After I upgraded to 10.1 some of my contacts were on my SIM ( ones that I've added since getting Z10) and other contacts were in backup on Link

When I imported the con
    04-29-13 08:02 AM
    When I restored my contacts, pretty much 75 % of them came up double or triples or even quadruples.. what has happened? When I go into them they all say they are linked into each other so I don't know what to delete and what to keep. As well it used to sync very well with Facebook pictures / LinkedIn pictures, but now most of the pictures are blank

Any help how to go about fixing this the right way?

BTW - I'm unable to edit any posts keep getting this

Contacts are messed up-img_00000585.png
    04-29-13 08:06 AM
    There is no default contact account (yet). Everytime you add a new contact contacts are automatically saved to:
    1-- Local
    2-- SIM
    There is only 1 contact showing but they have "Links" to both Local and SIM.

If you sync with an online contact account (yahoo, outlook, gmail), everytime you add a New Contact they are saved/sync'd in 3 places.
    1-- Local
    2-- SIM
    3-- sync'd email account
    Again, there is only 1 contact showing by it will have 3 "Links" (Local, SIM, and Email account)

When you backup to Local....... I think all of the contacts will be backed up regardless of where they are stored/sync'd. Now when you restore, it is possible that several things could happen .......... the key is where all contacts are saved (and their "Links") before the backup.
    If you restore you could wind up with sets of contacts:
    SET 1 --- Those stored on SIM
    SET 2 --- A complete set of contacts from restore all stored on Local
    Again, check the "Links" and see what is happening.

Did I mention "Links"!!!
    Check the contact "Links"....... this is the key to determining what is happening.

I have not done a restore from BB Links. I read where someone posted that all contacts are restored to all saved to "Local".

Without knowing:
    1-- Exactly how all of the contacts are transfered to and/or stored on your device before backup
    2-- Exactly how all of your contacts are set up after restore (did you restore + sync with email, etc. etc.)
    it's impossible for anyone to tell you exactly what is going on with your contacts.

I hope some of this helps!!

"Links".... check the contact "Links"......... this is the key to telling you what is going on.

Hope this helps!!
    04-29-13 08:35 AM
    There is no default contact account (yet). Everytime you add a new contact contacts are automatically saved to:
    1-- Local
    2-- SIM
    There is only 1 contact showing but they have "Links" to both Local and SIM.

If you sync with an online contact account (yahoo, outlook, gmail), everytime you add a New Contact they are saved/sync'd in 3 places.
    1-- Local
    2-- SIM
    3-- sync'd email account
    Again, there is only 1 contact showing by it will have 3 "Links" (Local, SIM, and Email account)

When you backup to Local....... I think all of the contacts will be backed up regardless of where they are stored/sync'd. Now when you restore, it is possible that several things could happen .......... the key is where all contacts are saved (and their "Links") before the backup.
    If you restore you could wind up with sets of contacts:
    SET 1 --- Those stored on SIM
    SET 2 --- A complete set of contacts from restore all stored on Local
    Again, check the "Links" and see what is happening.

Did I mention "Links"!!!
    Check the contact "Links"....... this is the key to determining what is happening.

I have not done a restore from BB Links. I read where someone posted that all contacts are restored to all saved to "Local".

Without knowing:
    1-- Exactly how all of the contacts are transfered to and/or stored on your device before backup
    2-- Exactly how all of your contacts are set up after restore (did you restore + sync with email, etc. etc.)
    it's impossible for anyone to tell you exactly what is going on with your contacts.

I hope some of this helps!!

"Links".... check the contact "Links"......... this is the key to telling you what is going on.

Hope this helps!!
    Quick question, how do I see my "Local" contacts ONLY?

Thanks
    04-29-13 08:41 AM
    Here is an example:

You sync your contacts with an email account and they all have 1 "Link"
    1-- Email

You add some New Contacts and they have 3 "Links"
    1-- Local
    2-- SIM
    3-- Email

Now you backup and restore...... you now have a complete set of contacts saved to "Local"
    1-- "Local"
    But you also had some contacts on SIM (from your previous New Contacts that you set up before backup) so you have some duplicates with 1 Link:
    1-- "SIM"
    Now you add and sync back with your email account and these all have 1 "Link" which could yield many duplicate and triplicates
    1-- "Email"

You should see now why "Links" and understanding them is key.

