if you have the luck to receive messages with big attachments - if you can't filter this crap directly on the mail server you can't do anything to avoid the download.) The more accounts you have and the higher the update frequency is the more "automatic" data traffic you have. A lot of things you can configure: use the Push option in IMAP email accounts, be sure to switch polling off if Push works (set the polling interval to "Manually"), otherwise it does both (!), switch off automatic software updates, switch off diagnostic messages from your device to RIM, switch off BB World using cellular network (allow only wifi), don't use the Twitter app for posting, use the Search app instead with the "tw" prefix.
    09-11-14 01:05 AM
    I agree it would be great to be able to set mobile data permission on a per app basis.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 02:21 AM
    There are apps that can monitor your data usage, also there's that limit that he mentioned for BlackBerry World and also you can set your emails to sync manually

Visit GTR Lifestyle @ C001247FA
    09-11-14 02:23 AM
    I've been switching it on and off, it wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take so many steps, it would be nice even if it could be toggled on and off from the drop down menu

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 10:14 AM
    I've been switching it on and off, it wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take so many steps, it would be nice even if it could be toggled on and off from the drop down menu

Posted via CB10
    Why can't you? You are running 10.2.1(or 2) right? Quick Setting has toggle for Network Connection. All you do is just pull down the quick settings and turn on and off network whenever you see fit.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 05:48 AM
    Well I sort of need the mobile network on all the time for calls and texts...

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 07:43 AM
    Well I sort of need the mobile network on all the time for calls and texts...

Posted via CB10
    If you press the antenna symbol yes it shuts down the network. But if you press next to it (where the provider's name appears), you will open data options and you can turn it off. OK, it is one more step, but there is nothing else you can do.

Z10/white/100-2/10.2.1.3247
    09-17-14 08:30 AM