Hi guys, it's been awhile since I left BlackBerry but after seeing my mother-in-law use her Z10... I just feel like getting it back. I've been using an iPhone 5S and it doesn't disappoint but I need an office phone and I've been using a half-screwed 9900.

What do you guys think of the BB Z10 and how is it like in the company's current financial state? Safe to buy without getting screwed over? How is the app atmosphere like now? Popular apps being supported? Instagram? Skype? Line and etc? Last I remember, you could install Android apps somehow or another, do they work better without problems or still crash intermittently?

And last but not least, I'm working in the military sector now and camera phones are restricted which is why I'm currently sticking to my non-camera BlackBerry 9900. Has anyone heard of a non-camera Z10 and/or is it possible to remove the Z10 back camera and somehow seal the front? Thanks in advance!
    05-18-14 08:24 PM
    Hi guys, it's been awhile since I left BlackBerry but after seeing my mother-in-law use her Z10... I just feel like getting it back. I've been using an iPhone 5S and it doesn't disappoint but I need an office phone and I've been using a half-screwed 9900.

What do you guys think of the BB Z10 and how is it like in the company's current financial state? Safe to buy without getting screwed over? How is the app atmosphere like now? Popular apps being supported? Instagram? Skype? Line and etc? Last I remember, you could install Android apps somehow or another, do they work better without problems or still crash intermittently?

And last but not least, I'm working in the military sector now and camera phones are restricted which is why I'm currently sticking to my non-camera BlackBerry 9900. Has anyone heard of a non-camera Z10 and/or is it possible to remove the Z10 back camera and somehow seal the front? Thanks in advance!
    I love my Z10. And this is coming from a guy that once raved about his iPhone 5S. I was a BlackBerry fan since my first smartphone (Curve 3G). But jumped on the iPhone 4 and then the 5S. The iPhone was fine, but I love my Z10. The touch keyboard is definitely a big step up over iOS. And managing my emails, social networking and texts is definitely a good highlight of the Z10. Even though I came from the 5S, I really don't feel like I downgraded, I even feel like the UI was an upgrade.

The company's financial state really doesn't even effect just how great of a phone this is. You won't be screwed over.

As for apps, I have a native Skype app, I have iGrann (which works perfectly for Instagram). I have most of the apps natively, and if they aren't available, snap does a great job of accessing the android apps. On my Z10 running 10.2.1 they run smoothly and work great. I've also heard that 10.3 makes them even smoother and faster. Definitely no issues.

As for non-camera Z10s I really have no clue, you'd just have to look into it .

Posted via CB10
    pystha likes this.
    05-18-14 08:57 PM
    With the Z10 available for decreasing prices, it'd be the perfect time for you to grab one, as BIS is not required for data.

Apps have improved, although the big apps haven't released their own clients, iGrann for instagram, Snap2Chat for Snap2Chat, Skype app. Etc. (no line yet). And the android runtime has stabilized immensely. Most apps I have tried work well, there's even a way to get apps from Google play: see Snap on crackberry, or just grab the apks for the apps.

I imagine that the rear camera can be removed, but due to the design of the screen I'm not sure about the front. I haven't heard of a non - camera version.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 09:01 PM

I'd say performance wise there is no real differences. Sure, the 5s has 64bit technology but in real life it won't make that much difference!

On both phones apps will launch at the same speed and apps run really smooth on the Z10.

And it's a massive step up compared to the Blackberry OS7.

Boot time on the iPhone is faster. But I think that shouldn't be that big deal, because after booting up both devices run very stable (no battery pull needed anymore). So you might have to restart the Z10 once a month - if at all.

When it comes to surfing the internet the Z10 will make a better job. It's a bit faster and offers a Flash player which make a huge difference on full web pages.

But you might have a bit better apps quality on the 5s when it comes to social networks. The ones for the Z10 are still a bit on an early stage. So the iPhone is a bit ahead. But still better than the ones from OS7.

The big pro for the Z10 is the Hub. If you use your device a lot for communications (E-mail, texting, social networks, messenger - not gaming) it will big a bih deal to have an universal inbox. The iOS has the notification center, but you can not really compare both, because you are only able to see there what came in and when you wanna reply to any of those it will launch each app for that. Which means a lot of "opening" and "closing" apps. Which takes longer, uses more data (because of refreshing the app each time) and making sure to close it again to not have it running in the background all the time.
    In the Hub you get all those messages and can reply to each one directly from it - without launching the app at all.
    Thats a big advantage over iOS when it comes to speed and efficency.
    After getting used to the gestures and the Hub you won't wanna miss that again.

But sure the iPhone still has the better apps (in numbers and quality) and games - as I mentioned above.

Now you got most "important" apps on OS10 or clients which will do a good job. Also if you still misa "original" apps Android ones will run on OS10.
    As I say the run. No "wow-effect", many run ok - others better.

But I have no experience considering no-camera models - didn't even know that they exist. I hope that might help you a bit.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 01:17 AM
    Most Android apps run fine if they don't require Google play services. If you have the camera removed, you won't be requiring Instagram, Skype, Snapchat et al. They are available and work well though, although Skype is a bit ropey. Like I say though, without a camera, you'll probably just make a call instead. The only app you need to sideload is Snap which is effectively the Google Play store. For organising your day and for speed of communication, BlackBerry 10 destroys the opposition.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    05-19-14 01:30 AM
    What native skype app do you have. Or are you talking about the android port found in bbworld

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 02:07 AM

i've owned Z10 day one it was released in Canada. This phone is true workhorse. I would not trade it for iphone. I. Would not worry about blackberry going under. There are many good deals on z10 our there. Most of apps I have on my phone are native. I like instagram myself and there are choices 1. Official Android app that works perfectly fine on z10 or native app called iGrann. I keep iGrann on my phone. It does not have filters of official instagram and it does not allow to upload videos but u still like it a lot. 10.2.1 os is robust and android run time
    Is powerful. Many android apps run great on z10. You just need to sideload app called snap. It allows to download and install apps from Google store directly. I do not have answer in regards to camera question.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 04:08 AM
    Might need to keep that non camera phone for work and pick up a Z10 for personal

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    05-19-14 04:34 AM
    I wanted to skip this topic.. but... couldn't resist. So much bias..

