Before I start, I know this is not an apples to apples comparison. I am a pc guy (no mac in my house) and cannot imagine having to wait for the vendor of my latest laptop to push a patch or other upgrade from microsoft update. Yes, I know it has to be tested on carrier systems but I would hope BB had the resources to just by up gsm/cdma phones with sims (or no sim)from different carriers and see if it works. Doesn't seen that difficult to me.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    04-30-13 06:11 PM
    Yes, I know it has to be tested on carrier systems but I would hope BB had the resources to just by up gsm/cdma phones with sims (or no sim)from different carriers and see if it works. Doesn't seen that difficult to me.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    It's not as easy as it sounds. A lot of tests are done in carrier labs.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 06:16 PM
    Release OS like those legacy device. It is in BRRY interest to iron out the bugs themselves. Not relying on carriers to push out.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    04-30-13 06:23 PM
    And the labs of us brave people doing leaked versions. Either works or it doesn't. BB's engineers are surely capable of buying, say,an at&t version, and testing it. Like I said it works or it doesn't, if it doesn't tweak it until it does.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    04-30-13 06:24 PM
    Speaking of such...when's a realistic guess to when a carrier like T-Mobile or AT&T in the US will see 10.1 on Z10?

~STV
    04-30-13 06:26 PM
    No clue - I do the punishing route of the leaks

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    04-30-13 06:51 PM
    10.1 is expected in May for NA Z10 owners.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10.
    04-30-13 06:56 PM
    It's not as easy as it sounds. A lot of tests are done in carrier labs.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it is as hard as you make it sound. Developers have fully functioning versions of Android released 1day to a week after Google releases the source code. The carriers take weeks if not months. It took Verizon over 4 months to release Jelly Bean on the Nexus. Nexus devices are suppose to receive the updates as soon as Google posts it (when the are the current gen Nexus). I had it on my Nexus a few days after Google released the source.

OP if you want the latest and greatest without carrier intervention, just install the leaks.
    04-30-13 06:56 PM
    I think that the carriers hold on to OS opdates to insure there are no work arounds to services they charge for. As well as security issues that may be used to corrupt or crash cell networks. It is a business they are running to create profits after all.
    igotaq likes this.
    04-30-13 07:03 PM
    I do install the leaks AVT - I am nothing more than a lab rat. As much as I try to resist installing leaks, my temptation for the latest and greatest gets the best of me.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    04-30-13 07:20 PM
    Most people that do not work in IT seem to have a hard time understanding what it really takes to push out an update. It's just not as simple as you may think to identify, discuss, approve and make the changes. Then to process the new code, recompile the code and fully test it. This all has to be done while taking into account all of the different permutations such as chipsets, firmware versions, communication standards (GSM, CDMA) not to mention the different carriers.

Unfortunately, there is NO easy button!

And personally, I prefer that BlackBerry and my carrier NOT use my "Rush Job Policy"...

If you want it bad, You'll get it BAD. And the worse you want it, the worse you'll get it!
    04-30-13 07:32 PM
    I do install the leaks AVT - I am nothing more than a lab rat. As much as I try to resist installing leaks, my temptation for the latest and greatest gets the best of me.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Then keep on doing it because that's the best you can do. Unless you switch to a GSM Nexus or an iPhone you will never have updates as soon as the manufacturer releases them.
    04-30-13 07:40 PM
    10.1 is expected in May for NA Z10 owners.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10.
    So that means effectively any time before but likely right before June 1st, right? Lol FML

~STV
    04-30-13 07:54 PM
    Ok but what about unlocked device? Why they don't get update directly from BlackBerry? I know it's not easy to push an Update but how do it Apple or Android for Nexus?

Posted via Zzzzzzzzzz10
    SunnyFL likes this.
    04-30-13 08:02 PM
    Sklotz, I am in IT and a system admin for our company. Test it on a native carrier device, retest etc and move on... As other posters have suggested it is more about carriers protecting their profit streams and workarounds, which I have no problem with as a "greedy" capitalist, but the manufacturer owns the product development process and has become a captive of the carriers. This is precisely why they give dev units to developers. Onw would think the OEM could have their own carrier dev units. I mean, really?

Still living my Z10 btw, and will be carrying a Q in the other "Holster" when available in the US AT&T.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    04-30-13 08:40 PM