I am sure this has been discussed before but I am a new Passport User. The same seller on eBay has some very reasonably priced Z10s for sale. What is the appeal of a BB without the keyboard? Their onscreen keyboard seems nice but just curious about the main draw or appeal since I thought for the most part it was the physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-18 11:57 PM
    I am sure this has been discussed before but I am a new Passport User. The same seller on eBay has some very reasonably priced Z10s for sale. What is the appeal of a BB without the keyboard? Their onscreen keyboard seems nice but just curious about the main draw or appeal since I thought for the most part it was the physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    You mean, what is the appeal of a BlackBerry slab from 2013? Not much.
    Bbnivende and skrble like this.
    12-17-18 12:02 AM
    You mean, what is the appeal of a BlackBerry slab from 2013? Not much.
    Haha, I meant from the perspective of those who still enjoy the device! Even if it is just for nostalgia or technical curiosity at this point.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-18 12:04 AM
    Haha, I meant from the perspective of those who still enjoy the device! Even if it is just for nostalgia or technical curiosity at this point.

Posted via CB10
    The BlackBerry vkb is still arguably the best out there.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-17-18 12:06 AM
    From what I have seen, I would have to agree. I find it interesting that the Windows phone vkb and the BB vkb were the best and yet those two wound up in the dust bin.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-18 12:10 AM
    From what I have seen, I would have to agree. I find it interesting that the Windows phone vkb and the BB vkb were the best and yet those two wound up in the dust bin.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I suppose that's one piece of a 100 piece puzzle.
    12-17-18 12:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    A 16:9 aspect ratio screen--not bad for watching video. Privacy and security that is second to none, though you will find other perspectives here on CB. Replaceable batteries. Mini-HDMI output jack to connect an HDMI cable directly to the device if you want.

There are others, but hopefully that's a start.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-17-18 01:04 AM
    A 16:9 aspect ratio screen--not bad for watching video. Privacy and security that is second to none, though you will find other perspectives here on CB. Replaceable batteries. Mini-HDMI output jack to connect an HDMI cable directly to the device if you want.

There are others, but hopefully that's a start.

Posted via CB10
    Definitely. Doesn't seem like too bad of a deal then for one new in box for like $70 US. Might have to jump in and then be using two BB10 devices instead of just one lol.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-18 11:04 AM
    Can you please outline why this is so?
    12-17-18 11:28 AM
    You'd have to judge for yourself, but BlackBerry has always made their keyboards one of their highest priorities - physical, or virtual.
    12-17-18 11:53 AM
    I find the word prediction is superb (others may disagree) and the swipe up is nice as well. I have it installed in my android device and much prefer it to GBoard. Also like it for the slide over quick pre-programmed messages and number pad (left and right swipe). A very productive add-on for the keyboard.

p.s. Uh, sorry this is in regards to the android version of vkb but I still also like the BB10 vkb even though it lacks some of the features I listed above.
    12-17-18 11:58 AM
    I find the word prediction is superb (others may disagree) and the swipe up is nice as well. I have it installed in my android device and much prefer it to GBoard. Also like it for the slide over quick pre-programmed messages and number pad (left and right swipe). A very productive add-on for the keyboard.

p.s. Uh, sorry this is in regards to the android version of vkb but I still also like the BB10 vkb even though it lacks some of the features I listed above.
    Ditto. Although the stock Android keyboard has gotten significantly more usable in Oreo, I feel that the BB Suite Keyboard is "better" on my LG G7. Perhaps my opinion is colored due to 4 wonderful years on my Z10.

One gotcha on the Z10; poor battery life.
    12-17-18 12:31 PM
    I have had a Passport since it came out, and a Q10 before that. I also bought a brand new Z10 last year as a back up. The Passport is my main phone. When I am at home, my personal SIM is in the Passport; when I am at work, the work SIM is in my Passport and the Z10 takes the personal SIM. This way I can check my personal SMS and calls in an OS I am familiar with.

I prefer the Passport because I can get so much done with its big screen and great keyboard. However, the Z10 is just the perfect size to keep in my pocket.

I bought a new old stock battery for it and it does okay. I don't use the Z10 heavily and suspect it couldn't keep up if I used it like my Passport. The Z10 basically doesn't get used when I work away and sits connected to WiFi and 4g voice only (I don't let it data roam in most places) with my personal SIM card in it.

No one will believe me but the Z10 lasts for nearly 4 days between charges! Admittedly, I look at it about three times a day!

Everyone praising it's VKB is right, it is probably the best you are going to get. I couldn't get on with the Motion's VKB at all but the Z10 I can cope with. If I used it all the time, like BB10adopter then I'm sure I could be pretty proficient with it.

You could always get used one for nearly free before you spend more money on a more expensive one? Just an idea.

Also, there is a limited edition red Z10 which is what I got. I love the look of it.

Also, if you are considering a Z10, make sure you avoid the STL100-1 version which is slower (different processor) and can't be upgraded past 10.3.2-- this applies to all colours (well certainly black and red).

