The latest leaked OS will probably help.

Posted via CB10
    I use Mac's and the autoloader function does not work for Mac OS and I have tried to get the device to communicate properly on my VM Ware (XP Pro) and the BB Link software sees my z10 but all the functions i.e Restore, Backup etc are grayed out.

I have used my XP Pro to root every android device I have ever had and communicates fine when them and for some unknown reason, the BB Link software doe not work properly with my z10? So I am stuck with 10.0.1.85 until these US carriers get off their *** and release it to us.
    06-06-13 10:30 AM
    OP:
    Thank you for those beautiful words. Very well put.

06-06-13 10:31 AM
    Appreciate the acknowledgment. Thanks. If your in Chicago beer on me.

Posted via CB10
    next time I am in chicago I will take you up on that :-)
    06-06-13 11:12 AM
    I think that the dissenters/deserters have a role, too. Companies don't think about making changes until they begin to lose customers. Look at Apple and the many iPhone customers that they have. They haven't made many changes recently, probably because they keep adding customers with what they are already doing. BlackBerry/RIM lost many customers; they made a change to address some of the needs that they weren't meeting for those customers. Will they get many of those customers back? Time will tell the story.

I think that many things lead to positive changes for companies. I don't put customer loyalty high on that list, though.
    06-06-13 11:13 AM
    Holy sweet **** someone with common sense, and I came in here expecting to have a bashing war started. Well I stand corrected, damn good write up OP, definitely hit the nail with that one. Kudos.
    Thanks Kris. I have my moments :-)
    Kris Simundson likes this.
    06-06-13 11:14 AM
    And while you're at it, OP, you might wanna give a big hat tip to the BlackBerry fangirls who have also had the raw brass to stand in the face of device populism, and not given in to pressure, either.
    I apologize for my oversight. LONG LIVE BLACKBERRY FANGIRLS!! WELL DONE!!
    06-06-13 11:16 AM
    Slowly they can cajole management to put out the features on the platform that they need.
    I'm sorry, but this doesn't happen often
    I got my first Blackberry phone in 2009, the Bold 9700. Right off the bat, while I was blown away by the excellent email capabilities and the stellar battery life, I found myself SEVERELY frustrated by the need for frequent battery pulls (and other stuff like the ALT, L, G, L, G combination) to keep the phone ticking on. Basically, RIM had repeatedly gimped the hardware, scrimping on the available RAM...and thus necessitating the battery pulls. At least I think that's the reason.
    Did Fanboys complain? No. They just sucked it up and continued yanking out the batteries every so often to keep the phone running smoothly. People started giving advice on optimal times to remove batteries ("take them out just after getting out of bed"). If you complained too much, folks were quick to point to the 'Quickpull' app and the button combo to soft-reset the phone.
    To this day, we see the same attitude on CB when folks rightly complain about battery life...we are all too willing to allow for short-sightedness on the OEM's part and cling to 'remedies' like 'carry around a second battery'

So...I find that the Fanboys just put up a blind defence of their favorite brand, pretend to themselves everything is ok. You'd see editorials on CB proclaiming that all battery issues on the OS7 devices were fixed with 7.1...but nobody thought to ask why, if that were so, was every single leaked and hybrid OS post greeted with the same question on whether battery life improvements were there. I won't even get started on the 'tools not toys' rubbish.

I don't think it's any positive to be a 'Fanboy'. A passionate supporter, yes. A loyal customer, even better. But Fanboys put aside the salient fact that they NEED to be able to dish out honest criticism and practice tough love towards their favorite company...and that sucks. When you complain and criticize, you often get results. Had there been demand early enough for gaming on Blackberry devices, RIM may have done the common sense thing and included a GPU in the OS6 devices, bringing early gaming to the BB fold and thus retaining a significant number of users. It was criminal, suicidal even, not to include a GPU for 3D gaming in your flagship phone in 2009, but probably bolstered by the 'tools not toys' mantra, RIM left that out.

Funny enough, the same Fanboys we had making jokes about 'fart apps' on iOS and Android are the ones screeching at Reed Hastings to make a BB10 Netflix app or face financial ruin
    21stNow, litig8or98 and Berry_Pink like this.
    06-06-13 11:22 AM
    Nice! Not a question of faith for me, but of good products that do what I want. Secure communication, an IM platform that shows each step of a conversation, a tablet that integrates well with the phone (pre-Z10 of course) and has a portable form factor, etc. While they did have a lapse in keeping up with phone technology, they came out with a great tablet during this period that kept me engaged. Now there's BB10!
    Add the fact that I have not seen any indicators that BBRY is an evil corporation, like Google, collecting private data on a large scale. And I have seen no stories of BBRY using sweatshop manufacturers, like Apple has (tho most tech manufacturers do). This gives me a comfort level with my investment too.
    Go BBRY! (Excuse the fanboy outburst...)
    06-06-13 11:22 AM
    This post was great but I'm not a fan of the term Fanboy. It makes it seem like all us FANS are just children. I am a fan of Blackberry and proud to be one. I am a fan of many things but I don't talk about it as much as I do about Blackberry in these forums. Cheers everyone.