I'm using the Z10 STL 100-2 for about 2 months as my main phone. OS: 10.2.1.2141.
    I owned as my main phone an iphone 5 for more than 1 year.
    Still got both of the phones.

Pro Z10:
    - Hub
    - Keyboard suggestions
    - true multitasking
    - flexibility, file manager (& file picker) with dropbox integration. eg: you can save a file directly to Dropbox from your browser or you can attach a file directly from Dropbox via File picker

Cons:
    - in-app performance
    - contacts bugs
    - battery life (both in usage and stand by)
    - apps loads slower in memory (including app components such as file picker, or when you open a facebook/twitter/text message/etc in Hub - you have to wait seconds if component is not loaded in memory)
    - android runtime in 10.2.1 is sub par. apps are loading slow in memory.
    - memory management

I'd say performance wise there is no real differences. Sure, the 5s has 64bit technology but in real life it won't make that much difference!

On both phones apps will launch at the same speed and apps run really smooth on the Z10.

Boot time on the iPhone is faster. But I think that shouldn't be that big deal, because after booting up both devices run very stable (no battery pull needed anymore). So you might have to restart the Z10 once a month - if at all.

When it comes to surfing the internet the Z10 will make a better job. It's a bit faster and offers a Flash player which make a huge difference on full web pages.
    1. there are. in app performance is inferior. it reminds me on early android days. reddit in motion, twitter, facebook, igrann, etc.. all are mostly using a common render that lags. Also you get more choppy animations on z10.
    2. apps loads slower on z10. compare after boot on both. open calender, music player (and choose a song) on both. See the differences.
    3. not if you're using dlna or want some memory cleanup.
    4. beside desktop mode and adobe flash support the z10's browser is definitely below iphone 5's (ios 7.1) one.
    - Scrolling and render performance is better on heavy sites on iphone 5.
    - Javascript performance is way better on iphone 5 (tested with sunspider).
    - Inactive tabs are being keept more time in memory on iphone 5.
    - Snappier UI on iphone 5
    - Better performance when dealing with history lookup (eg: when you input something in address bar) on iphone 5
    - I've tested both browsers side-by-side and iphone 5 loads the page slightly faster (adobe flash disabled on z10).
    Last edited by Sergiu1337; 05-19-14 at 05:08 AM.
    05-19-14 04:58 AM
    i've owned Z10 day one it was released in Canada. This phone is true workhorse. I would not trade it for iphone. I. Would not worry about blackberry going under. There are many good deals on z10 our there. Most of apps I have on my phone are native. I like instagram myself and there are choices 1. Official Android app that works perfectly fine on z10 or native app called iGrann. I keep iGrann on my phone. It does not have filters of official instagram and it does not allow to upload videos but u still like it a lot. 10.2.1 os is robust and android run time
    Is powerful. Many android apps run great on z10. You just need to sideload app called snap. It allows to download and install apps from Google store directly. I do not have answer in regards to camera question.
    - Instagram on iphone 5 >>>>> igrann on z10 in terms of performance and speed.
    - Android apps on current 10.2.1 takes a lot to load. I've seen that they improved the load times in 10.3 leaks.

OP, that's how iGrann runs on Z10 STL 100-2:

And here you will see some of the lag issues with Z10 (notice instagram load time which is an android app, the other apps are native):
    05-19-14 05:06 AM
    What native skype app do you have. Or are you talking about the android port found in bbworld

Posted via CB10
    There is no native Skype app.

05-19-14 05:14 AM
    I've used the blackberry since the 9700.. After the self-presumed let down of the Q10, I've decided to switch to the iPhone 5S.

I'm thinking of ways on how to use the Z10 at work, I need my apps to trade and monitor my stocks and the iPhone does it well because of the app ecosystem. I intend to carry both the Z10 and the 5S. The Z30 is definitely out of the question, it is too big for a guy like me.

If I were to somehow remove the back camera of the Z10 to comply with office policy, (work does not require emails outside office hours, thankfully), and cover the front camera with some paper, is there a way to delete the camera app in the phone?
    05-19-14 12:52 PM
    I've used the blackberry since the 9700.. After the self-presumed let down of the Q10, I've decided to switch to the iPhone 5S.

I'm thinking of ways on how to use the Z10 at work, I need my apps to trade and monitor my stocks and the iPhone does it well because of the app ecosystem. I intend to carry both the Z10 and the 5S. The Z30 is definitely out of the question, it is too big for a guy like me.

If I were to somehow remove the back camera of the Z10 to comply with office policy, (work does not require emails outside office hours, thankfully), and cover the front camera with some paper, is there a way to delete the camera app in the phone?
    The camera. Bar could be removed. I'm not sure how to do it myself but I've seen that some have replaced the clock. Bar and radio etc. I'm sure that there will be a bit of advice coming shortly from one of the tinkerers.

05-19-14 02:53 PM