This is the only thing I've heard from him that is absolutely mad. I'm fine with him bringing out another Qwerty next, seeing as the Z30 just came out, but not to bring out one flagship flatscreen a year would be utter lunacy.

Some people love the physical keyboard, and of course they should bring out more and better, but the main reason BlackBerry got themselves in this mess was not moving to the full screens. Chen is going to lose a whole generation on consumers if 2014 doesn't see a BlackBerry 10 full screen flagship that can dance with whatever Apple and Samsung deliver.

So, do you guys think he is serious? Have I misunderstood him? Do you disagree with my statement, and think I'm mad? Personally, I love BlackBerry 10, but I have absolutely no interest in physical keyboard, which I actually find slower than the BlackBerry 10 keyboard on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 03:29 PM
    It seems he is focused on qwerty, but I hope not at the expense of zero new all touch screen devices. I could not go back to a qwerty as my daily device as I really enjoy the larger screen size. And, I agree that he will lose another generation of users who could not care less about a physical keyboard. Most younger consumers have cut their teeth on full touch devices.
    fanisk, red72, Breezygirl8 and 5 others like this.
    01-08-14 03:39 PM
    I agree with you, but I don't think he said or implied there wasn't going to be a new touch screen device at some point..

We know already that the imidiate plan is to focus on the enterprise market, and for that a qwerty device makes sense.. but as the year progresses how the device portfolio shapes up is anybody's guess at this point.. When watching the interview you are quoting if you listen carefully his answer to that question was that new devices would be 'predominantly qwerty BUT NOT EXCLUSIVELY' so I'd take that at face value and nothing more, which is to say a higher ratio of qwerty devices to touch devices, but at least one new touch device, maybe more.
    Pilot Prop likes this.
    01-08-14 03:40 PM
    This is the only thing I've heard from him that is absolutely mad. I'm fine with him bringing out another Qwerty next, seeing as the Z30 just came out, but not to bring out one flagship flatscreen a year would be utter lunacy.

Some people love the physical keyboard, and of course they should bring out more and better, but the main reason BlackBerry got themselves in this mess was not moving to the full screens. Chen is going to lose a whole generation on consumers if 2014 doesn't see a BlackBerry 10 full screen flagship that can dance with whatever Apple and Samsung deliver.

So, do you guys think he is serious? Have I misunderstood him? Do you disagree with my statement, and think I'm mad? Personally, I love BlackBerry 10, but I have absolutely no interest in physical keyboard, which I actually find slower than the BlackBerry 10 keyboard on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Your opinion. Ever seen an office PC with a glass keyboard? Some things are just better left alone: enterprise and the physical keyboard can not be beat - speak to any CEO.

STL 100-1 OS 10.2.1.1925
    rotorwrench, KemKev, jrdba and 1 others like this.
    01-08-14 03:44 PM
    Ubuntu here I come if I do not see a high end full screen phone this year. It is bad enough not having a updated tablet.
    DDDS likes this.
    01-08-14 03:52 PM
    I agree. I just hope that they don't intend the Jakarta to be the only full touch screen device (if it turns out to be full touch screen).

It's tough, they need to cover most of the user base, but selling enough of each model and keeping costs low is a huge problem. In my mind, once they are more secure, they may need new:

Q5/Z5 - entry <$200
    Z10 (yes)/Q10 (maybe) - "midrange", but flagship quality
    Z30/Q30 - phablet size "flagship"

Then, a tablet with either updated PlayBook OS, or BlackBerry 10 - it'd obviously be called a BlackBerry 10 tablet though, but I really like the PlayBook UI.

This would cover essentially all markets. I out maybe beside the Q10 because I think most, if not all, would go for a larger screened physical keyboard phone.

I think they should have the Jakarta called the next Q5. This also raises the question of what the naming convention will be for each subsequent device. Q5 or Q6? Q5 2? "The new Q5" a la "new iPad"? Or entirely new for each? Switching to actual words (Jakarta)?

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 03:54 PM
    ... but the main reason BlackBerry got themselves in this mess was not moving to the full screens.
    Well, to be fair, BlackBerry has had touchscreens since Nov 2008 with the first Storm 9500. Then, the Storm 2, then the 9800/9810 (sliders, I know). There was then the all touch 9850/60 all touch and at least one all touch Curve. Last was the first touch/QWERTY hybrid (non-slider) 9900.

But, I agree that BB should not concentrate on just one at the moment. They should have a QWERTY and a touchscreen high-end at the same time. Just keep the manufacturing low initially and ramp up whichever model gets more interest. After all, many executives have been tapping on all these glass slab phones for a while now.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-08-14 04:08 PM
    Yup, yet another brilliant business decision made by BlackBerry.
    Having only one product line seems more logical instead of offering a diverse product portfolio.

Genius, John!!! This is exactly the type of insight that has made BlackBerry so famous in recent years.

Posted via CB10 for BB10
    01-08-14 04:24 PM
    Is it possible that his comment about the next high end device having a physical keyboard might be a hint at a slider? He didn't say it wouldn't be full screen, and I didn't see an "only" in front of keyboard...