Hope this helps!!

NOTE: If you sync with an email account you should probably turn off sync or delete that contact account before doing a backup. You should not need to backup this data with Blackberry Link since it is sync'd/saved online. This should prevent some of the duplication issues when you restore from backup.
    Last edited by duckduke; 04-29-13 at 11:29 AM.
    04-29-13 08:48 AM
    Ok I now understand.. my next question if you don't mind

I have quite a few contacts with just one phone number showing up three times. They were all input on my old blackberry and transfered to my Z10 when I purchased. These same contacts were not on the SIM until after I restored from backup and saved all my contacts to SIM. Two of the three triplicate entries say sim under link and one says local.

Which ones should I delete?

What's the proper way to add a contact? I don't use Outlook or any email, not an option. If I save contacts to SIM again, will I have 4 sets now on the SIM card?
    04-29-13 02:23 PM
    Un link them from one another and remove the sim ones. Just leave the local ones. And you are good to go

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 02:26 PM
    Unlink 500 names and delete the sim ones manually?

I'm gonna have to take a day off work for this.... is blackberry the only phone that does this or do the others have this problem as well.

8 years on smartphones and this is the first time my contacts has gone haywire
    04-29-13 02:34 PM
    Go to contact and than just select sim contact instead of all and delete one of it. See if the local contact of that remains. If it does you can delete all from there altogether

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 03:51 PM
    Quick question, how do I see my "Local" contacts ONLY?

Thanks
    -- Open contacts
    -- Peak left
    -- Select "Local"
    Last edited by duckduke; 04-29-13 at 08:54 PM.
    04-29-13 04:05 PM
    Why oh why can't we just have 1 contact for each person, saved to device memory, that includes all the necessary data inside of it to pull info from the various sources (facebook/twitter/linkedin/etc). Having up to 4-5 contacts for each person is just crazy, especially if the device is unable to remember the 'state' of the contact app, because upon reboot it restores to 'default' settings and you have to switch everything back again. Also, their is an option in settings to copy all to sim, and to copy from sim to device, so automatically creating both a device contact AND a sim contact for a single new entry is just so sloppy.
    04-29-13 04:28 PM
    Ok I now understand.. my next question if you don't mind

I have quite a few contacts with just one phone number showing up three times. They were all input on my old blackberry and transfered to my Z10 when I purchased. These same contacts were not on the SIM until after I restored from backup and saved all my contacts to SIM. Two of the three triplicate entries say sim under link and one says local.

Which ones should I delete?

What's the proper way to add a contact? I don't use Outlook or any email, not an option. If I save contacts to SIM again, will I have 4 sets now on the SIM card?
    -- Open Contacts
    -- Peak at top and click "Settings"
    -- Scroll to the bottom of screen and select "Manage SIM Card Contacts"
    -- At the bottom of screen select "Select All"
    -- At the top right select "Delete"
    This will remove all contacts on the SIM. I just tested this process and it only removed the SIM "Link" (storage) from contacts with multiple Links (i.e. - Local + SIM).
    (NOTE - I had a 1 contact with 5 "Links". I did the above procedure and it simply deleted the SIM "Link". I still have the contact but now with only 4 Links........ the SIM "Link" was deleted.)

Using this process you will remove all SIM contacts and you should be left will all Local contacts.

THE PROPER WAY TO ADD A CONTACT:
    IMO- the proper way is not currently an option. The proper way would be for us to simply select a default contact account (like we do for calendar and email) and simply add new contacts. But, we cannot do that with the current 10.0 and to my knowledge the same is true for 10.1 leaks. Hopefully this will be changed in a near future OS update.

A. If you do not sync with any email account.-- Simply add a contact. Each contact will have 2 "Links" = Local & SIM. There is no way to change this as far as I know because we cannot set a default contact account (like calendar and email). This really should not be an issue.

