So I just got my new Z10 from AT&T and while I really like it overall compared to my Torch, I've run in to one big issue: I can't send e-mail from it!

I run my own web server, and thus also my own e-mail account. I copied the SMTP and IMAP settings from my desktop e-mail client (windows live mail) over to the blackberry, but I keep on getting this error message on the e-mail setup page:

"The server for account MyAccountName - [email protected] [mail.mydomain.com, port: 465] can't be reached. The settings might be incorrect or the server could be temporarily offline. Check your settings and try again."

It does let me save the settings, however. This basically means that while I'm able to receive e-mail perfectly fine, I can't send anything because it can't reach the SMTP server.

I saw somebody with a similar issue on the blackberry forums (on a playbook), but their workaround didn't work for me: Re: Can't set up SMTP Server on OS 2.0 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Just to make sure that it's not my e-mail's fault, I went ahead and tried setting up the same e-mail account on my girlfriend's iphone, and it was able to send and receive just fine with the same exact settings.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is this a bug in BB10? If I can't get this to work, then I'm afraid I'm going to have to go back to the Torch (or get a 9900) until it's fixed

P.S. I also tried changing the SMTP port to 25 and disabling SSL (my server supports both ports), but that resulted in the same error. I do have a second school e-mail account (they use Exchange), and that can send/receive just fine on the Z10.
    03-22-13 03:13 PM
    Is the z10 and test iPhone on the same network? Sounds like it is being blocked by a firewall.
    03-22-13 03:22 PM
    It's a known issue. Please see the following post and links within it for more information:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rsions-779341/

Truly a shame they didn't fix that in time for the AT&T launch.

I've been trying to get someone who got an official AT&T Z10 to tell me the software versions on those devices, to add to the mental/public knowledgebase on the issue. Can you check this for me please? Swipe down from the top, go to settings, it's either the "About" or "Software Update" page, should see a screen there like the following - interested in the "Software Release" number and "OS version" number. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Can't send e-mail via SMTP on Z10-software_version_page.jpg  
    Mic_JP likes this.
    03-22-13 03:41 PM
    When I tested they iphone they were both on the same network (wi-fi, same one as my desktop actually). But I got the same exact error when using LTE...
    03-22-13 03:45 PM
    It's a known issue. Please see the following post and links within it for more information:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rsions-779341/

Truly a shame they didn't fix that in time for the AT&T launch.

I've been trying to get someone who got an official AT&T Z10 to tell me the software versions on those devices, to add to the mental/public knowledgebase on the issue. Can you check this for me please? Swipe down from the top, go to settings, it's either the "About" or "Software Update" page, should see a screen there like the following - interested in the "Software Release" number and "OS version" number. Thanks.
    Thanks for the link.

Software release: 10.0.10.88
    OS Version: 10.0.10.684

BTW, do you know if AT&T provides a SMTP server that I might be able to use for outgoing mail as a temporary workaround?
    03-22-13 03:47 PM
    Thanks for the link.

Software release: 10.0.10.88
    OS Version: 10.0.10.684

BTW, do you know if AT&T provides a SMTP server that I might be able to use for outgoing mail as a temporary workaround?

Thanks for the info.

Yes they do, it has a rather unconventional hostname of "cwmx.com", apparently. See the following:

AT&T outgoing e-mail (SMTP) server policy
    03-22-13 04:10 PM
    Ahh, now that "cwmx.com" makes sense. Probably used to be "Cingular Wireless mail exchanger". AT&T bought Cingular Wireless years ago. The DNS for that domain points to a legacy Cingular hostname..
    03-22-13 04:12 PM
    I actually saw that KB article earlier, but I thought it was outdated. My Z10 says "the server cwmx.com for your account is not responding" after displaying the "saving" message for about 30 seconds

Thanks for the info.

Yes they do, it has a rather unconventional hostname of "cwmx.com", apparently. See the following:

AT&T outgoing e-mail (SMTP) server policy
    03-22-13 04:53 PM
    Be sure to contact your carrier regarding this so it can be pushed to BlackBerry. The more people reporting this, this higher priority it will get.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 04:57 PM
    I actually saw that KB article earlier, but I thought it was outdated. My Z10 says "the server cwmx.com for your account is not responding" after displaying the "saving" message for about 30 seconds
    The hostname does resolve to an IP address (166.216.136.25) even outside of AT&T's network. I don't think I can connect to it from outside their network, going to check that in a minute.
    03-22-13 05:01 PM
    Had same issue for the first day. On one.com for emails. The issue was disable push and the encryption. Hopefully should work for you. I did drive me mad for days it should simply but it's a BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 05:11 PM
    Same issue here. After spending over $300 on outside IT, I found these threads. How do you do the US launch with this bug outstanding????
    03-22-13 07:59 PM
    Same issue here. After spending over $300 on outside IT, I found these threads. How do you do the US launch with this bug outstanding????
    Good question.

One problem probably has to do with the fact that all the updates are controlled-by and filtered-through the carriers.

My faith in Verizon's professionalism and thoroughness will once again be reinforced if they manage to release their Z10's on 3/28 without this bug, unlike AT&T.
    03-22-13 08:11 PM
    It's frustrating to say the least.

