Hey, I love keyboard phones. Heck, I had a torch previously.
    But to stay in the game of making profit, BlackBerry need to please general users.
    They want a touch screen phone with easy to flip input language from Chinese to Arabic to English at a flip of a button. Not a specifically built qwerty keyboard phone made for specific language.
    This will kill the profits.
    When I was using my 9800, most of the time I used virtual kb more than physical because of this. I type in Arabic font sometimes and English all the time.
    Switching input button on a virtual kb is so easy that this same product could be sell everywhere.. irregardless of language barrier.
    This explains why Samsung is making money with their touchscreen phones EVERYWHERE.

They need to come out with more and more touchscreen and just a few qwerty kb for enterprise.

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10
    01-08-14 10:18 PM
    If BlackBerry's next high-end quarty looks anything like this.....sign me up!

Edge to edge screen and basically a Z30 with a keyboard. That's hotness!

Chen Had Better Be Joking About Focusing on Qwerty...-crackberry-image.jpg

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 10:26 PM
    There are very few things BlackBerry could do to get me to switch to another ecosystem but not producing a high end touch screen device in house would be one of those things.

Posted via CB10
    I feel the same. Luckily, this has NOT been stated by Mr. Chen or anyone else for that matter.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 10:26 PM
    It seems he is focused on qwerty, but I hope not at the expense of zero new all touch screen devices. I could not go back to a qwerty as my daily device as I really enjoy the larger screen size. And, I agree that he will lose another generation of users who could not care less about a physical keyboard. Most younger consumers have cut their teeth on full touch devices.
    Aww come on, you got the Z10 and Z30 now it's our turn to get something Q30 ish lol
    01-08-14 10:27 PM
    Does anyone know what the definition of 'predominantly' is? How about 'only'? Because I assure you, they are different.
    mnc76, manonthemoon, xBURK and 1 others like this.
    01-08-14 10:29 PM
    If BlackBerry's next high-end quarty looks anything like this.....sign me up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	237178

Posted via CB10
    Yep, I'm not looking for a physical keyboard, but this just looks like a must have. Now, if the screen was a bit longer, I'd bet BlackBerry would have a huge seller on its hand. (It could compete against the Apple/Typo combo) Thanks for the concept photo. Amazing

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 10:33 PM
    Does anyone know what the definition of 'predominantly' is? How about 'only'? Because I assure you, they are different.
    Exactly. Thank You!

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 10:35 PM
    ....what are we arguing about again? a quote that may have impl;ied where the focus of a struggling company maybe...but did it rule out ANY hope of us not seeing a new all touch? Why cant we wait before hitting the BB rant button?
    01-08-14 10:41 PM
    We understand that. Our complaint is that they are apparently not planning another high end all touch devices for 18 months. That means if Chen's plan doesn't work the very last high end all touch BlackBerry might be the z30 and if the worst is going to happen we would all like to see a better bb10 all touch handset prior to it happening.

Posted via CB10
    Camelhmpz likes this.
    01-08-14 10:41 PM
    There will always be a market for QWERTY phones. The Q10 is an AWESOME device. I have one as my work phone and it is absolutely the BEST device I have used for my line of work over using a iPhone 4. It's good to see BlackBerry sticking to its roots. I will always rock one in some shape, way or form.

I rock a Z30 now. Came from: Z10, 9900, 9700. For my personal life, The Z30 is the right device. Its just awesome. It's an amazing tool that does so much right. And than some.

The Z10 is ultimately the true iPhone killer. Just needs some revisions and they have nailed it entirely.
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    01-08-14 11:35 PM
    Yep. QWERTY phones sell so well Samsung sells tons of them. Oh thats right, they don't.
    Apple? Never have.
    Again a slider might sell well to some.

They need to sell to folks other then the so called "BlackBerry faithful". They have done this and it has hurt them more than many think.
    The QWERTY faithful should be offered something but it is NOT what will save BlackBerry.

CB10 via Verizon Z10. 10.2.1.1925
    eduso likes this.
    01-08-14 11:52 PM
    What about this

Maybe a bit tall, but -- the point is -- I will never sacrifice screen real estate for a keyboard again.

