Before I get into the phones a bit about me so you have some background on where I am coming from:

I am late 40's, a professional sales manager. I travel a lot and my life revolves around mobile communications. I started using Blackberrys in the mid 2000's but went to iPhone 4 when I was frustrated with RIM's inability to read it's customer base and give me a decent browser. Lately I have been a user of Android phones, with my latest being the HTC One the previous being a Samsung Galaxy which I was not a fan of. I do, however, I like the HTC and still have in my possession so am able to do back to back comparisons against the 10.

So here is what I think of the 10 compared to the Android:
    • Calendar - very nice
    • Contact management - a huge pass, the slickest thing out there.
    • Integration of home and business email accounts - fantastic
    • Quality of the phone call - a major pass. For those of us who deal with clients to make a living call quality is very important. This phone is the best I have had.
    • BBM - glad to have it back (wife never left Blackberry)
    • Feel and appearance - very nice phone
    • Mapping - just get Wisepilot regardless of the device you own and pay them the $30. It's worth it if you travel for a living.
    • Camera - the time shift does exactly what it says it will do and it is a great feature. In terms of quality of picture, it is as good as anything I have had with the exception of an actual dedicated camera. So, it you want a truly great picture, you still have to invest in a truly good camera.

But here is what blows me away that I never had on the Android phones: I really enjoy listening to UCT on YouTube while I work, or even when I am on the exercise machine. On the HTC if I am listening to a video, I can't switch to another application - say email or twitter or perhaps a game, without the application (YouTube) pausing. Not so on the Blackberry. In addition, when I am on the exercise machine I can't put the HTC to sleep and keep YouTube running. This creates a problem, because invariably the screen will be bumped in my pocket and it pauses the video, meaning I have to dig it out and restart it. Again, not so on the Blackberry, I can hit the button on the top which puts the screen to sleep but my YouTube application remains running.

So in closing, there is nothing on the Android that I actuall miss. I am a huge fan of iTunes, but there are apps available for the 10 to allow me to sync my iTunes library with the 10 just as there is with Android. So, I have more functionality, a more efficient method for managing all my contacts and my iTunes. There are fewer apps, but I believe that over time the app market will be closer to what is out there for iOS and Android.

Blackberry has truly brought a well made, well thought out phone to the market. I will be keeping the 10.
    Last edited by bbuser125; 02-26-13 at 05:54 AM.
    02-25-13 01:16 PM
    Wasn't the conclusion I thought was coming from the title lol. Nice to know someone who has and does use other platforms likes BB10
    02-25-13 01:25 PM
    I've been using BB9700, 9800 and then went away to iToy(4S) and Android. The eason for tis horrible treachery was ability to tether to other devices. Then 4 month ago, when I was making a decision to upgrade Note to Note II, my heart told me to stop wondering and to wait for BB10 to arrive and so I did. I am totally agree with OP, but have to add something - he forgot about constant crashes of Android phones. Not going back to iDon'tWorkForMe things or any Android. For 3 weeks in a row(tomorrow 3 weeks to launch in Canada) can't let this phone to leave my hands.
    DJRikko likes this.
    02-25-13 01:38 PM
    Nice and fair review of the Z10's strength.

Couldn't agree more on the videos pausing issue. I've played some music on my Z10 via youtube, and when I went to write and email I was pleasantly surprised the my music continued. Beautiful.
    02-25-13 01:41 PM
    Wasn't the conclusion I thought was coming from the title lol. Nice to know someone who has and does use other platforms likes BB10
    Why? Many of us have switched from Android and are happy. I switched from a Nexus 4, which I originally planned on keeping, but I enjoyed the Z10 so much, that I actually sold my Nexus 4 last week. It doesn't matter what you're talking about, you'll always find that the minority is usually the loudest, especially if they have an agenda

I love my Z10 for the same reasons the OP does, and I don't miss Android at all. Though I do miss a few apps like Yelp. Hopefully, those will be coming soon
    DJRikko likes this.
    02-25-13 01:47 PM
    Why? Many of us have switched from Android and are happy. I switched from a Nexus 4, which I originally planned on keeping, but I enjoyed the Z10 so much, that I actually sold my Nexus 4 last week. It doesn't matter what you're talking about, you'll always find that the minority is usually the loudest, especially if they have an agenda
    I think his point was mostly about the specific naming of another device in the title of the topic, most of those posts seem to be moans about why it isn't exactly like the device they used to have rather than either a positive or unbiased set of comments, as you say there are plenty with an agenda.
    02-25-13 02:07 PM
    good multitasking OS, truly uses its dual cores. btw you have the brand new HTC one that was just released last week or an HTC one+? because the HTC one looks identical to Z10 but in aluminum
    02-25-13 03:00 PM
    Glad you love your device!
    02-25-13 03:02 PM
    good multitasking OS, truly uses its dual cores. btw you have the brand new HTC one that was just released last week or an HTC one+? because the HTC one looks identical to Z10 but in aluminum
    My HTC One is 6 months old. To be honest I am not knowledgeable enough about these things to know if it is the one + or not. My IT guy told me at the time it was the top of the line. I know the Android software just updated itself within the last two weeks. Maybe this pic I took with the 10 will help determine which model it is. And don't get me wrong, the HTC is a fantastic phone, but the 10 is a step ahead for the reasons I outlined.
    Attached Thumbnails Coming from Android HTC One to Blackberry 10-htc.jpg  
    02-25-13 03:34 PM
    Yeah, that's the old "One X" from a while back. HTC are just confusing everyone with their backwards trade marking.
    02-25-13 03:42 PM
    Thanks for sharing your experieces..... seems the OP has touched on one of many advantages of true multitasking which many non BB users seen to put down as not needed... working with a mutltalsing OS allows you to truely be more productive... ths is what BB needs tto start emphasizing... not that it multitatasks but what multitaking can actually do for the end user....
    02-25-13 03:55 PM
    Thanks for the post, OP.
    I was a BB guy for years (8300 > 9810) until I switched to a GS3 in Aug, and am very impatiently awaiting the Z10 release on AT&T.
    I really like the S3, but android is just....well....IDK....boring. I absolutely hate the native gmail app & haven't found an email app I like.
    The learning curve getting used to android took a while and some things I still hate.
    I keep searching for comparisons & this is a great one. Thank you
    02-25-13 04:24 PM
    Thanks for sharing your experieces..... seems the OP has touched on one of many advantages of true multitasking which many non BB users seen to put down as not needed... working with a mutltalsing OS allows you to truely be more productive... ths is what BB needs tto start emphasizing... not that it multitatasks but what multitaking can actually do for the end user....

