Was driving home from work and received a text message. Somehow (without me setting anything up) an email message icon showed up on my navigation screen and a little beep sounded.

Had no idea what it was so went through the menu to"connected drive" and then "office" and it showed all my text messages. It even read it aloud for me.

I apologize if this is old news but it was totally new to me coming from years of iPhone use.

Anyway, fantastic feature, and just wanted to let people know that their car can read their texts for them. Thought it was very cool.
    SDTRMG, nezr and Acumenight like this.
    03-28-13 04:27 PM
    Yes, they have worked well with BMW to integrate the two, and on the BB10 it is the best I've seen. You see texts mails and corporate mails if you have balance, very impressive.
    03-28-13 04:30 PM
    Wonder if that's QNX detecting another QNX device automagically!
    SDTRMG and nezr like this.
    03-28-13 04:31 PM
    It's a great feature and leverages an extention of the Boothtooth standard called MAP and works on Ford Sync too with the BlackBerry Z10. I had an iPhone as well and it never worked.

Message Access Profile (MAP)

Message Access Profile (MAP)[4] specification allows exchange of messages between devices. Mostly used for automotive handsfree use. The MAP profile can also be used for other uses that require the exchange of messages between two devices. The automotive Hands-Free use case is where an on-board terminal device (typically an electronic device as a Car-Kit installed in the car) can talk via messaging capability to another communication device (typically a mobile phone). For example, Bluetooth MAP is used by HP Send and receive text (SMS) messages from a Palm/HP smartphone to an HP TouchPad tablet.[5] Bluetooth MAP is used by Ford in select SYNC Generation 1-equipped 2011 and 2012 vehicles [6] and also by BMW with many of their iDrive systems. The Lexus LX and GS 2013 models both also support MAP as does the Honda CRV 2012, Acura 2013 and ILX 2013. Apple introduced Bluetooth MAP in iOS 6 for the iPhone and iPad.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 04:34 PM
    Wow, this is seriously cool.
    03-28-13 04:39 PM
    It's a great feature and leverages an extention of the Boothtooth standard called MAP and works on Ford Sync too with the BlackBerry Z10. I had an iPhone as well and it never worked.

Message Access Profile (MAP)[4] specification allows exchange of messages between devices. Mostly used for automotive handsfree use. The MAP profile can also be used for other uses that require the exchange of messages between two devices. The automotive Hands-Free use case is where an on-board terminal device (typically an electronic device as a Car-Kit installed in the car) can talk via messaging capability to another communication device (typically a mobile phone). For example, Bluetooth MAP is used by HP Send and receive text (SMS) messages from a Palm/HP smartphone to an HP TouchPad tablet.[5] Bluetooth MAP is used by Ford in select SYNC Generation 1-equipped 2011 and 2012 vehicles [6] and also by BMW with many of their iDrive systems. The Lexus LX and GS 2013 models both also support MAP as does the Honda CRV 2012, Acura 2013 and ILX 2013. Apple introduced Bluetooth MAP in iOS 6 for the iPhone and iPad.

Posted via CB10
    iPhone works I think, you just need to have BMW Apps package...

I know my Nexus 4 did not have MAP profile, I have it with my Z10 and it is pretty cool, altho I do not know how useful it will be
    03-28-13 04:41 PM
    iPhone doesn't work anywhere near as well. Text messages work fine, but getting mail to work is hit and miss
    03-28-13 04:43 PM
    Would love this for my car, the Audi RNS-E is powered by QNX Neutrino, as we've seen before we're able to voice control from the car by dialing the mysterious "Blackberry Voicemail" number, would be nice to read my texts/emails via the screen.
    03-28-13 04:48 PM
    Wow! Yet another amazing thing about the Z10 that would've probably stayed untold if someone in the forum didn't bring it up. Surely this OS has many surprises up its sleeve still. Come BBRY time to start marketing features!
    03-28-13 04:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yep...both my Z10s (one for me and one for my wife) definitely works flawlessly in our 2013 Ford Escape Titanium with Ford MyTouch Infotainment System. Even though its flawless, made and clearly marked "Microsoft"...I wish Ford used QNX instead. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Mind you...our former BlackBerry Bold 9900s (Still have them just can't seem to let them go, sell or give it away) also with its MAP default enabled, worked flawlessly as well.

