Now that we know the z10 won't be using BIS, that means it'll use data just like other smartphones with no compression.

People who are already on a BB plan might get a big shock to find out at the end of the month if they have data overages.

My wife has a 50MB plan and using a 9790, it's plenty of data for her. Some people might be still on a 500MB plan.

You think people will start complaining about the data they use after the first month?
    02-02-13 07:12 PM
    I pre-negotiated my plan with Telus for renewing my contract and L&R did mention that the new phones will be taking up way more data. I use 1GB regularly and the lady said that I should expect my data to be between 2-3GB with the new Z10.
    02-02-13 07:14 PM
    I have a 4GB plan so I think it'll be enough.
    02-02-13 07:16 PM
    I had unlimited social before, and negotiated that if I give up 5 unlimited numbers, I can get 1 GB. I usually used 100 mb or so, so I'm not worried.
    02-02-13 07:22 PM
    I used 199MB of 4GB last month LOL
    02-02-13 07:24 PM
    I use over 2gb on my 9900 everymonth so I will probably come close to hitting my 5gb cap.
    02-02-13 07:48 PM
    Does anyone know what the conversion rate is for every 1 gb of compressed data, how much that is uncompressed?
    02-02-13 07:55 PM
    I took my data and doubled it. Same as others, I called to adjust my plan ahead of time. I pay $3 more than before yet get more than just extra data. Carriers don't want to lose you. They will give in if you're willing to negotiate with them. Tell them what you want, they'll make you an offer, then counter offer. Odds are you'll win with a better plan and rate, and they'll win by still getting your money every month.
    02-02-13 08:00 PM
    Does anyone know what the conversion rate is for every 1 gb of compressed data, how much that is uncompressed?
    It's all different. Depends on the kind of data.... emails, messages, and web browsing were all different.
    02-02-13 08:01 PM
    good thing i have 6gb before i switch back
    02-02-13 08:24 PM
    Worth checking with your provider.. in the UK its being sold with the regular data plans, but with unlimited push mail, which in effect means your inbound mail doesn't get taken from your data allowance, so in effect the same as the previous plans.

I'm not sure how it would treat BBM etc and video chat, I assume that will come from your dataplan
    02-03-13 02:02 AM
    Really Matt? Is that all UK providers?
    02-03-13 02:22 AM
    Can't speak for all carriers, I've been told by Voda, and if you look on Orange's site when you select the tariff some of them state it.. so I would be surprised if they don't all follow suit otherwise they would lose the business
    02-03-13 02:31 AM
    Worth checking with your provider.. in the UK its being sold with the regular data plans, but with unlimited push mail, which in effect means your inbound mail doesn't get taken from your data allowance, so in effect the same as the previous plans.

I'm not sure how it would treat BBM etc and video chat, I assume that will come from your dataplan
    How do they differentiate that data?
    02-03-13 02:31 AM
    Orange definition

'email - Access your inbox wherever you are with push email included in your plan. With push email, your inbox is regularly and automatically updated.'
    02-03-13 02:33 AM
    How they do it.. No idea.. It could be traffic routes from the BlackBerry NOC, but it suggests all mail.. which could mean traffic over those ports, or they inspect the data somehow.

BBMV will be a different type of data over different ports I assume.
    02-03-13 02:34 AM
    Orange definition

'email - Access your inbox wherever you are with push email included in your plan. With push email, your inbox is regularly and automatically updated.'
    Mate, I'd check that. Just saying that push email is included in your plan doesn't necessarily mean that if it adds up to more data than your plan allows you won't get hit for overage charges.
    02-03-13 02:39 AM
    I get no data being on pay as you go literally like 350mb but im going to have to start buying more its literally eating my datfa when I didn't even touch 100mb before probably was a mistake on Oranges part there but there you go. I need a data usage app!
    02-03-13 02:43 AM
    Appreciate what you say Kevin, and it is always best to check yourself with a carrier. The information I've posted is based on conversations we've had with our carrier partners since we have a lot of BlackBerry use, and for us to move it forms part of a key decision point.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    02-03-13 02:44 AM
    I get no data being on pay as you go literally like 350mb but im going to have to start buying more its literally eating my datfa when I didn't even touch 100mb before probably was a mistake on Oranges part there but there you go. I need a data usage app!
    Just a thought here but are you using your old sim card with BIS enabled. AFAIK the Z10 should still be able to pull up data over BIS. I know the network might cap your monthly allowance at 500mb, but even so you should not be buring up data that quick unless you're on 4g or streaming media. If you're on Orange call 246 and ask them to look into it. Failing that you can run everything over wifi if you disable dat services. I know this works as a BT total broadband customer. Keep us informed as to how you get on.
    02-03-13 03:41 AM
    I think until there is absolutely crystal clear information published by your own carrier, you are wise to get confirmation in writing / email from your carrier, so if the worst does happen, you have a route to claim anything back.. better to be safe than sorry, especially if you are remaining on existing tariffs and considering how many different tariffs there are.
    02-03-13 03:47 AM