There is a market for keyboard devices.....it is what it is, people like them!!
    There is a market, a SMALL one, as evidence by low sales. I just think this is a reflection of a bigger problem. It's not that people do or do not want a keyboard phone, its that people do not want a keyboard or touch screen phone from blackberry.

Until BBRY can fix their perception problem it doesn't matter what their phones look like.
    Blomsternisse likes this.
    01-10-14 09:48 AM
    and that is exactly the problem for my colleagues. No BIS = No fast email.
    01-10-14 09:55 AM
    Personally and IMO, I don't buy the ecosystem issue BB10 faces, because it is a brand new platform. This is expected, just like when iPhones were released, they had no ecosystem. This is why marketing and advertising, along with pricing the devices properly would have boosted sales, hence, the ecosystem builds on its own. As for the app shortage, for some reason many companies have stone walled BBRY, not sure why, but absolutely ridiculous.
    At launch there should have been most if not all high profile apps available bar none. This alone would have mitigated the marketing issues and help push out more devices.
    Two companies come to mind, that seem very anti-BBRY, the 1st is Netflix, and the other is Starbucks. Humm, wonder why? There's thousands upon thousands of Q10 business men and women still waiting for a Starbucks app, so they can toss away the plastic? What gives StarBucks?
    I think you are correct in saying that price was a major issue. I bought the Z10 a year ago, and was surprised that it wasn't selling, but I soon realised that BlackBerry needed to pay for the negativity around the brand, and needed to pay for the lack of apps. Someone at HQ should have calculated how much that negativity was worth to a customer - �50? �100? Obviously, there is a point at which quite a few people will give something new a shot despite doubts. A Z10 for �450 instead of �520 would have swayed a lot of people, and would have kept the Z10 out if direct comparisons with the other two flagships. Oh well. At least they now seem to be dumping as many Z10s as possible onto the market at a huge discount. This is a great idea, as word of mouth is powerful. Six friends have bought a Z10 since I bought mine after seeing it.

As for the apps, I think they will come this year. The articles are changing, becoming more positive slowly. I predicted that the BlackBerry is dead thing could only go in so long without being true, and it does seems to be losing steam. If the stock price moves back above 10 and stays there, I think we will see a change of public opinion.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 10:08 AM
    Personally and IMO, I don't buy the ecosystem issue BB10 faces, because it is a brand new platform. This is expected, just like when iPhones were released, they had no ecosystem. This is why marketing and advertising, along with pricing the devices properly would have boosted sales, hence, the ecosystem builds on its own. As for the app shortage, for some reason many companies have stone walled BBRY, not sure why, but absolutely ridiculous.
    Part of this problem, I think, is that the BB market is too small a percentage of the market to justify development costs (to the companies). Even though more apps will help increase the market share. It's something of a vicious squircle.

Okay, now you're just going too far lol. What do you mean by 'virtual'? Are you suggesting the Z10 keyboard I'm writing on isn't real? Lol
    It's a figment of our collective imaginations...

But technically it isn't a "real" keyboard no, it's an image made to resemble a keyboard. The image doesn't need to be there for the input to work - it could be a blank screen or a picture of a hippopotamus - it's only there for us to be able to use it. Admittedly a hippo keyboard would be easier to differential from a qwerty keyboard. Maybe that's the way forward?
    Last edited by SteveLawUK; 01-10-14 at 12:09 PM.
    01-10-14 11:58 AM
    I am still not entirely sold on the accuracy, but that is good news. Admittedly, I don't like people overhearing what I'm writing/saying. Try dictating on public transportation. I bet you'll find a sure fire way to get yourself jumped. ;-)
    Yes, a little common sense as to when it is appropriate helps, but physical entry of info I believe is on the wane and not the future of device communication.
    01-10-14 12:00 PM
    Part of this problem, I think, is that the BB market is too small a percentage of the market to justify development costs (to the companies). Even though more apps will help increase the market share. It's something of a vicious squircle.

It's a figment of our collective imaginations...

