So I'm an Android user for the past 2 years (Droid Incredible 2) but I always used blackberries before that for years. I've been using swiftkey on my android device almost since I migrated to android, so predict-a-text is nothing new for me. So... I go to a Verizon store and pick up a z10 and try to type and I end up a bit stumbled. The predictions appear in between the keys, not on top like swiftkey does. So why is this a problem? Because it seems that whenever my thumb is hovering over a letter, I can't see the prediction since my thumb is not "transparent." And if looking at the next letter is required in order to see the word prediction, I find myself carefully looking toward it to see if its the word I need, which takes time away from just typing freely. This is extremely slow. When the predictions are up top, it keeps it all out of the way of the actual flow! Also, the swipe up is strange in that if you don't swipe a certain way, it will not register the prediction.

So... I'm writing this because across the board, everyone talks about how fantastic the z10 keyboard is. And coming from swiftkey on android, I thought it would kind of mirror the same experience. So my question is, does everyone really love the keyboard or are there people who have trouble with it like me? I realize that I only used the device for maybe 10 minutes tops and things can always change, but when comparing it to the Q10, it was no comparison at all. So... am I missing something here??? Any input would be great!
    06-24-13 07:58 AM
    So I'm an Android user for the past 2 years (Droid Incredible 2) but I always used blackberries before that for years. I've been using swiftkey on my android device almost since I migrated to android, so predict-a-text is nothing new for me. So... I go to a Verizon store and pick up a z10 and try to type and I end up a bit stumbled. The predictions appear in between the keys, not on top like swiftkey does. So why is this a problem? Because it seems that whenever my thumb is hovering over a letter, I can't see the prediction since my thumb is not "transparent." And if looking at the next letter is required in order to see the word prediction, I find myself carefully looking toward it to see if its the word I need, which takes time away from just typing freely. This is extremely slow. When the predictions are up top, it keeps it all out of the way of the actual flow! Also, the swipe up is strange in that if you don't swipe a certain way, it will not register the prediction.

So... I'm writing this because across the board, everyone talks about how fantastic the z10 keyboard is. And coming from swiftkey on android, I thought it would kind of mirror the same experience. So my question is, does everyone really love the keyboard or are there people who have trouble with it like me? I realize that I only used the device for maybe 10 minutes tops and things can always change, but when comparing it to the Q10, it was no comparison at all. So... am I missing something here??? Any input would be great!
    I had the same issue. I would just peck on it. Still great keyboard that way also.
    06-24-13 08:01 AM
    I'm more of a complete word typer rather than a flicker but the keyboard does learn rather quickly the words you use and the predictions start to become more accurate. Enough so that I believe the concept of just moving your finger to the next letter and flicking would result in the right word there by eliminating your problem of not being able to see the word. Remember the store unit you used probably had no chance at predicting your words because so many people had input in what it remembers. As for just hammering out emails and texts the old fashioned way, the keyboard works fantastically with zero of the stutter or lag that I routinely experienced on Android keyboards!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 08:10 AM
    You can make the words appear above the keyboards top row with a quick change from the settings menu. I had the Z10 and it was the first time I've ever fallen in love with a touchscreen keyboard (but sold it because of a bad battery experience and picked up the Q10 instead).

Posted from Q10 and CB10.
    06-24-13 08:15 AM
    I felt compelled to flick the words at first and it did seem to be taking longer. Then I tried just typing without looking at the screen and could not believe how good it is!
    I now use the "flick" feature when typing with one hand and just type when using two hands.

Posted via CB10
    sbowlestx likes this.
    06-24-13 08:16 AM
    Anyone use swiftkey on android for comparison?
    06-24-13 08:18 AM
    I tried the flicking of the words, but found that it was quicker to just type out the words. The keyboard corrects my misspellings very accurately. It did not take me long to trust the device to make the right adjustments. I am as fast as I was on either my 9800 or my 9810.

The only time I use the flick is when I am typing one handed with either the right or left hand.
    06-24-13 08:19 AM
    I tried the flicking of the words, but found that it was quicker to just type out the words. The keyboard corrects my misspellings very accurately. It did not take me long to trust the device to make the right adjustments. I am as fast as I was on either my 9800 or my 9810.

The only time I use the flick is when I am typing one handed with either the right or left hand.
    do you have the keyboard set to predict words on its own?
    06-24-13 08:27 AM
    Anyone use swiftkey on android for comparison?
    Yup, great keyboard. I can see why BlackBerry built their BB10 keyboard with SwiftKey tech. Like one of the previous posters here said, you can change the keyboard settings on the Z10 so that it shows the predicted words in a bar at the top of the keyboard rather than over the keys themselves.
    RicanMedic78 likes this.
    06-24-13 08:47 AM
    I've used the Android ,iphone and BlackBerry Z10 keyboards and in my view the Z10 is by far the best. Obviously any system takes some getting used to, but the z10 allows me to type as fast as the physical keyboard (maybe faster), which just isn't true of the other devices.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 09:01 AM
    I guess because I came from a real keyboard on all my old BlackBerry devices that I just hardly ever use the swipe up to use predictive words. I find it faster to just type out full words and not swipe words. Everyone is different though. N

Posted via CB10 using my BlackBerry Z10 smartphone
    06-24-13 09:07 AM
    im a big fan of flicking, usually for longer words. other than that i just type and hit space and autocorrect gets it right 95% of the time. or if im one finger typing then flicking is THE BEST
    06-24-13 09:20 AM

Couldn't get used to the Z10 keyboard-img_00000712.png

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 09:25 AM
    I myself was always a physical keyboard guy. The first month with the Z was hard.

