I tried to charge my Z10 by using the Samsung S4 charger which carries an Output of 5.0V - 2.0A as compared to the Blackberry charges which carries an output of 5.0V - 0.75A. Charging time has shorten significantly.
    Am I allow to do this? I plan to connect the S4 charger to the battery bundle charger.
    Thank you.
    12-17-13 01:48 AM
    If heat develops... probably not a great idea to keep using this one....most electronics don't like heat...

Trusted Member Genius on a Z10
    12-17-13 01:51 AM
    I used a Samsung charger once and it messed up my phone. Switched back to BlackBerry charger and everything was fine. BlackBerry says not to use other chargers. The BlackBerry Premium Charger will charge the phone about twice as quickly.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 04:21 AM
    BB10 devices strictly recommend that you use the charger that comes out of the box. Any higher or lower voltage have a risk of damaging the battery life, and the battery itself. I also use a portable powerbank, because the battery life on my Z10 is not all that good. But what I notice is that my battery drains much faster after being charged by the powerbank, as opposed to when charged from the official BB10 charger.
    12-17-13 05:03 AM
    Thank you everyone! Will stick to original BlackBerry charger.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-17-13 05:04 AM
    I used a Samsung charger once and it messed up my phone. Switched back to BlackBerry charger and everything was fine. BlackBerry says not to use other chargers. The BlackBerry Premium Charger will charge the phone about twice as quickly.

Posted via CB10
    Is the premium charger the one that comes with the phone?
    12-17-13 05:37 AM
    Get the Blackberry Premium Charger. I use it since the Playbook was out. It really charges your phone A LOT faster

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 06:16 AM
    Not only you I use it over the bob charger Charging My Z10 by using Samsung S4 Charger.-imageuploadedbycb-forums1387282477.449708.jpg

Sent from my Christmas present :'D Z10
    12-17-13 06:19 AM
    I had no idea. We interchange chargers in our home between our BB, Samsung and Huawei.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10
    12-17-13 08:36 AM
    My charger that came with my z30 broke internally I am guessing. It does not recognize at all.. I too have been using a Samsung and iphone adapter for the time being.. others have told me this is fine, but I do want the premium charger eventually to get the faster charge time

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 09:09 AM
    the battery has built in charge control, it tailors the current to the charge level. at 10% charge my z10 battery pulls in 1200 ma and at 95 % charge it is only 154 ma. the charger that came with the phone can only output 750 ma thus the long charge time. i use a 4000 ma charger on my z10
    12-17-13 09:45 AM
    As long as it's built to meet USB power standards (5v for most devices), then it's only a matter of the max current it is rated to deliver. However, even if it's capable of delivering a higher current, it will not unless the device being charged/powered asks it to.

In other words, the voltage is established by the charger (and thus you should make sure it does not exceed the standard 5V usb charger standard). The current, on the other hand, is dictated by the load (device/battery), and it will only go as high as the load needs it to. If you use a charger rated at a too low a current, the device will charge slowly (or not charge) and the charger will feel very hot because it's being maxed out by the device. If you use a charger that is rated to deliver higher current than the device needs, then the charger will just deliver as much current as needed without any negative repercussions.

The only reason BlackBerry tells you to stick to the OEM charger is because there are so many shoddy 3rd party chargers out there, and they don't want to be responsible for any warranty claims arising from using crappy chargers.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 10:07 AM
    I'm sure you can use any Micro USB charger hence the name "Universal Side Bus". Some just vary in output power.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 10:08 AM
    Any USB charger with shorted data terminals will put the Z10 into rapid-charge mode. If not it'll charge at 500ma (dog slow.) Actual regulation of charge rate is done in the phone and is dependent both on charge state and temperature.

USB specifies the power pins as +5V/Gnd. All USB chargers output this. Period.

BlackBerry tells you to use theirs because there is so much Chineesium crap out there that they don't want to deal with blown up phones from garbage that has failed voltage regulators in it, and an appropriate means to deny warranty claims if you use a junk charger and blow it up as a consequence.

The Z10 can put in net charge rates of about 5 watts, which is just over 1A with 100% conversion at 5V. But, of course, there is no such thing as 100% efficiency and in addition the phone needs power at the same time. With a "sleeping" phone a charger that can deliver ~1.2A will max the charge rate. USB "high rate" chargers typically top out at 2A, which will provide enough energy to charge while the GPS is in use (e.g. a car charger) and thus those are nice for your car.

It just happens that BlackBerry makes a very nice high-rate, dual-output car charger that can be had cheap on Amazon. For home (AC power) use any high-rate USB charger from a reputable manufacturer is fine.

Note that chargers designed for Apple products do not short the data pins, they use DC voltage bias on the data pins instead. This won't hurt the phone but it will prevent it from going into high-charge-rate mode. Apple, like usual, ignored the standard and "designed their own", making chargers designed for their products work "less well" with anything else -- on purpose.
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-17-13 10:13 AM
    I'd stick with the charger its meant for.
    12-17-13 10:13 AM
    I'd stick with the charger its meant for.
    Using a standard USB charger for multiple devices reduces electronic waste,.. and clutter in your home. If you like electronic waste and clutter in your home then, by all means, go ahead... as long as we all know that it's not technically necessary.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 10:30 AM
    I'm sure you can use any Micro USB charger hence the name "Universal Side Bus". Some just vary in output power.

Posted via CB10
    Universal serial bus*

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 11:41 AM
    It makes no difference. The charger sold with the battery bundle is also a 2.0A charger.
    12-17-13 01:41 PM
    I would recommend original BlackBerry charger. After full wipe I ended with screwed battery indicator and my phone started to shut off at 73% of battery level. I finally managed to align battery meter with real battery state when started to charge Z10 with original charger.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 04:53 PM
    Just tried the S4 charger on my Z10, charging is fine and stop at 100%.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 04:58 PM
    The S4 charger works fine on the Z10. I've used SWMBO's charger several times with no ill effects.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 05:28 PM
    Using a standard USB charger for multiple devices reduces electronic waste,.. and clutter in your home. If you like electronic waste and clutter in your home then, by all means, go ahead... as long as we all know that it's not technically necessary.

And because of all the excess e-waste that has been created over the last few decades due to proprietary chargers for mass-produced electronic devices, legislation has been passed in various places to FORCE standardization to cut down on that waste. Both the EU and China have passed such laws, and various other places and standards bodies have also published such standards.

This is one of the key reasons why you see so many devices using Micro-USB ports for charging now - the vendors were compelled to do so by various international regulations. Using a charger compliant with that standard for multiple devices is the whole point of such standardization efforts.

As tickerguy points out, Apple likes to be the Black Sheep so they armtwisted various authorities and manage to get away with still using a proprietary connector by including a cable adapter in the box with their devices.
    12-18-13 01:31 AM
    Premium or stock BlackBerry charger nothing else.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-18-13 01:50 AM
    Anybody wanna try nitromethane in their car?.... lol...(I'm not responsible for anything that happens as a result of YOUR actions)....

Trusted Member Genius on a Z10
    12-20-13 12:42 AM
    I just charge it with my laptop charger, a Innergie mCube 95W

https://www.myinnergie.com/productde...6&languageid=1

Way faster than the blackberry charger that came with it. The Innergie states a 10W output for the USB output. Never had any problems.
    12-20-13 12:49 AM
35 12