Hello everyone,

I been using Iphone 5 as my main smartphone and bb 8520 for my work phone.
    Since Z10 is out now, I'm wondering if I can save my self hassling with my Ip5 & 8520.

But before I buy Z10 I would like to check if it will be easy to transfer/set-up my work mail to a Z10.

By briefly reading some thread and watching video tutorial from BB;

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...vation-666237/

I think the trouble that I will be facing is the Enterprise Activation Password. I am hesitant to contact my IT on this, as I might ask what is the purpose and they may say I am not allowed to use different phone.

I have a company laptop with my email profile setup in it and it is connected to local firewall.

>Is it possible to do the 'wired' Enterprise Activation on Z10?
    >Will my laptop installed with BlackBerry� Desktop Manager connect to BlackBerry Enterprise Server?

^ If at all possible, connect the BlackBerry device to a PC running Desktop Manager and a 'wired' Enterprise Activation should begin.

How To Activate Your BlackBerry on a BES Without Wireless Enterprise Activation
    Steps to activate a BlackBerry smartphone by connecting it to a computer using BlackBerry� Desktop Manager:
    Make sure the user�s account that you are trying to activate is added onto the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
    Install the BlackBerry Desktop Manager for BlackBerry Enterprise Server use on the user�s computer with their mail profile setup on it. (Note: The computer must have an active connection to Microsoft Exchange)
    ------> BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.5 and above: On the integration page when installing the Desktop Manager select to integrate Desktop Manager with a work email account -> Redirect Messages using BlackBerry Enterprise Server -> Microsoft Exchange.
    ------> BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.3 and below: On the integration page when installing the Desktop Manager select integrate with BlackBerry Enterprise Server -> Redirect Messages using BlackBerry Enterprise Server -> Microsoft Exchange.
    Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the Desktop Manager. (Note: Server Status should show �online� on the bottom bar of BlackBerry Desktop Manager.)
    The activation should begin automatically within a minute. The screen on the BlackBerry smartphone will display an activation status once it begins.
    Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    02-16-13 05:00 AM
    It won't matter whether you're attempting a wireless or wired BES activation, you'll still have to get your IT department to supply the one-time password for Enterprise Activation on your new device. The activation will show it's a different device whether you tell the tech or not. You can't circumvent the security. By calling and asking, you show that you aren't try to do so. At worst, you'll be told no and won't appear to be trying to violate security.
    02-16-13 08:48 AM
    On a more technical side, Z10 is different from your 8520 and require a new server (BES 10) to be setup by your company. Unless your company offer also active sync (which a z10 can also use to sync your work data) you'll have to keep both.
    02-16-13 09:32 AM
    It won't matter whether you're attempting a wireless or wired BES activation, you'll still have to get your IT department to supply the one-time password for Enterprise Activation on your new device. The activation will show it's a different device whether you tell the tech or not. You can't circumvent the security. By calling and asking, you show that you aren't try to do so. At worst, you'll be told no and won't appear to be trying to violate security.

Thanks Jeffh,

Appreciate your input, sounds very reasonable.
    Best thing to do is ask IT before buying Z10
    02-16-13 09:46 AM
    On a more technical side, Z10 is different from your 8520 and require a new server (BES 10) to be setup by your company. Unless your company offer also active sync (which a z10 can also use to sync your work data) you'll have to keep both.
    Thanks Coooly,

My company is big (8000+ employees from different part of the world) and I seen several type of work phone used by different type/level of employee...
    Since 2007, I've been asking IT yearly if our email system will support iphone, and every time I ask they say no, this year on a conference room, i seen our VP using iphone for his work email...
    So, I am guessing that information are passed to employee depending on their level... This is the reason why on my 1st post I am reluctant to even ask IT, but Jeffh made a clear point... its better to be safe than sorry...

On a side note, is there a way to determine if my company is supporting active sync or BES 10 without asking IT?
    Last edited by phey_05; 02-16-13 at 12:55 PM.
    02-16-13 09:58 AM
    Hi,

I just downloaded Desktop Manager and connected my 8520 and this is what i've got.