Edit: You know I guess this thread can turn it around. Next time someone calls me a fanboy, I can at least be that much more proud to be considered in good company.
    Elite1 likes this.
    06-06-13 12:25 PM
    I... I can't believe I finally get to use THIS one!

And to get such a post right during Talk Mobile time is even more awesome.

This post was great but I'm not a fan of the term Fanboy. It makes it seem like all us FANS are just children. I am a fan of Blackberry and proud to be one. I am a fan of many things but I don't talk about it as much as I do about Blackberry in these forums. Cheers everyone.

Edit: You know I guess this thread can turn it around. Next time someone calls me a fanboy, I can at least be that much more proud to be considered in good company.
    I agree and I gotta say "isheep" isn't much better either. But the point he makes is valid.

Like I always say, competition is good. I just hope all of us can learn to cheer for what we like without trashing what we choose not to use!
    eddy_berry and Elite1 like this.
    06-06-13 01:00 PM
    I'm sorry, but this doesn't happen often
    I got my first Blackberry phone in 2009, the Bold 9700. Right off the bat, while I was blown away by the excellent email capabilities and the stellar battery life, I found myself SEVERELY frustrated by the need for frequent battery pulls (and other stuff like the ALT, L, G, L, G combination) to keep the phone ticking on. Basically, RIM had repeatedly gimped the hardware, scrimping on the available RAM...and thus necessitating the battery pulls. At least I think that's the reason.
    Did Fanboys complain? No. They just sucked it up and continued yanking out the batteries every so often to keep the phone running smoothly. People started giving advice on optimal times to remove batteries ("take them out just after getting out of bed"). If you complained too much, folks were quick to point to the 'Quickpull' app and the button combo to soft-reset the phone.
    To this day, we see the same attitude on CB when folks rightly complain about battery life...we are all too willing to allow for short-sightedness on the OEM's part and cling to 'remedies' like 'carry around a second battery'

So...I find that the Fanboys just put up a blind defence of their favorite brand, pretend to themselves everything is ok. You'd see editorials on CB proclaiming that all battery issues on the OS7 devices were fixed with 7.1...but nobody thought to ask why, if that were so, was every single leaked and hybrid OS post greeted with the same question on whether battery life improvements were there. I won't even get started on the 'tools not toys' rubbish.

I don't think it's any positive to be a 'Fanboy'. A passionate supporter, yes. A loyal customer, even better. But Fanboys put aside the salient fact that they NEED to be able to dish out honest criticism and practice tough love towards their favorite company...and that sucks. When you complain and criticize, you often get results. Had there been demand early enough for gaming on Blackberry devices, RIM may have done the common sense thing and included a GPU in the OS6 devices, bringing early gaming to the BB fold and thus retaining a significant number of users. It was criminal, suicidal even, not to include a GPU for 3D gaming in your flagship phone in 2009, but probably bolstered by the 'tools not toys' mantra, RIM left that out.

Funny enough, the same Fanboys we had making jokes about 'fart apps' on iOS and Android are the ones screeching at Reed Hastings to make a BB10 Netflix app or face financial ruin
    I think it depends on your definition of fanboys. I think the type of fanboy being mentioned in this post is fine. The ones that love their platform and stuck with it, always wanting it to improve things. Never losing site of what's important to them. They are likely the reason Blackberry survived long enough to get BB10 out the door.

The type of fanboy you're describing (and I know several people here who perfectly fit that description) seem more like fanatical zealots to me than real fans. They're the ones who spread misinformation, revel in the pain of others, attack folks who don't share their views, and just generally make the forums and fan sites painful at times. They give the other Blackberry fans a bad name.

Edit: after reading through the thread a bit more, I want to clarify that I don't 100% agree with the OPs idea of what constitutes a fanboy, and don't totally agree with the idea that they are the sole reason a company is successful. In fact, I think at times they are the reason that Blackberry floundered.

