What about this

Maybe a bit tall, but -- the point is -- I will never sacrifice screen real estate for a keyboard again.

Attachment 237201
    I agree. The big screen has got to stay. I don't know about that concept phone, simply because of the height, but perhaps a high end Z30 sized slider? I don't know.

To be honest, I wonder what a Q10 improvement would look like, other than making it a bit bigger.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 01:54 AM
    Have we had enough of this stuff about flatscreen phones and whatever else being for little girls? I thought we had turned a corner there...i don't think anyone would argue that qwerty (yes, I know they are all qwerty! ) phones should go. the argument is that we really must have a full touch device in 2014 to replace the Z10. I simply don't want a physical qwerty - I've tried the Q10, and I can type much faster on the Z, and I want a big screen. Anyway, hopefully we will get what we want. I'm happy waiting until next Christmas for a Z10 replacement seeing as the Z30 is out.

Posted via CB10
    I think he is just saying (in a very round about way) that keyboard phones are not considered "cool" these days.

CB10 : Z10 STL100-3 10.2.0.1803
    01-09-14 01:54 AM
    Does anyone know what the definition of 'predominantly' is? How about 'only'? Because I assure you, they are different.
    "Predominantly" out of the 4 BB10 models released this year equals 1 full touch device, the Jakarta. "Predominantly" out of 5 BB10 models equals 2 full touch devices at most.

Here are the scenarios:
    1/ 5 or 6 models and 2 touch screens
    2/ 5 or 6 models and 1 touch screen
    3/ 3 or 4 models and 1 touch screen
    4/ >6 models

7 or 8 new models is completely superfluous at this point. Based on the current demand of BB10 devices and the size of the current 2013 Blackberry lineup, the likeliness that Jakarta is the only all touch BB10 device in 2014 is higher than 50% based on the definition of "predominantly".
    01-09-14 01:57 AM
    "Predominantly" out of the 4 BB10 models released this year equals 1 full touch device, the Jakarta. "Predominantly" out of 5 BB10 models equals 2 full touch devices at most.

Here are the scenarios:
    1/ 5 or 6 models and 2 touch screens
    2/ 5 or 6 models and 1 touch screen
    3/ 3 or 4 models and 1 touch screen
    4/ >6 models

7 or 8 new models is completely superfluous at this point. Based on the current demand of BB10 devices and the size of the current 2013 Blackberry lineup, the likeliness that Jakarta is the only all touch BB10 device in 2014 is higher than 50% based on the definition of "predominantly".
    IMO, I will try to translate what Chen said: in the next 18 months we will focus on enterprise so we will make a high end Q series keyboard phone and it will be done by BlackBerry in our own factories. We will also do a release a low- end product and it will be all touch and it will be done by Foxconn. At least this is how I see it.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    01-09-14 02:28 AM
    We understand that. Our complaint is that they are apparently not planning another high end all touch devices for 18 months. That means if Chen's plan doesn't work the very last high end all touch BlackBerry might be the z30 and if the worst is going to happen we would all like to see a better bb10 all touch handset prior to it happening.

Posted via CB10
    There was only 2 high-end touch devices in the pipe before Chen anyway. I'm sure you'll see at least one of them.
    manonthemoon likes this.
    01-09-14 02:45 AM
    I still want to see a high end slider. If BlackBerry is going to focus on high end devices then they might as well go all out.

Kick *** full screen slider no nonsense BB10 is what I will get me to upgrade from my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann and Sexy Sadie like this.
    01-09-14 02:54 AM
    The physical keyboard is currently a niche product, so I don't think Chen would stop making virtual keyboard phones. That wouldn't make a lot of business sense in my opinion since many people like the larger screens. Also many of the younger generation don't have a problem with virtual keyboards on their phones, so I don't know how much longer physical keyboards will be around.

It is good for BlackBerry to keep making Q10 replacements, but the question I want to know is when will they replace the Z30 or Z10?

Since the Z30 is still fairly recent, it just sounds like the physical keyboard phone is the next phone due for replacement. The Z30 or Z10 replacement will probably come after that. The bad news for people who like the Z30/Z10 is that it seems like it will be a long wait for another flagship virtual keyboard phone.
    01-09-14 03:05 AM
    A lot of my colleagues have a mental link that says the "old" BlackBerrys are the fastest mobile email tools on the planet. These guys think the touch devices like the Z10 and Z30 have no BIS and therefore they think they are slow on email. Generally having seen no Q10 / Q5 the guys are generally in favour of BlackBerrys with buttons because of the BIS email account refresh speed.
    01-09-14 04:43 AM
    A lot of my colleagues have a mental link that says the "old" BlackBerrys are the fastest mobile email tools on the planet. These guys think the touch devices like the Z10 and Z30 have no BIS and therefore they think they are slow on email. Generally having seen no Q10 / Q5 the guys are generally in favour of BlackBerrys with buttons because of the BIS email account refresh speed.
    BB10 doesn't use BIS.
    01-09-14 06:39 AM
    Ubuntu here I come if I do not see a high end full screen phone this year. It is bad enough not having a updated tablet.
    If the focus for BlackBerry in the short term is going to be enterprise customers consider two factors:

1. For enterprises with BES10, what's been the sell rate of the Q10 as opposed to the Z series?
    2. Why are consumer users complaining about what will be marketed as an enterprise device?
    01-09-14 06:57 AM
    I don't think he is going to ignore these reports which point to the Z10 being the most used BlackBerry 10 device. BlackBerry Z10 is the BlackBerry 10 model most in use Predominately doesn't mean solely and who knows maybe he saying stuff to gauge the BlackBerry User's of the world reaction to it. Patience Danielsons!! Progress may mean hardship for a while. That being said I would be content with a Z30 on AT&T the rest of the year!!
    01-09-14 07:15 AM
    I don't see how Chen's comment is bad for BlackBerry. Come up with a QWERTY with a 4.5" IPS 460 ppi screen with balanced weight across the Phone with light premium materials and you have a cracking winner
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    01-09-14 07:20 AM
    Your opinion. Ever seen an office PC with a glass keyboard? Some things are just better left alone: enterprise and the physical keyboard can not be beat - speak to any CEO.

STL 100-1 OS 10.2.1.1925
    My CEO uses a touchscreen-based phone and loves it. What should I say when I speak to him?
    01-09-14 07:21 AM
    I don't think he is going to ignore these reports which point to the Z10 being the most used BlackBerry 10 device. BlackBerry Z10 is the BlackBerry 10 model most in use Predominately doesn't mean solely and who knows maybe he saying stuff to gauge the BlackBerry User's of the world reaction to it. Patience Danielsons!! Progress may mean hardship for a while. That being said I would be content with a Z30 on AT&T the rest of the year!!
    Haha. I am also happy to upgrade to the Z30 in a few months, and hang onto that until the next flagship touch.

Posted via CB10
    manonthemoon likes this.
    01-09-14 07:23 AM
    I don't see how Chen's comment is bad for BlackBerry. Come up with a QWERTY with a 4.5" IPS 460 ppi screen with balanced weight across the Phone with light premium materials and you have a cracking winner
    A winner for some. For most people, the physical keyboard is just a waste of space that could be used to watch a movie.

Posted via CB10
    manonthemoon likes this.
    01-09-14 07:24 AM
    A winner for some. For most people, the physical keyboard is just a waste of space that could be used to watch a movie.

Posted via CB10
    But if it's screen size that matters why do kazillions buy that other phone with a 4" screen when I'm suggesting a 4.5"?
    01-09-14 07:29 AM
    My CEO uses a touchscreen-based phone and loves it. What should I say when I speak to him?
    OK, you are probably right. I can't say all CEOs. Let me rephrase and say the ones I deal with.

STL 100-1 OS 10.2.1.1925
    01-09-14 07:35 AM
    Does one need a larger screen than Z30? Chen is correct to focus on Q phones.
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    01-09-14 07:39 AM
    Does one need a larger screen than Z30? Chen is correct to focus on Q phones.
    But I really would like a successor to the Z30, 5' inch, 1080p, removable battery, 32 GB internal storage. Would be awesome!
    01-09-14 07:49 AM
    Give me a raise or you can GFY?!

J/K - I work for one of the big 3 in Canada and we have a lot of VP's and directors that have made the switch from BlackBerry to iPhone and I hear the same thing come out of their mouth all the time. "I wish I had upgraded to a BlackBerry! " When I ask why they exclaim the iPhone is a good phone but that they miss their typing experience on a keyboard and how communications are handled overall. But now they're stuck with that phone until our company upgrade period is up again.

I on the other hand wasn't having it and walked into one of our corporate retail stores and upgraded to a Z10 day 1 back in February. Best thing I ever did as this phone for my needs has been nothing short of amazing.

Posted via CB10
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    01-09-14 07:58 AM
    The Q10 did as good as the Z10 did
    Source?
    01-09-14 08:12 AM
    Do these guys do market research?

Given the quality of modern touchscreen keypads and a desire to browse and use apps I cant believe there is much of a market for physical keyboards and tiny screens.

In my experience company's are fazing out old curves and bolds as fast as they can.
    Drew808 likes this.
    01-09-14 10:21 AM
    Obviously some people prefer the Q phones. Most people prefer the Z phones. BlackBerry, DON'T STOP MAKING Z PHONES. FULL STOP.

Honestly, I'm thinking deep down that Chen isn't that dumb. The qwerty thing nearly killed BlackBerry. Going back to that as a primary focus is crazy.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 10:25 AM
    IMO, I will try to translate what Chen said: in the next 18 months we will focus on enterprise so we will make a high end Q series keyboard phone and it will be done by BlackBerry in our own factories. We will also do a release a low- end product and it will be all touch and it will be done by Foxconn. At least this is how I see it.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, but why do most statements coming out of BBRY HQ require translation? They seem to have a real issue with clear, concise communication for some reason.
    m1kr0 likes this.
    01-09-14 10:27 AM
    OK, you are probably right. I can't say all CEOs. Let me rephrase and say the ones I deal with.

STL 100-1 OS 10.2.1.1925
    I wasn't trying to be flippant. I think this perception that there's a sort of "Blackberry Man" who's always high up in a company and is never interested in anything except communication and business is in large part what led to the company's downfall. They made the mistake of thinking that their constituency was absolutely separate and inviolate, and they couldn't have been more wrong. Turns out CEOs like to play Angry Birds or Words with Friends from time to time! By the time BB found this out, it was too late. The Z10 and Z30 were consequently nothing more than bit players in an already crowded market with no unique selling point that anyone cared about and plenty of disadvantages.
    01-09-14 10:40 AM
239 ... 23456 ...