Company 8520 to Personal Z10  (Enterprise Activation Password)-11.jpg

Company 8520 to Personal Z10  (Enterprise Activation Password)-12.jpg

The PIN is actually visible when I connected it on my work computer. Also, I tried to navigate on the enterprise activation on my device and this is what I got:

Email:
    Password:
    Activation server address:
    PIN:XXXXXXXX
    Desktop: Activated on July 30, 2012

Does the enterprise activation password similar to the PIN that I am able to see on my computer and device?
    Can i use this PIN to activate my work email (Enterprise Activation Password) on Z10? (my Z10 will arrive on Friday by the way.
    02-18-13 03:34 AM
    Also trying to open BBlink and I got the message below;

Company 8520 to Personal Z10  (Enterprise Activation Password)-link1.jpg

Does this mean my company doesn't support new server (BES 10)?
    Last edited by phey_05; 02-18-13 at 04:27 AM.
    02-18-13 03:38 AM
    You will need to contact your IT administrator.
    02-18-13 06:49 AM
    You will need to contact your IT administrator.
    Sorry... for the BBlink?

How about the Desktop manager?
    Is the pin same as the enterprise activation password?
    02-18-13 07:11 AM
    Sorry... for the BBlink?

How about the Desktop manager?
    Is the pin same as the enterprise activation password?
    No, the PIN you see listed is your devices PIN for uses such as BBM. JeffH was correct that there is no way to circumvent this process. This is why BlackBerry is known for being secure and trusted by companies and governments for handling sensitive data. But as JeffH also mentioned, your company will need to update from BES 5.4 to the new BES10 and transfer some of their current BES licenses to the new BES. Our company just had our regional reps for BlackBerry in this past week to review and work with us on standing up our new dev and production BES10 servers.

Your only option is to contact your IT department and see if they are running BES10 and if company policy allows personal device use with your corporate email.

Good luck!
    02-18-13 07:19 AM
    Actually not with BES10. If his IT department has the Web desktop client policy defined, and he is a member of that group, he'd no longer need a password from IT. You simply log on to the BES 10 web desktop client and assign it yourself. It's a user control panel for the BB10 devices...sort of like the DM was...

We have BES10 and I wrote that policy so I could let users activate themselves, should they need to. He would still have to be a user on BES 10 though...and I'd bet he's not at this point.

...and this is of course assuming that they actually have BES10 installed, which the OP hasn't mentioned one way or the other...
    phey_05, UserName872 and jeffh like this.
    02-18-13 07:36 AM
    Actually not with BES10. If his IT department has the Web desktop client policy defined, and he is a member of that group, he'd no longer need a password from IT. You simply log on to the BES 10 web desktop client and assign it yourself. It's a user control panel for the BB10 devices...sort of like the DM was...

We have BES10 and I wrote that policy so I could let users activate themselves, should they need to. He would still have to be a user on BES 10 though...and I'd bet he's not at this point.

...and this is of course assuming that they actually have BES10 installed, which the OP hasn't mentioned one way or the other...
    This is great to know, thanks! How/what is done so that a user can activate themselves? Do you still have to provide them with an enterprise activation PW?
    02-18-13 07:44 AM

Thanks for the updated information.
    02-18-13 07:53 AM

Hello FBA,

thanks for the information, At least I have a bit of hope.
    02-18-13 08:39 AM
    This is great to know, thanks! How/what is done so that a user can activate themselves? Do you still have to provide them with an enterprise activation PW?
    IT has to add this to the policy on BES 10:

Manage Users>>Username>>Groups>>Edit Users>>BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager users>>Add (Username)

That will place the user in that group and all the user has to do from there is use the link provided to access the WebDesktopUser.

The IT group has the URL and it would look like this:

https://ServerName.DomainName.xxx/webdesktop/login

User can then log in using the A/D credentials (or BES10 credentials if so defined) and it's self-explanatory from there.

I have fully tested and deployed this - and it works perfectly, but IT has to define as to whether the server can be accessed from the public side or only through the VPN, which they normally do in any case.

The idea is that users no longer need a password from IT as they can now log in and do it themselves, but the users HAVE to be assigned to the BES10, same as BESX or BES 5.x.
    UserName872 likes this.
    02-18-13 08:43 AM
    Also trying to open BBlink and I got the message below;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	link1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	136530

Does this mean my company doesn't support new server (BES 10)?
    Nope...that's just a connection issue with your BB ID...nothing to do with BES. BBLINK doesn't really communicate with BES10.
    02-18-13 08:49 AM
    FBA,

Kindly enlighten me with the technical works;

BES10 = exclusive blackberry server that has to be set-up by my company
    BES 10 web desktop client = from BES10 server that has to be set-up by IT
    BES10 WebDesktopUser = has to be provided by IT and I have to be a registered user

After that I can configure my device using my work computer?…

Since it is inevitable not to communicate it my IT, I want to know that I am asking the right questions.
    02-18-13 09:16 AM
    You are and yes, exactly that which you have posted!