But technically it isn't a "real" keyboard no, it's an image made to resemble a keyboard. The image doesn't need to be there for the keyboard to work - it could be a blank screen or a picture of a hippopotamus - it's only there for us to be able to use it. Admittedly a hippo keyboard would be easier to differential from a qwerty keyboard. Maybe that's the way forward?
    Ah, well, that all depends on your definition of a keyboard

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 12:15 PM
    Agree
    Not interested in a physical keyboard
    01-10-14 12:24 PM
    Your opinion. Ever seen an office PC with a glass keyboard? Some things are just better left alone: enterprise and the physical keyboard can not be beat - speak to any CEO.
    Let me see if I have this correct: I'm going to discredit your opinion with what is really only my opinion. Then I'm going to throw a non-sequitur in there...let's say, oh I don't know "ask any CEO" which will bolster my argument and take it from just my opinion to fact. Yes - seems like the perfect plan. Lol. I see what you did there.
    01-10-14 12:45 PM
    A State of the Art slider would make both sides happy... But it has to be a Game-Changer, not a BB10 torch... A slider that is as good to text as a 9900/Q10, and has the screen size between the Z10 and Z30.... something slick and modern.
    I agree Q10 keys / typing experience and maybe a 4.5" screen of 1080p variety and premium construction with unique features within a relativly slim slider body is what the next flagship should be

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-10-14 12:56 PM
    Maybe Blackberry should team up with these and offer the middle ground as well: Tactus Technology
    01-10-14 01:10 PM
    There is a market, a SMALL one, as evidence by low sales.
    BlackBerry basically owns this market. But yeah, it's "tens of millions" in size, not "billions". A niche that's too big to ignore for them, but not something that will lead to major growth.

It's not that people do or do not want a keyboard phone, its that people do not want a keyboard or touch screen phone from blackberry.
    If people didn't want a keyboard phone from BlackBerry, they'd be getting a keyboard phone from somewhere else. No one makes one that moves in any volume.
    01-10-14 01:27 PM
    Definitely a good point, but it's also a bit of a blanket statement. For example, there are stories of PlayBook game developers recouping their costs in a day or two even though that market was really, really small ... because the costs of porting a game to the PlayBook was so finite that it was silly not to do it.
    01-10-14 01:29 PM
    Definitely a good point, but it's also a bit of a blanket statement. For example, there are stories of PlayBook game developers recouping their costs in a day or two even though that market was really, really small ... because the costs of porting a game to the PlayBook was so finite that it was silly not to do it.
    Oh I'm not saying that that they are right in thinking BB is not worth the development but I do think that that is their thinking. "It's not a very big market, and looks like it will only get smaller, let's not waste our time or money."

Did they port these games from other BB devices or from IOS/Droid?

(Edit: I'm also not a big app user I'm just thinking of the iSheep out there.)
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-10-14 01:35 PM
    At launch there should have been most if not all high profile apps available bar none. This alone would have mitigated the marketing issues and help push out more devices.
    Two companies come to mind, that seem very anti-BBRY, the 1st is Netflix, and the other is Starbucks. Humm, wonder why? There's thousands upon thousands of Q10 business men and women still waiting for a Starbucks app, so they can toss away the plastic? What gives StarBucks?
    For the potential customer it doesn't matter why the apps aren't there. The reason people aren't s writing apps is because it doesn't sell enough to brr worth it. But comparing to the situation with Apple 2007 is very faulty logic. It isn't 2007. BlackBerry isn't competing with itself in 2007, nor Apple in 2007. they are competing against very well d developed app and ecosystem environments and are way behind. Customers don't care why.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    SteveLawUK likes this.
    01-10-14 02:22 PM
    Customers don't care why, but they also won't care why they have switched back if it becomes cool again to do so. You need to go for the trailblazers, and make it not uncool to be a BlackBerry person again. I don't think that's going to be as hard as some think. A successful BBM will mean a BlackBerry logo on millions and millions of Apple and Android phones and people will not longer look at the company with revulsion.

More sales will bring more apps and everything will sort itself out. So long as BlackBerry don't stop bringing better and better touch phones and stay in the game, everything will be just damn fine in three years or less.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 02:41 PM
    But, but... if you make BlackBerry cool and popular I'm going to have to switch to a Windows phone! *sobs*

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 02:51 PM
    If BlackBerry's next high-end quarty looks anything like this.....sign me up!

Edge to edge screen and basically a Z30 with a keyboard. That's hotness!

Attachment 237178

Posted via CB10
    That is one beautiful device!
    Keith
    01-10-14 04:53 PM
    That is one beautiful device!
    Keith
    It looks good on the screen, but we would need to see how such a phone would actually feel in the hand. I want to see how a Q phone with a huge screen will balance.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 05:01 PM
    The Market is touchscreen see the market and you will see 99% is a touchscreen smartphone. To bring out every 9 month a quality qwerty around 400 euro/500 dollar is a good idea.