Chen Had Better Be Joking About Focusing on Qwerty...-crackberryimage3.jpg
    Last edited by mnc76; 01-09-14 at 12:22 AM.
    kthhrrsn and xBURK like this.
    01-09-14 12:01 AM
    From being a well known smart CEO, Mr. Chen is probably a good comedian too... but I don't think that he is joking when he said that BlackBerry will focus on QWERTY device...

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 12:02 AM
    What about the people using QWERTZ or AZERTY?

(I call your uptight irritation and raise)
    ASDFGH keyboard.

? CB10 ?
    01-09-14 12:04 AM
    From being a well known smart CEO, Mr. Chen is probably a good comedian too... but I don't think that he is joking when he said that BlackBerry will focus on QWERTY device...

Posted via CB10
    I think we can extrapolate "QWERTY" with "Enterprise" and "Touch" with "Consumer" (as far as what he has said in interviews).

And what he said about Enterprise versus Consumer was that, "if they had only a dollar" to spend, then that dollar would go towards Enterprise (QWERTY) solutions. This doesn't mean they will neglect the Consumer (Touch) space if they have 2 or more dollars to spend though -- just that Enterprise (QWERTY) gets the priority over Consumer (Touch).

This is my interpretation.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    01-09-14 12:07 AM
    What about this

Maybe a bit tall, but -- the point is -- I will never sacrifice screen real estate for a keyboard again.

Attachment 237198
    Something along this line. If they go with the dimension of the Z30, they should be able to couple a 4.0 screen with a QWERTY keyboard and imagine how good it will feel typing on a wide keyboard like that.

? CB10 ?
    01-09-14 12:19 AM
    I totally disagree with the OP. All of the devices that BB has put out without a keyboard is what has caused the mess they are in.

9530= iPhone killer (NOT)
    9850/9860= non existent
    Playbook
    Z10=Billion dollar write down

The only device that hasn't had this affect is the Z30 because no one is carrying it in mass numbers. Bring out a 16x9 qwerty device that has all the latest bells and whistles and specs to match Android devices and people will love it.
    Kris Simundson likes this.
    01-09-14 12:50 AM
    But why are you fellas getting your knickers in a knot about the QWERTY keyboard. You all claim that you love all things BB, so accept it as is.

Some of you enjoyed the Torch 9800 which was Full Touch Screen and keyboard. Are you saying that will all the concept BlackBerrys that have been floating around, can not Chen not decide on any of these concepts?

You fellas rant about anything. Who care if your 15 year old sister does not carry a BB? I think you should focus on having her stay away from teen sex and peer pressure that may cause her to deviate.

Nuff said!!
    Have we had enough of this stuff about flatscreen phones and whatever else being for little girls? I thought we had turned a corner there...i don't think anyone would argue that qwerty (yes, I know they are all qwerty! ) phones should go. the argument is that we really must have a full touch device in 2014 to replace the Z10. I simply don't want a physical qwerty - I've tried the Q10, and I can type much faster on the Z, and I want a big screen. Anyway, hopefully we will get what we want. I'm happy waiting until next Christmas for a Z10 replacement seeing as the Z30 is out.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 12:56 AM
    Chen is not stupid, he will see how things go and alter plans as need be to make the business of BlackBerry function better. In the mean time, the Z30 is a great touch phone (best phone I've ever had). I firmly believe Chen is BlackBerry's best chance at survival, or the possibility of prosperity much more than "just" survival. I believe if he can't do it, no one else can. John Chen believes he can save BlackBerry. So be it. So far John Chen has been superb in my book. Smart Fast Acting and Smooth Talking. I'm going to continue trusting in his leadership, and have some fun watching him make BlackBerry stronger and healthy again. He said he is not expecting BlackBerry to make a profit until 2016. He must have good reason for this. That's 2 years... Naturally it is not going to be easy. After Jakarta the Next Big Phone is going to have a QWERTY. I can live with that. I want to thank you for your commitment, and your intensity John. Keep BlackBerry Moving.
    01-09-14 12:58 AM
    The Q10 did as good as the Z10 did... wich was pretty bad... Z30 isn't doing any wonder, but is certainly a device that is more up to the competition...