All you need now to do, is communicate with IT and see if they have or are planning to implement BES 10. It's a free upgrade from BES until the end of the year. It's also a very simple upgrade. Took me under an hour from out-of-the-box to activating devices. I however, do NOT use BES10 personally on my device; I did but hated it.

There are rules and policies it imposes that are both stupid and cumbersome, and many cannot be reconfigured. I just use Activesync through Exchange 2010. The caveat is that AS doesn't do wireless backup, but it's a small price to pay for not having to use BBRY's dumb philosophy and rules. With A/S only, you have everything under one roof and you can access your SD card, which you can't from the workspace on BES10...no matter what. Go figger.

There are many other stupid issues with BES10, such as trying to use voice dial on handsfree while driving when the device workspace is suddenly locked, which there is NO apparent way around at this juncture. It can't access your workspace when locked, even if you don't need a password to unlock it. Max unlocked time on workspace is 60 minutes of no activity, the end.

The "dumb things" list is long...LOL
    02-18-13 09:27 AM
    wow!

I'm speechless. The main reason I bought Z10 is convenience on both personal and work life...

I actually just called our IT department armed with all information above...
    BES10 will be implemented next month and Z10 will be deployed worldwide. but we have to request and be "approved."
    and guess what... PERSONAL DEVICE? big NO! part of the company policy... I wish I know someone from our IT department.

I don't know what to do now... everyone should understand by emphasizing the "approve" word.
    02-18-13 09:52 AM
    wow!

I'm speechless. The main reason I bought Z10 is convenience on both personal and work life...

I actually just called our IT department armed with all information above...
    BES10 will be implemented next month and Z10 will be deployed worldwide. but we have to request and be "approved."
    and guess what... PERSONAL DEVICE? big NO! part of the company policy... I wish I know someone from our IT department.

I don't know what to do now... everyone should understand by emphasizing the "approve" word.
    No personal devices being used on a corporate BES is very common depending on the industry you are in. I personally work for a financial electronic trading firm and between SEC regulations and all types of potential leaks, email on a personal device is a "never going to happen" kinda thing. Maybe you could get a Z10 from your business once implemented to replace your current corporate 8520?
    02-18-13 10:30 AM
    ^ that will easily solve my problem.
    but im sure that's not easy as it sounds...eventhough im not part of lowest ranking mammals in my company, approval still needs to go through a needle hole.

I thought buying a Z10 will be much easier than asking for approval...
    02-18-13 01:05 PM
    ...I thought buying a Z10 will be much easier than asking for approval...
    The capability that FBA described certainly makes it easier for users to maintain their Enterprise accounts, but it doesn't bypass security. IT has to implement the new capability, then enable you to access it. You are not going to be able to attach to the Enterprise without IT's knowledge and consent.
    UserName872 likes this.
    02-18-13 01:31 PM
    The whole idea being that IT could now actually allow the collaboration of a work and play device all on one unit...but you do realize that IT in such large corporations have their own political agenda and rarely have any regard for users and / or productivity, right?

They claim their duties are to facilitate /secure and protect the company's IT, but are usually completely inadequate and incompetent in that respect anyway, but don't get me started...LOL

If IT has Activesync enabled on the Exchange server, it would be an easier and far less restrictive path to travel...as all one needs to do at that point, as get the domain name for the AS - input their correct login credentials...and call it a day.
    Richard Carullo likes this.
    02-18-13 01:41 PM
    The whole idea being that IT could now actually allow the collaboration of a work and play device all on one unit...but you do realize that IT in such large corporations have their own political agenda and rarely have any regard for users and / or productivity, right?
    I know! right!

Imagine a 8520 with azer keyboard travelling frequently!
    I always ending up with 8520 & ip5 (w/ 3g data roaming) in my face transfer/copying data on both device...
    Sometimes I laugh on my self and wondering how life can be easier...

And mind you I request for a qwerty keyboard, but it was totally ignored ...

Again, FBA, thanks for understanding my sentiments...
    02-18-13 02:13 PM
    If IT has Activesync enabled on the Exchange server, it would be an easier and far less restrictive path to travel...as all one needs to do at that point, as get the domain name for the AS - input their correct login credentials...and call it a day.
    This would be sufficient for my needs... At least i can access work mail offline rather that activating 3g and opening safari every time i need it.

I did try this with iphone's MS exchange server and it doesnt work...
    I don't know with z10's MS exchange server, probably the same...?
    02-18-13 02:25 PM
46 12