B. If you sync with an email account contact list (yahoo, outlook, or gmail)-- I think its best to add New Contacts online at the email account and let them sync to Z10. This way you only have 1 "Link". If you add a New Contact on device you will have at least 3 "Links". You can still manage this if you "Unlink" the "Links" you don't want which will create a duplicate contact. Then can delete the duplicate contact with the "Links" that you don't want. This is a PITA to manage so it works better to add online and let the contacts sync to the Z10.
    04-29-13 04:51 PM
    Stuff like this sounds like a PITA and forcing me to Outlook.com..... Still planning on migrating to a Z10, but.....sheesh.....
    04-29-13 05:03 PM
    I tell you, it's driving me nuts. I don't understand why they need to bother with sim contacts in the contacts at all. The contacts should just be on the device, with one single entry for each contact. Regarding what to do with the sim card, the option to import/export is already in settings, just leave it like that. If someone wants to use sim contacts, they can import them and MERGE with an existing device contact. If someone wants to put all their contacts on the sim, let them do an export to sim. But having a sim contact always being created for every new entry is very messy. Don't even get me started on this 'linking' nonsense. Let's just have one entry per contact, on the device, with all the information it needs stored there.

Right now when I add a contact, I go to the sim card and delete the corresponding entry right after. This is okay. But, I'm so paranoid about my phone rebooting. I don't want to loose any links or have it revert to a state where it's a pain in the *** to get the desired result back.
    Last edited by dj_matty_s; 04-29-13 at 07:37 PM.
    04-29-13 05:29 PM
    Lol, k so I'm not the only frustrated one. I now understand I should delete all my sim contacts. And then delete the double/triple local contacts from there ... when I'm done I'll save to sim again and turn off sync to sim. Problem is sim sync is defaulted on so when I upgrade Os versions again in a few weeks this whole problem will arise again. Grrr

:: banging head off wall::
    04-29-13 06:48 PM
    "Who's on first?"

I'm just pretending the issue doesn't exist on my phone.

Maybe it will be solved in a future update, with a "Cleanup" via Link thrown in for good measure. Looking at my contacts (thousands) scares me worse than the boogeyman under the bed scares a five year old.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 07:18 PM
    Contacts desperately needs and update. BB10 contacts are really messy and its not reliable atleast for me. There is no way to import contacts from file which is a let down. Google contacts does not work very well too. Contact duplicates are very frustrating and its creating problems with whatsapp when there is a duplicate contact.
    04-29-13 07:44 PM
    I don't understand why they need to bother with sim contacts in the contacts at all. The contacts should just be on the device, with one single entry for each contact.
    That's exactly what I have. All contacts stored on device, with one single entry for each contact.

Yes.... sure.... there were a few contact name differences between my contact list and Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. This has to happen as sometimes the name is listed differently, etc. No problem, I just Link them together to form 1 contact.

It can be done and managed with or without sync'ing an email account.

Because so many want all of the info merged in one place (contact list 1, contact list 2, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. etc.) .... it is not simple. You have to look at the system and figure out how it works in order to manage it.

No doubt, improvements are needed.
    - we need the ability to set a default contact account
    - we need the ability to edit (add, delete) contact "Links"

But the system we have can be managed if you understand it. Hope this helps someone!!
    04-29-13 09:09 PM
    The problem is that even if you 'understand' the system, its still not perfect. You'll never have just one contact. If you link someone with facebook, twitter, etc, it creates a separate contact for each. If you have 100 contacts on your device, and you want them to be connected via the various social media accounts, those 100 contacts are automatically 4 or 500 individual contacts. It's messy at best.
    04-29-13 09:23 PM
    Hello

The problem is that every time a new contact is added from the device it is saved in every email account plus as a local contact. Then all the saved contacts are linked so at first glance there's one contact added. This is problematic for situations where the contact should be in only one email account, for example for people having an account for business and other for personal things.

My wife had this situation so the only workaround I could give her is to create 'shell' or 'empty' contacts entries so every time she needs to add a contact using the device she just edits the empty shell contact with real information. The shell contact is created directly in the email page (outlook.com, yahoo.com, gmail.com), not in the device. The shell contact will have a name like 'new yahoo 1' (or 'zznew yahoo 1' if you want to keep it all the way down in the contacts list). When the contact is edited in the device it doesn't create additional linked contacts in the other accounts. When the shell contacts run out (you can create several shell contacts) then you create a new bunch again.
    This workaround is helpful if just need adding few contacts on the device every day.

Hope it works for you
    08-12-13 03:33 PM