But focus on touchscreen all smallbusiness between 1-50 people using samsung or apple and no qwerty and believe me there are more small business to find then enterprises. So they must build every 6 months a cheap phone and 1 high end phone every 6 months just dont produce to much but keep them coming.

The big problem is that 90% doesn't know that Blackberry has a new OS en that they have full touchscreen devices.

The big failure from a communication company with the best social media phone that they don't know how to tell people what BBOS10 is and what they sell at the moment.
    Last edited by whatsever; 01-10-14 at 05:23 PM.
    01-10-14 05:08 PM
    It would indeed be interesting to hear from mobile phone salespeople in here. Anyway, this article caught my attention. The author is a *********, but, still, the part about the physical keyboard is correct. Chen, don't make that mistake again mate! No one gives a damn about physical keyboards other than the CEOs you speak to. That is a VERY small market. Of course BlackBerry should put forward top quality Q phones, but the emphasis in those over touchscreen phones is a jump back into the bog!

http://m.infoworld.com/d/mobile-tech...59.hvlgDPf86U4

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 05:20 PM
    Another here that will be switching to another brand if there's no new full touchscreen when I'm ready to change from my Z10.

I have absolutely no desire to be squinting at a tiny screen, and typing on an antiquated physical keyboard, ever again.

Visit Geek Lite C00123875
    01-10-14 06:57 PM
    Another here that will be switching to another brand if there's no new full touchscreen when I'm ready to change from my Z10.

I have absolutely no desire to be squinting at a tiny screen, and typing on an antiquated physical keyboard, ever again.

Same here, unfortunately. Until I'm sixty or older, or have arthritic hands, I have no want of a blasted keyboard phone. Millions and millions of folks are bound to feel the same way, I'm afraid. Deep down, I don't think Chen is actually serious though. Surely not...?

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 07:57 PM
    I'm not sure if anyone here has figured it out sadly... the keyboard market and the full touch market are different markets. Neither is superior although 1 might be better at a specific task. We can debate the merits of either. Personally, I love them both, but for different reasons.

From a business perspective, BlackBerry has the clear winners in the physical keyboard market. There is a loyal fan base for their phones in the full touch arena but far from market dominance.

Chen recognizes that he needs to rebuild from a strength. There's no question that the BB10 full touch experience is awesome; the problem is that only a small segment of the full touch market accepts that. I don't think I need to describe BlackBerry 's position in the physical keyboard market.

It's obvious that he wants to maintain the competitive edge BlackBerry has earned in the full keyboard arena. That makes sense. I also expect him to continue enhancing full touch devices. That also also makes sense. Stopping development on either line would be foolish. Launching a gazillion devices to suit every fetish would also be foolish.

Personally I'm hoping for a market shattering slider or similar concept with optional keyboard. Done properly, it will bridge the gap and blow away the competition.

Keep it up Chen!

P.S. My dad can beat up your dad
    01-10-14 10:27 PM
    I frankly don't think this Chen guy has a clear picture of what happened in the last year.

It's not that people aren't accepting how good the Z10 & Z30 are. It's that people don't know what the Z10 & Z30 are.

It's been shown, just on these forums, over and over, how poorly these phones have been marketed in the U.S. Poorly marketed by carriers, retailers, and by BlackBerry itself.

People in the States that don't believe that just need to do a little experiment. Go to your place of work, or gym, or wherever you can strike up conversations with people. Ask 5 or 10 random people if they know that BlackBerry released two fully touchscreen phones last year. I don't even need to feel iffy when I say that 99.9% of the people that try it will find that NO ONE they ask will have the slightest clue what the Z10 & 30 are.

The answer isn't turning away from what is clearly the vast majority of their potential customers, in favour of hoping to grow in what is an ever shrinking segment of those that prefer physical keyboards.

The answer is keep developing touchscreen devices as well, ensure you're putting out a reliable device of high quality, produce less, market better.

01-10-14 11:56 PM
    Do these guys do market research?

Given the quality of modern touchscreen keypads and a desire to browse and use apps I cant believe there is much of a market for physical keyboards and tiny screens.

In my experience company's are fazing out old curves and bolds as fast as they can.
    Your lack of need or appreciation for a physical keyboard does not mean those of us who prefer it are not an important market for BlackBerry 10 smartphones.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    01-11-14 01:53 AM
239 ... 678910