Hi. Having in mind all issues with battery sync with other chargers, the question is: can I charge z10 with legacy device (9780, 9300) wall charger?

Won't it mess up the battery life?

Posted via CB10 on my superb Z10 which PWNZ any android
    11-22-13 02:23 PM
    It will charge without risk to your equipment. Depending on the charger's rating (mA) it might be a bit slow to charge, but it won't do any harm.
    11-22-13 02:39 PM
    Hi. Having in mind all issues with battery sync with other chargers, the question is: can I charge z10 with legacy device (9780, 9300) wall charger?

Won't it mess up the battery life?

Not particularly
    11-22-13 02:40 PM
    Cool
    Now got 3 BlackBerry chargers and at least 2 usb cables with BlackBerry logo

So as far as it has BlackBerry logo it is safe to use

11-22-13 02:41 PM
    Not particularly
    What not particularly? Won't mess up or cannot charge?

11-22-13 02:42 PM
    I use legacy fast charger for both Z10 and Q 10, never with issues, and the best part is when I travel I change the contact of the charger and travel more easily

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 02:49 PM
    I use a variety of cables and chargers including:

* A generic micro USB dock from a �1 shop
    * A Samsung S3 charger
    * A range of generic USB cables from various shops including Poundland
    * An Anker rechargeable battery pack

There was one generic cable that did not work - it made the phone instantly shut down - but it works with my 9800 and it's dock.

I tried a Jabra (bluetooth headset) charger and it would jot charge.

Hope this helps!

Posted Using CB10 - Z10 "-2" on the Vodafone UK Network
    11-22-13 02:50 PM
    I use legacy fast charger for both Z10 and Q 10, never with issues, and the best part is when I travel I change the contact of the charger and travel more easily

Posted via CB10
    How do I see that charger is fast charger?

11-22-13 02:52 PM
    Read the charger's label and look at the output rating to see the maximum output current the charger can sustain. Lowest common denominator (for a USB plug output) is 500mA (0.5A), you will also find 7-800 mA, 1000mA, 2000mA in order of increasing maximum output and potentially speed of charging. Your phone will control the actual charging current, up to the maximum available from the charger so it won't matter if you connect a charger with higher rating than the phone will accept. the charging rate will be the lower of (phone's demand, OR charger's maximum output). If you connect a 2000mA charger to a phone which wants only 800mA the phone will take 800mA and the spare 1200mA ability is ignored.
    11-22-13 08:16 PM
    This is a fast charger this is the first that come with every devices
    Charging Z10 with legacy charger?-img_13800559.jpg

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 08:26 PM
    ok. I got the original chargers which came with Bold 9780 and Curve 9300 - the head is the same as seen in picture above.

Anyway, I feel quite comfortable with my battery life as it lasts more than 1 day. so I can always charge at home...

the only concern was the Threads in CB where people complained that their batteries and devices became out of sync... BUT as far as i can see, this problem persists to STL100-1 devices only.
    11-25-13 08:53 AM
    So... I have three chargers: a/c that came with the phone and an a/c for my Kindle. The Kindle has a bit more output and does seem to charge a bit faster -- but -- I only use it to charge my second battery (bundle). Then I have a stock d/c charger for my car. All these work... however I was using a higher output d/c charger (non-stock, car) and it would cause my phone to restart. I was also having issues with the stock cable that came with my a/c charger. The first time I had issues I stopped using the chargers until sorted. So if you're using any charger and getting restarts, etc. Chuck it.
    11-25-13 09:07 AM
    ok. I got the original chargers which came with Bold 9780 and Curve 9300 - the head is the same as seen in picture above.

Anyway, I feel quite comfortable with my battery life as it lasts more than 1 day. so I can always charge at home...

the only concern was the Threads in CB where people complained that their batteries and devices became out of sync... BUT as far as i can see, this problem persists to STL100-1 devices only.
    Yep, I used once my nexus 7 charger, totally ****ed up my battery, it would die on 70%
    But im not sure if it was lasting less, or normally, or maybe just not calibrated with the percentage.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 09:21 AM
    I am using my Windows Phone Nokia to charge my Z10. No issues.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 09:53 AM
    Yep, I used once my nexus 7 charger, totally ****ed up my battery, it would die on 70%
    But im not sure if it was lasting less, or normally, or maybe just not calibrated with the percentage.

Posted via CB10
    was it STL100-1?
    11-25-13 10:22 AM
    Over the years we have collected a variety of BB chargers and micro USB cords …. we charge from computers and other devices, as well as from wall outlets - never (yet) had an issue with any cord.

Has anyone tried charging the Z10 with a playbook dock?

There is one which claims to be a rapid charger for the playbook … looks like it would also be a cool bedside dock for my Z10.
    11-25-13 10:42 AM
    Over the years we have collected a variety of BB chargers and micro USB cords . we charge from computers and other devices, as well as from wall outlets - never (yet) had an issue with any cord.

Has anyone tried charging the Z10 with a playbook dock?

There is one which claims to be a rapid charger for the playbook looks like it would also be a cool bedside dock for my Z10.
    You can use the standard PlayBook Charger with the Z10, and it will charge the phone faster.

You can not use the rapid charger or the dock. The Z10 doesn't have a connector for the magnetic plug.

Posted via CB10
    2cats1dog likes this.
    11-25-13 10:47 AM
    You can use the standard PlayBook Charger with the Z10, and it will charge the phone faster.

You can not use the rapid charger or the dock. The Z10 doesn't have a connector for the magnetic plug.

Posted via CB10
    The playbook charger is awesome. It's the only one I use. Very fast charge. Used it from day one without issue. Plus it has the extra length so you can charhe it on a night stand etc.

Posted via CB10
    EchoesFX likes this.
    11-25-13 11:04 AM
    was it STL100-1?
    Yep,
    I've heard its a STL100-1 problem

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 11:41 AM
    Over the years we have collected a variety of BB chargers and micro USB cords …. we charge from computers and other devices, as well as from wall outlets - never (yet) had an issue with any cord.
    The thing everyone needs to remember about microUSB chargers is that they are pretty much built to a standard set of rules. Leaving aside the possibility of a technical failure they WILL maintain a regulated 5V output, up to the maximum rated output current. In simple terms all they are is a constant voltage power supply to provide a charging current which is controlled BY THE PHONE. Even the specially wired fast-charge cables don't do anything special, except signal to the phone (by linking two of the USB lines) that the supply is a higher capacity charger.

The concept is really simple, charging takes place at a rate governed by the most restrictive choke point which is usually the phone's control circuit. If the phone is requesting more than the charger can supply the charger becomes the limiting choke point. The best analogy is a water pipe with a control valve (constriction), supplied by a pump running at fixed speed. If the valve is part closed it controls the rate of flow (current). If the valve is fully open it can allow more flow than the pump can supply, and the pressure in the pipe (voltage) drops.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-25-13 09:53 PM