After disabling SSL for the IMAP connection and disabling push as suggested above, I was able to get outgoing mail to work through the cwmx.com server, but it seems to take forever for messages to get delivered. It's disappointing to see a blackberry fail at communicating like this. I hope BB releases a fix very soon (but IMHO they should have just kept BIS around, I will miss it).
    03-22-13 08:25 PM
    When I tested they iphone they were both on the same network (wi-fi, same one as my desktop actually). But I got the same exact error when using LTE...
    You have identified the issue. The firewall / router is not configured to allow inbound traffic on port 465. Plus your SMTP server might not be configured to handle port 465. Can you try using the SMTP server of your ISP for outbound email? Do you have a DNS record for your mail server?

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    03-22-13 08:35 PM
    The hostname does resolve to an IP address (166.216.136.25) even outside of AT&T's network. I don't think I can connect to it from outside their network, going to check that in a minute.
    Telnet to your email server from inside the network and externally.

03-22-13 08:39 PM
    I generally never use wifi, but in this case the SMTPS server was working just fine from the iphone and from my laptop. As others have stated in this thread, it seems that the Z10 just doesn't implement the protocol properly.

Just to make sure I used telnet to connect to my SMTP server on port 465, and I got a response (also tested port 25 and that worked too).

You have identified the issue. The firewall / router is not configured to allow inbound traffic on port 465. Plus your SMTP server might not be configured to handle port 465. Can you try using the SMTP server of your ISP for outbound email? Do you have a DNS record for your mail server?

singhavi likes this.
    03-22-13 08:39 PM
    It's frustrating to say the least.

After disabling SSL for the IMAP connection and disabling push as suggested above, I was able to get outgoing mail to work through the cwmx.com server, but it seems to take forever for messages to get delivered. It's disappointing to see a blackberry fail at communicating like this. I hope BB releases a fix very soon (but IMHO they should have just kept BIS around, I will miss it).
    Is the delay of email delivery arising at the SMTP or IMAP server? The fact it is a known issue yet BlackBerry failed to address it in an update is disconcertingly typical of the company sadly.

03-22-13 08:43 PM
    Is the delay of email delivery arising at the SMTP or IMAP server? The fact it is a known issue yet BlackBerry failed to address it in an update is disconcertingly typical of the company sadly.

I think it's a combination of the fact that a. ATT's SMTP server is slower than my server and b. there is no push (compared to my torch). It's not a big deal, but I'm sort of used to replying to e-mails within seconds (not minutes) of receiving them.
    03-22-13 09:39 PM
    Those of you who have new AT&T Z10 devices - AT&T has released a new firmware update for the Z10 with the highest OS version level I've seen so far. (See below)

I'm crossing my fingers that an SMTP fix might have made it into that release. Can you folks update your new AT&T devices and let us know if it has any impact on the outgoing authenticated SMTP issue? You can do an update either over the air from the device itself, or via the Blackberry Link desktop software.

Version numbers on the AT&T update:

Software Release: 10.0.10.116
    OS Version: 10.0.10.822
    Attached Thumbnails Can't send e-mail via SMTP on Z10-software_version_page-2.png  
    03-23-13 03:46 AM
    Here's what worked for me!
    AT&T only

Set the SMTP server to cwmx.com
    Empty user name
    Empty password
    SSL Off
    Port 25
    WIFI MUST BE OFF WHEN SENDING - AT&T's cwmx.com server will not let you use its network over arbitrary WIFI
    - You can have WIFI On at other times (to watch YouTube etc), but when you want to send, make sure WIFI is OFF

Such a nice device, but a big SHAME on BB for not fixing this by now!!!!!
    03-27-13 01:27 PM
    Here's what worked for me!
    AT&T only

Set the SMTP server to cwmx.com
    Empty user name
    Empty password
    SSL Off
    Port 25
    WIFI MUST BE OFF WHEN SENDING - AT&T's cwmx.com server will not let you use its network over arbitrary WIFI
    - You can have WIFI On at other times (to watch YouTube etc), but when you want to send, make sure WIFI is OFF

Such a nice device, but a big SHAME on BB for not fixing this by now!!!!!

Yes, that's a known workaround for AT&T users, though you still may see garbled messages on the recipient side. Thanks for the data point.
    03-27-13 02:54 PM
    Any known workaround for us Telcel (Mexico ) users?

Thanks in advanced!
    04-10-13 05:19 PM
    I am having the exact same thing on tmo.

Can't send email via wifi over smtp.

Works fine on tmo network...(???!)

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 05:28 PM
    I am having the exact same thing on tmo.

Can't send email via wifi over smtp.

Works fine on tmo network...(???!)
    If it's working OK on the Tmobile network but not on WiFi it's probably because your email account(s) are setup to use the Tmobile outgoing email server and that will not be available when you are not connected to their data network.

In other news, AT&T's latest OS update for the Z10 seems to address at least 2 known email issues, including the "inability to send" issue, according to several posters here.

Once similiar updates are released for other carriers I would say there is a good chance it solve the main SMTP sending problem for most people.
    04-12-13 08:55 AM
27 12