I know that there have been posts like this before, but my cousin who repairs phones says that you shouldn't leave your phone charged overnight. Can someone with evidence prove the contrary? For now i just take my phone off at night. Thanks.
    10-13-13 05:56 AM
    Benn charging my devices for the past... since rechargeable li-ion batteries and they have all been fine. Only batteries with memory have that iddues and i dont think they make those anymore.
    CDM76 likes this.
    10-13-13 06:05 AM
    Watch your phone charging icon when charging it flashes or has a lightning bolt flashing, something to indicate current is flowing in to charge the battery. When that indicator stops, current is no longer flowing! The charging circuit has closed not allowing anymore to flow into the battery!

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 and jupiter8 like this.
    10-13-13 06:15 AM
    I am not sure how practical it would be to NOT charge overnight. If I want it fully charged for the day, overnight would seem to be the only choice - unless I'm willing to cater completely to my phone and set and alarm for the middle of the night so I get up and take it off the charger. So again, as a practical matter and whether it is a good or bad practice, I charge overnight and leave it to the phone's systems to protect it from overcharging or undercharging or mal-charging.
    Cafeina likes this.
    10-13-13 09:30 AM
    I've been charging my Blackberries overnight since 2007. My 8100 lasted 3 years and was still good when I replaced it with the 9800. And it lasted 2 and a half years. Although the battery in the 9800 was getting weak towards the end. But apparently that happened with a lot of Torch batteries.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    10-13-13 09:34 AM
    What I used to do is put it on charge around 7 and then take it off before sleep. I have been noticing that the battery drops as i am sleeping though. I slept yesterday and it was a 20% drop in 11 hours, only in bedside mode, though i think wifi was on. Does that affect battery?
    10-13-13 09:48 AM
    With wifi on, battery usage should be lower, cos there would be less power used to search for a signal for your data usage.

I usually put my on the charger overnight. So far so good, no issues at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 09:55 AM
    The phone has protection built into capacitance charging, it will charge to 99-100% then discharge a percent and charge again.

It's very safe.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, eldricho and jupiter8 like this.
    10-13-13 10:01 AM
    But is the battery drop normal?
    10-13-13 10:06 AM
    Well, here's my two cents, about all it's worth. I never leave my phone on a charger over night. Paranoia, yes. But have read a number of people with failed phones upon waking in the morning after they'd been on charge all night. It's a little easier on T-mo with wifi calling as I can set the phone to "wifi-only" and it shuts down the cell radios so no hunting for a signal and the battery says fresh. But I still have all call functions. If I absolutely must have a 100% battery first thing, I have a battery charging thing so I can charge a second battery on its own.
    10-13-13 10:22 AM
    I personally always put my phone on the charger before bed and leave it til I wake up. No problems with it for me.
    10-13-13 10:44 AM
    What I used to do is put it on charge around 7 and then take it off before sleep. I have been noticing that the battery drops as i am sleeping though. I slept yesterday and it was a 20% drop in 11 hours, only in bedside mode, though i think wifi was on. Does that affect battery?
    Yes, it's normal for your battery to drop while you're sleeping. Your phone is still on for 11 hours. If I'm not mistaken bedside mode isn't any different than normal mode except it silences all notifications and rings. It still gets phone calls and texts and it still checks your accounts as I understand it. You just don't get notified. I could be very wrong about it though. If you want to have great battery life overnight and not get woken up, turn on Airplane mode. Your alarm will work, but you can't get phone calls, texts, or emails, but your battery drain will be tiny.

If you're worried about missing phone calls and texts, then turn off data. You're not going to be reading emails when you're sleeping. You'll check it when you wake up which will happen when you turn data back on.

Well, here's my two cents, about all it's worth. I never leave my phone on a charger over night. Paranoia, yes. But have read a number of people with failed phones upon waking in the morning after they'd been on charge all night. It's a little easier on T-mo with wifi calling as I can set the phone to "wifi-only" and it shuts down the cell radios so no hunting for a signal and the battery says fresh. But I still have all call functions. If I absolutely must have a 100% battery first thing, I have a battery charging thing so I can charge a second battery on its own.
    I've never had a problem with a phone failing after charging all night and I did that frequently with my previous cellphones. I've done it once or twice with the Z10 and never had a problem either, but like you I have a battery charging thing where I just swap batteries and put my dead battery into the external charger to charge.
    10-13-13 12:10 PM
    I am not sure how practical it would be to NOT charge overnight. If I want it fully charged for the day, overnight would seem to be the only choice - unless I'm willing to cater completely to my phone and set and alarm for the middle of the night so I get up and take it off the charger. So again, as a practical matter and whether it is a good or bad practice, I charge overnight and leave it to the phone's systems to protect it from overcharging or undercharging or mal-charging.
    Totally agree. I always charge it overnight and it lasts all day. I've been doing this with Z10 for over 8 months and before that with all my previous BlackBerry's.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 12:16 PM
    If you don't charge over night and you have greater than EDGE data speed, your z10 will be dead by the time you wake up. I'd rather charge overnight than drain my battery needlessly

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 12:22 PM
    Do not leave lithium ion batteries plugged in For more than 3 hours is the guideline. No one actually follows this though. It's the most convenient time to charge overnight.

Do a little research on lith ion batteries. There's so much incorrect info and myths out there.
    10-13-13 12:28 PM
    Do not leave lithium ion batteries plugged in For more than 3 hours is the guideline. No one actually follows this though. It's the most convenient time to charge overnight.

Do a little research on lith ion batteries. There's so much incorrect info and myths out there.
    3 Hours? Nope.

My T-Mobile manual mentions nothing about charging, other than where to plug in the connection.

This BlackBerry link for Z10 battery usage does not mention anything about 3 hours. Battery and power - How To - BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - 10.0.0

Please provide a link from BlackBerry (only BlackBerry), that corroborates your 3 hour guideline.
    Last edited by jupiter8; 10-13-13 at 02:41 PM.
    10-13-13 01:33 PM