Hi folks,
    I have a one month old Z10 that I don't dare use. I came from a 9810 Torch and then an LG android. After installing all my apps on wi-fi, the Z10 startied using huge amounts of data on both wi-fi and cellular. I have a small 200 Meg/Month cellular plan that has always been more than enough for what I do (email, facebook, the odd search or browse). The android used about 150-175 Meg/month. One day the Z10 must have felt lonely, because it ate through 150 Meg in just over an hour before the battery died. That was near the end of my monthly cycle, so it cost me extra on my data plan. I then purchased the Miniciti data use app to monitor my datause, and removed my sim card to be safe. This phone was blasting through around 4-6 Meg an hour every hour day and night.

Now here is the kicker. I removed EVERY app. My email, facebook, blackberry connect, all programs that could be uninstalled were removed. Diagnostics off, everything that had a transmit or receive is off. I am still using 300-400K per hour 24/7 at home, and close to that at work. Both locations have only wi-fi connected, since I don't dare put in the sim card till this is resolved, and absolutely nothing installed or running on the phone (except the data monitor).

Can anyone tell me what is going on? If I don't find an answer soon, there will be a used Z10 for sale, and I will go back to my android.
    03-24-14 10:37 AM
    Do you have facebook setup in accounts? Perhaps it's polling facebook for data? Although it really should not be doing all that much data exchange for this. My mom is in a similar situation and she has no issues, and even opens and uses the facebook app some. She comes no where near her 250MB per month limit.
    03-24-14 10:44 AM
    Hi Rich,
    Facebook has been uninstalled, along with every app that was not permanent on the phone.
    03-24-14 10:53 AM
    Have you tried opening up the Device monitor app to see if it shows what is using data?

Also, what OS are you running?
    03-24-14 10:55 AM
    I am running OS 10.2.1.2156 which I installed last week. I was hoping it would help, but it didn't. I have looked at device monitor but it doesn't tell me about data use. I will look at each service to see what is using the data and report back
    03-24-14 11:10 AM
    Ok, here's what is using data over last 48 hours:
    Input services: 27.6k down, 34k up
    Secure Networks: 154.4k down, 136k up
    PIM services: 5.5m down, 394.1k up
    BBM: 185k down, 138.1k up

So it looks like PIM services are the wi-fi hog. What are PIM services and why are they constantly using data? As I mentioned, I deleted all my accounts for email, facebook etc, for the purpose of this testing.
    03-24-14 11:24 AM
    PIM services are you email, calendar, remember, contacts, messages
    03-24-14 11:41 AM
    From my understanding, PIM services are all of your accounts. If you go to Device monitor > PIM Services > Accounts it will show you what you have.

Not for nothing but 5.894mb over two days is not a data hog. That works out to 88mb over 30 days. And how are you using that much with nothing installed? I have 5 email accounts (2 are push the other 2 are set to sync every 4 hours and the 5th syncs every 24 hours) as well as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn and Evernote and my PIM services over the last 48 hours are only 3.9mb up and 1.3mb down for a total of 5.2mb, with no WiFi activity :s

I would try a wipe and fresh install of the OS. Add the accounts back one at a time, to see if you can find the problem.
    tgsp likes this.
    03-24-14 11:42 AM
    That is what I am figuring too. There must be something wrong with the installation. I double checked and there are no accounts active at all, so 88 meg over a month is pretty ridiculous. My android has both my corporate and gmail accounts, as well as twitter, linkedin and facebook and has used only 131 meg of wi-fi and 26 meg of mobile data in 3 weeks. That includes surfing, location services etc.

Thanks for all your help!!!
    03-24-14 12:17 PM
    NSA download?
    03-24-14 12:42 PM
    NSA download?
    We certainly hope not.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    03-24-14 12:56 PM