Both Z10 and Q10 weren't as good as a 2013 phone should be.... so both sold pretty bad.
    Haha, who says that "the Z10 weren't as good as 2013 phone should be?" ....You? Sales Figures? C'Mon man, BB 10 is better than any iphone out there, and the iphone More than competes and sells like crazy...why? because of what people "think" is the best option. What the media sells as the best, happens everyday. Obviously for some BB10 isn't going to be the best option for their needs, but the Z10 absoLUtely competes with both the Iphone5s and the Samsung S4 without hesitation.

Via The BlackBerry Z10 Experience.
    eduso likes this.
    01-09-14 01:07 AM
    There is an obvious possibility regarding why the top BlackBerry folks would think there is a massive demand for the keyboard qwerty. If you only poll or speak to corporate folks, you are not going to get a good idea of what the people want, because the overwhelming majority of the public are not corporate. The fact that so many have switched the the iphone, and galaxy, shows that touch screen phones sell - who would argue against that?

Anyway, I hope the BlackBerry team aren't so foolish as to take the views of corporate men over 45, and base their device plan on them. Bring out a great qwerty as the next phone by all means, but you'd better have a market topping Z10 replacement for next Christmas.

And for goodness' sake...price the damn phones properly!!! someone tell the folks at BlackBerry to stop asking for people's charity lol. People are not going to buy a new BlackBerry just because they have a soft spot for the company. They need to be tempted back by this next round of phones. How hard is it to just knock �50 off the starting price of the next flagships to help tip people towards BlackBerry over Apple and Samsung? You've got to buy a ticket back into the game, BlackBerry! No one has even heard of the Z30...why bother selling it for �530 in the UK? �475 would have made sense...by pricing it up there with the Galaxy, they are killing themselves at the point of sale.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 01:12 AM
    If BlackBerry is ever going to make a new tablet they should upgrade the current PB with BB10 even if it requires a RAM upgrade. The current PB is the best and the worst tablet.

I agree. I just hope that they don't intend the Jakarta to be the only full touch screen device (if it turns out to be full touch screen).

It's tough, they need to cover most of the user base, but selling enough of each model and keeping costs low is a huge problem. In my mind, once they are more secure, they may need new:

Q5/Z5 - entry <$200
    Z10 (yes)/Q10 (maybe) - "midrange", but flagship quality
    Z30/Q30 - phablet size "flagship"

Then, a tablet with either updated PlayBook OS, or BlackBerry 10 - it'd obviously be called a BlackBerry 10 tablet though, but I really like the PlayBook UI.

This would cover essentially all markets. I out maybe beside the Q10 because I think most, if not all, would go for a larger screened physical keyboard phone.

I think they should have the Jakarta called the next Q5. This also raises the question of what the naming convention will be for each subsequent device. Q5 or Q6? Q5 2? "The new Q5" a la "new iPad"? Or entirely new for each? Switching to actual words (Jakarta)?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 01:13 AM
    OP, they are a publicly held company. And as such, his responsibility is to the shareholders. He should be doing whatever it takes to keep BlackBerry in business... Even if it upsets us "fanboys"
    01-09-14 01:20 AM
    Z10/q10 did not have great sales as bbos phones coz of the high cost. Among other things... it's time for a low cost qwerty device, and get the users on board.

Chen is probably aiming for differentiation, every other phone in the market is a touchscreen.

Posted via Black ZeD on 10.2.1.1925
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    01-09-14 01:44 AM
    OP, they are a publicly held company. And as such, his responsibility is to the shareholders. He should be doing whatever it takes to keep BlackBerry in business... Even if it upsets us "fanboys"
    It's not about 'fanboys', it's about the overwhelming majority of the public. Keyboard qwerty fans are a small minority. They are very important to BlackBerry, and so there should be a phone for them, and the next flagship should indeed be a qwerty, if only to make the Q10 cheaper, but going back to what has been proven unpopular in order to sell more phones doesn't make sense. I'm hoping he knows this, and doesn't actually intend to hold off on a new touchscreen for Christmas 2014.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 01:51 AM
239 12345 ...