After a while the keyboard learns your habits and you learn the keyboards habits.

Real words always auto correct properly and short for words need to be learnt.

I also add words I use a lot to the dictionary. The the first time I can Say I am sticking with the virtual keyboard. 100* better than my experiences with ios and android.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    06-24-13 10:07 AM
    I find the keyboard technology, precision, self-adjustment and auto correction on the Z10 to be second to no other. That being said, you really need to live 4 or 5 days with the device for it to learn how you type in order to really appreciate it. I stumbled about it for the first few days, but then the keyboard "got me"
    06-24-13 10:07 AM
    im a big fan of flicking, usually for longer words. other than that i just type and hit space and autocorrect gets it right 95% of the time. or if im one finger typing then flicking is THE BEST
    absolutely. 99.9% of the time it fixes it correctly for me. and one hand typing is a breeze to flick
    06-24-13 10:08 AM
    Lollllll euh troll I ment

BlackBerry keyboard is way better than any android keyboard

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone using CB10
    06-24-13 10:17 AM
    My phone battery died and had to be charged but I had to run out so I fired up the ole S3.... My god after using the Z10 the S3 is a step above a cave man carving a message into a stone. I don't know how anyone can even compare the two as they are worlds apart.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    revtech likes this.
    06-24-13 10:18 AM
    I think most people are expecting to much from the "flick" technology. I am a flicker all day everyday... but, the keyboard is not geared to start the perfect sentence for you, it picks up as you go and from there you just flip like nothing on earth. This way you can learn to depend on it as you go rather than praying for it to pop up with the words in your mind (This way you'll slow yourself down as you look around the keyboard).

I found that the flicking has made me super fast and it freaks me out how it finishes my sentences.
    06-24-13 10:29 AM
    I find the keyboard for the z10 to good but id much rather a Q10. With my gf phone i can fly though writing a email
    06-24-13 10:39 AM
    I can't get used to it either... I think bb10 is great but my 9900 whips it for accurate text input... I'm selling my z10 and buying a q10 when it's released in Australia
    06-24-13 10:46 AM
    I was adamant about waiting for the Q10. Whenever anyone would dis the Blackberry I would just show them the 9930 keyboard and that would shut most of them up. I got impatient along the way and picked up a Z10. It was a bit of a challenge at first, then I realized my Otterbox Defender was getting in the way. Now I use he CB Crunk case and typing, word swiping, editing couldn't be easier. The Q10 came out recently in my area, I tried it and found the advantages of the Z10 outweighed the physical keyboard of the Q10. Im a Z10 guy.
    06-24-13 11:06 AM
    It definitely takes a few days to get the hang of the keyboard, but I can go faster on this keyboard with less mistakes than any other keyboard I have had.

I have used the torchs 9800 and 9810, and the bold 9700.

Flicking is used for the one hand use, and just going for broke typing with two hands there is no need for flicking.

I know at&t pulled the 10.1update, but I was able to download it before it was pulled, and the keyboard and the word predictions are even better.

Posted via CB10
    ezapper2 likes this.
    06-24-13 11:28 AM
    It definitely takes a few days to get the hang of the keyboard, but I can go faster on this keyboard with less mistakes than any other keyboard I have had.

I have used the torchs 9800 and 9810, and the bold 9700.

Flicking is used for the one hand use, and just going for broke typing with two hands there is no need for flicking.

I know at&t pulled the 10.1update, but I was able to download it before it was pulled, and the keyboard and the word predictions are even better.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. That's what I said when it was released for rogers

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    06-25-13 05:33 PM
    I've always had a keyboard. Never wanted an all touch and was going to wait for a q10. But just couldn't wait anymore. Got myself a z10 knowing I would hate myself later once the q10 came out. Boy was I wrong! Within a week I was able to type just as fast and accurate as I do with my previous devices. Which is a hellofalot (yes, that was on purpose) faster than I do on a standard computer keyboard. However, I don't flick anymore unless I'm doing it one handed, which I don't believe I ever did on my previous devices... flicking just makes that easier, or if I'm somehow stumped on spelling. This keyboard is awesome and as of right now the only full touch keyboard that would get me to keep a full touch over the q10.

Posted via CB10
    ezapper2 likes this.
    06-25-13 07:57 PM