Posted via CB10
    THBW, scmcc16, mjdimer and 6 others like this.
    01-08-14 04:34 PM
    I don't mind if they only have one touchscreen device among a few qwerty devices, I get that they keyboard is a biiiiiig selling point for the company.

Personally I will end up not getting a blackberry when my Z dies if there is no newer touchscreen device. I was extremely hesitant to switch away from qwerty, but having done so for a year now I have absolutely no interest in going back. It would be a shame if I had to get a different os when the time comes.
    fanisk, jamierj and Blomsternisse like this.
    01-08-14 04:38 PM
    There is a market for keyboard devices.....it is what it is, people like them!!
    01-08-14 04:40 PM
    Mmmm I had a slider, then the bold 9900 and now a z10, personally I really love the touch now that I have used it for a few months. My 0.02c worth

Z10 / 10.2.1.537
    01-08-14 04:41 PM
    Blackberry is known for Qwerty devices!! It's all good if the company gets back to its older glory!!

Posted via Black ZeD on 10.2.1.1925
    barbarianthemadserb and brout like this.
    01-08-14 04:50 PM
    He just saide he liked QUERTY, and that this year he would be releasing a QUERTY... so what's the big deal? Blackberry has a mid end touch and querty, the Z10 and Q10, but in the high end is only the Z30 but not a Q30... so it makes sense to balance it out...
    moody, Velocitymj, THBW and 1 others like this.
    01-08-14 04:52 PM
    Am I going to be the uptight irritating person that feels the need to point out that virtual keyboards are still qwerty keyboards?

Yes, yes I am.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    01-08-14 04:57 PM
    I would like to see a new Z10 with improved specs as an eventual successor to my current Z10 (I like the current Z10 size). Too be fair thou, we did just get a Z30.....thats not exactly a push over device si it's not like we didn't get an all touch device.

As long as we see a new touch screen sometime after this new high end qwerty coming I'm ok with that. No more than a couple months ago, most of us felt we would never see another device....period

CB10'n it via da Z
    01-08-14 04:58 PM
    A State of the Art slider would make both sides happy... But it has to be a Game-Changer, not a BB10 torch... A slider that is as good to text as a 9900/Q10, and has the screen size between the Z10 and Z30.... something slick and modern.
    01-08-14 05:02 PM
    But why are you fellas getting your knickers in a knot about the QWERTY keyboard. You all claim that you love all things BB, so accept it as is.

Some of you enjoyed the Torch 9800 which was Full Touch Screen and keyboard. Are you saying that will all the concept BlackBerrys that have been floating around, can not Chen not decide on any of these concepts?

You fellas rant about anything. Who care if your 15 year old sister does not carry a BB? I think you should focus on having her stay away from teen sex and peer pressure that may cause her to deviate.

Nuff said!!
    THBW and Norg like this.
    01-08-14 05:07 PM
    Why do we need another touchscreen device this year, what's wrong with the Z10 and Z30? Surely you don't want BlackBerry to cook up another $1bn writedown on unsold devices. If it's about specs then who cares how many cores or gigs you have. Sell off the remaining Z10 inventory.
    siddharth, mrsmumbles and THBW like this.
    01-08-14 05:12 PM
    Why do we need another touchscreen device this year, what's wrong with the Z10 and Z30? Surely you don't want BlackBerry to cook up another $1bn writedown on unsold devices. If it's about specs then who cares how many cores or gigs you have. Sell off the remaining Z10 inventory.
    By the end of 2014 I will be needing a new phone.
    By then the z30 is over a year old. Both will be dated. I would expect one touch device a year to remain current.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    01-08-14 05:16 PM
    I was always using Qwerty BBY but after using first the Storm I never came back.
    The reason is that I need the biggest possible screen. With the Z10 and today with the Z30 I can write as fast or even faster as with the qwerty keyboard.
    The reason the BBY failed is that they were too late in launching a real touch screen phone, to my point of view this was the 9860 and not the storm neither the torch.
    Of course the priority now is for them is to launch a high end qwerty since they have already the Z30, I don't think that they will ever abandon the touch screen market.
    01-08-14 05:34 PM
    He just saide he liked QUERTY, and that this year he would be releasing a QUERTY... so what's the big deal? Blackberry has a mid end touch and querty, the Z10 and Q10, but in the high end is only the Z30 but not a Q30... so it makes sense to balance it out...
    Releasing a QUERTY phone would be the end of BBRY. No one would ever get used to the W being moved.
    01-08-14 05:49 PM
    Am I going to be the uptight irritating person that feels the need to point out that virtual keyboards are still qwerty keyboards?

Yes, yes I am.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    What about the people using QWERTZ or AZERTY?

(I call your uptight irritation and raise)
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    01-08-14 05:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    I wonder how much they are planning to sell of the Qwerty? People are getting used to not using the keyboard either through touch or voice.
    Last edited by nabil114; 01-08-14 at 07:14 PM.
    01-08-14 05:57 PM
    There is a market for keyboard devices.....it is what it is, people like them!!
    Really? Where are those people? I keep reading posts about qwerty smartphones are what BlackBerry fans want, however the sales of Q10 or Q5 don't show that. If qwerty smartphones was what people want, Android and iPhone phones wouldn't be selling like hot cakes.
    01-08-14 06:00 PM
239 123 ...