Posted via CB10
    12-17-18 01:58 PM
    Thank you for your replies guys, personally I'm with you as I have the z30 which I'd prefer any day over the z10 due to the battery life. The reason I challenged this is because my buddies claim they can't live without a slide board (Gboard, Swift key), so was curious on others inputs.
    12-17-18 02:10 PM
    Depends on what you mean by reasonably priced. I have a Z10, the main benefit vs Passport is simply the more pocketable size. Due to the aspect ratio on the Passport, you get same or better video experience on the Z10
    However in comparison the Z10 is Slooow and poor battery life.

I have Windows 10 phone, iOS and 'droids. Even the 'droids with BlackBerry or Swift keyboard are not close enough to the BB10 VKB. You just have to try it yourself. Hands down BB10 is the best VKB I've ever used.

Day to day use, I prefer my Q10 or Z10, I use the Passport only on long trips where size doesn't matter as much as making sure I have the power to grind through the day without even swapping batteries and everything has to run as fast as possible
    12-17-18 04:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm a user since launch. The entire BB10 OS was designed with the Z10 in mind. The gestures are scaled for the size of the phone, the interface looks great, The screen is very usable, even in direct sunlight.

I'm not suggesting it's more usable than newer phones in 2018, including the Passport, but it's a very pure expression of the original vision for BB10.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-17-18 05:12 PM
    Z10 is my favourite phone ever. Small, durable, great reception and the best glass keyboard ever (as well as z30).

Downside is battery life is mediocre but I always made it through the day. Battery is swappable, however.
    Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    12-17-18 06:23 PM
    Removable battery, headphone jack, HDMI port, and a small manageable screen size. I personally hate slab phones with small screens, but some people apparently like them.
    12-18-18 11:07 AM
    just for nostalgia or technical curiosity
    As long as you know this going in, go for it.
    12-18-18 01:39 PM
    I think the BB10 cursor is a lot better than androids although android has improved. The word substitution is pretty excellent also.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-18 07:37 PM
    I think the BB10 cursor is a lot better than androids although android has improved. The word substitution is pretty excellent also.

Posted via CB10
    I wish hard that BlackBerry would give us the BB10 cursor on the Android devices. I despise the cursor control on Android. I hate having to fool with it when editing. There are still so many things about BB10 that are superior to the Android offerings IMO.
    Last edited by The_Dark_Knight_Forever; 12-19-18 at 12:00 AM.
    12-18-18 11:11 PM
    I wish hard that BlackBerry would give us the BB10 cursor on the Android devices. I despise the cursor control on Android. I hate having to fool with it when editing. There are still so many things about BB10 that are superior to the Android offerings IMO.
    The web has a few specifications to change this, its not standard though and may be awhile(or not at all) until its standardized. Not sure how to or if it can be changed on th BB Webkit but I bet it can. Only pointing this out cause many apps can be repackaged to an offline standalone application.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-18 12:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    More screen real estate when not typing. Plus the flick typing is just quicker, I find.
    12-21-18 06:27 AM
    I have had a Passport since it came out, and a Q10 before that. I also bought a brand new Z10 last year as a back up. The Passport is my main phone. When I am at home, my personal SIM is in the Passport; when I am at work, the work SIM is in my Passport and the Z10 takes the personal SIM. This way I can check my personal SMS and calls in an OS I am familiar with.

I prefer the Passport because I can get so much done with its big screen and great keyboard. However, the Z10 is just the perfect size to keep in my pocket.

I bought a new old stock battery for it and it does okay. I don't use the Z10 heavily and suspect it couldn't keep up if I used it like my Passport. The Z10 basically doesn't get used when I work away and sits connected to WiFi and 4g voice only (I don't let it data roam in most places) with my personal SIM card in it.

No one will believe me but the Z10 lasts for nearly 4 days between charges! Admittedly, I look at it about three times a day!

Everyone praising it's VKB is right, it is probably the best you are going to get. I couldn't get on with the Motion's VKB at all but the Z10 I can cope with. If I used it all the time, like BB10adopter then I'm sure I could be pretty proficient with it.

You could always get used one for nearly free before you spend more money on a more expensive one? Just an idea.

Also, there is a limited edition red Z10 which is what I got. I love the look of it.

Also, if you are considering a Z10, make sure you avoid the STL100-1 version which is slower (different processor) and can't be upgraded past 10.3.2-- this applies to all colours (well certainly black and red).

Posted via CB10
    01-27-19 10:10 AM
    Hi[QUOTE=rickzimmerman;13340509][/QUOTE

Hi James. I have most of the blackberry models too and there are things I like about all of them. I’ve swapped my sim between them but have always been a bit nervous about removing and replacing the sim trays too much in case I destroy the pins or the sim. Do you turn the power off on both phones before swapping the sim? I’ve seen guys in cell stores change sims while the power was on without any problem. Rick
    01-27-19 10:16 AM
27 12