As others have posted...as long as your car's infotainment center handles bluetooth MAP, you shouldn't really have a problem.
    03-28-13 05:01 PM
    This just made my day. I haven't had a chance to set up mine in the car yet.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 05:07 PM
    How extremely Cool is that . Just wow got nothing more to say. Mind Blown
    03-28-13 05:26 PM
    Yup works in the Lexus Rx350 plus it loaded some of my contact pictures into the contacts. Not sure why some of the pictures transferred and others didn't but great integration. Also you should check for BlackBerry voice integration in your contacts. When you select it and choose dial ,it activates the voice control on the phone and you can ask it to do things like text a contact and then send message.
    Last edited by solsticegt1; 03-28-13 at 06:18 PM.
    03-28-13 05:47 PM
    iPhone doesn't work anywhere near as well. Text messages work fine, but getting mail to work is hit and miss
    I had iPhone 5 running ios6 (with BMW apps) and had never seen a text message show up like this. Totally cool.
    03-28-13 05:55 PM
    my blackberry bold 9870 when connected to ford sync does exactly what was described above: it will give you option to listen to or view the text message. its a neat feature.

also played with a tmo z10 very nice wasn't impressed with tmo's new plans. With it i woul dbe paying an extra $18 a month over what i pay now.. salesman couldnt argue with that.
    03-28-13 05:59 PM
    Works on Mercedez too; Love it! Now if we can only get the phone's display to show up on my dashboard display somehow...
    03-28-13 06:11 PM
    Works with Lexus as well. Reads email and text messages, and gives options to pick from to reply to messages. If you have time and the interest you can even add your own customized responses to the list. It's very slick.
    03-28-13 06:14 PM
    Work with my gf nissan sentra 2013 info system too. I can access phone contacts, text message, voice control, email. Pretty neat. Love the z10 more and more
    03-28-13 06:15 PM
    Wonder if that's QNX detecting another QNX device automagically!
    It is! I believe the BMW system is based off QNX

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 06:16 PM
    Works great in my Lamborghini Gallardo!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 06:26 PM
    2013 Honda Accord Sport also runs on QNX. I am receiving text messages as well as updates.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 06:31 PM
    It is! I believe the BMW system is based off QNX

Posted via CB10
    Yes folks that awesome QNX is in 60% of cars on the road today, and in your z10 too! I don't think it'll be too long before they have a wonderful marriage, and even more integrated like being able to get the cars vitals while your on the phone to the cars tech support. This can all happen with BlackBerry OS kids, oh and just for info QNX is not only in cars but in the majority of hi tech medical equipment and a majority of major military equipment, and don't wanna get into the details but it is SIL3 rated, meaning its mathematically very robust and millions of times less likely to crash unexpectedly like most other OS's its also Mil spec certified for use by the military which means it's robust, and very dependable

Do some reading it will blow your mind what BlackBerry owns here

Www.qnx.com

This is the future people and this is just the first step...hang on to your seats...

Oh look up machine to machine interfaces (think Z10 to BMW X5)

Posted from my Zed 10*CA*
    03-28-13 06:37 PM
    Works with Lexus as well. Reads email and text messages, and gives options to pick from to reply to messages. If you have time and the interest you can even add your own customized responses to the list. It's very slick.
    To be fair, it works the same with my Android and WP8 devices as well.
    03-28-13 06:55 PM
    This used to work perfectly with my Bold and my BMW X3. With the Z10 I get sms messages but no longer get emails. Can't figure out why.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 07:06 PM
    This used to work perfectly with my Bold and my BMW X3. With the Z10 I get sms messages but no longer get emails. Can't figure out why.

Posted via CB10
    Did you check out "Settings>Bluetooth>Configure>Message Access Accounts" and make sure you've set your desired email address(es) as 'enabled'?
    03-28-13 07:25 PM
31 12