I have now seen a number of worrying reports about the Z10 screen. As I'm sure you all know, there is no protective layer of glass on top of the glass plate that holds the digitiser, and the glass itself is not Gorilla Glass. This means that impact on the screen will not just take out a relatively cheap piece of glass, it will require a complete replacement - which currently in the UK is quoted at �195. Even a Galaxy Note replacement costs �50 less than that.
    The Q10 will presumably have similar technology, and although the screen on that is less likely to get bashed, similar replacement costs would be quite a turnoff.
    With an apparent Achilles heel as big as this, unless BlackBerry have some plans for an affordable screen replacement scheme, I don't feel able to recommend it to people.
    Putting it in a big box is not the answer; for me a major point of a phone is that I can carry it around without having to have it in a big case, just in case it gets dropped or knocked off a table.
    Wayne Hessel likes this.
    03-24-13 08:47 AM
    This is the risk we take.... protection is a must.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 08:58 AM
    This applies to ALL portable device, phones & tablets! Not exclusively to the Z10

Govern Your Actions Accordingly!
    Spawn12 likes this.
    03-24-13 09:05 AM
    Screens, no matter what size can be broken. I have seen small screens on phones broken, so saying you can't recommend the Z10 because of its screen is rather pointless. With that attitude you could not recommend any phone really as they all potentially can suffer the same problem if damaged.

Posted via CB10 via my awesome Zed (or is that Zee?)10
    Last edited by knighty2112; 03-24-13 at 09:24 AM.
    03-24-13 09:11 AM
    I'd be interested in seeing some accurate reports on the situations that caused the cracked screens, and how many Z10s out of the total number of circulating Z10s have had cracked screen incidents. Especially before deciding whether or not to recommend it, or even to only recommend it to certain crowds.
    03-24-13 09:20 AM
    I never have to worry about MY screen breaking.

Concerns about Z10 screen.-motorola_startac.jpg
    03-24-13 09:20 AM
    Have owned about 8 phones over the years. 4 BlackBerry phones. Not one screen cracked. I have an active outdoor job. Have dropped each BlackBerry phone without cracking anything.

The Z10 lives in a Tech21 case at work and naked in the BlackBerry holster at home.

Unless you have a history of dropping your phone I wouldn't about replacement costs in the same way that you shouldn't worry about replacing a carpet because you may spill wine on it.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 09:21 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motorola_startac.jpg 
Views:	3982 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	143482
    Looks like we have a comedian over here, at least it takes the focus off how trollish this thread is tbh

Posted on CB10 via Z10
    JWWDUKE, brout and bob03sue like this.
    03-24-13 09:24 AM
    I have now seen a number of worrying reports about the Z10 screen. As I'm sure you all know, there is no protective layer of glass on top of the glass plate that holds the digitiser, and the glass itself is not Gorilla Glass. This means that impact on the screen will not just take out a relatively cheap piece of glass, it will require a complete replacement - which currently in the UK is quoted at �195. Even a Galaxy Note replacement costs �50 less than that.
    The Q10 will presumably have similar technology, and although the screen on that is less likely to get bashed, similar replacement costs would be quite a turnoff.
    With an apparent Achilles heel as big as this, unless BlackBerry have some plans for an affordable screen replacement scheme, I don't feel able to recommend it to people.
    Putting it in a big box is not the answer; for me a major point of a phone is that I can carry it around without having to have it in a big case, just in case it gets dropped or knocked off a table.
    "Achilles Heel" is being a bit dramatic. I'm pretty confident that the Z10 has a screen that is on par or even stronger/less prone to breaking(iphone 4/4s I'm looking at you) than other phones out there.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 09:25 AM

Cool phone! I may be tempted to sell my Z10 for one of these babies! They are so retro I love 'em!

( note: tongue is firmly in cheek there folks!)

Posted via CB10 via my awesome Zed (or is that Zee?)10
    03-24-13 09:26 AM
    I never worry about it

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 09:36 AM
    Looks like we have a comedian over here, at least it takes the focus off how trollish this thread is tbh

Posted on CB10 via Z10
    While the Achilles heel comment was a bit excessive, I don't think this thread is trolling at all. This can be a genuine concern, and quite frankly I'd like to keep my new Z10 naked, but I don't want to have to take that risk of cracking it's big beautiful screen.

