There may be a better way to ask the question but I just need some simple help on the whole concept of LINKS when it comes to Contacts.

I've run into problems and I've seen threads where other users have, too. Somehow, someway, two or more contacts become LINKED. When that happens sometimes a Contact (my sister and some others in my case) disappears from the full list of contacts. I had entered her name and data (phone, email, address) into my Contacts. I had also entered some of her data in a Contact called ICE (In Case of Emergency). Well, her name, etc disappeared from my contacts. Manually sifting through the list, searching and using M (first letter of her name) did not find her. Yet, if I tried emailing her, info that was not in ICE showed up. She was hidden but somewhere.

Finally, I had seen a thread about LINK problems. Turns out ICE and Sister were linked. I "broke" some links and suddenly she appeared again. I then looked at a few other problematic entries. Same issue and they appeared when I UNLINKED.

Okay, I do not want this level of automation. I don't want some computer assisting me. I don't want my contacts "hidden" because they appear as some other LINK somewhere else in my Contacts. If I want to enter some person twice for some reason, let me be. Just do it.

I don't have Facebook or instagram or whatever else might be linking some folks. I also do NOT use contacts from Gmail or yahoo or other email accounts. But I'm pretty certain ICE and Sister were not associated other than with phone numbers.

What is the LINK feature? How does one completely avoid it? Is there an OFF Switch or Setting? I just want a simple set of names and their respective info. I don't want blending and mixing and matching. Others have complained that totally unrelated contacts were melded. So somehow LINK in contacts is messing stuff up.

Any help appreciated including LINKS (no pun intended, okay, maybe a little) to some Knowledge Base or article on how it works would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance (and more to be bestowed on helpful ideas!)
    02-25-14 06:31 PM
    No takers?

I was hoping someone would know what causes LINKING between contacts when I or other users do not intend to create them.
    02-26-14 05:28 PM
    I wish I knew. I too have tried unlinking, and to little or no avail, they're often linked again the next time I open the Contacts app. Unfortunately, mine is complicated with e-mail accounts and contacts from there too. At one point, I tried copying everything to the SIM card, and deleted all e-mail accounts or stopped sync for contacts where possible -- well, that didn't last for long, and probably isn't practical for most people like it wasn't for me.

It would be very helpful to have the option to manually manage contacts and avoid linking.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-26-14 05:41 PM
    If you would like to reverse this process and unlink contacts, simply go to the contacts name, tap on the Links icon at the bottom and tap Unlink next to each name in the list and then Save.

The above is an excerpt from this post.
    http://m.crackberry.com/dear-berry-h...-link-contacts
    Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    02-26-14 05:51 PM
    BlackBerry's automatic linking of contacts from more than one contact source has been a major pet peeve of mine since I got my Z10 in July.

I've posted about it as much as I can in the BlackBerry Beta Zone forums and in every survey I take.

I'd also like the option to NOT bring in contacts from "friends" when setting up Facebook accounts. This happens automatically without my input in the matter. Then the auto-linking happens, messing everything up.

So, I'm with you.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    02-26-14 06:01 PM
    Did you go to Contacts, slide down from top, tap Settings and turn all off? Solved problem with FB being a PIA, went to Setting, Accounts and deleted it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    02-26-14 07:10 PM
    Did you go to Contacts, slide down from top, tap Settings and turn all off? Solved problem with FB being a PIA, went to Setting, Accounts and deleted it.

The fact that you can't control it upon first setup after an OS install or reload is the problem. And it doesn't stop the auto linking either. It needs to ask if you want them from the beginning - at least give us the option. Regular email setup has the option (for EAS type accounts at least).

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 07:43 PM

This is the key to unblinking your contacts. The only one I have selected as "on" is Link. You can choose any of the options, but you also have to set up Link to support the setting you choose.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    02-27-14 08:18 AM