Multitasking is awesome.

the first week i got my z10, i showed off its DLNA capabilities to my friend who has an iphone4s by streaming a video i shot with my phone. he was like thats pretty cool and seemed to be impressed. a couple of days later he comes back to me with an app he found, basically doing media sharing as well. he laughed and said " my phone can do that too" or something along that line. so i went and dialed his number and gave him a call. and so his video streaming stopped. i then proceeded to play a video off my phone and then called his number and asked him if it can do THIS.

fun times. BB should probably make a commercial like that haha.
    02-25-13 05:23 PM
    I'm in a gnex now I don't know what constant crashes you guys are talking about. I'm super excited for the z10 to get released here in the states though. Should be exciting to be back on a bb after leaving my 9930 behind. I've been on bb since the 8330 haha
    02-25-13 05:24 PM
    QNX can only function with multiple processors and that is why the legacy devices can't run QNX. The neutrino micro kernel can do more with two processors than android can do with 4.
    02-25-13 05:34 PM
    QNX can only function with multiple processors and that is why the legacy devices can't run QNX. The neutrino micro kernel can do more with two processors than android can do with 4.
    LOL. Alrighty.

BTW, there are a couple of ways to play Youtube in the background on Android, but it seems OP has truly found a device that fits him.

Question for the RIM: does Z10 have contact management that still syncs with online clients?
    02-25-13 05:50 PM
    Ok someone explain "OP". I hope it doesn't mean old person does it? Lol. How cruel.
    crazeee4u and Camelhmpz like this.
    02-25-13 06:37 PM
    Ok someone explain "OP". I hope it doesn't mean old person does it? Lol. How cruel.
    LOL. Original poster.
    02-25-13 06:41 PM
    @bbuser125...thank you for sharing your impressions and observations with the blackberry community.
    You've nailed it.
    Cheers...

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 09:20 PM
    LOL. Alrighty.

BTW, there are a couple of ways to play Youtube in the background on Android, but it seems OP has truly found a device that fits him.

Question for the RIM: does Z10 have contact management that still syncs with online clients?
    LOL. Too bad one of those ways isn't simply to multitask to something else while it's playing, but instead you actually have to waste another step or two to accomplish this same task...
    DJRikko likes this.
    02-25-13 09:35 PM
    LOL. Too bad one of those ways isn't simply to multitask to something else while it's playing, but instead you actually have to waste another step or two to accomplish this same task...
    Agreed. The extra step is unfortunate and maybe non-optimal. Fortunately for Android OS stock users, putting video in the background does not seem to be too common of a need at this point.
    02-25-13 09:42 PM
    Multitasking is awesome. ... BB should probably make a commercial like that haha.
    02-25-13 09:55 PM
    Other than whatsapp (side load) the phone is great for my working life ( I have around 4 subcontractor exchange email accounts)

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 10:08 PM
    interesting. just sold the htc evo 3d. was a good phone, dual core, good graphics. took amazing pics.

After buying the 9310....I recognized the call clarity immediately. Today I called a female friend of mine

downstate N.Y. had her on speakerphone. I could have sworn that she was in another room. That good!
    02-25-13 10:10 PM
    Multitasking is awesome.

the first week i got my z10, i showed off its DLNA capabilities to my friend who has an iphone4s by streaming a video i shot with my phone. he was like thats pretty cool and seemed to be impressed. a couple of days later he comes back to me with an app he found, basically doing media sharing as well. he laughed and said " my phone can do that too" or something along that line. so i went and dialed his number and gave him a call. and so his video streaming stopped. i then proceeded to play a video off my phone and then called his number and asked him if it can do THIS.

fun times. BB should probably make a commercial like that haha.
    Awesome! This is such a good story. I agree, there should be a commercial kind of like this. Not like the Playbook one that Katesbb posted... that one is cool and all, but it's kinda cold and manufactured I think. You need a situational video to show people multitasking (not that it does it, but why it's important or why they should care).
    Something similar to this video:

02-26-13 12:24 AM
28 12