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    03-24-13 09:43 AM
    The screen seems pretty solid to me. I have put a matte screen protector on top of it because I don't like smudges and it bothers me to see my reflection in it, but I am confident the glass is as strong as that of any other touch phone out there.

The fact that it is not Gorilla Glass? simply means that BlackBerry chose not to use Corning as their supplier.

I have no doubt that other glass makers have been working hard to produce materials that have properties similar to the one marketed under the name Gorilla Glass.

Similarly, the fact that the display is not called Retina Screen? doesn't make it less pixel-dense.

In the end it is still glass, and it will break or crack if it receives a shock at just the wrong angle, no matter who makes it.

Now, I haven't tried my keys on the screen - and I won't - and I try to be careful when handling my phone... but hey, accidents happen, and I am no more concerned about the Z10's screen than I would be if it was of any other brand.

Posted with a BlackBerry Zed10 via CB10
    03-24-13 09:48 AM
    Same here. Having sold cell phones for a living for a long time. I stopped putting so much emphasis on the gorilla glass features of devices. Sure its a selling point but when people with those phones come in just as often as people without gorilla glass devices, you start to realize glass breaks, because it's glass. ALSO, I've seen it clarified that gorilla glass has great scratch and bend tolerances, and is strong for how thin it is but never claims to be break resistant.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 10:06 AM

LOL ! Dude...are you sending this post from the past! That is a classic museum piece.

03-24-13 10:22 AM
    My sister's Samsung flip phone screen was broken before she moved on to a BlackBerry.
    My brother in law's iPhone 4 screen was broken last year.
    The my cousin's iPhone 4S screen was also broken. She is still using it broken.
    My co-worker's tiny candy bar style phone with 1-inch screen was also broken. I didn't think screen that small could break. Well, it did cracked.
    My sister's Bold 9900 also has a chip.
    No screen could go against the mighty gravity. So just be careful with whatever phone you are using.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-24-13 10:49 AM
    Concerns about the screen?

Have a look at this...

03-24-13 10:54 AM
    Wow that was painful to watch. But I'm impressed!

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 11:04 AM
    Concerns about the screen?

Have a look at this...

BlackBerry 10 Hammer & Knife Scratch Test - YouTube
    Thanks for posting this video up!! Do you think he was really going after it with the hammer?? I could see white under the impacts!! Impressed!
    03-24-13 11:15 AM
    better not drive that car around, may get in a collision
    03-24-13 11:46 AM
    Won't recommend a phone because it lacks "Gorilla Glass". What a stupid thread.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 11:56 AM
    Well at least there is no way to crack the back of the phone. There has been an extremely high count of undesirables throughout the forum. The phone they have must not be worth the talk.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 11:59 AM
    The 4/4s is very prone to the outer glass breaking, but is not expensive to repair- I've seen as low as �40 to replace it. People have missed my point; not that the Z10 is potentially fragile but that the estimated cost to repair that I have seen is very high. If it was around �100-135, comparable to other phones, I wouldn't worry. But nearly �200 is a lot.
    03-24-13 12:04 PM
    Won't recommend a phone because it lacks "Gorilla Glass". What a stupid thread.Posted via CB10
    This is the Apple mindset. If it doesn't have an alliterative buzzword attached to it, it's no good. Also, I have only ever seen three iPhone 5 handsets that weren't spiderwebbed. Should have sprung for the transparent aluminum.
    03-24-13 12:05 PM
    "better not drive that car around, may get in a collision" - Droggy66

Back in the day I knew two people who had Volvo 940s. Both were written off after quite minor accidents because the sills were too fragile. I had a similar accident to a VW group car and it was fully repaired for �600. This is the point I'm trying to make: not that phones break, but what I have seen so far suggests that the Z10 is more than usually fragile and much more than usually expensive to repair. Instead of making cheap cracks, I'm hoping that someone will be able to tell me that either or both of these is incorrect.
    The defensiveness and tetchiness of so many posts around the Z10 is making me feel that it does have issues.
    Last edited by kupfernigk; 03-24-13 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote parent
    Viper8423 likes this.
    03-24-13 12:07 PM
54 123