The people that I think are best for the company are the type that I described above imo, and they're what I like to think of as fanboys. I'll use someone as an example (and I hope they don't mind) but she is a great example of what a fangirl is in my mind, and people like her can definitely lend to Blackberry's success. Talking of course about Q. She loves her BB phones, but knows their limits. She praises the good and criticizes the bad. She recognizes her own needs, but also understands the needs of others. She speaks out when incorrect statements are made, on both sides of the argument. She's stuck with BB through think and thin, as have many. She'd have no problem recommending a Z10 to someone if it fit their needs, but she won't cram it down their throat.

This is the type of fanboy(girl) that Blackberry or any company needs. These are the people that make this company (and community) better.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 06-06-13 at 03:05 PM.
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    06-06-13 01:35 PM
    Fanboys are not necessarily a bad thing, I�ll agree. For a company to have a loyal fan base to stick with it through a rough patch can be important. However, for the most part, I don�t agree that fanboys are to be applauded. Although OP has cited some �touchy, feely� arguments in favour, the reality is, unless you have enough fanboys such that, through their purchases, they can keep the company afloat, then they�re really not doing that much good.

The OP has posited that the fanboys are the ones that make noise, and by doing so, help the manufacturer to improve. However, that is simply not the case. Scroll through the forums. When someone complains (therefore, not a fanboy) that the Z10 is missing Netflix, the fanboy response is not �that�s a valid point�allow me to write an email to Blackberry�, but rather is more like, �meh�Netflix isn�t there. So you don�t need it�. Fanboys, in furtherance of their blind support, are perfectly happy to satisfice.

Further, I submit that fanboys are, by their very nature, biased. And a biased opinion is a useless opinion. I may go to the Rogers or Bell kiosk and ask what they think the best smartphone is; I won�t ask the same question at the Apple store. I already know the answer they�ll give me. An opinion subject to bias helps no one, as that person is blind to all but that which they want to see.

An example: there are plenty of threads here that discuss/complain/inquire about random reboots. I challenge anyone to find me such a thread that does not contain a plethora of responses along the lines of �I don�t have random reboots!� And these may well be perfectly honest responses. But nowhere does the fanboy say �I don�t have random reboots, however I acknowledge you are having a problem, and this points to a bigger problem of inconsistency and unreliability on the production line.�

For my part, I�m still debating what I want for an upgrade. My 9900 is still on my hip, however I�ve got an HTC One on my desk for test-drive purposes (no SIM card in it yet). The biggest factor driving me away from Blackberry is the lack of honest, reliable praise for the devices. Sure, I can find plenty of praise in these forums, but I�m not pinning much to that praise. Most of the fanboys have lost credibility with me. The best support I�ve seen for getting a new Blackberry was the interview with Kevin O�Leary�the opposite of a fanboy�a phone agnostic.

Faith is nice. Loyalty is great. However they don�t mean nearly as much to a shareholder as the bottom line. There�s no room for �allegiance� on a balance sheet, and CEO�s and shareholders don�t sleep better at night because of a handful of blind faithful willing to go down with the ship. They�re more concerned with those that will keep the ship afloat.
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    06-06-13 02:12 PM
    So let me clarify my definition of a fan boy. I see everyone has their take on it. I specifically said these are the ones who make noise and cajole the company to do better even though they are sticking with them. So I am not talking zealots, though I must say they also have their place in society. My definition of a fanboy is Kevin! If you fit that mold you are who I am talking about. You may also understand a fierce defense when you criticize unfairly.

I must also concede that at different times in a company's life cycle they may need different kinds of fanboys. At times they may need people to leave them in droves and sometimes they need people to stick with them.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 01:55 PM
    Good post....

It's the loyal to Blackberry people who will keep it together till the launches of the new range are complete and the tweeks to the OS are done ...

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 02:00 PM
    Great post! Well said...
    06-30-13 02:04 PM
    Welcome back, OP! Enjoy your Z, the finest mobile computing device available today.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 02:24 PM
    So let me clarify my definition of a fan boy. I see everyone has their take on it. I specifically said these are the ones who make noise and cajole the company to do better even though they are sticking with them. So I am not talking zealots, though I must say they also have their place in society. My definition of a fanboy is Kevin! If you fit that mold you are who I am talking about. You may also understand a fierce defense when you criticize unfairly.

I must also concede that at different times in a company's life cycle they may need different kinds of fanboys. At times they may need people to leave them in droves and sometimes they need people to stick with them.

Posted via CB10
    Whilst I agree that the type of fan boys you are specifically talking about are needed, they still don't help a company to survive and change as well as a loyalist who complains about a problem without bashing.

I think what others in this thread are getting at is that the term fan boy automatically makes you think of the zealots on this forum and they will most likely use this thread as a dedication and justification to themselves instead of the type of people you actually mean.

Sent from my Jiayu G3S using Tapatalk 4 beta
    06-30-13 03:26 PM
42 12