Teen's prize-winning invention may charge your phone in 20 seconds - CNN.com

This would be great. I wouldn't have to worry about how quickly the battery on my Z10 is draining with each leaked OS anymore.

Mike
    TimJohnSmith and benny4u_06 like this.
    05-20-13 04:43 PM
    Go Flames Go.

That is pretty awesome. It would be pretty tough to lock in that talent but hopefully the technology is widely available within a few years.
    05-20-13 04:48 PM
    Someone in the comments confirmed my suspicions. She didn't create a new charging method, she did something even more remarkable and created a supercapacitor battery in the form factor of a cell phone battery. The charging of "automobile batteries" mentioned in the article likely refers to using supercapacitors in electric vehicles, an application that is already being researched.

Current cell phone batteries cannot be charged in 20 seconds, period. You cannot dump that amount of current in without burning up the battery. A supercapacitor has incredibly low internal resistance which allows rapid charging - normal capacitors have similar properties but lack the "super" characteristic of retaining a charge long-term.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Pandastrong likes this.
    05-20-13 05:01 PM
    Someone in the comments confirmed my suspicions. She didn't create a new charging method, she did something even more remarkable and created a supercapacitor battery in the form factor of a cell phone battery. The charging of "automobile batteries" mentioned in the article likely refers to using supercapacitors in electric vehicles, an application that is already being researched.

Current cell phone batteries cannot be charged in 20 seconds, period. You cannot dump that amount of current in without burning up the battery. A supercapacitor has incredibly low internal resistance which allows rapid charging - normal capacitors have similar properties but lack the "super" characteristic of retaining a charge long-term.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Oh sure, use reality to spoil our dream!!! Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 05:20 PM